Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Hydron Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Hydron Video Review by Pixel Dan

Adding to the ranks of the Galactic Protectors! More New adventures, yay!

Enjoy! Any additional questions, let me know!

For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I am just so happy to have more NA figures,but the bulky armor does hurt the figure. The sculpted knife does not help either.

Overall,I do like him and the colors are great. Love the pic of all the NA figures. NA skelletor will really fill these guys out nice.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

He's a bit bright looking for my tastes. Not that it's a big complaint, but I would have preferred the colours more close those on the show.

Also I find it a bit odd that the toy for the standard version of Hydron has the head and face mask of the variant shown in this picture rather than the one that was on the original.

FigHydronSpinFistLoose1a.jpg

Another thing I would have appreciated would be an extra head without the fin helmet and face mask on. Seems weird in comparison with Flipshot since we don't get to see Hydron's unobscured head.
    Last edited by Masamune; December 18, 2013 at 10:38am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with you completely, that sculpted knife would have been much cooler if it were removable, and this looks to be the bulkiest armor yet almost like its a robotic suit or something it's so large? What's up with your Collectors Connection podcasts? Are you guys still doing them and just taking a break?

Good question,are those pod casts still happening? I loved the randy Faulk edition from Neca,but I really wish you guys would have asked more about the horror lines they do.

Are there more terminator figures planned?
    Any more Noes,Friday the 13 or Halloween figures planned?
    Any movement on rocky horror picture show figures?
    Any cult classics in the work?

I know you guys only have so much time with him,but if you have him again can you get some of those questions in?

Sorry do get of topic.

Great review by the way!
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    What's up with your Collectors Connection podcasts? Are you guys still doing them and just taking a break?
    Jay from TNI is the man behind that show, so I believe we're just waiting for his direction. Last I heard, he was having trouble rounding up a new special guest, most likely due to the holiday season. But I'm sure we'll be doing more!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Good question,are those pod casts still happening? I loved the randy Faulk edition from Neca,but I really wish you guys would have asked more about the horror lines they do.

Are there more terminator figures planned?
    Any more Noes,Friday the 13 or Halloween figures planned?
    Any movement on rocky horror picture show figures?
    Any cult classics in the work?

I know you guys only have so much time with him,but if you have him again can you get some of those questions in?

Sorry do get of topic.

Great review by the way!
    Well I'm certainly glad to see folks enjoy that show!!

Randy was on a very limited time table. We would have kep thim on all night if we could. He wants to come back on, it's just a matter of getting the time to do it with him again.

I believe we have plans to do something around Toy Fair time for sure. Stay tuned guys!!

TOTALLY would have LOVED a extra head.. the armor is bulky BUT for this guy i think it actually works... would have liked tho see the armor and the arms color to match.. but yet again not a deal breaker.. just pumped to get more NA in the line... over all very cooL!!!
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Thanks for the review Dan. Hydron looks pretty good, but I would have liked him better if they would have moved the connectors further back so he wasn't so chunky. lol.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    I agree with you completely, that sculpted knife would have been much cooler if it were removable, and this looks to be the bulkiest armor yet almost like its a robotic suit or something it's so large?
    I had similar thoughts. I realize the bulkiness is probably just a design flaw, however, one -could- rationalize its a huge suit of armor made to protect Hydron in battle as well as from the depths of the ocean and space. I also agree that a removable knife would have went a long way to plusing him up a bit. Maybe some minor tweaks to the colors too.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    With a suit that bulky, it would probably be impossible, in real life, to scratch your nether regions should you need to do so. Thanks for the review as always, Dan. I usually watch them right before I turn off the lights for the night. My wife always chuckles when she hears 'hey guyssss, this is pixel daaaaan ...'

I like 'em, but we'll see when I get him in hand. I think I'm going to be going through a lot of weapons to see if something else looks nice with him. Also, is it possible to continue shoving the handle through until it faces downward? Dunno if I explained that right. It looks like you could hook it through, but I'm not sure until I have it.

Anyway, not bad! I liked the second version of him better, though.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Nice review, thank you.
    I don't know why, not even near a fav figure, but I'm wanting an unmasked head for him in the upcoming head pack.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Also, is it possible to continue shoving the handle through until it faces downward? Dunno if I explained that right. It looks like you could hook it through, but I'm not sure until I have it.

Anyway, not bad! I liked the second version of him better, though.
    That was my initial thought, but the hoop isn't quite big enough. What I showed is about as far as it goes without some serious pushing.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Always happy to see NA figures show up - however I've never been a fan of Hydron even though I had him as a kid. I always prefered him in the cartoon - the dark green colours over the sickly highlighted greens on the toy.

I hope we get to Tuskador soon.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    That was my initial thought, but the hoop isn't quite big enough. What I showed is about as far as it goes without some serious pushing.
    Thanks! I'll have to try some modifications...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I have been waiting for this guy for a while. Got to be honest... a little let down by the overall design of the figure. I would have thought the Horsemen would've modernized the snorkel and weapon to include some other colors. Not just kept them that solid yellow. This guy needed just a little more Paint Deco for my taste. And this figure if any needed the second head. The sculpted knife doesn't surprise me, they are trying to save money with some of these sculpts and it's understandable. Still disappointing, but understandable. Overall... happy that we get more NA, but let down a bit.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Heroic Warrior
    I would like a 2nd head too. Maybe it will come with another figure? Wasn't there some discussion about a heads pack a few months ago?

Great review Dan but boy does that armor make the figure look awful!

Why does Mattel keep putting the clasps for the armor on the thickest part of the torso? Back in the days of Terry they were more to the back and didn't had thickness to the body.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

No matter how look at it, i just completely hate the bulkyness

I do wish he just had a newly sculpted torso, like sy-clone, rather than armor as the original figure didn't have removable armor.

The other thing that is a bit more annoying is the arms and legs being a dif color. Yeah I guess the original had dif colors but I think that was more due to the plastics being used and was not done on purpose.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    No matter how look at it, i just completely hate the bulkyness
    Have to agree. I strongly support NA in Classics, particularly since I have loved all of them so far. But I just can't get past the armor on this one. I wonder if the "Sea Hawk Armor Fix" will work on this guy? Honestly, in the video, I liked him best when he was briefly shown with no armor at all.

As for the head, I find it funny that Icarius' unhelmeted head looks more like cartoon version Hydron than Flipshot. I've been wondering if they based the design on the wrong character by accident, lol.

Either way, since I'm new to the line and playing catch-up, any of my money that would have gone towards Hydron that month will go towards an older release. I might pick him up down the road, but I don't know. That armor is just a huge bummer. It's a sad state of affairs when the torso of the vintage NA figure looks better than the new version. I liked him when I saw the original 4H sculpt but the translation is a big fail, for me.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; December 18, 2013 at 01:34pm.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

I am a big NA fan so it is very nice to finally see Captain Hydron in MOTUC. Icarius needs his pal.
    But I have to repeat my comment from another thread:
    The bulky armor doesn't look good. I hope we can get a fixed armor at some point down the line. And the extra head without the helmet is needed too.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Good review Dan, I have to agree with your criticisms here. The main issue I have with the figure is the MASSIVE armour, It just looks stupid
    Last edited by Orko's Magic Hat; December 18, 2013 at 04:23pm.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

So pumped to get more Galactic Protectors. Bring on Darius, Mara, Sagitar, and the rest!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    I was originally stoked for this figure, but the bulky armor has reduced that to "willing to accept". I have liked the other NA figures up to now, and Hydron isn't terrible but I wish he was as good as the others. At least Slush Head will have a true foe to combat once he arrives next year.

So if you have Jan & March's figures, any chances on seeing reviews of Glimmer and/or Modulok any time soon?
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.