Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney's Frozen Discussion Thread

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Disney's Frozen Discussion Thread

I searched and couldn't find one about it, so here it is.

Frozen is said to be the best Disney film released since Beauty and The Beast. My wife and I went to see it yesterday afternoon, and IMHO, it's better than that older Disney flick. Don't get me wrong, I loved BATB but I just liked this one better.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

You knew this was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    You knew this was coming.
    I love animated movies in CGI, unlike most people seem to these days... .but this is one of the few, like the Croods, that I have no real interest in seeing. The trailer just wasn't that interesting to me.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I'll watch itwhen it comes on video(There's no theater in town and I DON'T have a reliable ride to an out of town one) However I have a feeling the little snowman will annoy people.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post

Frozen is said to be the best Disney film released since Beauty and The Beast. My wife and I went to see it yesterday afternoon, and IMHO, it's better than that older Disney flick. Don't get me wrong, I loved BATB but I just liked this one better.
    Saying alot since Aladdin, Lion King, Lilo and Stitch and even Wreck-it Ralph came out since then. I can for sure see skipping the last one in that list. I want to see this one.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Saying alot since Aladdin, Lion King, Lilo and Stitch and even Wreck-it Ralph came out since then. I can for sure see skipping the last one in that list. I want to see this one.
    you so just didn't diss wreck it ralph ;o)
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    you so just didn't diss wreck it ralph ;o)
    I think it was a good movie and quality wise fits the later 90s Disney movies. But it also just came out last year, but if Frozen is good and followed Wreck-it Ralph we might be on an upswing of Disney movies.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    However I have a feeling the little snowman will annoy people.
    I agree. Judging by some of the previews I have seen, he is going to come off as trying to be too funny and just end up being annoying. Me and the misses may go see it, and she will probably cry (as she does with most Disney movies).
    My post count just got bigger.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Based on the soundtrack alone, I don't see how it could best "Beauty and the Beast". There was only one stand out number for me ("Let It Go"). I do plan on heading out to see it at some point though!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when it comes to Olaf, the Snowman. He's not in it as much as the trailers seem to show and when he is there, it's done well.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when it comes to Olaf, the Snowman. He's not in it as much as the trailers seem to show and when he is there, it's done well.
    Completely agree. When he showed up on screen he definitely breathed some life into this movie. I liked it ok but not more than Beauty and the Beast or even Tangled. It's hard to explain but it was more like watching a broadway musical. Olaf and the reindeer were the best parts of the movie for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Olaf the snowman was great. I had reservations about him myself. He in no way was there to steal the show and came off a lot like a Lumier or Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast. I thoughly enjoyed Frozen. If I had one gripe it would be that Computer animated movies seem to lack character emotion. Characters actions can often seem quit robotic.

Master of New Adventures!
    Funny, but one's perspective is different when one is a parent. Now my fourteen-year old Alex has zero interest in this. But my 11 year old Zoe and 5 year old Max are sooooo excited.

At my age I enjoy the simple pleasure of seeing life through the eyes of my young children. To glance sidelong at them in them in the theater and see the smiles of wonderment on their faces is one of the blessings of the season. Thus, Frozen is on my list.

I took five year old and we enjoyed it. It was one of Disney's better non-Pixar efforts of recent years. I do wish this movie were done in hand-drawn style rather than 3-D.

My mom,sister & sister in law took my 2 boys & daughter. They also took one of my nieces & my nephew. They all came back & said it was good. But they were all 7 & under. I'll have to check the trailer. Never even heard of it.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I took five year old and we enjoyed it. It was one of Disney's better non-Pixar efforts of recent years. I do wish this movie were done in hand-drawn style rather than 3-D.
    agreed about your hand drawn comment. I think it has to do with how we grew up. its something i have to get over, even though i TOTALLY agree. I like Treasure planet, some 3D stuff, but mostly 2d style.

that being said.

This movie was AMAZINGLY done well. I am a 30 year old man. I won't pretend to be completely in touch with how a woman feels, but there seems to be LAYERS and layers of stuff that woman will get out of this... i am sure my daughters will understand more stuff as they get older....

music was a great effort at capturing the MUSICAL Disney movie. from top to bottom, great songs for the family.

some posters above seemed to be arguing about the annoying snow man, i just have to clear something up, He is about 1/10th annoying as the genie in aladdin. He kept things grounded in fun, random one liners, but nothing over bearing.....

also, they blew the doors off of the "true love" trap. which honestly , was such a breath of fresh air.

they need the act of true love to save someone, and instead of it being the true love of a kiss/man, it was the true love that a sister showed for another sister. This was very refreshing, and a great great example to show children that they dont need to be saved "by a man, but a man can still be a part of it....

well done Disney. Hans Christian anderson would be proud of this loose interpretation.

Heroic Warrior
    I love the movie, seen it twice already, though I wish there was more fight scenes with Elsa using her powers.

It is the best song on the soundtrack. Idina Menzel's voice is perfection! Even Demi Lovato's single version is good!

As for comparing it to Beauty and the Beast? All the reviews I have seen they compare it to The Lion King. And to me that's Disney's worst animated film since it was a rip off of Kimba The White Lion. And the Story was nothing spectacular!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Wife and I saw it Monday - I was really surprised! I mean, I figured I'd enjoy it, but it was WAY better than I figured it would be. My wife was worried the snowman would be annoying, but we ended up laughing at a majority of his antics. Music was good too, which is another surprise for me, 'cause usually that kinda stuff rolls off my head. Quite powerful stuff here, and I liked how the themes of the songs came back and then sorta merged.

Of course, the ending was what really made this one! They had a chance to make it standard or unique with the ending, and they went with unique! I'm so jaded that I just didn't expect it, so I'm glad they broke the mold a little.

Overall I'd love to see it in theater again before it's done. Certainly gona buy it when it comes out on tape. DVD. Bluray? I don't know anymore. You know what I mean.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior

Beauty and The Beast is a timeless classic now and was the first animated movie to be nominated for best picture, you can't beat that! yet this is as good as that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    It is the best song on the soundtrack. Idina Menzel's voice is perfection! Even Demi Lovato's single version is good!

As for comparing it to Beauty and the Beast? All the reviews I have seen they compare it to The Lion King. And to me that's Disney's worst animated film since it was a rip off of Kimba The White Lion. And the Story was nothing spectacular!
    Oh i like Lion King but give me Aladdin and Pinocchio anytime.

I saw this movie 3 times and i loved it, now one of my favorite Disney animated movies now. I have been pleased lately with their new stuff like Princess and Frog, Tangled, winnie The Pooh (better than Cars 2 if you ask me) and Wreck it Ralph with now Frozen.

It's also nice to see Disney focus on their own division rather than leeching off other properties they claim now as their own like Pixar, Marvel, Muppet Studio, Ghibli and Lucasfilm even though we are all happy with how Disney handled Marvel, Pixar (except Cars 2), US dubs of Ghibli and Muppets yet soon they might do good with SW and Indiana Jones but Disney has a new golden age now.

I can't wait for Big Hero 6.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I liked Frozen, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Beauty & the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I liked Frozen, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Beauty & the Beast.
    I would say it's more a statement about the quality of the more fairly recent Disney films than anything else. When most people I know mention Beauty and Beast, they are more often talking about the time frame of Disney movies with Little Mermaind, Aladdin, Lion King. Then not quite as liked era of Hunchback, Pocahontas, Mulan, Hercules and Tarzan, then it just seemed to keep getting worse.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I would say it's more a statement about the quality of the more fairly recent Disney films than anything else. When most people I know mention Beauty and Beast, they are more often talking about the time frame of Disney movies with Little Mermaind, Aladdin, Lion King. Then not quite as liked era of Hunchback, Pocahontas, Mulan, Hercules and Tarzan, then it just seemed to keep getting worse.
    I am a Disney fan and i like those but the best ones were Hunchback, Mulan and Tarzan and are highly underrated.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I really liked it. A couple things to keep in mind if you haven't seen it yet:

1. It's said to be based on The Snow Queen. Actually the credits sate "inspired" by the Snow Queen and yes it's loosely inspired. Now it came about after years of Disney trying to adapt The Snow Queen but the final product has almost nothing in common with the original story. Not that this is a bad thing though, it helps the film stand out as something more original which is always welcome. I'm just saying if you're expecting an actual film version of The Snow Queen this ain't it.

2. If you don't like musicals this isn't for you because there is a LOT of singing especially at the beginning. Sure most Disney films have songs, often quite memorable ones at that, but this one seamed, to me at least, to have a good deal more than usual. (fortunately, as a man of the theater, I do like musicals) I agree that "Let it Go" is the best song -and the animation during the scene is very well done too.

I actually think they went the right route with computer animation as it makes all the ice stand out and look more spectacular. I really enjoyed how it put a spin on a lot of typical fairy tale elements and made a unique story with a few surprises.

Particularly:

I did not see Hans' betrayal coming. This was a good twist as he's really made out to be a good heroic character up until the climax. Sure everyone is right to point out that Anna rushes into a relationship with him too fast and it's pretty obvious she'll ultimately go with Kristoff instead, but he still seamed like a nice guy until he drops the bombshell. As he leans in for the kiss then stops and sighs, I thought he was going to say something to the effect of admitting they couldn't be true loves. Wasn't expecting a villain reveal.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I am a Disney fan and i like those but the best ones were Hunchback, Mulan and Tarzan and are highly underrated.
    I haven't seen Hunchback, no real reason just haven't, Mulan is great, and Tarzan was good. I also haven't seen Pocahontas, and only about half the movies that came out past 2000. Tarzan the complaint was the lack of musical numbers, I thought it was fine it didn't have any as always making them musical can be a stretch.

So I can agree on those two, but I also was struggling a bit to find the exact phrase to use it's not that that set of movies is disliked they just don't get as much praise in general as the moves just before it. But I also liked Atlantis and Treasure Planet, Hercules I appreciate what they were doing by kind of making him a modern superstar hero but on top of the changes to the myth did too much changing.