Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **Protected** The Frustration Venting Thread **Protected**

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar

**Protected** The Frustration Venting Thread **Protected**

PROTECTED THREAD
    permission given by Dorrmann (approved without a link to a specific thread due to the nature of the discussion)

Ok, guys. It's no secret that we are here because we love MOTUC. We are passionate about it (sometimes, to a fault). Most of us feel that it is the greatest toyline in the history of toylines. With that in mind, there are often things about the line that are very frustrating. For a reference, please see every other thread about anything. Generally, someone is not happy about something that is being done or released.

That having been said, I felt that it might be beneficial to have a place for people to vent their frustrations without the possibility of having someone with a differing viewpoint argue with you about whatever is bothering you for three pages-only to further irritate you. In my life, I have found that I often feel better just talking about whatever is bothering me, without necessarily trying to be constructive. When I was in the Navy, we had a saying: "A (expletive deleted)ing Sailor is a happy sailor".

So here it is. Cranky about something in particular? Here's the place to post about it. Feel shipping is too high? Talk about it. Unhappy that the Un Named One isn't a big, scary Snake Man? Type away.

Now please, I need to remind everyone about the rules for this board.

This type of thread will NOT be a place for personal attacks. If you don't like TG's bios, that's one thing. But there will be NO tolerance for personal attacks on the guy. Nor should there be personal attacks on fellow board members. No carry-over from other threads ("I can't believe so-and-so is saying that this reveal is good. What a nincompoop.").

This isn't a place for arguments. This isn't a place for name calling. This is a place for fans of this wonderful line to vent the frustrations they have without them turning into big arguments or discussions.

Because really-who doesn't feel better after a little venting?

ADDENDUM: One more thing. Please realize that the purpose of this thread is to keep the gripes out of other threads and to come in here and complaining about complainers is not only counter intuitive, it totally goes against the spirit of the thread.

Please keep in mind, if "the complainers" are your vent target, you have the option of putting them on 'Ignore'. The rest of us don't have such an easy solution to our issues. If other posters are ruining your experience on this forum, you have the power to change that. If you choose not to, it's your own fault.

I'll start. Every time I walk down the toy aisle, I'm irritated that Mattel isn't taking advantage of all these existing molds to churn out an awesome Imaginext MOTU line. With the age group Imaginext is targeting, you would think that these would sell themselves. It tends to show a lack of forward-thinking and brand evolution on Mattel's part.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; February 16, 2014 at 12:41am.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Widget
    Really, MOTU is dead after this line finishes. MOTU was never successfully reintroduced like Transformers, Ninja Turtles or Spider-Man. All the fans are old. When we move on so does He-Man. RIP.

My frustration is the secrecy. I donīt get why we have to wait for conventions and everything is kept so much hidden and well protected. All those affords should go into customer handling and better quality control if you ask me.

Once a prototype is done it should be presented on Mattycollector or facebook or what ever. Itīs a collectors line and the collectors should be held close and happy.

This is no game itīs money and passion and combined those two things can get pretty nasty.

But thatīs just my thought.

- - - Updated - - -

My frustration is the secrecy. I donīt get why we have to wait for conventions and everything is kept so much hidden and well protected. All those affords should go into customer handling and better quality control if you ask me.

Once a prototype is done it should be presented on Mattycollector or facebook or what ever. Itīs a collectors line and the collectors should be held close and happy.

This is no game itīs money and passion and combined those two things can get pretty nasty.

But thatīs just my thought.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    My frustrations are two: the fact that - as a latecomer - i will never get some of the earlier figures; and also the way MOTUC old-timers nyah-nyah-nyah ppl like me ('tough luck, man!). I still can't understand what kind of business model expects to produce X amount of figures, and deems the relative sales a failure if the figure does not sell in a week. None of the reissues except He Man and Skeletor sold well enough? Really? If so, where are the other reissues? Why aren't they still for sale? Im not a MOTUC nut like some others in here - I like my toys but I wouldnt die if the line dropped dead tomorrow, but I do like collecting these things very much.

I'm also frustrated by the lack of a MOTU-themed Imaginext line. The team running that brand have been doing all sorts of "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" love letters to the vintage line, so why not go all in. You'd have kids and adults buying your brand at retail, bringing name recognition back to the public consciousness. Something I learned from the Big Lots thing last year is a lot of people (aka Parents) who aren't buying the Classics line DO remember He-man.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    My simple frustration is the lady's of the line are just to damn tall

Quote Originally Posted by Zombihamma-AI View Post
    My simple frustration is the lady's of the line are just to damn tall
    Seconded. I wish they were all as tall as Shadow Weaver without her flight stand.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

They got me to buy those damn Mini Masters during SDCC....only to find out they're releasing more, but at a ******** smaller more deformed looking scale, so no complete collection for me, I don't like the new ones. If I had known this....I wouldn't have bought myself the SDCC set.

An Imaginext subline is a severely missed opportunity, they have generic ******** Dragons and Warriors, and apparently kids buy the hell out of them, yet instead of placing Masters characters in, that the parents may know and say, damn, now that's cool, let's buy a set, they waste the brand with generic BS, and overrated and overused to death DC characters (i Know DC sells to kids, but that is not the point).

The ****** way they continue to handle the Females of the line, ankles, outfits....whatever.

The lame ass excuses Ruben gives for not doing a better job, blaming it on manufacturing limitations....it's 2014 for God sake. And not to mention, the fails that are Snout and Goddess when 30 years ago Mattel seemingly knew how to make bendy plastic / rubber that doesn't rot, and did it for years with Barbie....yet Snout gets a foamy mess that dried out and cracked. And Goddess....something Hasbro does everyday Mattel can't do? Non Brittle clear plastic.... In fact the Masterpiece YOTH Prime has entire trailer made from the stuff....and guess what....not brittle. And yes, while it's not 100% clear, it is transparent not translucent plastic, there is a difference, Mattel can't seem to do it though. Translucent is opaque like Icer, transparent is clear like SDCC Orko's joints....which, while I don't mess with him, I'm surprised what little I have, he hasn't broken. And quit excusing the Fat Albert armor as well.

I may have more later, but it's all I can think of at the moment.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I love MOTUC and am very happy we are still getting it. With that said, I'm frustrated with one major thing:

Wasted opportunities by Mattel. I suppose it's impossible to have great figures/reveals all the time (maybe they are victims of their own success), but anytime we see these controversial and mostly unwanted figures like the Unnamed One (if that leak is legit), or Vykron, or the 30th anniversary flops, I feel it hurts our chances on continuing this line. Fans put up a lot of money, time, and enjoyment into these figures.

This line is the LAST chance we'll ever get so many long desired figures, I would hope Mattel wouldn't waste the opportunity by putting out subpar uncreative releases. While few and far between, each one has lowered the quality of the line, and I believe has been a reason for the drop-off in subscriptions.

We're on borrowed time, I know that. But hopefully we keep this gravy train going for another 6 years! Why not? Mattel, do your part to understand what your buyers want. Tap into your talent pool, the Four Horsemen. If you're making new characters, hand over full creative control.

I want to be wowed by new characters (like Draego-Man), not indifferent or disappointed by them. And if you're not going make new figures, then there are plenty of eras still waiting to be completed.

I'm frustrated with Mattel's antiquated ways of doing business.

1) Why are they still using Digital River? Corporate politics.

2) Why is there no MOTU at retail? In the RGD Toyguru says it would require a complete brand relaunch. Why? Put out a few Imaginext sets and see if they sell. Isn't that how Classics started? It is called collaberation and synergy within departments to add value to brands.

3) The we'll keep making them as long as you keep buying them mantra. It isn't all on the fans. Mattel plays a much larger role in the success/failure of the line than they are willing to accept.

4) Some innovation would be nice. Toyguru said it himself. They are afraid to do anything different because they are afraid they will screw it up. How on earth will you be successful with that attitude? That combined with all of the corporate hurdles they set up for themselves instill very little faith that they are capable of breathing new life into this brand.

It seems to me there are a lot of smaller companies doing more with much less. I have a son and would love to buy MOTU stuff for him. My options are figures with very limited runs that are intended for adults and custom t-shirts on the internet.

Oh and please hire writers to write stories. Another medium other than bios on cardbacks to reveal climactic plot points in the mythos would be appreciated as well. And last but not least can we have these stories actually involve the core characters in a recognizable form? Is that asking too much?
    Last edited by foots_mcgee; February 15, 2014 at 11:24am.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm frustrated about Imaginext too. They have a bunch of themes that aren't known at all and that incorporate elements of MOTU—castles, and dinosaurs, etc. If those can be launched and sell well enough, why not Masters of the Universe.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by KPhilipsen View Post
    Really, MOTU is dead after this line finishes. MOTU was never successfully reintroduced like Transformers, Ninja Turtles or Spider-Man. All the fans are old. When we move on so does He-Man. RIP.
    I think there is still a window. Right now the people buying toys for kids remember He-Man. That window is closing fast though. Once that happens, you are exactly right.

