Thread: Batman Mask of Phantasm is 20 today

Heroic Warrior

Batman Mask of Phantasm is 20 today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eXA...mYkIDkoPYkvAIA

Just as good as B89 and TDK imo......and the intro is , wow the music
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Retro Time!

Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

That is one that would've made a great live action movie. Just love Mask of the Phantasm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

20 YEARS!!

I can't believe I actually remember going on Christmas to see this at the theater.

I remember being the only one in the whole theater.

The climax of that movie STILL gives me chills all these years later, just remembering the Joker's insane laughter as the world just explodes around him.

In my opinion, this is an absolute classic to this day.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I remember seeing this in the theater with a buddy of mine from grade school (who I'm still friends with today). It is a great movie, and was/is better than many (not all, but many) of the live action Batman films. I still have the old VHS tape somewhere and have the DVD. I'll upgrade to Blu-Ray when/if it gets released in the format. I still have the comic adaptation, too.

I just finally got the Phantasm figure within the past couple/few years at a convention. Back at the time the movie came out, I was looking for it and never did find it on the shelves. A few times over the years I had seen it on the secondary market at absurd prices that I wasn't willing to pay (especially since the sculpt isn't that great and really leaves something to be desired), often in the $50+ range. But I guess the market on it must have fallen out at some point since I finally found one for $10 in the relatively recent past.

It's too bad they didn't do much more with the Phantasm character. I know she showed up briefly in an episode of Justice League Unlimited, but that was about it as far as I know.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    20 YEARS!!

I can't believe I actually remember going on Christmas to see this at the theater.

I remember being the only one in the whole theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I remember seeing this in the theater with a buddy of mine from grade school (who I'm still friends with today). It is a great movie, and was/is better than many (not all, but many) of the live action Batman films. I still have the old VHS tape somewhere and have the DVD. I'll upgrade to Blu-Ray when/if it gets released in the format. I still have the comic adaptation, too.

I just finally got the Phantasm figure within the past couple/few years at a convention. Back at the time the movie came out, I was looking for it and never did find it on the shelves. A few times over the years I had seen it on the secondary market at absurd prices that I wasn't willing to pay (especially since the sculpt isn't that great and really leaves something to be desired), often in the $50+ range. But I guess the market on it must have fallen out at some point since I finally found one for $10 in the relatively recent past.

It's too bad they didn't do much more with the Phantasm character. I know she showed up briefly in an episode of Justice League Unlimited, but that was about it as far as I know.
    I saw this in theaters too when i was 12 years old with my mom and big brother as we all loved it! i saw it after Christmas day and became my favorite animated movie ever
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    I was also fortunate enough to have seen this masterpiece in the theater! I clearly remember seeing it with my dad, such a fantastic film. I'll have to give it another spin soon!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Warrior
    I really envy you guys who got to see it in cinema , I wish they'd re-issue it , it would be well deserved !
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Awesome Batman movie. Pity it went straight to video here.
    I still wish I would get Phantasm figure someday.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    I really envy you guys who got to see it in cinema , I wish they'd re-issue it , it would be well deserved !
    I actually saw this 3 times in the theater.

I also got to see this during a special Batman Animated "quadrilogy" screening once here in Chicago. The WB Studio Store has a special show at one of their stores, forget which one...probably Water Tower, with Dini; Burnett; Conroy; and Timm. The next day WB rented out a theater and showed B:MOTP, Subzero, The Mystery Of Batwoman, and the Superman & Batman Movie.
    Last edited by Bonehead; December 26, 2013 at 11:37pm. Reason: Whoops! Spelling!

Heroic Warrior
    Those are good too.

Who else thought Andrea Beaumont was sexy? i did when i was 12 and remembered thought she was one of the hottest toon chicks i've seen.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

A seriously underrated Batman TAS movie. Actually an underrated Batman movie period! Great performances and the most epic score imaginable from the late great Shirley Walker!

