Thread: Netflix Picks Up Four Marvel Live-Action Series

Netflix Picks Up Four Marvel Live-Action Series

Here’s the release from Disney and Netflix:

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.

Wow, this is actually huge news.

Netflix now will have more original, high end scripted shows than many cable networks.

I DO hope they all will live in the same universe. The problem, like with shield, is that they sometimes are forbidden to touch certain characters/stories because the movies may want to use them, which hinders the story telling ability.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Wow, this is actually huge news.

Netflix now will have more original, high end scripted shows than many cable networks.

I DO hope they all will live in the same universe. The problem, like with shield, is that they sometimes are forbidden to touch certain characters/stories because the movies may want to use them, which hinders the story telling ability.
    Well, we know the 4 new shows will all be in the same universe as they'll culminate with The Defenders miniseries - just like Iron Man, Cap, Thor and Hulk with Avengers.

I'm excited. And, unlike Shield it won't be as galling if they can't mention Fantastic Four or something, because I buy the grittier "Marvel Knights" side of Marvel as being it's own sort of cosmos. It'd be cool if AoS made a cameo or two now and then. I really love how they are doing this, though. It'd be interesting to see how well this works, and if all these series could get sequels, or how that's going to play out.

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Heroes for Hire.

Oh, baby.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    This project sounds cool, but isn't using 'Defenders' for the name a little weird? I know they have the whole non-standard membership thing, but this seems like an odd lineup for that title to me. I think of this pool of characters as the Marvel Knights, generally.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    This project sounds cool, but isn't using 'Defenders' for the name a little weird? I know they have the whole non-standard membership thing, but this seems like an odd lineup for that title to me. I think of this pool of characters as the Marvel Knights, generally.
    I think it makes sense because it sounds similar enough to Avengers that it'll provide a connection for non comic fans. The "A Team" (movie level threats) is the Avengers, the "street leve teaml" (TV budget threats) is the Defenders.

Marvel Knights is an imprint more than a team - especially since the term "Marvel" isn't used anywhere but outside branding. It would be like renaming "The Outsiders" into "The DC Heroes".

Heroic Warrior
    I have LONG wanted a Daredevil series. Honestly, I think he'd work better as a series then he would as a movie. Sort of a cross between Law and Order and... something that involves a lot of butt-kicking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Defenders are a team

I'm just wondering what team it will be....

Heroic Warrior
    This sounds AWESOME!

I'm most excited about a Jessica Jones TV series, but I'll happily watch all four TV series. And all the characters seem like a great fit for TV. The fact that they will all culminate in a TV mini-series is even more amazing.

As much as I enjoy the "lighter" aspects of Marvel's cinematic universe (and the SHIELD spin-off), I'm hopeful that these four TV series will have a slightly grittier and more mature tone. Sure, there can still be humour, but it would be nice if everything wasn't puppy dogs and cupcakes without any lasting battle wounds. Jessica Jone's backstory alone would seem to suggest a darker tone is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Defenders are a team

I'm just wondering what team it will be....
    Daredevil, Power Man, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Daredevil, Power Man, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones.
    Really...So that means that Dr. Strange will be a movie.....Hmm

That's the assumed line-up based on the stated idea of the 4 series culminating in The Defenders. They're basically doing the same thing they did with Avengers. Let the audience get to know and spend time with the principal characters in their own vehicles and then hit the ground running by teaming them all up as known quantities.

I'd imagine there might be some other characters included (like they did with Black Widow and Hawkeye), but I doubt Dr. Strange fits with "the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen." Plus Strange is likely to be in something with a much large FX budget than a Netflix original series.

For Iron Fist I REALLY hope they use the Matt Fraction/Ed Brubaker run as the template. It is a near perfect comic book run IMHO.

yeah Dr. Strange has been strongly hinted at being a movie in phase 3, after avengers 2, of the marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    For Iron Fist I REALLY hope they use the Matt Fraction/Ed Brubaker run as the template. It is a near perfect comic book run IMHO.
    Its, by far, the best the character has ever been. But I doubt it. Its a pretty epic, multi world/generation spanning story with more than its share of powers and creatures.

I bet its going to be a much more street level based martial arts character - and hopefully they'll keep the glowing fist FX.

true. However, if they received more than 1 seasons I could see them break it down.

If things went well they could have multiple seasons.

Season 1: intro to character, gets called back at the end of the season for a tournament.

Season 2: The tournament happens. Who doesn't like a mortal kombat like story line?

Season 3: return from tournament, perhaps civil war happens around this time?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its, by far, the best the character has ever been. But I doubt it. Its a pretty epic, multi world/generation spanning story with more than its share of powers and creatures.

I bet its going to be a much more street level based martial arts character - and hopefully they'll keep the glowing fist FX.
    OK will Ray park be playing him on TV?? he really wanted to play IF

OK will Ray park be playing him on TV?? he really wanted to play IF
    Can Ray Park act?

I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly don't know. I don't think I've ever seen him in a speaking role that required any range of emotions or actual acting ability beyond "fighting".

I think Ray Park is probably a bit too old for the part at this point.

Cabin in Hell’s Kitchen: Drew Goddard is Writing Marvel & Netflix’s DAREDEVIL

http://www.cinematallica.com/cabin-i...ixs-daredevil/