View Poll Results: Is the bulky armour an issue to you?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed RIGHT NOW!

117 71.78%
  • Not an issue, I like the bukky armour.

2 1.23%
  • Not an issue, whatever comes, i'm ok with it.

44 26.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the bulky armour an issue to you?

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar

Is the bulky armour an issue to you?

Based on this thread:

http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...ky-armor-issue

I'm opening a pool to know how the ORG feels about this "issue"

Let's save Intergalactic Skeletor from obesity !!!

I voted third choice. Much like the shoulder issue, I'd rather it not happen, but it's not like I'm not going to support the line over it.

I'd rather the torsos not have that underarm bulk, but at the end of the day, I dont care that much about it either. Figures are still awesome.

I'll say what I dont want. I dont want sculpted torsos on guys who are wearing armour. For instance if I had a choice of say Hydron how he is, with removable armour, or a sculpted torso of his look, I'd choose removable armour. Everyone else has this, I'd rather just stick with it, even with bulky underarms.

Do I think maybe they could figure a way to have removable armour without that? Probably. But again, not a huge deal. Hope they keep looking into it though.

Most of the figures are perfect, and even the ones that are less than perfect are pretty damn amazing. I cant complain, though I dont mind, and admire, continued improvement.

I'm shocked at the current results, so far this is not an issue to anyone? Seriously, look at this pictures of goat-man, hydron and picture all future figures, Flogg, NA Skeletor looking bulky like that.

I've had it all, minor paint defects, bad ankles, glue on figures, swapped parts, all things you can fix, but this is a DESIGN issue, there's no way around it! Old figures could rest their arms down, these new ones look like they are wadding across a river

It is an issue, but sadly too many are content to get whatever comes. I'll buy the figures because I want them, but the crap ass workmanship needs to improve in the design department. I'd hate to put my name to some of the stuff that happens to these figures.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; November 13, 2013 at 06:36pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Like the female crotch flap issue, this problem started as a non-issue for me, and has gotten progressively uglier and more obvious with every figure. I would rather have non-removable armor than continue as they are.

However, like the female crotch flap issue, I guess unless someone else is going to start making a comprehensive, compatible line of He-Man figures, I'm still going to buy them. Too late in the game for me to start pulling the plug.

Great photos to illustrate this design/engineering problem. This is a MAJOR issue for me as it is a twofold problem; aesthetics and articulation/posing.

I hope we can all focus our energies positively on this issue. I feel like the female skirt issue got so negative that even if they wanted to fix it they won't now.

The good news is that it can be fixed. They just need to decide to put forth the effort.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

In general, these types of issues have never bothered me, but this particular problem actually needles me quite a bit. Sky High looks like he should be carrying watermelons.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I'm skipping Sea Hawk because he looks fat.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    I didn't vote because there was no, "Yes, I think it's an issue that needs to be avoided going forward, but not at the top of the to-do list" option.

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal to me. I dislike the way it makes the figures look, sure - especially Seahawk there - but I'm not up in arms over it. (See what I did thar? Hurhur.) But yeah, I agree that it does need to be looked at more carefully, unlike the skirts on the female figures, which I like the way they are.

Seems like it shouldn't really be a problem that we have. How hard is it to engineer them so that the figures can have their arms down by their sides? It's the most basic pose ever. Seems like the team is so busy looking for reversed shoulders, weak ankles etcetera, that other stuff is beginning to slip a little. I can understand that if it is the case, but increased awareness of the issue on their part can only help matters.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    I didn't vote because there was no, "Yes, I think it's an issue that needs to be avoided going forward, but not at the top of the to-do list" option.
    It seems like this is not an issue to you then you're ok whatever the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    Same with me. Yes, it needs to be looked at, but I'm not throwing tantrums about it as the first option seems to imply. If the 'RIGHT NOW!' had been left off the first option I'd have voted for that.

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    Same with me. Yes, it needs to be looked at, but I'm not throwing tantrums about it as the first option seems to imply. If the 'RIGHT NOW!' had been left off the first option I'd have voted for that.
    We know the line will most likely end in the next two years, if not right now, when then? Are you OK with an obese NA Skeletor, Flogg, Extendar ? Remember that most of the characters to come will most likely use armour to make up for their unique design.

So yes, this issue has to be addressed RIGHT NOW for the sake of decency in upcoming releases.

A Major Issue! I hate these bulky armours!

The polls being put up lately never have an acceptable option for me to choose. While I do think it's an issue that needs to be addressed, it's not going to stop me from enjoying what we get and for me to stop buying these figures.
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Peekablue, Perfuma
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation: Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

The bulky armour has put me off a few otherwise good figures so it is quite an issue for me, more than tiny paint chips on Mantenna or other more minor issues that are not that noticeable. To me the bulky armour is very noticeable and looks bad. I would rather the armour wasn't removable. How many people actually remove it anyway? The figure looking good is more important than being able to take their tops off.
    Last edited by Rodster6; November 14, 2013 at 10:45am.

I selected the third option - I'd prefer it didn't exist but whatever. Not sure what the salvation is though. I am sure they are making it as thin as possible. The before picture of Hydron is a prototype, right? In prototypes they don't need to worry about these things, but in actual figures I'd rather have a bit of bulk then armors that tear easily.

The only possible solution would be a skinny buck so that it looks right when the armor is on. With some figures, it doesn't even make sense to take the armor off, so you'd never see the skinny torso underneath, but I guess this would add to the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I selected the third option - I'd prefer it didn't exist but whatever. Not sure what the salvation is though. I am sure they are making it as thin as possible. The before picture of Hydron is a prototype, right? In prototypes they don't need to worry about these things, but in actual figures I'd rather have a bit of bulk then armors that tear easily.

The only possible solution would be a skinny buck so that it looks right when the armor is on. With some figures, it doesn't even make sense to take the armor off, so you'd never see the skinny torso underneath, but I guess this would add to the cost
    Actually the issue seems to be on the tabs that are under the arms rather then on the back like Dekker's armour. Look at this:

Not sure why this stuff can't be thought about before hand and fixed. It's not like they have to rush to get things done and this kinda stuff just falls through the cracks. Doesn't someone look at a proof sample at each point along the line and say "hey wait a minute can't we move the tabs to the back to help cut down on this lat bulge?" These things and other stuff like Mantenna's paint are just lazy quality control and whoever is the inspector that signs off on it needs to step up their game. This is after all a adult collector line at a pretty high price point.
    "Problems Weaver?"

With Hydron, it appears as though in the 4 Horsemen sculpted prototype that the actual suit was sculpted as his torso. Likely to save money, design is using the male buck and putting the suit over it as armor. On the other hand, for NA Skeletor, the torso is going to be newly sculpted instead of being put over the male buck as though it was armor. That makes a difference in the bulkiness and how it looks.

However, as it has been shown, they've been able to reduce the bulkiness in the final product when it actually is armor vs a sculpted torso, so there's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to do that now.
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Peekablue, Perfuma
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation: Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

It's a big issue for me. The latest crop of figures are just too overstuffed looking under the arms. Some figures are starting to resemble that kid from A Christmas Story:

Randy-Snow-Suit-A-Christmas-Story-2.jpg

Mattel needs to be smarter about design. They used to do better. I don't know how everyone feels about Prince Adam, but I'd prefer armor like that where the figure can rest his arms down at his side, even if ab crunch is affected.

MOTUCOrk2AdamFront.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I find it a lot more annoying than the reversed shoulders, stiff skirts or any of the articulation hindering mishaps. The bulky armor completely ruins the visual esthetic of these figures.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    With Hydron, it appears as though in the 4 Horsemen sculpted prototype that the actual suit was sculpted as his torso. Likely to save money, design is using the male buck and putting the suit over it as armor. On the other hand, for NA Skeletor, the torso is going to be newly sculpted instead of being put over the male buck as though it was armor.
    where did you hear\read this from, i thought TG himself wasn't sure about it. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope this turns out to be true though

Projected chest armor look once Mattel design gets through with NA Skeletor:

MOTUC-New-Adventures-Skeletor.jpg

By the ancients!!!

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    Nobody is throwing tantrums here. Don't confuse our call to awareness and action with the leotard/skirt movement which in my opinion has spiraled into a negative war between fans and design.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    The polls being put up lately never have an acceptable option for me to choose. While I do think it's an issue that needs to be addressed, it's not going to stop me from enjoying what we get and for me to stop buying these figures.
    Nobody is saying anyone should stop buying these figures. We're saying, we need to address this now before any more figures are created with this problem.

There is a design solution that does not require the skinny buck. See armor/tunics from 2008-2012 where the attachments were placed on the back of the figure instead of under the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Projected chest armor look once Mattel design gets through with NA Skeletor:

MOTUC-New-Adventures-Skeletor.jpg

This hits too close to home, bro. We could end up with a figure that looks very much like this.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    This hits too close to home, bro. We could end up with a figure that looks very much like this.
    Sad but true. I hope not though.
    By the ancients!!!