Thread: what's the best way to store fright zone puppet

Widget

what's the best way to store fright zone puppet

question. I recently obtained a new fright zone puppet. my original one became dry rotted and fell apart. i'm really hoping to keep my new one for a long time. just wondering what is the best (and cheap) way to preserve it. is there something to wrap it in or put it in that I may have around the house? thank for your help.

I'll go out on a limb here, but I would recommend some kind of silicone based automotive spray (the kind used to clean a dashboard for example) to keep the rubber 'fed' and to prevent drying/cracking/crumbling, then I would maybe wrap it in greaseproof paper and then into a plastic bag. Just a suggestion, hopefully some other members here will have some other ideas. I had a rubber spikey bag that started to dry out, and I used this spray (called 'Dash Dandy' in the UK) which not only kept the rubber flexible and supple, but restored the black gloss color to it (it had started turning a grey color). Hope this helps!
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out my band, CRUSADER http://crusaderwarmachine.bandcamp.c...rd-into-battle

Heroic Warrior
    here we go again , my best idea is display it with the playset ... let dust and light attack it, let it age ,dry and fall apart , just like we are, after all will you care when you are old and dried out, if your snake puppet gets old and dried out with you ? enjoy it now when we are all old in nursing homes no one will be buying vintage motu stuff anyways , not trying to offend anyone but just enjoy and display these great works of art , say no to airtight uv proof rubbermaid containers , it didnt work for micheal jackson , even his nose fell off ,!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjor 9 View Post
    here we go again , my best idea is display it with the playset ... let dust and light attack it, let it age ,dry and fall apart , just like we are, after all will you care when you are old and dried out, if your snake puppet gets old and dried out with you ? enjoy it now when we are all old in nursing homes no one will be buying vintage motu stuff anyways , not trying to offend anyone but just enjoy and display these great works of art , say no to airtight uv proof rubbermaid containers , it didnt work for micheal jackson , even his nose fell off ,!!!
    I'm inclined to agree with you, but he was asking on how best to 'preserve' it, so I went with the flow. Mine is old and dried out, and stuffed full of plastic bags to keep the shape while it's displayed

I just realized that taken out of context, that second part of the previous sentence could be dubious sounding haha!
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out my band, CRUSADER http://crusaderwarmachine.bandcamp.c...rd-into-battle

honestly it will be fine if stored in a temperature controlled environment. Don't put it in a plastic bag whatever you do. Too much hot or too much cold and it will break down. I had mine for almost 20 years stored in a box and it was all good. Then I started moving around and put it in a zip lock baggie and stored it in a uncontrolled environment and it melted/dry rotted... yes, both
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Controlled Temperature goes a long way. If you want to store it, look into a Cedar storage chest instead of a plastic bin - allows it breathe.

If you want to take it to the next level, wrap it in cheese cloth (insanely anal but done for some old rubber props people want to prolong the life of - some say to use a little baby oil).

This is the best of the best when it comes to a protection if out on display or exposed to sunlight.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Whatever you do, put something inside it to hold it's expanded shape. Storing or displaying it with stuffing will keep it from folding, and the folds start to make the paint peel off, and once it starts it just keeps on going. The paint peeling is the worst for that little guy.

When mine was on display, I just stuffed some grocery bags in there. Kept them when it went into the closet.

Heroic Warrior
    zip lock bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    zip lock bag?
    Yeah, don't do that! They will melt together if they happen to get hot enough, which may happen when you move and have it outside
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

I have one that I stored with a pair of cotton tube socks. I rolled up one sock and put it inside the puppet so that it held its shape, so the plastic wouldn't stick to itself. Then I put the whole thing in the other tube sock. So far, so good!