Thread: MOTU Orcs & Goblins

Widget

MOTU Orcs & Goblins

I remember the Filmation cartoon using Orcs & Goblins as adversaries against He-man, and I remember Orcs being in at least one of the mini-comics. Any use of either group in the 200X series? And if so, any expanded background on how they relate to the other kingdoms/species on Eternia?

Hey JediChaplain,

I went ahead and moved your thread to where you would receive more responses.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

I dont think they were ever used in the 200X series in either cartoon or comic format, which is a shame since mythical beasts and species is what makes Eternia so much fun. The original series had Gnolls, goblins, trolls, manticores, dragons, golems, and more just in the minicomics. Demons were used everywhere evil was prominent. Aside from the more animal version of dragons and serpents, 200X dropped the ball big time!!
    I intent to pick up some figures from lines such as Warcraft or Everquest to enhance my Eternian figures with the mythical counterparts. I REALLY wish someone like the 4H would create a line of mythological things as a generic addition to all 5-7 in figure lines. Who wouldnt buy a well sculpted Manticore??
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    Also from the original series i remember that they had also the Kraken, flying horses, unicorns, vampire-like creatures (lord Tyran and Shokoti), werewolfes, dragon-horses (the Tactryl), giant spiders, and a Cyclops. The 200X series added the giants, the undead skeleton warriors, but yeah it had much less mythological creatures than the Filmation series and the mini comics.
    And this is also what i like about the world of Eternia and what makes it so unique and awesome. Where else you can find mythical creatures, dinosaurs, cyborgs, aliens and barbarian warriors living side by side.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Also from the original series i remember that they had also the Kraken, flying horses, unicorns, vampire-like creatures (lord Tyran and Shokoti), werewolfes, dragon-horses (the Tactryl), giant spiders, and a Cyclops. The 200X series added the giants, the undead skeleton warriors, but yeah it had much less mythological creatures than the Filmation series and the mini comics.
    And this is also what i like about the world of Eternia and what makes it so unique and awesome. Where else you can find mythical creatures, dinosaurs, cyborgs, aliens and barbarian warriors living side by side.
    Yeah - agree totally. Great range of creatures and tech. A big part of the Eternian world picture.

The skeleton warriors of MYP were a fabulous addition. Perfect as Skeletor's dark legions - and can be slaughtered in their droves without conscience.

Though, personally, I'd leave orcs to Prof. Tolkien - who invented them and does them best!
    Last edited by Fitz; February 11, 2014 at 08:56am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Yeah - agree totally. Great range of creatures and tech. A big part of the Eternian world picture.

The skeleton warriors of MYP were a fabulous addition. Perfect as Skeletor's dark legions - and can be slaughtered in their drives without conscience.

Though, personally, I'd leave orcs to Prof. Tolkien - who invented them and does them best!
    Yes prof. Tolkien knows the orcs better than anyone . But don't mind them as one of the races of Eternia but not a nattive one. Since Eternia is a crossroad of worlds and dimensions they could have arrive from another world. I remember one Filmation episode in which the goblin General Tataran told to Skeletor that his people came form the land of MER (a Middle EaRth reference perhaps?)

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    I was actually thinking this summer that 200X Spikor could be an orc. If Skeletor was trying to widen his power base against the Eternian Council and the Snake Men, orcs (I was thinking of them as swamp dwellers) would make a prime faction to join up with the Overlord of Evil. Spikor would be an orc warlord or champion who wore the legendary armor and weapons of his clans. I also had him befriending Stinkor.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    I was actually thinking this summer that 200X Spikor could be an orc. If Skeletor was trying to widen his power base against the Eternian Council and the Snake Men, orcs (I was thinking of them as swamp dwellers) would make a prime faction to join up with the Overlord of Evil. Spikor would be an orc warlord or champion who wore the legendary armor and weapons of his clans. I also had him befriending Stinkor.

Spikor fits quite well at the role of the Orc warlord (since the Orcs are also known as good blacksmiths and weapon makers). Orcs also as swamp dwellers is a good idea. Personally i immagine Subternia being their home. It's hard to believe that the Calligars are the only inhabitants of this vast realm. And really Skeletor would be able to move a huge army if he wanted to. Icer could provided him Trolls and Ice Hackers. Beastman could give him an army of Shadow Beasts, Gargoyles, Serpinataurs etc. Spikor with the Orcs. Tataran with his Goblins. Webstor, the giant spiders. Tri-klops a hi-tech army (hover robots). Mer-man, well an army of his warriors and sea monsters. And last but not less Skeletor's undead skeleton warriors.

Heroic Warrior
    To me, the concept is just fine. But please don't call them 'Orcs' since these belong only in the Middle Earth mythos.
    No reason for Eternia not to have them - but just not called Orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    To me, the concept is just fine. But please don't call them 'Orcs' since these belong only in the Middle Earth mythos.
    The thing is, they were listed as Orcs in the MOTU bible. All the mythical creatures of Eternia are named from their various origins from fable books to Greek mythology. They are what they are. I realize that they may be plagiarized a bit, but they still can fit into the mythos without any harm or foul.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Hey, at least they're closer to the Professor's intent than MotU's Morgoth or Nazgul!

Widget
    Thanks! Still trying to figure out how best to use the forums. Sorry if I placed it in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Hey JediChaplain,

I went ahead and moved your thread to where you would receive more responses.
    - - - Updated - - -

Since I was getting into Dungeons and Dragons about the same time MOTU was on TV, I found they both complimented each other a lot. Many of my early adventures were colored by some of the story lines of He-Man, and I appreciated the diverse mythos of Eternia and how it reflected some of the fantasy elements of D&D (and the fantasy literature which informed the creation of that world).

Quote Originally Posted by JediChaplain View Post
    Thanks! Still trying to figure out how best to use the forums. Sorry if I placed it in the wrong place.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I was getting into Dungeons and Dragons about the same time MOTU was on TV, I found they both complimented each other a lot. Many of my early adventures were colored by some of the story lines of He-Man, and I appreciated the diverse mythos of Eternia and how it reflected some of the fantasy elements of D&D (and the fantasy literature which informed the creation of that world).
    I am big fan of orcs and goblin from various sources and love collecting DND orc and gobbo miniatures .

It would have been awesome to see General Tataran in a "helms deep scenario " siege of the royal palace . The thing i love about magical monsters of eternia is that not only are they very unique but they actually seem to belong and evolved on that world . Thundercats third earth had a huge problem convincing me , the local fauna was indigenous .

I noted that if General Tataran was your typical size goblin then Eternian goblins are larger than Eternian orcs . Its very rare yet refreshing . I only ever noted species size reversal like that in the Might and Magic 7 RPG game.

That was a very interesting comparison about Spikor , i am surprised i did not notice but i kinda disagree about orcs being good blacksmiths . They dont make , they take . Spikor would make a good goblin or orc champion and he could equip them with decent weapons and armour . Megator the Evil Giant looks very very classic i probably pick him for "Orc / Goblin Warlord"
    Last edited by MOLKROM; February 13, 2014 at 04:04am.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Heroic Warrior
    Hey, at least they're closer to the Professor's intent than MotU's Morgoth or Nazgul!

That's very true. The MOTUC Bios (which I must confess leave me absolutely cold: I ignore them completely) are riddled with such things. I prefer the Professor!

That's very true. The MOTUC Bios (which I must confess leave me absolutely cold: I ignore them completely) are riddled with such things. I prefer the Professor!
    I was actually thinking of Filmation, which used those names for villains in "The Origin of the Sorceress" and "Darksmoke and Fire", IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JediChaplain View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Larry DiTillio was picked to work on MotU because of his experience with D&D and other fantasy roleplaying games. (He's also the writer of one of the most well-regarded adventures in RPG history, The Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu.)

I was actually thinking of Filmation, which used those names for villains in "The Origin of the Sorceress" and "Darksmoke and Fire", IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Larry DiTillio was picked to work on MotU because of his experience with D&D and other fantasy roleplaying games. (He's also the writer of one of the most well-regarded adventures in RPG history, The Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu.)
    Yep, Granamyr is from one of Larry D's role playing games!

I too love these creatures and beasts in the world of MOTU, that's my problem with 200X they didn't develop the world as richly as they could have. they did do some good stuff, but they didn't go all out like I wish they would have.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure