Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamenting the demise of our Chat Room participation

Master of New Adventures!

Lamenting the demise of our Chat Room participation

For a while it seemed the Chat Room was rocking, with lots of participants. But for some reason participation has really dropped off in the last year. As much as I love the various forums on he-man.org, I REALLY loved the Chat Room because it was an opportunity for instant and spontaneous interaction -- not just on matters MOTU but social matters with orgers as well. It felt like a sense of camaraderie existed there, and there were also a lot of laughs and mutual support. Frankly, I miss it.

I know we all have busy lives, but I think it would be fun for us to get together regularly in the Chat Room. I think part of the problem is that up until now it's been hit or miss -- i.e., we log on and if no one's there then that's that. So I'd like to suggest we set a set day and time each week -- kindly state the time zone so we have a frame of reference -- that's convenient for a group of us to get together. I'm not going to be so presumptuous as to make the suggestion about the day and time. I'd like someone else to step up and make that suggestion. But I'll try my hardest to be there.

I do think it could be fun.

Best,

Jack

I enjoyed it as well and miss the old chat room. Not really a big fan of the new one which is what made me lose interest. Well that and everytime I logged in I seemed to have just missed people. I'm down to try again as well but I too would not want to suggest a time as I have an ever changing schedule and could not commit anyway!

True it has got a bit quiet lately and I also am not a great fan of this new chatroom (it lacks the heart of the original) but me, Darth Latveria and midor can usually be found there on a somewhat daily basis with a regular guest appearance by Masamune.

In tact one topic of discussion we have had on several occaissions is just how dead the chatroom is and how we seem to be the only ones to care / keep it alive.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Lamenting the demise of our Chat Room participation...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    In fact one topic of discussion we have had on several occasions is just how dead the chatroom is
    Demise? Dead?

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I might try it someday if I have time.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

What do you think are the differences between the old chat room and the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I enjoyed it as well and miss the old chat room. Not really a big fan of the new one which is what made me lose interest. Well that and everytime I logged in I seemed to have just missed people. I'm down to try again as well but I too would not want to suggest a time as I have an ever changing schedule and could not commit anyway!

What do you think are the differences between the old chat room and the new one?
    Well I can't speak for He-Dad but I personally miss -

The nice backgrounds
    The fun sounds ("looks like we have company")
    The cuter smilies (blinding ppl by mass posting that little flashing sun was always fun)
    The wide array of font colors (I miss MY green)

And it was just generally all round more fun to chat in. This new(ish) one is just cold and boring with a yucky plain white background and a severely limited color pallet which is even more limited as most of the colors on it look damn awful and eye strain inducing on the white background.

Ever since this new one came around a lot of people have lost interest and once upon a time regulars such as Count Marzo, Sandman, Replikor and others (you all know who you are) have basically never been seen again for a LONG LONG time.

I say we dump this rubbishy new chat and get back to the much better and much more fun and lively old flash one

VIVA LA FLASH CHAT
    Last edited by wolfsfang; January 2, 2014 at 08:11pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Face down in their porridge...

Well I can't speak for He-Dad but I personally miss -

The nice backgrounds
    The fun sounds ("looks like we have company")
    The cuter smilies (blinding ppl by mass posting that little flashing sun was always fun)
    The wide array of font colors (I miss MY green)

And it was just generally all round more fun to chat in. This new(ish) one is just cold and boring with a yucky plain white background and a severely limited color pallet which is even more limited as most of the colors on it look damn awful and eye strain inducing on the white background.

Ever since this new one came around a lot of people have lost interest and once upon a time regulars such as Count Marzo, Sandman, Replikor and others (you all know who you are) have basically never been seen again for a LONG LONG time.

I say we dump this rubbishy new chat and get back to the much better and much more fun and lively old flash one

VIVA LA FLASH CHAT
    All the above and honestly the new one gets lost on me. I find myself browsing the forums and forgeting about it. On my browser it doesn't notify me reliably qhen people respond so I forget about what's going on from time to time. All around the old one was just a better user experience in my opinion. I'm suprised to hear Rep isn't in there still...didn't he pick thw new chat?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I know what the chatroom lacks. Me. I'll try to check in more often.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yeah my participation sadly plummeted when the new chatroom was implemented and the old one was no longer linked on the site. The functionality of the old one was superior, not to mention all the annoying technical problems with the new ones at the start which turned a lot of people off...

I'll try and visit now and then.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    For the regular users - is there a particular time in general during the day that there is usually some activity? I am currently redoing instructions on how to access all the chatroom's features and I could include a list of common chat times in the new thread.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

It used to start much earlier but now it is around 1am GMT (about 8pm EST for you non-brits )

I remember when it would start a good few hours before that but then I stopped coming in as early as I used to and I noticed other ppl have as well, I also leave earlier then I used to and again I have noticed other people have started to as well. Oh and every time I take a break for a few days (sometimes a week) I notice other people do as well, tho luckily they always seem to return the same day that I do....hmm I think I am sensing a pattern here

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I dont know, i think it was a combination of alot of things, but the new chat room format didnt help at all.

