Thread: To re-touch or not to re-touch?

To re-touch or not to re-touch?

Hello. This is my first thread started in this forum, and I want to get everyone's opinion on re-touching, repainting, and recreating items on vintage MOTU figures. I have been tying to complete my collection again over the last few months, and really don't have the resources for MOC or loose mint condition figures. Most of the time I will purchase less than perfect figures with the intention of re-painting or repairing, etc. I know some people see this as a bad thing and like to keep everything original. As far as I'm concerned, it's OK as long as you don't try to re-sell a figure as "mint" or "original" if it is not. I like everything to look new and complete for my own personal display collection. For example, I have repainted the silver areas on Roboto and Two Bad that had turned purple over the years. Repaired some loose legs, repainted Extendar's gold hands and touched up a lot of the other figures where paint has rubbed off. Does anyone else do this? I would be interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Ive repaired lots of legs. I try to avoid painting if I can but I've had to use super glue on a few things as well. I dont resell though.

The most important thing is that you are happy with what you do! We are all different concerning our collections. Some only collect carded toys, others loose but complete and perfect, and others just for fun. You can't let others dictate what you do with your collection. I have repaired and touched up some of my figures because, like you, I have no intention of selling them. As long as you are happy, who cares?
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I've repaired tons of leg joints - that's really necessary on a lot of figures. I don't think there's anything wrong with touching up figures. I periodically touch up my vintage Ram Man's silver paint on his head. It was pristine when I bought it but of course my son loves to knock guys over with him.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I've retouched and repaired many of mine. I actually enjoy the process of restoring them. I don't intend on reselling them, so I figure that they're mine to do with as I wish!

Thanks for the input. I don't intend to ever resell my collection either, so I am actually trying to get a couple full sets. One to leave as-is and another to get to display quality, as I call it. I am in the process of getting some elastic to make a new Adam belt. Also going to attempt using some chrome tape to re-do Ram Man's wrist bands. I realize I will probably upgrade some of them eventually, but it's a fun process for now. I might post some before and after shots of stuff if anyone would be interested. I always match my paint colors exactly to the original figure, and use an airbrush to paint metallic areas. The original MOTU gold can be tricky to match.

Heroic Warrior
    i think you have the right idea. if you plan on displaying, leg repairs are almost a given (and kind of fun).

I say go for it. I retouch figures and accessories all the time. I would never be tempted to sell them though, and most collectors wouldn't pay a dime for a repainted vintage figure.

I would much rather have a well-detailed, shiny, fully poseable figure on my shelf than a dirty broken figure that can't stand on its own two legs.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.