Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Hero and the Land of Legend"--Filmation's Take on the Powers of Grayskull?

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I do not think it is a coincidence that Laser Light Skeletor looks remarkably like the cyborg Skeletor from the New Adventures of He-Man, that the New Adventures of He-Man toy commercials were exclusively live action, or that the plot of the New Adventures of He-Man mini-comics revolved around He-Man and Skeletor battling for control of the Trifusium crystals.

It seems that Mattel salvaged a lot of different things to make New Adventures of He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not think it is a coincidence that Laser Light Skeletor looks remarkably like the cyborg Skeletor from the New Adventures of He-Man, that the New Adventures of He-Man toy commercials were exclusively live action, or that the plot of the New Adventures of He-Man mini-comics revolved around He-Man and Skeletor battling for control of the Trifusium crystals.

It seems that Mattel salvaged a lot of different things to make New Adventures of He-Man.
    Re: New Adventures Skeletor/Laser Light Skeletor:

DW: The first Skeletor of the New Adventures was designed by Mark Dicamillo, who had just become the group manager, replacing Roger Sweet, after a particularly acrimonious meeting. Mark adopted the styling from Laser Light, since it really hadn’t been seen in the US, and everybody seemed to like it.

BR: Regarding the first version of New Adventures Skeletor, there was some concept art (drawn by you) included in the Dark Horse Art of He-Man book. I assume then that Mark DiCamillo put a slight redesign together based on your Laser Light design, and then you drew up a final version?

DW: Always interesting to see something I’ve done, and completely forgot about! I would say your thoughts are pretty much what happened. We probably needed to have a consistent look to the presentation boards.
    https://battleram.wordpress.com/2018...nian-futurist/

This is an outstanding find! Looking forward to Busta posting more information on it
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    James recently read the entire booklet so go check out the information on Filmation's take.

It has some similar aspects to Mattel's Powers of Grayskull.

But at the same time Hero (Jak) from Land of Legend (1987 Filmation) is very different thing from
    He-Ro (Gray) from Powers of Grayskull (1986 Mattel) as well as the third iteration of
    He-Ro (Dare) from Son of He-Man (1996 Lou Scheimer Productions).

Also not to be confused with 1988 version of "He-Ro Son of He-Man" which Penny Dreadful covered here.
    Last edited by Jukka; June 12, 2018 at 05:34am.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    In terms of cartoons, this He-Ro Land of Legend pitch sounds the best of the bunch to me versus He-Ro: Son of He-Man pitch (1988), New Adventures of He-Man (1989), and He-Ro: Son of He-Man pitch (1996).

Hope more details can be uncovered on additional characters from the Land of Legend concept.