Thread: DINO-MAN! (By my 5-year-old daughter, Teela!)

DINO-MAN! (By my 5-year-old daughter, Teela!)

116.jpg126.JPG129.jpg133.jpg

My Christmas present from Teela!
    Mom says this was ALL her... SHE decided she wanted to make Daddy a new He-Man toy, and so she designed the character with original sketch (as seen on bio/cardback), and then hit Mommy up on how to create him... which she did with some clay baking kit and paints... at the perfect size for the rest of the classics toys! AND, she decided she wanted him to have a proper bio and story, so she made that all too! I LOVE him, and think he's the best gift I could have possibly gotten! Wanted to share him here too, since I imagine many of you could certainly appreciate how cool this is!
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

Heroic Warrior
    That's pretty awesome! The best gifts come from your children.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    That's pretty awesome! The best gifts come from your children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
    That's great!
    THANKS, guys!
    Yeah, I am surprised myself at how emotional it's made me that she had the idea/desire/drive to want to do this and see it through. SHE is quite proud of herself for it, and even how it all turned out, and of course I am very proud of her (and humbly happy) as well! I showed her that I was creating this thread about it to share with other MOTU fans, and I sincerely appreciate your comments; to me, and more importantly to show her that others have commented "awesome", "great", etc.
    So on behalf of my little girl... thanks.
    (She even has now said she thinks she might like to make me a whole collection!!!! )

Ahh, I see that he rumors that Dino Man has been seen shaking hands with Teela are true!

Seriously, though, great job!
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Mermista, Peekablue
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation:Lizard Man, Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar
    Kevin,

First off, your daughter is beautiful, and she has a fantastic name!

Second, this is hands down my favorite custom I have ever seen. The bio and the package are awesome, and the figure itself is a work of art.

Finally, thank you so much for sharing this with us all. Your daughter loves her Daddy very much and this gift shows it. It brought a tear to my eye seeing this. I hope you and your family had a beautiful Christmas.
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Such an awesome character! Dino-Man for classics 2014!
    "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Evil Master of Halloween Sorcerer's Avatar
    I second that!
    "Nothing in this world is the was it should be. It's harsh, and cruel, and that's why there's us. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it could be."

This is fantastic.

That's awesome!!! but now its not MOC!!!!
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

I love it! Fantastic work-and see? She GETS it! We need a dinosaur fellow in Classics!!!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Ahh, I see that he rumors that Dino Man has been seen shaking hands with Teela are true!

Seriously, though, great job!
    lol... That really made me laugh, thanks... and, when I (sorta) explained it to Teela, she laughed too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Kevin,

First off, your daughter is beautiful, and she has a fantastic name!

Second, this is hands down my favorite custom I have ever seen. The bio and the package are awesome, and the figure itself is a work of art.

Finally, thank you so much for sharing this with us all. Your daughter loves her Daddy very much and this gift shows it. It brought a tear to my eye seeing this. I hope you and your family had a beautiful Christmas.
    THANK YOU so much for your amazingly kind words... reading your message brought a tear back to MY eye... I also read your comments to Teela, and she swelled with pride. Truly, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Such an awesome character! Dino-Man for classics 2014!
    Thanks, dude! Yeah, I'd take an "official" one, but I'LL always have the ONLY original "prototype"! lol. (Oh and, when I explained to Teela you meant he should be a character made in the toyline for everyone, she said "everybody wants a Dino-Man.") Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    This is fantastic.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    That's awesome!!! but now its not MOC!!!!
    lol... Too funny! You're right though!!!... I've de-valued it!
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I love it! Fantastic work-and see? She GETS it! We need a dinosaur fellow in Classics!!!
    Thanks man! she did do a good job, eh? And, mom says she did assess the line and say "they don't have any dinosaur guys" (and, since she loved dinosaurs anyway, this made sense!)... you're right, she gets it! lol.

darkmoon766, smanomega, and Uki... I haven't shared your comments with Teela yet, but will, and I just want to thank you (and everyone, again) for taking the time to post! All of your appreciation for this has meant a lot to me in sharing it with this community... but more importantly, it's allowed a way for my little girl to feel even better about her work and this awesome thing she did for me. THANK YOU!

Snappy Threader
    Oh that is so amazingly cute. You are a lucky Dad my friend. Such a touching story. Please tell your daughter that she did an outstanding job on her (your) figure. We would all be honored to have Dino-Man in our collections.

Thanks again, everyone... I've passed along all of your comments to Teela, and she is very happy. In fact, I have her right here with me now, and the following is what she has to say, straight and exactly from her mouth:

"Thank you for saying good things to daddy about Dino-Man. I wish you have a Happy New Year! I think I am going to make daddy a whole He-man toy collection."

