Thread: R.I.P. Tom Clancy

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar

R.I.P. Tom Clancy

So Tom Clancy died today. While I am not happy that he's dead, I hope the following does happen:
    1) No more bland, boring, generic first-person shooters
    2) No more equally boring and bland movies (Hunt for Red October being a noticeable exception)

As a villain, it's my job to step on toes Those movies and games offer nothing and are an insult to movie-goers and gamers.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Tom Clancy video games are awesome and some of the films based on his works are very entertaining. Not read a single one of his books so can't comment on him as a writer tho.

They offer great characters and interesting stories with (in relation to the games) some damn fun game play.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Never read the books... didn't care much for the movies.

Really only played one of the Splinter Cell games... Chaos Theory, but frankly THAT was FANTASTIC. Really one of my favorite games I ever bought. This is in spite of my general dislike for 'stealth' OR 'First person Shooters'... Soemthing about this one though REALLY struck a chord with me.

it's just... FUN.

Widget
    i loved the first three movies. i haven't read any of his books yet and always intended to.

what a shame.
    Quarrels and Quills needs some talkative members. Check it out.

RPG Tools - need a name. come here

I've been playing Splinter Cell Blacklist nonstop since it came out.

But in actuality, Tom Clancy had very little to do with those games. He wrote the novel for Rainbow Six and the stories previously were set in the universe of his books although that's not been to relevant to those games recently.

His novels are quite good though. I've not read everything he's written but books like Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October are very tense, very well written military thrillers. The guy was a very influential author and his influence will be missed.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I think the title and first post of this thread is quite insulting to Tom Clancy. The guy entertained millions with his novels and the films based on them and he gave his name and blessings to some bloody good games. He deserves better.

The title sounds like SMP is glad he is gone and the first post (except for the first line of course) seems to support that. Even if you are not a fan of his work the guy should still be shown the respect he rightfully deserves.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; October 2, 2013 at 10:46pm.

Master of New Adventures!
    Authors, myself being one of them, would give almost anything to have written a novel that came even remotely close to the quality of THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. If he wrote nothing else he would have been a literary lion.

R.I.P.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang
    I think the title and first post of this thread is quite insulting to Tom Clancy. The title sounds like SMP is glad he is gone and the first post (except for the first line of course) seems to support that.
    I did say I'm a villain, thus I CAN speak ill of the dead

(in all seriousness, I'm surprised you think I like this turn of events. I know full well that he had no direct say over those, and maybe now they won't be milking his death. I also did not touch the books as I never read the books, and I have no ill towards the man himself. However, the bad games and bad movies are far more disrespectful than this forum thread.)

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    His books were generally much better than the movies based on them. Never played the video games so... there we are. RIP Mr. Clancy, I did enjoy your work.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    RIP, Tom Clancy!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post

--SMP
    I never said that you liked the fact he is dead, I simply pointed out that your post could be read that way. Oh and considering that the movies and games are loved by millions of ppl and he endorsed them all (Sam Fisher wouldn't have got his iconic goggles if TC hadn't gave the go ahead) I don't think they are in the least bit disrespectful

Master of New Adventures!
    Your choice, of course, but Native Americans would advise that you're treading on extremely dangerous ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post

--SMP