Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Talkback *Spoilers*

Yeah, that's part of the problem. It's not that I don't like reading stuff like that, but I tend to read it in spurts more than all at once and I am bad about wanting to finishing reading something before moving onto something else.

I know a bit around the whole thing, like some of the Unfinished tales are essentially earlier versions of some of the stuff put in Silmarillion. Which is why I said Tolkien didn't seem quite satisfied. It's kind of funny in a way with the comparisons to the entries made that Lucas and Tolkien both did things like this, but the difference in approach and how it was handled sets them apart. But I do wonder if Lord of the Rings was being written now if he would get similar flak for the changes or not. I mean the change to the riddle game changes Gollum and the way it's handled also changes Bilbo.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    I loved the movie.

I loved the first one.

As for stretched or Padded or whatever?? I'm FINE with it. Absolutely fine with all of it. If he wanted to make this book into 4 movies I'd be giddy.

I have all four of the extended editions, and can't wait for the next one to come out. More minutes = more middle earth goodness.

Did Jackson change a few things? Absolutely. Are they BAD changes?? Not even a bit. All the changes I've noticed only make the movie MORE enjoyable than if they had filmed it the way Tolkien wrote it for his small children.

First of all.. the dwarves took WEAPONS with them to the dragon filled mountain... so ALREADY a bonus

But the way I look at is this... What book DOESN'T get changed from paper to screen? MOST books/movies I've seen, the 'fans' walk away grumbling about how 'so and so' didn't get his subplot included' or 'It was ok... but they cut out sooooo much'... The idea that THIS book includes everything Including the notes and appendices??? HECK YES!!!

Zero complaints!

Ok... maybe a little groaning with where it ended... but he ALWAYS does exciting cliffhangers that make me groan. So I was pretty much expecting it.

ANNNNNND....

more dragon next time!!! I really do NOT remember anything in the book after Smaug (it's been about 10 years.... ) Soooo I was a little concerned with what the third movie would be if the dragon was killed in movie 2.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    My wife took me to see it today for my birthday...and I loved it! Great movie! Cant wait to see Part 3 for my birthday next year.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

*** *** SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! *** ***

ANNNNNND....

more dragon next time!!! I really do NOT remember anything in the book after Smaug (it's been about 10 years.... ) Soooo I was a little concerned with what the third movie would be if the dragon was killed in movie 2.
    I pretty much expected Peter Jackson to save the death of Smaug for the final movie, but the funny thing is that he certainly didn't have to.

There is PLENTY of stuff that happens after Bard puts the arrow in Smaug. In fact, I think that the third movie could possibly be the longest/biggest of the three.

There is the whole battle of five armies that takes place as well as the events leading up to it, i.e. Bilbo stealing the Arkenstone and delivering it to the armies of Men and Elves, the appearance of Beorn and the death Thorin, etc.. Plus we have to expect that Peter Jackson will fill us in on what happens to Gandalf on his way back to the lonely mountain and wrap up the whole Azog/Thorin back-story...... And let's not forget Gandalf and Bilbo's whole trip back to Hobbiton in the Shire.... there is A LOT to cover in the final installment indeed.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

2nd Star To The Right, And Straight On 'Till Morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    There is PLENTY of stuff that happens after Bard puts the arrow in Smaug. In fact, I think that the third movie could possibly be the longest/biggest of the three.

There is the whole battle of five armies that takes place as well as the events leading up to it, i.e. Bilbo stealing the Arkenstone and delivering it to the armies of Men and Elves, the appearance of Beorn and the death Thorin, etc.. Plus we have to expect that Peter Jackson will fill us in on what happens to Gandalf on his way back to the lonely mountain and wrap up the whole Azog/Thorin back-story...... And let's not forget Gandalf and Bilbo's whole trip back to Hobbiton in the Shire.... there is A LOT to cover in the final installment indeed.
    Definitely the Battle of Five Armies will be big. Gandalf should be back for that. Prior to that should be the attack on Dol Guldur by the White Council. In theory that should include at least Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman. (Gandalf, too, but of course in the movie he's already there.) They could possibly throw in some Mirkwood and/or Lothlorien elves, too. (Most of the elves of both places were Silvan elves. Thranduil and Celeborn, Galadriel's husband, were both Sindar, which are a little "higher". Galadriel was a Noldor, which was the "highest" kind of elf in Middle Earth at the time.)

The Azog storyline will be settled at the Battle of Five Armies. In the original Tolkien lore, he actually was killed by Thorin's cousin during the War of Dwarves and Orcs 150 years prior. It was his son, Bolg, who led the orcs to Erebor, and Bolg was killed there.

The book doesn't say much about the return journey. Gandalf and Bilbo travel north of Mirkwood on the way back, and Beorn travels with them. It records their return to Rivendell and then picking up the gold that was hidden near the trolls. And then, of course, the sale going on at Bag End.

Heroic Warrior
    I finally saw Desolation of Smaug last night and Good Lord was it good! I got a little bit fanboy twitchy with some of the changes. I won't go into that, though, as they've already been talked about here.

I loved the move. I freaking loved Smaug! Bilbo was excellent in this one, and I loved Gandalf too. I thought they did a great job with Beorn, how he looked and spoke, his bear form.

I sincerely hope we get a Smaug statue or some sort of posable figure. I will definitely be buying it if there is one.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I pretty much expected Peter Jackson to save the death of Smaug for the final movie, but the funny thing is that he certainly didn't have to.

Yep, I've heard a lot of cool stuff to come... but it's been so long since i read the book, I have ZERO memory of the battle of the five armies. Nothing at all..

If put on a trivia show, i totally would have said the book ended with smaug dropping.

GAHHHHH I'm giddy just waiting and I have a WHOLE YEAR!!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep, I've heard a lot of cool stuff to come... but it's been so long since i read the book, I have ZERO memory of the battle of the five armies. Nothing at all..

If put on a trivia show, i totally would have said the book ended with smaug dropping.

GAHHHHH I'm giddy just waiting and I have a WHOLE YEAR!!!!
    Now is the perfect time to re-read one of the best fantasy epics of all time!

Then you'll be all set for the finale next year!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

In “Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien”, letter 163, about “The Hobbit”:

“It was unhappily really meant, as far as I was conscious, as a ‘children's story’, and as I had not learned sense then, and my children were not quite old enough to correct me, it has some of the sillinesses of manner caught unthinkingly from the kind of stuff I had had served to me, as Chaucer may catch a minstrel tag. I deeply regret them. So do intelligent children.”

I heard a lot of folks aren't happy about jackson trying to make the Hobbit more epic and dark, but as you read above Tolkien himself grew to regret a lot of the tone of the hobbit and how it did not fit in with the middle earth he went on to create in "the lord of the rings ". JRR spent many a year trying to fix "the Hobbit" , the large changes to "riddles in the dark " chapter being the most famous, but he added a lot in the appendices and the "the quest for Erebor ". he even started to re write the hobbit at one stage but couldn't make it work. Tolkien came to think of the hobbit as "bilbos version of the quest" we read the story as bilbo wrote it and frodo would have read it. bilbo is a bit of a unreliable narrator when it comes to the truth at parts. i think peter jackson is borrowing for this concept a lot and to me makes perfect sense in how he is handling the martial, personally while not being faithful to the book i think he is more faithful to tolkiens vision of middle earth than he was even with LOTR

I just saw it and it was so-so. The dragon was the best part, and it irked me how they dragged out his scenes by cutting away to the fishing village over and over. I also liked the Spider scenes. Those things were easier to kill than I thought.

Two things kept me from enjoying the movie more.

1) Like other movies in middle earth, it was too long. I almost fell asleep in the fishing village. Part of me wished I could fast forward many sections of the film.

2) I'm tired of good fighters who take down too many people. There were times when the Elves were too over the top with their agility and movements and pulled me out of the story to think, "Yah, riiiiight" with how they moved, especially during the barrel scene.

I prefer part 1, and that was largely due to the Brown wizard. I wish he had a bigger part this time around. He's a hoot.

I give it a five out of 10.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Finally saw it today(would have seen it before but the friend I went with had gotten sick) I enjoyed it but I prefer the first one(I really want to see the last one though)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    2) I'm tired of good fighters who take down too many people. There were times when the Elves were too over the top with their agility and movements and pulled me out of the story to think, "Yah, riiiiight" with how they moved, especially during the barrel scene.
    Elves are superhumanly agile in most canons.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I really liked it, I do wonder if we are getting an Extended Edition in November though I haven't heard any news on this.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I honestly don't get why people say these movies are too long. I could sit watching them for 5 hours if it was for me. Of course if I didn't like them, it would be hell, but so far the extended editions have always been better than the theatrical and I don't believe that is gonna change. If I'll pay 12 euros to see a movie, I want it to last at least 2 hours.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I really liked it, I do wonder if we are getting an Extended Edition in November though I haven't heard any news on this.
    Don't worry we are. Jackson confirmed it last year. All 3 movies will have extended cuts.

Thanks didn't really want to buy both versions.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think that Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies were so much better than the Hobbit ones. Why is that? I can watch the LotR movies over and over and not get tired of them, but I've seen the Hobbit movies twice and have no desire to ever watch them again. Weird.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think that Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies were so much better than the Hobbit ones. Why is that? I can watch the LotR movies over and over and not get tired of them, but I've seen the Hobbit movies twice and have no desire to ever watch them again. Weird.
    I don't disagree. I love the LOTR trilogy and count them among my favorite movies. The Hobbit films aren't bad, or anything, but I just don't have much affection for them, or interest. I don't dislike them, I just don't seem to care all that much. I kind of wish I did.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Smaug was good (as Dragons tend to be) but the rest of the film was just MEH, kinda forgettable really.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I think it has to do with the fact the books are different in tone and approach, The Hobbit is more of an adventure with spurts of action, Lord of the Rings is more of an Epic with more drawn out action. They have really had to expand the action in the Hobbit and add in lots of sub plots to get it to length. For example I don't mind Tauriel being added in, and Legolas for that much but the love story aspect was forced.

There's also the problem of it's hard to hold stakes when it's a prequel so certain people don't die. I also don't really care how they changed the encounter with Thorin and Thanduil.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
    I honestly don't get why people say these movies are too long. I could sit watching them for 5 hours if it was for me. Of course if I didn't like them, it would be hell, but so far the extended editions have always been better than the theatrical and I don't believe that is gonna change. If I'll pay 12 euros to see a movie, I want it to last at least 2 hours.
    This!!!!

I honestly got excited today when I saw the DVD in the store... then Remembered OH YEAH.... I'm not buying THIS one... I want the ADDED STUFF

Just like always

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like re-watching both it just depends what kind of mood I'm in.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar