Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62

Thread: Whoa, just watched all of the MYP. Oh my.

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior supersonicshion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    308
    Same here, I loved the show and I really hope they tie it up someday.
    Long live the King

  2. #27
    Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Trap Jaw's Man Cave
    Posts
    1,348
    Glad you liked it! My kids and I loved it as well. Like others, I would love for them to finish it as well. Hordak's voice in the 200x series NEVER gets old. Purely awesome.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

    Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

    Support The Power & Honor Foundation

    Power-Con/ThunderCon

  3. #28
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,932
    My favorite eps were The Snake Pit and Web of Evil. And Lessons. The face-off between Orko and Skeletor on the jawbridge was pretty epic. It was the best use of the Orko character ever.

    My least favorite was the usage of the stupid Spit Bull vehicle. It also bothered me that they rarely mentioned the vehicles by name.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior Mezmiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hickman, KY
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    My favorite eps were The Snake Pit and Web of Evil. And Lessons. The face-off between Orko and Skeletor on the jawbridge was pretty epic. It was the best use of the Orko character ever.

    My least favorite was the usage of the stupid Spit Bull vehicle. It also bothered me that they rarely mentioned the vehicles by name.
    I didn't mind the lack of vehicle names, I do however seriously dislike the Spit Bull. Web of Evil was an excellent episode, BuzzOff's confusion about the eggs. "I don't wanna know." priceless. I am biased as Webstor is another of my favorites from childhood. I vividly remember taking him to school and hooking him to the monkey bars. *Sigh* to be young again. LOL
    "My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"
    Marquis de Sade
    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."
    George Washington
    My B/S/T list
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-trade-list

  5. #30
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Its slightly off topic to put it mildly, but I wanted to ask without starting another thread,an amateurish question really, but which dvd version/release of the 2002 MOTU is the one that completes the spine mural?

  6. #31
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakk View Post
    Its slightly off topic to put it mildly, but I wanted to ask without starting another thread,an amateurish question really, but which dvd version/release of the 2002 MOTU is the one that completes the spine mural?
    When you bought Vol1 of the MYP DVDs at a certain store, the exclusive was that you got the case with it that completed the mural.

  7. #32
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    When you bought Vol1 of the MYP DVDs at a certain store, the exclusive was that you got the case with it that completed the mural.
    Best buy exclusive Im assuming

  8. #33
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakk View Post
    Best buy exclusive Im assuming
    Exactly.

  9. #34
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Thanks. I see Im gonna have some ebay hunting to do

  10. #35
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    And Lessons. The face-off between Orko and Skeletor on the jawbridge was pretty epic. It was the best use of the Orko character ever.
    Yes! I hated Orko's voice in MYP, but this moment (Written by the great LArry Ditillio) was a step in the right direction for Orko. I always said to legitimize the character changing him into something he isn't is weak. You accentuate the positive of the character not totally transform him.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  11. #36
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Yes! I hated Orko's voice in MYP, but this moment (Written by the great LArry Ditillio) was a step in the right direction for Orko.
    Funnily enough that step was closer to how Orko would have acted in Filmation. And what's more suprising, SORCERESS too!

    "Lessons" in my opinion is pivotal episode on many sides. Besides it having Ram Stone that showcased He-Man getting transformed back into Adam, more mythology to the world by introducing The Faceless One (and as bonus expanding Evil-Lyn's story to boot), but little things like He-Man and Skeletor battling for-the-first-time on the drawbridge of Castle Grayskull.

  12. #37
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Funnily enough that step was closer to how Orko would have acted in Filmation. And what's more suprising, SORCERESS too!

    "Lessons" in my opinion is pivotal episode on many sides. Besides it having Ram Stone that showcased He-Man getting transformed back into Adam, more mythology to the world by introducing The Faceless One (and as bonus expanding Evil-Lyn's story to boot), but little things like He-Man and Skeletor battling for-the-first-time on the drawbridge of Castle Grayskull.
    Yep, I agree 10000% I did like MYP very much but I wish they had hired Larry D as the head writer rather than give him a few freelance gigs. That man wrote some of the best filmation eps and he knows Eternia so well.

    Plus he wanted to get Granamyr back in the fold (a huge mistake not going that route IMO)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior Mezmiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hickman, KY
    Posts
    286
    Agreed. Putting Granamyr into the mix would have been an epic win. But I can see why they chose not to do it. MYP took out all of the talking animals unless they were hybridized humanoid types. While I enjoyed the new rational of Cringer not talking, I think Dragons could be taken on as the fantasy creatures that they are. As a side note, I just re-re-watched the Web of Evil episode and something struck me. How badass is Webstor? I mean yeah, he had eaten ambrosia, but he basically just walked in and took over the Mystic Mountains and the surrounding areas. That's pretty impressive considering he's a B list character. It makes me wonder what would have happened if he had choose to just march into Eternos Palace. Hate the ending though. I love the Snakemen and I get how powerful King Hiss was depicted. But you can't kill of Webstor, not on my watch.
    "My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"
    Marquis de Sade
    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."
    George Washington
    My B/S/T list
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-trade-list

  14. #39
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Exactly.
    \

    Is there ANY place where I can get the slipcase? Theres nothing at all on ebay or amazon. Its quite a hassle to find the sets from NA vol 2 on (with MYP slipcase version) to the point I think Ill be better off getting the 30th Anniversary edition rather than trying to complete the mural
    Last edited by Brakk; December 16, 2013 at 03:42pm.

  15. #40
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmiro View Post
    Agreed. Putting Granamyr into the mix would have been an epic win. But I can see why they chose not to do it. MYP took out all of the talking animals unless they were hybridized humanoid types. While I enjoyed the new rational of Cringer not talking, I think Dragons could be taken on as the fantasy creatures that they are. As a side note, I just re-re-watched the Web of Evil episode and something struck me. How badass is Webstor? I mean yeah, he had eaten ambrosia, but he basically just walked in and took over the Mystic Mountains and the surrounding areas. That's pretty impressive considering he's a B list character. It makes me wonder what would have happened if he had choose to just march into Eternos Palace. Hate the ending though. I love the Snakemen and I get how powerful King Hiss was depicted. But you can't kill of Webstor, not on my watch.
    for the most part they made the villains a credible threat, I LOVED that. Clawful being the only sore spot to me, I hate when they make characters THAT dumb. Simple is fine, but he should be an expert at something.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior goluphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    for the most part they made the villains a credible threat, I LOVED that. Clawful being the only sore spot to me, I hate when they make characters THAT dumb. Simple is fine, but he should be an expert at something.
    He's an expert at pinching!
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

  17. #42
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    I never liked Clawful. I think its a throwaway character, who is neither interesting design-wise, isn't as unique or barbarian or fantasy like, a very bland design, nor is he well characterized or fleshed out. Characters such as for example TrapJaw (in the original), while banally simple, were very colorful (personality wise) and well defined as characters and personalities, and had those surreal and unique design
    Last edited by Brakk; December 17, 2013 at 02:11pm.

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Mezmiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hickman, KY
    Posts
    286
    I'm with Krosfyah on this. Simple is one thing, but to have him need Evil-Lyn to translate his own language for him is quite insulting. While I love Skeletor's "A" list henchmen. The group of his "B" listers will always be the ones I love the most. Webstor, Clawful, Jitsu, Stinkor & TwoBad were, for me at least, the most interesting of his cohorts. Long live the unsung heroes of Snake Mountain!
    "My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"
    Marquis de Sade
    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."
    George Washington
    My B/S/T list
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-trade-list

  19. #44
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmiro View Post
    While I love Skeletor's "A" list henchmen. The group of his "B" listers will always be the ones I love the most.
    They are pretty cool, especially in MYP's hands.

  20. #45
    Widget Brakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33
    Yeah, while I didnt like Clawful in the original, as I explained, I found him funny and well defined in MYP

  21. #46
    Court Magician iamtfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    36
    The show had it's flaws, but I thought the story got better and better as it went on. It's painful to think of all the loose ends and the promises that will never come about now that it's finished.

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior Kreann'ot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,769
    I, too, discovered the MYP version last summer and marathoned it. Loved it! I felt like it was a pretty faithful adaptation and I didn't have much trouble combining canons. I'd love to see someone come up with a list of intertwined MYP and Filmation episodes, to try to combine them into one viewing experience.
    I realize the difference in animation style and writing might be jarring for some people, but I'd totally watch it that way. The only things I didn't like in MYP was the Sorceress' costume (it was too drastic a change from my childhood Sorceress. No offense to those who love her!) and Clawful's lack of intelligence. I never liked him as a kid, but changing him into an imbecile was too weird for me. His physical appearance was an improvement, though! I appreciate that Classics attempted to explain him being both unintelligent and then brilliant by writing in Evil-Lyn's spell.
    I'm unendingly sad that we didn't get to see the MYP Horde return to Eternia!!!! Which also would have meant MYP She-Ra! Talk about missed opportunities! MYP Granamyr, MYP Skytree ugh!!! Really sad we'll probably never see these!
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

  23. #48
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    I'd love to see someone come up with a list of intertwined MYP and Filmation episodes, to try to combine them into one viewing experience.
    It may work on some select episodes.
    But not if you want to combine 130 Filmation eps to 39 of MYP.
    Seeing as how there are lot of canon differences, with character origins, their behaviours, character interactions, etc.

    But if you take just couple from Filmation and couple from MYP, it might be a fun experience.

  24. #49
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    I did this one time with all the Larry D scripted Eps. stylistic changes aside they are in synch in terms of narrative and characterizations.

    Only a couple other writers worked on multiple series, but I can't recall who off the top of my head?

    I also read I have the Power Golden Book along side the UK mini comic and The Beginning and it was interesting to see how the embellishments from different media didn't change the core legends at all. That being; Adam's birthday marking the birth of his manhood is the same day Skeletor attacked the royal palace for the first time, so Man-At-Arms took with Adam to Castle Grayskull and the Sorceress gave him the coolest birthday gift ever...

    Same as his style guide bio/wonder bread card. That is the mark of a TRUE legend as opposed to all the myths that people make up
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  25. #50
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23
    I think the Myp sies has held up its own over the years. The animation and storyline a are really good considering its age.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •