View Poll Results: What do I do with my Castle Grayskull?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open it, fool!

72 97.30%
  • Think about the future; keep it in the box.

2 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicted about Castle Grayskull: Loose vs. MIB

Conflicted about Castle Grayskull: Loose vs. MIB

I am confronted by a quandary, .Orgers. My Castle Grayskull is here and has been sitting in my living room for a few days now, like a piece of pop culture furniture. I simply don't have the jewels to open it up.

When I preordered at the lowest price, I didn't anticipate being confronted by such a dilemma where I am unsure if I should open and assemble it, or leave it MIB as a valuable, limited collectible.

Just for context, I store my figures in a single glass Ikea shelf (detolf, btw, if you need a recco) and I don't have a "toy room" or a "man cave." I have a 2BR apt and a wife who is cool with my treasures...as long as they don't overtake our space. The Castle, if opened, would be enjoyed then stored, likely in a closet, for occasional viewing along with my MOTU collection. Opening it would be great but I realize the brief intoxication of unboxing it would be far more short-lived than its overall potential value down the road.

But, my wife threw away the custom box it arrived in, making the stored Grayskull in its 4-color box susceptible to storage damage...dings, dust, cats and calamity.

The easy answer is "buy another!" but at $50 more than my preordered price, I am too stubborn to do so...then find storage space for a second Castle to boot.

I need you to help me. Show of hands: open Castle Grayskull or keep it in the box?

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well, cannot tell you what to do, it's up to you....but i can tell you i'm going to open mine with no doubt at all.

Are you really planning on selling it down the road? I guess if you strictly bought it as investment then keep it boxed. On the otherhand,if you're a MOTU fan and want to experience the item go for it. It'd be much more enjoyable for anyone who sees it, including yourself.

Also, even opened if you keep the box I'm sure you'd be able to make your money back and then some in the future if you ever decided to part with it.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

i think if you are a he-fan youll want this open, i cant see letting a 250.00 box just sit there. you need to open it.

Open it. the way it's packaged there will be no trouble putting it back all you need is tape and maintain the inserts.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'll open it for you...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Open it and enjoy it while you still can!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    If you don't open it, you spent almost 300 bucks for a cardboard box.

I can see leaving carded figures or packages where you can actually see the toys inside, but a sealed box, heck, you can't even be sure you HAVE a Grayskull in there. How many folks received a Sorceress in a Fisto box, hmmm?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    If you don't open it, you spent almost 300 bucks for a cardboard box.

I can see leaving carded figures or packages where you can actually see the toys inside, but a sealed box, heck, you can't even be sure you HAVE a Grayskull in there. How many folks received a Sorceress in a Fisto box, hmmm?
    I never did understand MIB collectors when it came to windowless packaging. open it up display the box AND toy.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Open it. It might just be an empty box. You'll never know. Or somebody could have replaced the contents with rocks to fool you. You have to be sure you haven't been swindled.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Don't want to be calling anyone a fool but ... just open up that masterpiece !!

While I used to be a predominately MOSC / MISB collector, I did almost always open the boxed stuff to mess with it before eventually putting it back for boxed display.... Open it, enjoy, but it is pointless however if you're only a MOSC collector of the figures....other than to take it out, look at it, take pictures or something, then put it back. To this day though, I do still keep the boxes from the boxed figures, and many of the carded packages (cut open at the bottoms and pulled out so you can't tell if they were put back in that they were ever opened while in a ZW case) to the figures since the Blastic ones, except Frosta, I need to get an extra for MOSC, so I can do a little customization to my loose one.

If you have extra loose figures, have at it, even if not, have at it, you can always put it back in the box....so long as you don't put the handle portion on, supposedly the Pawn comes back off, but the handle not so much.
    Recent....Blade
    Coming....Scorpia & Battle Lion
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    "Open it, fool!"

Never has a poll choice summed my opinion so precisely.

OPEN!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

of course you have to open it. The box is beautiful, and certainly keep it for as long as you can. But it may as well be empty. DId you really spend that much to have a cool looking square?

No.

The problem I have with MIB collectors is they think it's bascially worthless if it's opened. Well to a fan of what is inside It is basically worthless unopened. because it may as well just be empty packaging for all the appreciation you can get, especially with an opaque box.

SO yeah, if you want to just resell it, then sure. Be that guy. Not a guy I particularly feel empathy or friendlyness too, but sure. If you are afraid some day you may want to sell it. Sure. I still dont empathise, but in that case, heck with the unopened box. Just keep it and keep the stuff in great shape.

Shouldnt even be a question. If you valued money more than this toy you should not have bought this toy.

And if you are a speculator, well then I wont comment further what I think that would make you.

Open the dang thing. Sounds like you shouldnt have bought it altogether. Also sounds like you may not be the kind of collector I am, so my opinion probably doesnt matter anyway.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    of course you have to open it. The box is beautiful, and certainly keep it for as long as you can. But it may as well be empty. DId you really spend that much to have a cool looking square?

No.

The problem I have with MIB collectors is they think it's bascially worthless if it's opened. Well to a fan of what is inside It is basically worthless unopened. because it may as well just be empty packaging for all the appreciation you can get, especially with an opaque box.

SO yeah, if you want to just resell it, then sure. Be that guy. Not a guy I particularly feel empathy or friendlyness too, but sure. If you are afraid some day you may want to sell it. Sure. I still dont empathise, but in that case, heck with the unopened box. Just keep it and keep the stuff in great shape.

Shouldnt even be a question. If you valued money more than this toy you should not have bought this toy.

And if you are a speculator, well then I wont comment further what I think that would make you.

Open the dang thing. Sounds like you shouldnt have bought it altogether. Also sounds like you may not be the kind of collector I am, so my opinion probably doesnt matter anyway.

Good luck.
    If they want to leave it closed they have every right to regardless if you like MOSC collectors or not, it would be nice for you to not condescend to them or other people who collect differently than yourself every time the issue comes up, a simple "open it" would suffice. WHo cares if you empathize, they didn't ask you that. Why post if that's how you're going to be to people? Collect your way, they'll collect theirs, I'm sure people could pick your collecting habits apart as well. Don't hide condescension behind opinion.
    Recent....Blade
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    That's why I got 2! But if I only got one I'd be opening it, MOTUC is one of the only lines I collect both loose and MOC. The mix and match possibilities make this line so much fun. But the castle is just one of those pieces that will be so much more fun and impressive out of the package. Plus it looks like if you want and don't secure the handle it will go back in the box, but I haven't got mine yet so another member would have to verify this.

It's never going to be worth thousands. There is a lot of collectors keeping them in box. Opening will likely not devalue it a whole lot.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    That's why I got 2! But if I only got one I'd be opening it, MOTUC is one of the only lines I collect both loose and MOC. The mix and match possibilities make this line so much fun. But the castle is just one of those pieces that will be so much more fun and impressive out of the package. Plus it looks like if you want and don't secure the handle it will go back in the box, but I haven't got mine yet so another member would have to verify this.
    Supposedly the handle isn't removable once installed, but the pawn comes back off. And no, it won't go back in if those two pieces are on it.
    Recent....Blade
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Just do whatever makes you happy! It's yours and yours alone, so you can choose to open it or keep it sealed. Just don't feel stressed about it and enjoy yourself!!!
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Toys are very bad investments over the long term. If you factor in storage fees per cubic foot you'd find that they appreciate very poorly against a decent stock. Open it and don't look back. Good memories are worth it.
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

Gratitude to those who've chimed in, for better or worse (ouch, there's some heat out there). Your input and the poll results have weighed heavy on me and I plan on rendering a decision tonight.

I'll let you all know what path I take on this Good Journey.

Court Magician
    It probably will not go up in price since alot of collectors have bought a second one of these and will be selling those off in the coming years. Also the ones that do get opened are going to be handled by adult collectos and not little children that destroy it by playing with it ... I was thinking of buying a second one to keep in the box however the price is too much since 300 + 151 shipping costs + crazy dhl charging over hundred euros for importing it... However I opened the one I allready have and I am enjoying it very much ... everytime I take a look at it I just have a big smile on my face ... I have lots of figures manning the castle though ... I would suggest to open those too!!

I'll have to agree with the majority, here and state. yes toys are meant to be played with. enjoy them young or old. just have some marked somehow, to know witch ones you beat on. and others just for display.

Open it cuz as long as you keep all the pieces and poster, I don't see this item losing much value down the road, should the time come that you need to sell it....just maybe don't attach the handle or "chess piece" on the top so that it is EXACTLY as it would be if it really were MIB for the next potential buyer.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.