Thread: Seeking a writer and collaborator for MOTU Fanfilm Script…

Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar

Seeking a writer and collaborator for MOTU Fanfilm Script…

Note: Mod's hopefully this is allowed. It is for the purposes of fan film/fanfiction.

Hey fellow He-fan's and She-ravers:

What I'm looking for: I am currently looking a collaborator and co-writer for a script(s) for a Live-action MOTU fan film. I'd like someone who is creative and can craft an effective mature (not adult - more LOTR) type fantasy story.

About Me: I've been on the org for a long time but am a bit of a lurker. To give you a little background about myself I am an artist getting my degree in computer animation, specifically, visual f/x and also an actor. Been a huge MOTU fan since I was a kid. I have been the past director of theatre group so I have experience directing people. I am a bit of a jack-of-all trades making costume stuff, props, sets, etc.

Many people are asking, "Why don't you write this yourself?" That is a very valid question. The answer is: I would love to write it myself but this production is going to take tons of time and since I'm a one man crew (so far) I need help. I just can't produce, direct, make props/costumes, possibly act, do f/x work, and write this thing. So I thought I'd come to the community, first. I have the start of some ideas on paper and in my head but I need help bringing things to life as a script. Also remember I'm in school and work so obviously, I have time limitations. As much as I like to think I'm Superman and can do everything, I really can't. I want to involve other people that would like to help and be involved and are very passionate about MOTU. It isn't the "Lee show" or I'd do an entirely animated film. Now please understand I'm not a dictator and open to lots of suggestion but please be easy, approachable, and able to work together and collaborate. I am footing the bill so I am the producer, and have to happy with the final story.

About The Project: This is where I may lose some of you. I loved MOTU growing up and I feel like a couple of areas have already been covered. James Carroll has done the Filmation style with his "Wizard Of Stone Mountain" trilogy. The "Tales Of Eternia" web series (I'm doing a few f/x for) seems to be handling 200x. I'm talking the red-headed step child. No, not New Adventures, the '87 film. I know many people hate the film. I'm one of those that really liked it. Sure it had some overly corny moments and some of the costumes were different from what we were used to as kids but production values weren't bad (for the time) and there are some epic performances like Langella as Skeletor. So to the few people still interested PM me and we'll talk. I have some interesting takes on things, where it should go, and how to handle some issues such as making the characters a little more familiar without going outside of the style. Also, I am a bit of perfectionist and stickler for detail so you can bet the final project will look awesome.

What You'll Receive: First and foremost my undying gratitude for helping me with this labor of love. Full credits on the film of course. I am a team player and believe that everyone who puts in work deserves credit. Again, this is not all about me. A Copy of the dvd for all cast and crew and a big hug. Ok, maybe you don't want the hug. Who knows? How bout a slice of pizza? Since it is a fan film it is non-profit and will not be monetarily compensated.

So hopefully this will excite someone and I can get help with script. I would love to get the ball rolling and announce the project is in progress and move it forward.

Thanks for reading guys and gals!

Lee

aka skeletor73

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Why is there a base in the '87 movie.?

Do you mean that it is live and as real as possible or traveling to earth to eat chicken and talk to cows??

I am a fan of cows, I have been watching through 4 seasons of RawHide so I know the beeves hold up well on screen, especially next to Clint Eastwood.

Also I have often had trouble in my mind trying to see Masters of the Universe as anything other than a big movie; 100-s of millions to blow on contractors and DP's and agencies and market makers and shakers.

I know stage actors who sing and dance for no money or fame, and they do a very good job, but I don't think they could do it just right, and you need more than these types of actors.
    ..(where do you get a body for He-Man ..even if you have the hair/wig)

Otherwise I would like to help, but I don't even know how to get my stuff made.

Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar
    Let me see if I can answer some of your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Why is there a base in the '87 movie.?

Thought I explained that one.

1. Cause I really dig aspects of it, the concept, and the overall look of the film and the design.
    2. Most folks are covering other sources for inspiration, so I chose one that no one is currently working on. Also, while I love Filmation from my youth, it's more nostalgia there. I'd like something a little more mature without going over board. Yes, there was a lot of cheesy moments from the '87 Film but I plan to tone that down. I was hoping for something a little more LOTR meets the 200x series but out of respect to the folks I'm working with on "Tales From Eternia" I opted for something else.

Do you mean that it is live and as real as possible or traveling to earth to eat chicken and talk to cows??

See comments above. Yes it is live. No trips to Earth and no cows!!!

I am a fan of cows, I have been watching through 4 seasons of RawHide so I know the beeves hold up well on screen, especially next to Clint Eastwood.
    Um...ok. I like cows as well. They are tasty.

Also I have often had trouble in my mind trying to see Masters of the Universe as anything other than a big movie; 100-s of millions to blow on contractors and DP's and agencies and market makers and shakers.

This will be made for a fraction. I would love to have millions or heck, thousands to blow on the project but I have to be realistic. This is a fanfilm so I have to make it look amazing on a shoe string. Some of the Star Wars and even Batman fan films people are producing look pretty decent so that's what I'm shooting for. Technology has come a long way.

I know stage actors who sing and dance for no money or fame, and they do a very good job, but I don't think they could do it just right, and you need more than these types of actors.

I disagree. You don't seem to know the right actors. Camera work is different than stage work and not everyone can do both. People that I plan to pick for this need some serious chops and believe me, I am picky. But before I can cast it I have to have a solid script. Baby steps. I already have some actors lined up and will be picking up more as soon as I have a solid story.

..(where do you get a body for He-Man ..even if you have the hair/wig)

Lots of working out and exercise?!? Gotta find the right person for the part. This is one of the hardest aspects of making MOTU, I'd say. But I have an idea without making him look ridiculous. (Oh and to all other fan-filmakers, please, for the love of Pete, loose the orange pageboy wig. It doesn't look good on anyone. Period!

Otherwise I would like to help, but I don't even know how to get my stuff made.
    Honestly, not being a fan of the 87 film, I'm not sure if this is a good fit for you. As far as making your own stuff you just have to get out there and do it. That's what I'm doing. But if you're planning on live action you need to learn CG stuff. Editing and compositing software, photoshop all of that. And you have to have a camera and recording software and hardware. Not just modeling unless you want the whole thing to be animated. If it were me, since you have so much work done on that end of it already, that would be where I start and put together your ideas into an animated movie. Good luck!

..I haven't figured out how to animate yet.

The models I am making are actually meant as a gauge for live action, but it will need a big backing from millionaires to make it, and those chumps are all busy hiding from Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura or planning/ignoring WW3... I ramble too.

Now.. the story of Masters of the Universe from beginning to end is in my storyboards, but the story is split into two movies, this is because the timeline in-between these two movies is where you make a TV show or other He-Man and She-Ra material, the little stories. I think if you can understand my complete story then you could understand/relate to a simple story taking place in the middle of the grander story.
    It would be like how filmation just jumped into the story without explaining who anyone was, which is cool in retrospect but bugged me when I was young and wanted to know more. There is no huge difference in my work to filmation, but I make it a given that there is and has always been a royal family with Adam and Adora, (no baby snatching), and She-Ra is about blood/natural magic as opposed to rock/crystal magic.
    If you can get this, then you can make a small story in the middle of my big story, and it would be just as awesome.

Also it would be flawless and perfect, because I am without flaws in my perfectionism.
    ..which is really an academic pursuit of the greatest storytelling, meaning and message in the world, to ever be done ever.
    This is a task Hollywood is never going to undertake unless under 'pain of death'.
    ..because Hollywood thinks movies will be around forever making them more and more money.

Also I never said I didn't like the 1987 movie, it is ..neat.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletor73 View Post
    What I'm looking for: I am currently looking a collaborator and co-writer for a script(s) for a Live-action MOTU fan film. I'd like someone who is creative and can craft an effective mature (not adult - more LOTR) type fantasy story...
    I'm not a writer by any means, however I've worked in post-production as an editor for nearly ten years now. I've worked on programs for HBO, MTV, Nat Geo, several of the Discovery channels, etc. You can always bounce ideas off of me and I can be a great resource for cameras, editing, audio, and color grading. I've done some directing (mostly music videos for friends with no money) so I have a good knack for what you can get away with on a small budget, but make it look like you spent a hell of a lot more. I've had ideas for what a MOTU feature today could look like, but it might be pretty unpopular on here. I wasn't a huge fan of the '87 movie though - but I'd still offer my help if you wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I'm not a writer by any means, however I've worked in post-production as an editor for nearly ten years now. I've worked on programs for HBO, MTV, Nat Geo, several of the Discovery channels, etc. You can always bounce ideas off of me and I can be a great resource for cameras, editing, audio, and color grading. I've done some directing (mostly music videos for friends with no money) so I have a good knack for what you can get away with on a small budget, but make it look like you spent a hell of a lot more. I've had ideas for what a MOTU feature today could look like, but it might be pretty unpopular on here. I wasn't a huge fan of the '87 movie though - but I'd still offer my help if you wanted it.
    I bet you have stories to tell.