Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whoa, just watched all of the MYP. Oh my.

Whoa, just watched all of the MYP. Oh my.

So up until a about a week ago I had no idea that anything had been done with MoTu since the NA series. Yesterday, I figured out what MYP meant, and found and watched the whole series.
    HOLY BAT-CRAP !!!!!!

With a few minor exceptions, it closely followed the Master-verse that I played as a child. The action was well done, a little over the top sometimes, but good over-all. I especially loved the way they handled Count Marzo's fighting style in the episode "History".

Most of the translations to modern-era looks were very good. I didn't care for the Tri-Clops or Whiplash updates, or the Snake-Armor He-man. But Skeletor & Hordak I believe were done better than I had expected. I can now say that if done right, a 200X head pack for the MoTuC figures would be a fantastic option.

Definitely the best version of MOTU in animation, I would love to see Dreamworks continue the story in a few 90 minute movies.

It's a shame it ended too soon. Just when the good stuff is about to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmiro View Post
    So up until a about a week ago I had no idea that anything had been done with MoTu since the NA series. Yesterday, I figured out what MYP meant, and found and watched the whole series.
    HOLY BAT-CRAP !!!!!!
    You mean you've just watched the whole 39-half-hour-episode series in one day? Holy guacamole, that must have been a telethon!
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Glad to see you enjoyed the Mike Young Productions version of He-Man.

coughcheckoutmyblogcough

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    You mean you've just watched the whole 39-half-hour-episode series in one day? Holy guacamole, that must have been a telethon!

well, with the commercials removed, it's really only 22min each, and I watched them over a 19 hour time span. Best thing besides sleep or NyQuil when your sick.

Widget
    Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to say, Mezmiro, you rule! 19 hour MOTU marathon is awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. If you liked the cartoon, check out the comics from that era. Great stories, even better artwork. I always thought Mike Young Productions did a great job on that cartoon. I liked what they did with some of the Masters, like Sy Clone and Moss Man. I thought those were two of the best characters, loved the back stories. John Payne really did good work with their voices as well. Too bad they were only in a few cartoons.

Also, Jukka, just checked out your website, keep up the great work!

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    That is quite the marathon but an excellent one to explore! I too liked how they portrayed Hordak. He is my favorite character and even with little screen time they did a great job of illustrating how powerful he is. They also kept his snort from Filmation, even if more subtle, which was an awesome bonus.

Which episodes stood out the most for you?

Overall my favorites were always the Price of Deceit and The Ties That Bind.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I am still hoping to get a direct do DVD/BR or YouTube series or what ever. I liked the cartoon very much. Even the anime style what a lot of people criticize. I think the characters look much better and each one look more unique than in the 80's cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by xcapoeirax View Post
    I am still hoping to get a direct do DVD/BR or YouTube series or what ever.
    Direct to DVD would be awesome from a fans perspective. Unfortunately the DVD sales for He-Man havent been strong enough to support such an endeavour.

For me, my favorite episode was the sweet smell of victory, Stinkor has been on my top 5 list since 85. But I also loved the episodes monster within & separation. Great way to explain Two-Bad, watched them with my daughter B2B. Awesome stuff there.

For me, my favorite episode was the sweet smell of victory, Stinkor has been on my top 5 list since 85. But I also loved the episodes monster within & separation. Great way to explain Two-Bad, watched them with my daughter B2B. Awesome stuff there.
    I loved the MYP He man cartoon cant says enuff about it. just some of the insane jumping, kinda bothered me. wish they would tone it down a little in our future cartoon series.

Loved the MYP toon and look forward to some of the possible 200X heads we may be getting.

Yes MYP cartoon is great, except for those chapters that are exclusively a toy commercial. I really hate that. In fact IMO that was one of the main reasons for the series failure.

That was me 5 years ago!
    My daughter and son both loved the series and every now and then we drag the BIG box out of the garage for a battle royale in the living room complete with castle, battle fort vehicles and all!

HOLY BAT-CRAP !!!!!!

With a few minor exceptions, it closely followed the Master-verse that I played as a child. The action was well done, a little over the top sometimes, but good over-all. I especially loved the way they handled Count Marzo's fighting style in the episode "History".

Most of the translations to modern-era looks were very good. I didn't care for the Tri-Clops or Whiplash updates, or the Snake-Armor He-man. But Skeletor & Hordak I believe were done better than I had expected. I can now say that if done right, a 200X head pack for the MoTuC figures would be a fantastic option.

Glad to see someone else like me! I have recently become a fan of the MYP cartoon. I must admit, I like the Filmation character models a bit better, they were more anatomically realistic, but the stories in MYP were very well written and directed.

It's a shame the series ended so soon! I definitely MUST have a 200X King Hiss, for me he is the definitive version of the character! I long for the day when I can replace the 'Hamburglar' King Hiss with the true evil badass 200X King Hiss!

Such an incredible series, I am glad you found it, Mezmiro!

I own the entire cannon of DVDs, so my 5 year old and I will sometimes watch a few here and there, since he was about 3.

When given the choice he goes to the 200x series which is great because it is just so well done. I love how they explored the Snake Men and their background.

The 200x series is also on Netflix which is convenient. I swear the Filmation series used to be as well but it isn't now.

I wonder with Mattel now having their own studio if we could be seeing direct to DVD movies for He-man at some point? I would love a movie (or two) just to wrap up the 200X series. Though I doubt the chances are likely at this point. The idea has been suggested before. I can't help but wonder though if the movie actually comes about if maybe the chances Mattel might entertain the idea would increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I wonder with Mattel now having their own studio if we could be seeing direct to DVD movies for He-man at some point? I would love a movie (or two) just to wrap up the 200X series. Though I doubt the chances are likely at this point. The idea has been suggested before. I can't help but wonder though if the movie actually comes about if maybe the chances Mattel might entertain the idea would increase.

One can only hope!! My kids would love them!!! Just look at the Awesome DC straight-to-DVD animated movies out there... with all the planets Superman and the Green Lantern visit why shouldn't Eternia be one!! Imagine She-Ra or Teela being an amazon like Wonderwoman and Super Girl, or He-man and the Masters being Lanterns???

Pure awesomeness and possible realities!

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I wonder with Mattel now having their own studio if we could be seeing direct to DVD movies for He-man at some point? I would love a movie (or two) just to wrap up the 200X series. Though I doubt the chances are likely at this point.
    It's a long way first for a Direct-To-DVD Animation for He-Man, methinks. Before that they'd need a hit live-action movie. And even then, the most "reasonable" thing would be to make an animated flick that ties into the hit-movie. From marketing and company standpoint.

I have serious doubts Mattel would ever go back to make a continuition of 200x-series.

But that doesn't mean they won't use some general ideas the 200x-folk had, in their other stuff. If you look at MOTUC for example. It's not really "giving what would have happened in 200x" (or vintage storylines, as far as I look at it). But they acknowledge some plot-points that would have been played later. Which is cool. And might be as much as we'll ever get about it.

Personally I look at the biggest examples like Superman and Batman. And see that they are widely known in pop-culture. They have movies under their belts, animated series and decades of comics. So they are able to make...say digital comic-series where they just have fun and make simple stories that drive into the core of the characters, their chemistries and the world they exist in.

I. WOULD. LOVE. IT. If He-Man could have that freedom. That Mattel wanted to make differing stories about He-Man. Paying homage to all the different canons that came before. And have DC Comics make them. Let them find the right talent to script it and draw it. Those would be fun comics to make overall and something a casual fan could enjoy since it wouldn't be tied heavily down to any ongoing-continuity DC has. And at the same time please older fans at the same time, by keeping it true to the source-material. The vast source that is MOTU/POP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It's a long way first for a Direct-To-DVD Animation for He-Man, methinks. Before that they'd need a hit live-action movie. And even then, the most "reasonable" thing would be to make an animated flick that ties into the hit-movie. From marketing and company standpoint.

I have serious doubts Mattel would ever go back to make a continuition of 200x-series.

But that doesn't mean they won't use some general ideas the 200x-folk had, in their other stuff. If you look at MOTUC for example. It's not really "giving what would have happened in 200x" (or vintage storylines, as far as I look at it). But they acknowledge some plot-points that would have been played later. Which is cool. And might be as much as we'll ever get about it.

Personally I look at the biggest examples like Superman and Batman. And see that they are widely known in pop-culture. They have movies under their belts, animated series and decades of comics. So they are able to make...say digital comic-series where they just have fun and make simple stories that drive into the core of the characters, their chemistries and the world they exist in.

I. WOULD. LOVE. IT. If He-Man could have that freedom. That Mattel wanted to make differing stories about He-Man. Paying homage to all the different canons that came before. And have DC Comics make them. Let them find the right talent to script it and draw it. Those would be fun comics to make overall and something a casual fan could enjoy since it wouldn't be tied heavily down to any ongoing-continuity DC has. And at the same time please older fans at the same time, by keeping it true to the source-material. The vast source that is MOTU/POP.
    He-man CAN have that freedom, Mattel can do what they wish. the biggest problem is mattel is way to careful and they don't want to make any effort. I would do a Gotham Knights style DTV - three or four stories, different canons, different animation styles and see the reactions from the fans. whichever one garnered the most praise is the one with which we follow through. it's NOT risk free, it takes commitment, but it's a way to start. that's the thing, you just need to start. a property can blossom from any root laid down and branch out into any medium. animated DTV takes less money than a feature film, needs less green lights than a series and you can always strike a deal to air it as a movie on a station prior to or after the initial release.
    Last edited by krosfyah; October 28, 2013 at 11:13am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I loved the MYP Cartoon. What a great story line!!!!! At first I hated the hyper-animae style but It has such a stron story line I grew to love it. My daughter did too! WHen the Snakemen came in WOW That cartoon got good. Really wish it would have lasted longer. I still miss it!!

I enjoyed the look of the show, though the posing kinda got annoying after a while, clearly somebody was inspired by Anime, but didn't quite understand their usage (Kabuki)... also, lots of fan-service in there

Yeah, I didn't think it was realistic. However maybe if a new movie proves to be a hit we could show our support for even a one off DVD that ties up 200X.

At least one can dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

LoL. Yeah I was like that too when I watched for the first time. Was so annoyed by the time I got to the last couple of episodes and desperately wanted to watch more! Obviously, Roboto's Gambit (Teela really annoyed me in this one LoL) is one of my fave episodes along with Council of Evil Part 1&2, The Power of Grayskull & Second Skin that also stand out for me.

To be honest, I could watch any episode any time
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor