Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulky Armor Discussion (examples, options, preferences)

Heroic Warrior

Bulky Armor Discussion (examples, options, preferences)

Thank you to the Fwoosh for the fantastic pics! Thanks to Val for the back and forth on this topic with me. The wide nature of the armor appears to be due to the placement of the snaps. Ruben placed them under the arms (yes, a genius of Design! forgive my sarcasm, not a fan of his choices). Terry Higuchi took Dekker's clothing, and the snaps are on the back, where his lats are. The snaps need to be on the back of the toy, not under the arms.

I would like this done for Flogg and Extendar. Ruben and Mario can do this!

Feedback?

Unfortunately, Terry didn't do Dekker....Ruben was in place by then. I think Terry's last figures were Star Sisters, Fisto and Sorceress, maybe TP He-Man. Ruben's first figure I think was Swapped Forearms Stinkor....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    meh...whatev

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. This bothers me and it's an issue that should be addressed. The connectors should be on the back, not at the sides. The thinnest part of the armor should be right under the armpits - that's precisely the spot where posability is most affected.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    meh...whatev
    That is sad.

i think you may be right. i looks like the fasteners should be on the back, because they seem to add too much thickness under the arms.

Jun-Yor, is it possible to post some pics of the armor taken off so we can take a look at the break-down of them independently? I think part of it might also be because of where the seams and corners fall. With the way Dekker's is cut (around the arms) and with the "seams" down the sides, I think it might compress better to the side versus how Sea Hawk's is cut. I'm purely guessing at this point, though. It may very well be all about placement of the tab itself like you said.

Yeah, I've posted about this too a while ago. It's all in where the tabs are. Dekker's gear has a naturally "slimming" effect though, so it might be a bit of an illusion.

Look here. This is much to big! To much air between the figure and the armor. They should all be like Dekker.

And the armor is not open:

Pics: cooltoyreview.com

All the Male figures suffer from massive lats. The original torsos worked great for figures such as He-man, or Zodac for example. Figures that had armor, but armor that didn't go over the lats. It's too bad they didn't make a different torso with smaller lats that would have allowed armor to go over and keep the arms down by their sides. Much too late to do anything about it now sadly, but somewhere someone should have realized the original torsos wouldn't work with armor or shirts over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    All the Male figures suffer from massive lats. The original torsos worked great for figures such as He-man, or Zodac for example. Figures that had armor, but armor that didn't go over the lats. It's too bad they didn't make a different torso with smaller lats that would have allowed armor to go over and keep the arms down by their sides. Much too late to do anything about it now sadly, but somewhere someone should have realized the original torsos wouldn't work with armor or shirts over them.
    Agreed, but certain design choices on the armor makes the problem much worse on certain figures.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Is there any way to fix it/tighten it on our own? Without cutting or going too crazy...
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

For armor, I think it's a valid aesthetic choice. Snake Face looks AWESOME with his big armor. But for clothing, it should be closer to the body. I know I've said this a few times, but Demo Man solved this problem with his big armpit holes. They could have done that with Sea Hawk (and Preternia Disguise He-Man for that matter) and they woulda looked ten times better.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    For armor, I think it's a valid aesthetic choice. Snake Face looks AWESOME with his big armor. But for clothing, it should be closer to the body. I know I've said this a few times, but Demo Man solved this problem with his big armpit holes. They could have done that with Sea Hawk (and Preternia Disguise He-Man for that matter) and they woulda looked ten times better.
    agreed, but though I do agree that the design seems off particularly for the clothing type "armour" and I'd like it changed, I'm still going to buy the figures and they do look fine, though It did take my notice.

This is very interesting, and it makes me think about clamp champ 's armor.

I've had a feeling that design decided to try to make his armor tighter, but instead of removing the excess plastic around the lats by moving the pegs, as pointed out here, they may have just tried to shrink the armor. If so, that made the armor really short, and now he wears a belly shirt.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I noticed the reasons behind this issue when Pixel-Dan made those reviews a while back, and it's clearly a screwed up design choice by Mattel's team, and it's not much to do with the size of the actual standard torso!
    I mean after all these years of trials and errors, Mattel should've gotten it together by now!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Honestly this needs to be looked into by design.
    Hydron looks inacceptable with that fat armour!
    I wasn't happy with Grayskullman or Snakeface either...
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; October 17, 2013 at 01:20am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    I see a lot of very negative comments regarding how figures turn out. Face sculpts paint, proportions and everything. Sometimes its a little overwhelming. I just don't see the issue. These are supposed to be chunky fun action figures. Where's the problem?

Heroic Warrior
    Wow. I didn't realise there was such a big and obvious difference between Dekker's vest and Sea Hawk's vest. Although, I think Dekker's skirt/loincloth helps to alleviate any potential size issues since it makes his girth between chest and lower waist more consistent. Sea Hawk's black Y-fronts seem to exaggerate the size of his stomach and chest.

I certainly hope that the connectors/tabs are moved to the "back" of the armour instead of being on the "side" if it means slimmer and more fitted overlays/vests/armour in the future.

Thanks for looking into this! I think I usually do not complain that much here but this particular design choice looks really bad to me. Hydron is one of the characters I have been waiting for. Correct that Hydron armor PLEASE!

Once corrected I would totally buy an armor pack with corrected armors (Spikor, Mosquitor, Snake-Face, Sea Hawk, Hydron)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Cherry View Post
    I see a lot of very negative comments regarding how figures turn out. Face sculpts paint, proportions and everything. Sometimes its a little overwhelming. I just don't see the issue. These are supposed to be chunky fun action figures. Where's the problem?
    The problem is people are paying premium prices for what supposedly be nicely well executed figures! If you cannot see or care for the mistakes, you might wind up with more of them later on...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Cherry View Post
    The problem is that the 4 horsemen are not the design team. If you look at Jun-Yor and firesoulloves posts with the prototype and final versions of Hydron, there are 2 major differences.
    1. The armor is thin enough for the arms to rest at his sides on the prototype, and too thick for the arms to rest at all on the final toy. This is a major articulation issue.
    2. Aestheically, the larger armor ruins the sleek look of Hydron. Hydrons armor is thinner than his red belt on the prototype, and thicker than his belt on the final toy. The proto looked amazing, and now a NA figure that has little demand to begin with is not even that great looking, due to design flaws.

And finally, the real problem with this is that it continues and does not improve. The female leotard debacle will never be fixed, and now all characters with wrap around armor will be 15% fatter than they should be. Extendar will be the next casualty.

I was thinking the same thing about the armor for a while now. It's getting worse, Sea Hawk's armor/shirt looks pretty bad. I don't get why design would choice to place the clips on the widest part of the torso.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    The problem is people are paying premium prices for what supposedly be nicely well executed figures! If you cannot see or care for the mistakes, you might wind up with more of them later on...
    What ****** me off with things like Snout, the armor and the white vs Gray, and Blastic....they did almost all of this stuff right 30 years ago, when they had better designers....much, much better designers apparently who knew what materials to use to last 30 + years.... Now you have what seems like a novice in there jacking up things that were OK to begin with like previous armor was before him. I think Ruben is terrible at his job, maybe that's why he's so defensive.... I mean after 4 years of the line to decide to start painting figures almost completely, basically changing the aesthetics of the line....I mean you can tell they're painted, and anyone who has paint chipping or damage from packaging because the damn paint wasn't dry before packaging and assembly, or figures that weren't completely covered in paint properly like my Rattlor in various spots in the seems of parts, knows the pain. Not to mention the "purposely" swapping of Stinkor's forearms, ruining the anatomy of him, as well as the 4H design.... All to what, put his mark on these figures? Sorry, rather have someone else's mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I don't get why design would choice to place the clips on the widest part of the torso.
    ....Ruben....cough....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    I hadn't even really noticed the comparison of Dekker's armor to other figures like PD He-Man, mainly because I've mostly ignored Dekker for the 10 months I've had him... But wow, what a difference the armor clip position makes! Even Jitsu's is pretty good, and quite honestly the way his armor fastens is quite clever. Hydron just looks like he's taking on water, and that's sad. This has been done right previously and should continue to be done right. Anything else just shows a lack of effort and/or a lack of concern for putting the best product out there that Mattel possibly can.
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Squishy Duck Man will return in "Thunderball"