Heroic Warrior
    I remember seeing it when it came out in the theaters. My little brother went with me as well, and I think he was getting ideas for practical jokes from the film. (BTW, he didn't pull any of them on me.) I still have the VHS and the DVD of the movie, and I watch them every now and again. Especially that one scene between Phantasm and Joker.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

I remember my LCS (which is still in business to this day) was giving away tickets to this through the local Fox affiliate. I was surprised at how awesome it was, and then going to see Batman Forever a couple years later and wondering why it was so different.

One of the best Batman films ever, my top 3 moments are:

1. Batman vs the GCPD/fight at the construction site
    2. Batman vs Joker at the amusement park
    3. Batman suits up for the first time - I love Alfred's reaction:

The soundtrack is really good as well and there is both a regular version cover.jpg and an expanded version from La-La Land records cover.jpg which feature some great work from the late Shirley Walker (La-La Land have also released 2 other volumes of B;TAS music to)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I also wish Andrea would have returned but she does reappear in a few DCAU comics - Batman & Robin Annual 1 from 1996 (which reveals several plot points left unanswered from MOTP an01.jpg and then she comes back in 2003 for the Batman Adventures vol 2 issues 7 & 8 07.jpg & 08.jpg where she reappears working for Black Mask but with ulterior motives (unfortunately the series was cancelled before the plot point could be resolved)

Long live the DCAU!

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

The series had a lot of episodes that were more bad-ass than the movie, but the movie had a good number of awesome scenes. The depressing love story...i could do without.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Those are good too.

Who else thought Andrea Beaumont was sexy? i did when i was 12 and remembered thought she was one of the hottest toon chicks i've seen.
    If she didn't have the same voice as Lois Lane...hey Harry Canyon, good username choice btw.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eXA...mYkIDkoPYkvAIA

Just as good as B89 and TDK imo......and the intro is , wow the music

Well... I saw it in the theaters too... and I think If that was 20 years ago... i think I hate you a little for reminding me just how old I am....

Heroic Warrior
    I remember seeing this one in theatres, wow has been 20 years, that makes me feel old.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I remember being quite ticked off at that toy...I was trying to remain bloody spoiler-free and was anxiously looking to rent the movie. I held off seeing it after that until it came on ITV

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I also wish Andrea would have returned but she does reappear in a few DCAU comics - Batman & Robin Annual 1 from 1996 (which reveals several plot points left unanswered from MOTP, and then she comes back in 2003 for the Batman Adventures vol 2 issues 7 & 8 where she reappears working for Black Mask but with ulterior motives (unfortunately the series was cancelled before the plot point could be resolved)

JAG2045
    It is also great how Bruce Timm used JLU "Epilogue" episode to tie pretty much all DCAU series loose ends, showing an old Andrea working as hitman with a soul when Amanda Waller hired her to kill Terry McGinnis parents in order to fulfill a Batman legacy in her Bruce DNA experiment; but finally Phantasm has some second thoughts and don't do it.

I do also love Bruce putting the cowl for the first time scene as when he goes to his parents grave seeking answers on what path he should choose.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    A great movie, period, animated or not. And I would say it was better than any of the live action films. That scene where Bruce dons the mask as the main theme slowly starts in, and Alfred lets out a hushed, "My God!" was enough to send a chill up my spine. Strong characters, great actors doing the voices, a powerful story, all the elements for a film that still holds up 20 years later.

A classic, no doubt.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

While I first saw this as a child on VHS, I was lucky enough to see it in the theaters as part of a animation event in Santa Monica, CA several years ago. I'm still waiting for a blu-ray release. C'mon Warners, this is the first Batman film that Siskel and Ebert gave two thumbs up to. You can spend a bit to HD this badboy up.

(Rewatched this for the first time in forever, I forgot Siskel disses Mark Hamil's performance. Suddenly, a thousand fans clinch their fists)
    Last edited by King Gilskull; January 9, 2014 at 09:22pm.