We use to hang out there all the time. and often. I still check in almost daily, just to say hi, or see if anyone is around. It was so much fun the past several years getting to know the guys, sandy, midor, wolfy, dL, mas, uncle montork, MGM....... There has been alot of bonding for sure.

maybe if someone came up with a schedule or something. i know it sounds lame, but sometimes if you give a ball park time, or even maybe "topic" of discussion to get the ball rolling, "tonight we will be talking about Actors for the new movie" or something random like that if its MOTU related. Just a thought.

still look forward to seeing you guys in there either way!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    All the above and honestly the new one gets lost on me. I find myself browsing the forums and forgeting about it. On my browser it doesn't notify me reliably qhen people respond so I forget about what's going on from time to time. All around the old one was just a better user experience in my opinion. I'm suprised to hear Rep isn't in there still...didn't he pick thw new chat?
    Well all I did was offer options to bossman Val after the old chatroom kept crashing out an being broken regularly.
    I still go into the chatrooms, but whenever I do it is always empty an it seems I have just missed people by an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Well all I did was offer options to bossman Val after the old chatroom kept crashing out an being broken regularly.
    I still go into the chatrooms, but whenever I do it is always empty an it seems I have just missed people by an hour or so.
    What time are you going in? And what time zone are you in? I find the chat is usually dead and everyone gone between 3 and 4 am GMT so any time after that and you are very unlikely to come across anyone

I'm happy to jump on any time someone is there. But the last five times I've logged on it's been empty. Also, one of the other good things about the old chat room was that you could tell in advance who was in it.

If so many regular users miss the old chat room and don't use the new one, is it possible for you to consider reverting to it or is is too big of a tech issue?

I really miss the fan interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    For the regular users - is there a particular time in general during the day that there is usually some activity? I am currently redoing instructions on how to access all the chatroom's features and I could include a list of common chat times in the new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    That's me too...everytime its empty and I'll see I've just missed people. ...so I stopped completely.

I just jumped in the Chat Room and nada.

Here's a suggestion for Val:

It's long been my feeling that the Chat Room is potentially one of the best features of the board. I've shared laughs there, listened to and commented on things others have been going through in their lives and in general really, REALLY enjoyed the camaraderie. While I'm not personally a collector, I even enjoy reading the impassioned posts of collectors and seeing interest in various issue surging. With James' latest ventures on the He-man channel, how cool would it be for him to make appearances in the Chat Room? And could there be a more fun chatter than Pixel Dan? I think not.

With that said, I'd like to respectfully suggest that it could be a benefit -- and could drive orgers to the Chat Room -- if you could somehow create a sticky on the Other Discussions forum that would give real time updates on how many orgers -- and maybe even who they are -- that are at any given moment in the Chat Room. Seeing this could provide impetus for others to go there. Heaven knows -- pun intended -- if Benny's there he will attract a lot of chatters.

As most know, I'm probably the most low tech guy here -- I don't go near electrical outlets because I'm afraid electricity is leaking out. But if there's a way to do this, without a huge amount of effort, I think it would be a benefit to us all.

I'll be on shortly, just been watching a movie and am posting this on a phone but will be on in a few

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Around 11pm - 1am GMT is when I find most of the regulars around. Though when I've logged onto the site at other times (more reasonable to me) like 5pm or 7pm GMT I have seen some of the guys logged in on the "Who's Online" box. Personally I think I'm just gonna invite users into the chat when I see them online. People are free to do the same with me any time they see me online here.

I think Olesker has the right idea with a schedule of sorts. Though I would maybe add that it should be more of an ad-hoc schedule and we maybe use this thread to regularly update when we think we'll be on. Plus, like I say, we should also just start using the invite feature when/if we see others who are regularly on (or anyone in particular you'd like to chat with) into the chatroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

people are in there right NOW, just to let you all know

unless of course you are reading this post much later then when it is posted, in which case there may be ppl in the chat or there may not be

Well, it's an hour and a half after your post, but I'm going to jump in. Maybe we need some kind of an alert.

EDIT: No one there are 9 CST.

people are in there right NOW, just to let you all know

unless of course you are reading this post much later then when it is posted, in which case there may be ppl in the chat or there may not be

Well, it's an hour and a half after your post, but I'm going to jump in. Maybe we need some kind of an alert.

EDIT: No one there are 9 CST.
    did you go in teh right chatroom? I was talking about the one you get to via the bar at the bottom of the screen

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Heaven knows -- pun intended -- if Benny's there he will attract a lot of chatters.
    I'd do what I do best...make the chat room into a circus.

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!