Thanks again, all. Happy New Year!

Love it!!! The bio is absolutely icing on the cake.
    I am glad my 5-year-old daughter is not the only one growing up with an interest in the MOTU universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    Love it!!! The bio is absolutely icing on the cake.
    I am glad my 5-year-old daughter is not the only one growing up with an interest in the MOTU universe!
    Thanks, man!
    Yeah, I was awestruck with her wanting to make me a new He-man toy, and doing so; but I too feel the "extra mile" of creating the cardback/bio with original art to go with it was what REALLY made it extra special.

You've got a 5-year-old daughter interested, too? That's awesome! (Do you get her toys, watch the toons, read the comics, etc? Do tell.)

Teela is actually a twin, her sister being Kylie (Mom wouldn't permit me to name her "Eva Lynn")...lol... and they BOTH really enjoy everything we share concerning the world/s of He-man and She-ra. It's AWESOME! And, the '87 movie is even their favorite movie! (We've watched it like 50 times!)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Thanks, man!

Yeah, I was awestruck with her wanting to make me a new He-man toy, and doing so; but I too feel the "extra mile" of creating the cardback/bio with original art to go with it was what REALLY made it extra special.

You've got a 5-year-old daughter interested, too? That's awesome! (Do you get her toys, watch the toons, read the comics, etc? Do tell.)

Teela is actually a twin, her sister being Kylie (Mom wouldn't permit me to name her "Eva Lynn")...lol... and they BOTH really enjoy everything we share concerning the world/s of He-man and She-ra. It's AWESOME! And, the '87 movie is even their favorite movie! (We've watched it like 50 times!)
    You're welcome! And, actually, I'm a girl, but no worries!

Yes, my collecting was actually born out of getting all of my old She-Ra (and a few He-Man and Golden Girl) dolls, horses, play sets, etc. out of my closet at my mom's house. My daughter Anne Marie was so excited to play with them! (Yes, I let her play with them. Hard-core collectors, I feel you cringing! But look at it this way: I am creating a future collector! And I have to say she is much more careful than I ever was.) So of course we bought all of the DVDs, which she loves, and then she started asking for some of the figures I didn't have, like Man-at-Arms and Hordak. I also have been tracking down more of the books, since I only had a few of them in my childhood. Our shared prized possession is my original yellow She-Ra sword from the role-play set, which my mom also saved. And now I am down the rabbit hole and am even eyeing some of the MOTUC figures....

I have to say I was AMAZED at how much Anne Marie loves MOTU/She-Ra! She could say the entire intro to the She-Ra cartoon at age 3. Halloween has been all about MOTU... age 3, she was Catra, last year she was Sorceress. This year she has announced she is finally ready to be She-Ra. Should be a fun costume to make! The other kids never know who she is (outside of her friends who have gotten to play with her figures or see the cartoons) but a LOT of parents and teachers have done double takes!

Love your girls' names!!! Kylie was an excellent choice.

We have spent the last month watching the Christmas special over and over (thank goodness it's free on Amazon prime!). But I would infinitely prefer watching anything MOTU related over and over again than most of the current kids' stuff that's out there. I have not seen the '87 movie in a looooooooooooooong time - I think it is time to dust it off! My husband has enjoyed watching the original He-Man cartoon again, and he loves freaking the girls out with his Skeletor impersonation. (We also have a 2-year-old girl.) Girls' stuff is so *girly* now, it is nice for them to see something where it is not all about tea parties and sparkles.
    Last edited by Magicat; January 6, 2014 at 04:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    You're welcome! And, actually, I'm a girl, but no worries!

Yes, my collecting was actually born out of getting all of my old She-Ra (and a few He-Man and Golden Girl) dolls, horses, play sets, etc. out of my closet at my mom's house. My daughter Anne Marie was so excited to play with them! (Yes, I let her play with them. Hard-core collectors, I feel you cringing! But look at it this way: I am creating a future collector! And I have to say she is much more careful than I ever was.) So of course we bought all of the DVDs, which she loves, and then she started asking for some of the figures I didn't have, like Man-at-Arms and Hordak. I also have been tracking down more of the books, since I only had a few of them in my childhood. Our shared prized possession is my original yellow She-Ra sword from the role-play set, which my mom also saved. And now I am down the rabbit hole and am even eyeing some of the MOTUC figures....

I have to say I was AMAZED at how much Anne Marie loves MOTU/She-Ra! She could say the entire intro to the She-Ra cartoon at age 3. Halloween has been all about MOTU... age 3, she was Catra, last year she was Sorceress. This year she has announced she is finally ready to be She-Ra. Should be a fun costume to make! The other kids never know who she is (outside of her friends who have gotten to play with her figures or see the cartoons) but a LOT of parents and teachers have done double takes!

Love your girls' names!!! Kylie was an excellent choice.

We have spent the last month watching the Christmas special over and over (thank goodness it's free on Amazon prime!). But I would infinitely prefer watching anything MOTU related over and over again than most of the current kids' stuff that's out there. I have not seen the '87 movie in a looooooooooooooong time - I think it is time to dust it off! My husband has enjoyed watching the original He-Man cartoon again, and he loves freaking the girls out with his Skeletor impersonation. (We also have a 2-year-old girl.) Girls' stuff is so *girly* now, it is nice for them to see something where it is not all about tea parties and sparkles.
    Ack! Very sorry about that! (I actually thought AFTER I'd posted that "there's no reason this might not be a girl", but thought I'd leave it as is.) *sigh* Thank You, though, for correcting me.
    Loved your comments about hard-core collectors' thoughts about you letting Anne Marie play with your old stuff... to them I say OF COURSE she should be playing with it... they're toys! that's what they're for! I DO understand the collector mentality and wanting to keep things in good shape, but honestly, there is NO better way to enjoy any of this stuff than by playing with it with (your) kids! I've had fan friends cringe because I let my girls ride my bouncing battle cat, or ride my He-Man bike, or play with my Eternia (which, unfortunately Teela accidentally fell into and snapped two connectors of the track a few weeks ago... she felt HORRIBLE, but though I was bummed it got broke since it had been perfect, I was much more negatively-impacted by how bad it made her feel to have broken it.) poor thing. anyway, I couldn't imagine NOT fully sharing this passion and stuff with them... helps me appreciate and love it all that much more. I even got unopened boxes of the cliff climber, tower tools, and scubattack that we are gearing up to open together soon (SO excited because I'd never had them and it will be the last/only chance for me to get to open a NEW vintage Motu toy together with them, for the first time for all of us!!
    the Halloween costumes thing is absolutely marvelously awesome!!! yay! you should share pics! (I can say both my girls have named several characters they wanted to be over the years, but when it came down to "crunch time" at Halloween they've always gone with something else. which, of course, is ok... but I WOULD love to see them go as he-man/she-ra characters at least once! (they did go as spiderman and the mighty thor a couple years back though! LOL!)
    and yeah, I'm not really a fan of any of the current-day kids stuff either... that's why I love that I can share this older (better) stuff with them! and, I also dig that they like stuff like Motu, comics, etc... but, (as I am sure you do too), we still have our share of tea parties and sparkles! LOL!

Yes, we have some epic tea parties. Last week all of the POP girls were having a very nice ball when Hordak came and ruined it all. The party turned into a pitched battle.... It is hilarious how stuff gets all mashed up together with them.
    Yay for playing with everything! I agree wholeheartedly, they are toys, and it makes me so happy that she loves them as much as I do. The memories are going to last for their whole lives, which to me more than outweighs any cost of having to replace bits that are lost or damaged during play (although I am still hoping that the towel bar to the Crystal Falls turns up in a future room clean-up).
    It is AWESOME that you got new stuff to open with them! It is so fun for them to be a part of your interests, and I'm sure it has led to lots of interesting conversations. I think years from now you both will remember the year Teela made Dino-Man for you and how fun and exciting it was. For me the really great thing about MOTU is how much creativity it inspires, and sparking that creative impulse in your children is such a fantastic experience.
    Here are the Halloween costumes:
    Catracostume2012.jpg
    This one was Catra from 2 years ago. As you can see, she chose the Filmation version. I think she was really hoping that the mask would actually transform her into a cat...LOL! Unfortunately for her, mommy does not actually possess magical powers, just sewing skills.
    Sorceresscostume2013.jpg
    This is Sorceress from last year (little sis Katie was Kai Lan from the Ni Hao Kai Lan cartoon). We thought about doing real feathers, but she had to wear the costume all day at school, so I opted for kid-friendly lycra and then non-itchy fleece for the wings and the head piece.
    We will see about this Halloween. Anne Marie's school does not allow "weapons" with the costumes...so if she does decide to be She-Ra, the Sword of Protection will have to be left at home! I have been looking at the boards trying to decide if I am going to create a child-sized sword with a light-up jewel or let her take the yellow role-play sword out. I LOVE it that Teela and Kylie were Spidey and Thor - which was which?
    Oh, and really no worries about the girl thing. I have worked countless jobs where I was the only woman and I answer to "man," "dude," "hey you," "you guys" - pretty much anything but but "honey"!!!

THANK YOU so much for sharing the photos! Those costumes are fantastic (fabulous sewing powers!), and Anne Marie is a total cutie!
    IMG_4165.jpg
    Here's the SuperHeroes. Teela was Thor, and Kylie was Spiderman!