Thread: Got shilled on eBay! Advice please!

Widget

Got shilled on eBay! Advice please!

Can I post a link to an ended eBay auction? Let me know and I'll post it.

So, I bid on a lot that ended tonight for 25 MOC figures and won. The amount shot up by $400 right at the end so I checked the bid history. The last bidder, who took the price way up, had 0 feedback. So I checked his bid history and 95% of his bids, all but one bid, went to the same seller, gi_joe_concepts. And, all the other items are GI Joe. Which, I'm sure a lot of people collect both, but still someone with 0 feedback? Pretty obvious right there what was going on. But, to make it more obvious, the seller previously listed the lot with a reserve of $2,200. When that didn't work, he relisted with no reserve.

So yeah, he obviously manipulated the price to get what he wanted out of it. I called eBay and unfortunately the best advice they could give was just to back out of the auction. That ****** me off because I'm the only one who really loses. Even if this guy gets his account suspended, he will just open a new one and relist the items and get his money.

So I'm wondering, do you all think I should try and just contact the seller, tell him what I know, and see if he will actually take $400 less than the winning bid for the lot, as he should have done in the first place? I guess the worst thing that happens is he says yes, takes my money, damages the items and sends them to me causing me a lot of grief, or he says no and gives me negative feedback. Other option is tell him I made a mistake and tell him to give it to the second highest bidder.

What do you all think I should do?? Any other thoughts? I really do want the lot!

Thanks!

There is no way to win.
    Report the seller and let everyone know that he uses SHILL BIDDERS.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Heroic Warrior
    Ive learned from shopping online, its not work getting upset over. Let it go, move on and buy something else.

As far as shill bidding. It happens way more than it should...and it's unfortunate, but ebay won't do anything about it. So, you can do 1 of 2 things: (1) back out of the transaction which could lead to a Non-paying bidder warning, or (2) you can stick with your bid since that was apparently an amount that you were willing to pay when you made the bid.

As far as feedback. Sellers can't give Buyers negative feedback on ebay. That is something they have implemented in the last few years. I can't say I agree with it, but it is what it is.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Widget
    Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll forget it then.

yeah, just let it go, the guys an ass. walk away.

Yup, you can post a like to an auction as long as it has ended.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    You have my sympathies.

I'm selling some non-MOTU collections on eBay, and just had an auction that ended yesterday. Winner has zero feedback, and has yet to respond. This happened to me once before, and I did a second chance offer to another bidder in that instance. Very frustrating. Not sure why someone would bid on something and completely disappear.

In this same auction, two international bidders with zero feedback skyrocketed the price a few days ago, but I canceled the bids because it seemed very suspicious and I specified no international bidders.

With all that said, eBay can be a pain sometimes.

Heroic Warrior
    It reached what you were willing to pay in the first place. Did you win or did you lose? If you eon then be happy. If you lost then walk away. .

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    "Lousy Jasper!!.."

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    It reached what you were willing to pay in the first place. Did you win or did you lose? If you eon then be happy. If you lost then walk away. .
    Why would I pay? The guy selling it inflated the price by $400 against the rules of the auction! That's against eBay policies, unethical, and in some states illegal!

- - - Updated - - -

The guy has relisted the lot with a buy it now price. What sucks is if he had done that in the first place I *might* have bought it. Now that I know what he does of course I can't. I guess I can't link to it but the guys eBay ID is gi_joe_concepts. eBay is aware and will likely suspend his account, but probably not until he sales the figures and makes his money. What a jerk.

that sucks... it does happen WAY too much. I get what unclassified is saying though too. I have just quit looking. If it sells for what I am willing to pay, I don't even look into all that stuff. It will just make ya mad :
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Widget
    So here's what's happened.

The guy relisted. In the meantime I was communicating with him to offer to the second bidder. He lowered the price $200 to get me to buy and I wanted to pay what I would have paid without the shill. He got mad and defensive saying it was my fault, yet the second bidder never responded to him, of course.

I found his relist and my friend offered him what I wanted to pay, without letting the seller know he knew me, which was lower than his buy it now price. The guy accepted. So right after he accepted and took down the auction, the seller sent me another message saying the second bidder DID buy the auction and WAS real, and how I was the bad guy and that he was going to report me to eBay. He said he also was telling other sellers on eBay about me so I won't be able to buy again.

I'm going to wait until my friend gets the lot, then let the seller know what I know. Hopefully eBay will be contacting him soon as well to suspend his account.

I guess he still got paid but I feel like I got what I wanted and exposed a cheater so hopefully he won't screw over anyone else.

awesome, be sure to post a pic with you - or just your user name with the lot. Be sure to keep his real name and address on file too and share it if he is still using shills.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

very nice way to handle it. Got what you wanted, at a much better price and have an awesome chance of really sticking it to a douche.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Good on you. I unfortunately had way too many bad deals and don't sell or buy there anymore. The last one, a lot of 20,000 Legos, was sold, then disputed upon arrival, sifted though for what they wanted and returned to me. Ebay refused to help and banned me, PayPal was better, but still didn't allow a partial refund for what was taken out. I hope that you get to nail him to the wall. Nasty-bits first !

Yea sometimes I wish they losers would get a real job then to scalp I mean halk stuff on E-Bay for WAY more than it's worth..

I never give in to any low life on E-Bay who's trying to iflate his price (whatever reason) I'd rather wait it out and get a better deal from a REAL person instead of a scammer...