Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Why ... a scuba diver ..... in space !?

  1. #1
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,958

    Why ... a scuba diver ..... in space !?

    Obviously talking about Hydron what was the logic of having a scuba diver walking around in broad daylight wearing his full gear (oxigen mask, duck feet and all) ?

    I know i'm referring to a series where walking skeletons with eyes make sense, but what i want to know is if there was some purpose to this character, like something he was meant to do or be that really demanded him to be a scuba diver in space?

    PRobably mister Olesker is the right person to address this?

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Obviously talking about Hydron what was the logic of having a scuba diver walking around in broad daylight wearing his full gear (oxigen mask, duck feet and all) ?

    I know i'm referring to a series where walking skeletons with eyes make sense, but what i want to know is if there was some purpose to this character, like something he was meant to do or be that really demanded him to be a scuba diver in space?

    PRobably mister Olesker is the right person to address this?
    I always figured that the scuba diver suit was also a space suit.

  3. #3
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I always figured that the scuba diver suit was also a space suit.
    It would, if not for those bloody duck feet

  4. #4
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,474
    'Logic'? You ask for logic in an entertainment realm in which we've got a silver-clad surfer surfing through outer space ON A SURFBOARD?!!!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    'Logic'? You ask for logic in an entertainment realm in which we've got a silver-clad surfer surfing through outer space ON A SURFBOARD?!!!
    Agreed. There are so many characters just in the MOTU universe that defy logic, why single out a scuba diver in space?

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Nemisythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    1,492
    Astronauts practice in pools, and considering his harness could serve as a space engineered outfit I can see this being ok. The flipper feet, I'm sure it's only used for water and when he's aboard Starship Eternia, he does dress down and adapt to the environments and conditions when in battle.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

  7. #7
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,474
    Not to mention it being helpful if he had to lock horns with Slushhead in the Quagmi Swamp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Astronauts practice in pools, and considering his harness could serve as a space engineered outfit I can see this being ok. The flipper feet, I'm sure it's only used for water and when he's aboard Starship Eternia, he does dress down and adapt to the environments and conditions when in battle.

  8. #8
    wants Dragstor!!! Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Plains of Perpetua
    Posts
    13,883
    According to the UK annual, Hydron originated from the undersea city Orca, hence why he's wearing the scubasuit. The German comics went even further, telling that he spent much of his time searching the waters for a villain called "The Red Shan" who once killed Hydron's entire clan.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

  9. #9
    TWIGGET ENTHUSIAST! Swifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield, CT USA
    Posts
    1,591
    It's the same story in the cartoon, except the underwater city he comes from is called Serus. His sister Aquata still lives there and has pretty much taken over command since he left. Go back and watch the episode where this all is explained, it's one of the best in my opinion.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

  10. #10
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,471
    Hydron has a bit of a dual role. He is both starship captain and water guy. In the cartoon, his scuba doubled as his space gear. The Astrosub was the same way, in that it was both interstellar space fighter AND submarine.

    Fans who are new to NA might just see Hydron as a frogman without knowing his piloting history of the Starship Eternia or Astrosub.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  11. #11
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    According to the UK annual, Hydron originated from the undersea city Orca, hence why he's wearing the scubasuit. The German comics went even further, telling that he spent much of his time searching the waters for a villain called "The Red Shan" who once killed Hydron's entire clan.
    U got any photos of the red shan

  12. #12
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,202
    Hmmm...sounds like an interesting episode. What's it called? I may have to give it a gander.

  13. #13
    Skeletors Plastic Surgeon Pyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    878
    Well...because brother...it was the aweful 90's....what the heck made sense then??

    There are a lot of characters for the MOTU universe from that series but I, and even my kids, cant stand them...they sucked and killed the series more than the 200x figure distribution. It was a terrible series that only the 90's and a desperate effort could bring.

    Why a Scuba-diving space character? Because it made as much sense as Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. It was a phase in history we wish we could forget, but have to accept.

  14. #14
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly:3345901
    According to the UK annual, Hydron originated from the undersea city Orca, hence why he's wearing the scubasuit. The German comics went even further, telling that he spent much of his time searching the waters for a villain called "The Red Shan" who once killed Hydron's entire clan.
    This is more or less the kind of answer I've been hoping to get
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    885
    Plus, little known fact: fins help out lots when 'swimming' throught the aether of space!
    ... well, okay, maybe not but they still LOOK cool!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •