Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Max, Mighty Max!!

Mighty Max, Mighty Max!!

Any other Mighty Max fans out there?

I've recently gotten back into the toyline and am having a blast. While I have most of my original toys, I did reclaim a few childhood sets that I sold along the way and have since bought some new ones I never originally owned. I would love to see this line make a comeback (I think Mattel has hinted at it in an Infinite Hollywood interview) as it seems like it could still be a hit.

I've started a new segment on my site called Micro Monday where I review a Mighty Max set every Monday (I might move into some Star Wars and Aliens Micro Machines sets, too). So far I've looked at: Mighty Max Conquers the Palace of Poison and Mighty Max Challenges Lava Beast.

Thjs is such a fun line, but a tough one to collect: lots of rare sets and lots of tiny pieces. Plus, people always want to sell them in lots.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I love Mighty Max, I had the skull that revealed the mad scientist laboratory I would like to Mighty Max be revived.
    Etheria will be mine!

Friggin' loved these! In fact, I really miss the whole "tiny worlds" theme from those days. Lots of sets that opened up into little playsets for even littler figures. I've only got a couple sets, but I'd love to cover them at some point.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Funny how we always seem to have the same taste, Barbecue and Alexx. Hah. I too am a huge fan of the MM toyline and have recently started to seek them out actively. If you're interested I can post some pics of what I got so far.

Always loved the little comics on the back of the packaging as well, and the cartoon was fun.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    never had any of the toys, but I do have the whole cartoon series on dvdr
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Funny how we always seem to have the same taste, Barbecue and Alexx. Hah. I too am a huge fan of the MM toyline and have recently started to seek them out actively. If you're interested I can post some pics of what I got so far.

Always loved the little comics on the back of the packaging as well, and the cartoon was fun.
    What are they going for these days? I never went on the hunt, but I've been considering it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Didn't mind the cartoon back in the day. Not a bad voice cast either.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    What are they going for these days? I never went on the hunt, but I've been considering it.
    Most of the first series horror heads and doom zones can be had for under $15 if you look around or buy in lots. Skull Mountain and Dragon Island can be had for pretty cheap, too. The second and third series stuff can be a bit more costly, but I don't think there is any set that can't be had for less that $70 or $80 dollars lose and complete.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    They're not, as Barbecue said. The trick is finding complete sets.

Or well, more accurately, the trick is finding sets which have the right figures to them. It's a bit tricky with the Max figures because depending on the resource you look at, you can see pictures of different Maxes with the same playset. This is because the Mighty Max figures for the Doom Zones and Horror Heads (and some of the other sets) were random, with different possible poses and colors. Some later sets have unique Maxes, however, and in that case it's really important to know what you're looking for.

Anyway, I dunno if anyone was interested at all, but here's what I've gotten so far:

Magus is one of the coolest of all the Mighty Max sets since not only is he a fully unfoldable base with lots of action features and accessories, he's also a figure and articulated in his own right, which makes him more fun (IMO) than for example Skull Mountain.

Last year I had the fortune of running into a lady who had three carded Doom Zones from the third series for sale for a pittance, which netted me the Hand, Nautilus and Rattus. Being the opening sort I busted them open to fiddle with, but I will keep those lovely Bluebird cards since I love the design.

The loose figures are from the "Heroes and Villains" figure sets which were released without a playset. The original few sets only included figures taken from existing playsets, but later ones included all-new sculpted figures based on the characters' appearance in the cartoon like Skullmaster, Doom and Lava Lord. Pretty neat!

The other ones I basically all got at various flea markets and similar. I'm especially happy to have found a mint complete Fly from series 3, it's one of the coolest Doom Zones I think.

Which also means I end up with some incomplete ones now and then. If any of you guys need some extras or have any to trade, poke me.

Anyway, hope that can be of interest to some of you other Max fans.

Dang, Sand, you've got some Doom Zones that I really want!
    Particular the Hand, the Rat, and Magus

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Dang, Sand, you've got some Doom Zones that I really want!
    Particular the Hand, the Rat, and Magus
    Now that I know that you're after them I'll keep a more active look-out for ones I already have. I can't promise anything, but series 3 stuff is a lot more common over here (since it was originally a European toyline) than in the States. So we'll see... The large playsets I almost never see complete, though. I've seen so many empty shell Skull Mountains and Dragon Islands. Even saw the rare Skull Master large playset last year... of course it was empty and yellowed...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I never got into the toys, but I enjoyed the cartoon. I hope it gets a DVD release at some point.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Now that I know that you're after them I'll keep a more active look-out for ones I already have. I can't promise anything, but series 3 stuff is a lot more common over here (since it was originally a European toyline) than in the States. So we'll see... The large playsets I almost never see complete, though. I've seen so many empty shell Skull Mountains and Dragon Islands. Even saw the rare Skull Master large playset last year... of course it was empty and yellowed...
    That's interesting. The large playsets like Skull Mountain and Dragon Island and first series Doom zones are fairly easy to come by in the states.

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    That's interesting. The large playsets like Skull Mountain and Dragon Island and first series Doom zones are fairly easy to come by in the states.
    Oh we have tons of them, I just don't want to pay too much. I already have too many expensive hobbies. if you have unlimited funds you can easily buy all the wave 1 stuff on ebay.

Wow, I pretty much had all the ones that Sandman posted when I was a kid. I used to love them. Just seeing those pics has brought back a lot of memories.

Heroic Warrior
    I had some of those when i was 12 and i watched the animated show, it was awesome.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

A new Micro Monday review is up! This time, it's Mighty Max Blows Up Dino Lab!

I always wanted this second series set and finally bought it for myself a week or so ago. I'm loving it! It's great to be a big kid! I still love toys but have the income and means to buy them for myself!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Evil Spaghetti Eater Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Very nice reviews, I always liked Mighty Max toys but didn't have them as a child. I remember I drawn the sets (and the Mountain!) on paper based on the advertisment pictures, colored them, then drawn the figures, cut them and played that way! I might consider collecting them now (in plastic, this time).
    Last edited by Kobra Khan; February 17, 2014 at 08:21pm.
    Pasta la vista, baby!

It's time to rally! Let's make 2015 happen!!

Court Magician
    Great memories here.

All my Maxes kept getting sucked up the hoover...

Movie mayhem!
    I found a bunch of these in my basement over xmas break. Was surprised to find that almost all of them were complete. I figured those little pieces would have been lost over the years. Thinking of selling them.

Heroic Warrior
    Never cared for the toys but I did like the cartoon.

I have such vague memories of the cartoon, so maybe I'll have to track it down considering all of the rave reviews some of you are giving it!

It's Monday, so today's Micro Monday is Mighty Max Tangles with Lockjaw: http://www.thepicreview.com/2014/02/...gles-with.html

I love how this set pays homage to 80's slasher films! It's really quite fun and well designed. Much better than the series one Horror Heads!

EDIT: Just added a review of one of the sets of Shrunken Heads: Rat Trap and Vampyre: http://www.thepicreview.com/2014/03/...d-vampyre.html
    Last edited by Barbecue17; March 3, 2014 at 09:06am.

"We have a Ram-Man"

Another Monday, another Micro Monday. Today is one of my favorite sets ever (possibly my favorite): Mighty Max Escapes from Skull Dungeon! http://www.thepicreview.com/2014/03/...apes-from.html

"We have a Ram-Man"

This thread had me take my Might Max playsets out of the garage. I have all the normal sized ones in a big plastic container, and wow...opening them up again after all these years literally felt like a nostalgia brick to the face. I really think these were my favorite toys ever when I was little, and I honestly spent SO MUCH time with each one of them. I just loved the fact that each one provided these tiny but really detailed playsets that allowed for TONS of play value.

First one I ever got was the Doom Dragon (I think was the name?), and I spent probably a good 20 minutes this evening just looking it over again and remembering how much fun it provided.

Honest, I found myself being quite surprised by how detailed many of them were, not lessened at all my nostalgia over the years. The Snake set, the Skull Lab, The Sabretooth Cat, the Graveyard, the Gorilla...I mean, jeeze, I can only think of a few I wasn't impressed with, but then they didn't do much for me back in the day either.

I dug out the old Skull Mountain playset, and I can't think of a stronger sense of nostalgia I've ever felt than when I opened that sucker up tonight. I instantly remembered the Christmas morning when I received it. As I looked at the pieces and creatures, I could remember perfectly what was on tv, the smells of breakfast that morning, everything about that moment. No other toy has ever done that for me.

I do have to say that I wish I could get the cartoon series. I loved that show, and think it was definitely one of the better ones from the 90's. So dark sometimes, but that's why I loved it. I could really take it seriously.

Oh man..thanks for this thread guys. That was a heck of an experience again.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Man, I'm so glad to hear that!

These are such great toys and they're so much fun to rediscover!

Last week: Mighty Max Hammers Ax-Man!

This week: Brain Face and Wraptile Shrunken Heads

"We have a Ram-Man"