Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Mountain in classics. How should it be handled?

Snake Mountain in classics. How should it be handled?

The Thread in the poll section is a good one, but I felt this discussion needed its own thread, especially after Dan's Grayskull review. Since many folks don't get to the poll section, and this is JUST a discussion for different ways to make Snake Mountain happen. Please post your own ideas about what style to make it, accessories, features, and try to keep in mind simple cost and physical/engineering aspects to make it more feasable to actually exist/make. Since the poll HERE shows overwhelming support for Filmation style for Snake Mountain (I agree) here are my thoughts.

Regarding Snake Mountain,
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'm going to bet it happens, and that it won't be unlike the Icon Heroes Snake Mountain. After all, Mattel had to approve that design.
    Filmation should be the main design blueprint. The Icon Heroes statue is an interesting compromise, but I would not want that as a playset. There are two main reasons for this. First, the colors are WAY too bright. It looks like candyland.

If the green of the snake was changed to a super dark almost obsidion green and the purple of the mountain was a hue almost as dark as the snake to match, it would be closer to the feel of filmation, dark and foreboding.

The second reason, is that the snake head on the Icon statue is way too small and unimposing. The Head is the equivalent to the Skull Facade on Grayskull, it is the focal point and should be what draws the attention of your eye. It should not draw ANY inspiration from the vintage snake head, as that thing was very poorly executed. It should look like this.

It should be at least large enough to place a figure in its jaws.

Besides those two issues with tthe icon design, the other issue is the size/cost issue. If you were to include the side that does not have the snake, it would double the cost. It is a great way to get the vintage face on the playset, but I would prefer they just made the snake coiled mountain portion, and then made a hole on the side facing away from the snake head that a waterfall or even the vintage snake mountain could just slide into. The hole would be a great way to be able to access the inside of the mountain when it is folded closed. Just make the snake coiled side, slide in your vintage Snake mountain, like this.

This will save on cost and shipping. If you leave a place to slide in things, later 3rd party or first party add-ons could be made, waterfall, smaller spiked mountain, etc.

Widget
    I really hope they do make it I'd rather have it over an alternate sub! Forme I'll take the Filmation version being that I don't play with mine so it's for display. It also could only be one piece and not two halves. It could have three level throne room, lab, & dungeon! I also wish they do a Filmation furniture pack for castle greyskull. But this is just my opinion!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    If the green of the snake was changed to a super dark almost obsidion green and the purple of the mountain was a hue almost as dark as the snake to match, it would be closer to the feel of filmation, dark and foreboding.
    http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9...kemountain.jpg
    You do realize that, in that Filmation shot, the reason that the snake is mostly a "dark almost obsidion green" is because of the lighting in the shot? The mountain is shrouded in darkness. The snake is not actually supposed to be that dark. For the actual color of the snake, look at the bright green towards the back of its tail. If the mountain from Filmation was fully lit up, the snake would all be that color.

Alternatively, if you took the Icon Heroes Snake Mountain, put it in a dark room, and just had a small light pointing up at it from the bottom, it would look the same way. They would never paint a playset as dark as you are suggesting, that would just be silly. It would look like it's constantly sitting in the shade.

As far as a Snake Mountain in MOTUC goes, I think they should pretty much do what they did with Grayskull - take the classic, vintage playset, and scale it up for the MOTUC line, while fleshing out things that were either only shown in prototype or sticker form, and generally bringing the sculpt up to modern standards. Also, somehow integrating the waterfall from the Icon Heroes SM would be sweet.

As far as paint scheme goes, I think the Icon Heroes Snake Mountain is pretty much perfect, although I wouldn't mind some black/red elements like the Snake Mountain figure stands.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Good idea but their going to merge both threads together

That thread was a poll & discussion thread....

I would love the Icon heroes version done in Classics style, honestly. Hollow out the back and add in Skeletor's Filmation throne room, a dungeon, and maybe a lab for Tri-Klops.

While I'd love SM, I just don't know if it will happen...or where I would put it!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

If, and this is a big if, this happens. This is how I'd like to see it done.

Two halves attached by double hinges and a 3" piece decorated to look like the lavafalls, think of it like a hard cover book. The left side, mountain side, would be designed to resemble a hybrid of both MYP and Filmation looks to it. Really, there isn't much difference except that MYP has the better snake head and Filmation shows more of the body. Give me both with a nice black, craggy rock that fades to a deep purple at the base. Add a scaled spine to the snake body that doubles as stairway. Half-way up, a cave opens up as an entrance.
    The lava falls would be on the right of the peak when the set is folded up. The right side, vintage face, would be an updated sculpt of the face and either eliminate the opening lower jaw, or make it useful somehow. Maybe turn it into a hidden entrance, or a trap of some sort. The Wolf gate from the vintage set would be retained and put on the right side of this half at the top. The rope bridge makes a return but spanning the lavafalls and running across the mountain half to the entry cave.

Mountain side
    Top Floor; This is where the throne room would go. Again a mash up of the two animated styles would be used. The throne itself would follow the MYP version, while the table of seeing would be placed on the side with an updated Filmation look. The dome on the table would be a disguised button that operates the trapdoor that sits on the far left side. By placing the trapdoor to the side, it allows for an actual cell to be constructed on the second floor.

Second floor; On the far left, we have the holding cell. A cage really, but with doors on both the right side, and the left. on the right side is the inside of the entry cave. The inbetween can be filled up with anything.

First floor; Here's where things get interesting for me. I'm pretty sick and tired of the first floor of every multi-level playset ever produced getting the shaft unless it's a Barbi product. We'll make a basement where the Void cell holding the Snakemen is kept. Realistically speaking, this event was the most action we've ever seen happen in Snake Mountain. Two 1/4 circle floor pieces would allow the connection of both halves of the environment with a circular piece for the void cell itself.

Lavafalls ; Yup, use the inside as a way to connect the interior halves making each floor a continuous level. Place a hinged platform at the top and middle floors. They could be supported by elongated versions of the hooks used to hold CG closed.

Vintage Side
    Top floor ; Aside from the wolf gate, there wouldn't be much happening here. Just a level to display factions battling it out. Maybe a crater designed to hold the wind raider stand, so we can have the Sky Sled either swooping in for an attack run, or one of Skeletor's minions taking off to make one of their own.

Second floor ; This is where Tri-Klops' lab would be, re-use the computer & view screen from CG with a new sticker for the display. Include a table with some tools sculpted to it. This is the reason for the back door to the cage.

First floor ; Again, the basement for the Void cell. This side would have a secret entrance. The arch and stairway would be on this side.

By keeping it simple and with fewer additional accessories, the cost should be about the same as Grayskull. By using both halves as tributes to both the cartoons, and the vintage playset we satisfy as many fans as possible.
    "My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others!"
    Marquis de Sade
    "The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."
    George Washington
    My B/S/T list
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-trade-list

Great ideas Mezmiro. That's exactly what I was hoping for in this thread. Ideas to flesh out a realistic playset. Some of your ideas may be over a realistic budget, but you should design for the best and then go from there. The only thing I would disagree with is that I believe the filmation snake head is better. The filmation snake head is my favorite part of ANY snake mountain.

The 200x one is cool, but a little too stylized for my tastes. But that is just opinion of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darkmoon766; December 3, 2013 at 01:07am.

There is not much I like more from the 200x cartoons but Snake Mountain 200x-style rocks!!!

I would overwhelmingly support something like the Icon Heroes design. It pulled together everything in such a perfect way. Heck, they could use only half their design and have it fold up: it'd be tops.

I am not holding my breath. Snake Mountain would be much more difficult to put together in a way that'd please fans, since so many things could happen.

For now I'm ok with just basking in the glow of Grayskull.

But if it ever were to happen, give me the kind of thing Icon Heroes did. The pic at the bottom of OP is pretty great. Start with that.

I would be happy with 200x or filmation...I hated the toy version....it wasn't snake mountain.

1497507_402000433236127_559323888_n.jpg

I think this is what we might get if we do get a Snake Mountain . well Its what the FourHorseMen will work from. I think we might get a playset that opens, so maybe just the single tower..??? who knows..its a very tough challenge I think.

MOTUC Snake Mountain playset concept plan

Here is a quick and dirty concept I came up with for a MOTUC Snake Mountain playset. I wanted to incorporate the look of the Filmation version, the vintage toy and the 200x version. Details below...

The left side is a drawing of the front of the playset. The right side is a drawing of the back and (of course) the inside.

It will have a base like Castle Grayskull (continuity and makes it more solid). The base will almost complete a circle.

-------------

There will be a main body and a topper (kind of like a christmas tree assembly). The front of the main section will cover about 200 degrees of the circle so the back side is open for play.

The topper will have a plug for the main snake head. There will be spots to plug in 2 other snake heads (like the 200x version) but they can be swapped out and 2 boulders can be put in place instead to give it the Filmation look (only 1 snake head).

The main snake head will have a peg hole in the mouth where you can connect a lava stream (made of orange translucent plastic kind of like SOH). The bottom of the lava stream will connect to the lava pool sculpted into the base.

There will be a ledge about halfway up with a cave entrance to the 2nd level. It will have 2 foot pegs on it that are exact matches to the ones on MOTUC CG's elevator (love those!).

There will be a sculpted face to pay homage to the vintage playset.

The facade of the mountain will have the rocks sculpted where there will be many points to "hook" Webstor's grappling hook for play value.

The facade can have other sculpted details that pay homage to the vintage playset (maybe include a wolf head that looks like the vintage "sceptor").

--------------------------

The back side of the topper will be mostly covered and include a gate like the vintage playset. The 3rd level it connects to will have a trap door (again, like the vintage playset) that drops into the 2nd floor.

The 2nd floor will be the dungeon (I'll explain why the bottom floor is the throne room in a minute). It will have shackles on the wall (2 of the version that plugs into the wall like the one that comes with MOTUC CG).

The 2nd floor will also have the cave entrance.

The bottom floor will have the throne room as it requires the most space. Here you can place Skeletor's throne (Filmation design) which is a loose piece so you can move it around as you like.

Skeletor's enchanted table is also in this room (Filmation design) and will come with 2 rock deco chairs. The chairs will have a divet/notch sculpted in where the back/butt of a standard figure's loincloth will hit it so it will help hold figures better (so the won't slide off). Designs like this help the play/displayability of the toy.

The bottom floor base will have post holes to allow Evil-Lyn's staff, the Havok staff, and other such items to plug in for storage. Or, Skeletor's throne could have a clip sculpted in (on the side) to hold the Havok staff.

The floors of the inside of the playset will be sculpted in a rocky design but will be smooth enough for figures to stand on them without falling over. Foot pegs could be added for display value.

A re-deco of the MOTUC CG ladder will be included.

---------------

The size of this playset will be taller than MOTUC Castle Grayskull but it will be much simpler and not have as many features and accessories. This should keep costs down.

I came up with this basic design in my head tonight in about 30 minutes from start to finish of the sketch. I kept thinking of things to add and do along the way. I looked at the pictures of the vintage Snake Mountain while designing this concept. I couldn't figure out where to make a bridge work (maybe if it connected to an extra outside piece and was designed to allow figures to cross an imaginary moat). This would add to the cost of the playset a lot though.

Let me know what you guys think! Maybe this will get the gears turning at Matty and maybe they could figure out a way to get this offered! Honestly though, if this does become a possibility, I doubt we'd even hear about it until the end of next year.

Hope you like it!
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

I don't know what is wrong with my browser, but I can't see your picture...
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I uploaded it to my personal website (hosted by 1and1.com). Not sure why it wouldn't load. LMK if you need the URL and I'll PM it to you.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

I made a custom one a long time ago some of you may have seen it

I think its a good base it holds a ton of figures. I'm all for the icons design but darker purples for sure that 2 sided picture is perfect just shave off the ends so that they are flat and can join together. Of course if it was one long piece that had an interior on the back side I think that would work well too and cut costs down

there are more pictures of it in my signature somewhere if you have not seen this before
    Last edited by smanomega; December 20, 2013 at 08:56pm.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

I can see your pics

Snake Mountain, for me has to be heavily Filmation influenced for the most part, but will accept a hybrid of it with the toy version.
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    I uploaded it to my personal website (hosted by 1and1.com). Not sure why it wouldn't load. LMK if you need the URL and I'll PM it to you.
    I can see it now. I'm on a different computer. Looks good! I like how you can customize it with one or three heads.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Heroic Warrior
    What I would like to see is a fold out playset like grayskull... the back half could be 'similar' to the original playset... the front half looking like fimation.

This would be about 3 'stories' tall as opposed to the grayskull's two.

It would be FUN. The original REALLY wan't very fun.... the inside was just the microphone and 'lava' monster/net....

The top level would be Skeletor's throne room. The bottom would be a dungeon level. Big enough toss Randor or the whole royal family in there... but a solid cage with chains on the wall.

Maybe something in the middle could be labratory or mystic hall or something kind of fun. But dungeon and throne room are musts for me.

This would be a good set to get that torture table that people want or some hover bots or some kind of add ons... maybe a void pit for the snake men or something.

Y'know... it always kind of amazed me how in the shows, Snake mountain was a common battleground with people getting trapped and broken out and what not... but for the toy all the play features were on the OUTSIDE... the bridges, trap doors, chains... etc.

Where as grayskull... had SOOOO much going inside with the thrones and elevators and weapon racks and such... but hte bad guys never got IN... all the fighting was done OUTside the castle

I would love to get a 'bad guy base' but I really wouldn't want a slavish devotion to ANY of the three designs they've done... They all had flaws and I would want to see some SERIOUS 'Bsheet' designs before agreeing to it.

The Evil Warriors are my all-time favorite faction, so I have been wanting a Snake Mountain since the line started, and I have always wanted one more than Grayskull, crazy as it might sound.

The Icons SM is an absolute revelation to me, it is the perfect balance and what I have always wanted in terms of design. I hope they bring it on.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Something like this concept I saw on FB.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps86f0e83b.jpg
    Agreed Tallstar, I would buy that!
    For the Best in Toy Reviews!!
    http://www.askkevanything.com

That looks like a winner to me, I am all over it.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar

That looks really cool!

I'm a big fan of the original playset, but I also think the Filmation influence needs to be included. Best of both worlds.

Now we are talking. Oh man would that be expensive. Everyone ready for a $500 Snake Mountain?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

If we get a Snake Mountain, this is how I want the package to be delivered
    Attached Images Attached Images