I've come to terms with alot of things so i am mostly content but there are still some frustrations.

For now I'll keep it short.

Kronis legs are way overused but the interchangeable arms are underused.

No more weapons packs, and the ones we got were overall pretty jenky. Green clawful mace over fakers magenta armor... really!

Psi-chop(sp?)...It's the only figure I cannot except as motu..worse than gwildor, trollans, and twiggets combined. (Sorry to the creator and its fans but he really is an unneeded motu figure to me)

No fuerza-t or top toys guys. Not even a poll unless you count the vote that was pretty much in favor of geldor.

Fake sellouts, combined shipping, and digital blunder!

And....Hopefully Blade gets a movie/faction sticker
    Last edited by Andy Adams; February 15, 2014 at 11:47am.
    Awesome sticker not included!™ Blade=sad!

Coming Soon: Masters of the DC Universe

Its frustrating to me all the secrecy surrounding the characters and being let down with the reveals after all the build up. It also frustrates me that there is so much crap in the toy isles bit awesome properties like Masters is being marketed online only to old folks like us. Do they not realize we have kids, neices, nephews, ect and will buy them toys? !?! Its fun hunting done vintage Masters for them but it would be nice to have a new line for them as well. Maybe an Adventures of He-man and She-ra line.

In no particular order.

(1) DR

(2) The inability to add extra figures onto subs. This was the reason I didn't sub in 2013, because I knew of a couple I would want extras on, and I knew that the savings on combined shipping would likely outweigh the extra cost of DoS prices, unfortunately it didn't work in my favor, but there was no way for me to know that.

(3) Heavy flow of too many figures at the end of the year. This revelation ruins any and all excitement for me from the SDCC reveals, and it truly makes me sick. It's been this way for about 3 years in a row with fans complaining each time, yet Mattel doesn't seem to care what-so-ever, and with this new add on sub announced for the last half of 2014, it will likely be the same this year.

(4) Too many releases in general. Mattel is trying to push as many releases as they can, likely in order to get a more complete line in a shorter time, but fans with similar or less means than myself are being rolled under the tank treads trying to keep up with this monster, and that upsets me. I am even more upset by Mattel's clear lack of concern for fans of lesser means.

(5) No DoS for certain non-sub exclusive figures. I understand Mattel wants, for many reasons, to push the subs, but eliminating certain figures from DoS is just not the right way to do it in my opinion. Make the SINGULAR sub exclusive more desirable, yet not quite Shadow Weaver status, but don't wound the fans that don't have the means to commit to subs, just so that you can wound the fans that choose not to sub.

(6) Loss of thigh cut and boot cut articulation. This irks me severely. Even though the articulation on most figures is good, they are still very stiff and limited in pose-ability. Eliminating 2 points of important articulation makes for some ridiculously rigid posing in the stances of figures who are hindered by one or God forbid both of these losses. I can't believe that the cost of production is so great that adding a boot cut to some of these female PoP figures should be out of the question.

(7) Skirt crotch vs. leotard crotch. I just can't understand what the problem is, and to be honest, at this point in the line, I can't believe anything that comes down the pipe, and that's due to lies that have been proven in the past, it is not based on a jaded collector's opinion. These skirt pieces don't look right, and they always seem to come out looking like they're made of pizza dough or something. Again, a line that is this expensive to collect, should not feel cheaply made.

(8) NA's lack of representation. For 3 1/2 years we only had 3 figures from the brand, and not a single faction leader, or even a He-man or Skeletor variant. Now, at the end of the line, fans of the series are going to walk away with a collection that feels very incomplete. I personally do very much like the concept figures, but there is no way that the fighting foe men deserve a spot more than a filled out NA roster, yet figures like them were given such a clearly better billing. I understand the road maps purpose (to get as many figures made as possible by spacing out the heavy hitters) but NA's poor representation is obviously not to accommodate that. I also understand that NA is not for everyone, but the figures in MOTUC are among the best, and have done wonders to warm many fans up to the series, and especially to the series' representation in MOTUC. Similarly, the concept characters are not for everyone either, and they do not have an established fan base. I can see no reason that fans of New Adventures should be so sidelined.

I'm frustrated about Frosta's ugly face sculpt and paint apps. I don't think I will ever get over this, and chances of the figure getting a re-release with a Filmation head are zero.

My single biggest gripe is the price. These toys are simply too expensive. And I'm not a tightwad; I've dropped nice coinage on Lazer He-Man/Skeletor, Tytus, Savage He-Man, etc.

In my opinion, these toys should retail for the same price as McFarlane's figures: in the $12-14 range. Actually, they should be even cheaper considering that MOTUC isn't as well made and Matty has very little overhead compared to a full-retail line. But $12-14 dollars is a reasonable asking price for toys of this scale and quality. $33 is not.

The lack of availability is a serious hindrance for anyone that comes into the line now or later. I mean, we're like 140 figures into the line and you're lucky if you can find the older ones on Ebay for ridiculous prices. I'm one of those old fogeys that believes that once a figure is introduced into the line, it should be re-released every few waves so that completists can have a chance to build up their collections. Chase figures and variants are what you want to keep to a limited release for hardcore collectors, not core figures.

As I mentioned before, quality has always been an issue with this line. I no longer open carded figures for display since displaying them in any type of dynamic pose is at best a temporary achievement. I've been startled awake by more MOTUC figures falling off my shelf and going bump in the night than a kid with a boogyman living in his closet.

Without venturing too far into "personal attack" territory; I find the actions and behavior of this line's brand manager offensive and condescending. Never have I seen this type of interaction between a corporate "face"* and his customer base; I own my own business and if I interacted with my customers in such a manner I would be bankrupt within six months. I realize that the job is probably extremely stressful and that in no way can one man hope to please everyone- - especially with a fanbase as large and as varied as MOTU fans. But there is absolutely no reason for rudeness and off-standing verbal bouts against critical fans in general and members of He-Man.org in particular.

I was deeply offended by the line manager's remark that the members of He-Man.org are not representative of MOTU fandom and that the "complainers" are really just a small handful of a vocal minority belonging to this board. (Hence my signature, which I doubt I will ever change until we ultimately receive an apology or the line implodes- whichever comes first.)

The problems with the website and Digital River are no longer problems that I experience since I will happily pay an extra few dollars to order from BBTS or from a private seller just so I do not have to deal with what can only be described as the crappiest online retail experience I've ever had. I may end up paying about $40 a figure at the end of the day, but at least I know that I'll actually receive my figure and not be double or triple charged on my credit card. And if I ever have to call BBTS about a particular problem (which is hardly ever), the operators speak fluent English and answer my questions directly instead of having to play the "let me transfer you to four other people who know even less than I do" game with men and women who can not understand my slow, deliberately concise diction because English is their third or fourth language.

I dislike the fact that I'm considered a "second class fan" for not subscribing to this line and cherrypicking only the one or two figures a year that I want. There seems to be an "elitist" mindset by some members of this forum that breaks down to "if you don't buy every single thing that Matty makes in this line and love it despite its flaws, then you're killing teh lein and we won't have any toys in the future. It's all yer fault!" I'm sorry I don't want She-Ra and her broken horsey; so give me a break and stop rolling your eyes because I've "only" ordered concept/prototype figures for the last couple of years.

There are many, many other minor, trivial things that irk me about this line, but at the end of the day I'm satisfied knowing that I can look at my walls and count my lucky stars that I own every single figure, vehicle, playset and accessory from the original MOTU line and it was nowhere near as difficult as trying to attempt to begin piecing together the Classics line.

*Speaking of face, anybody notice that Toyguru's pic is the largest one on Matty's home page- eclipsing even He-Man's mug? I don't know if that's tragedy or comedy- I laugh out loud, but I'm crying inside.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

My three biggest complaints:

1. The fans and the narcissistic and entitled attitude many people take.
    2. The lack of combined shipping. It makes no sense. I would easily buy more if not for the shipping issues.
    3. Character selection. Not what most people would say, but I want never before released figured and could not care less if the vintage figures are finished. Give me prototypes, son of He-Man, new mini comics characters, old ones, other media.
    Last edited by evenflow; February 15, 2014 at 04:16pm.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I see a lot of people getting mad at Scott on the forums, he is not the problem. The problem is much bigger and predates him. Mattel corporate is clueless when it comes to MOTU. I wish they would sell it to someone who would give it a retail push. If you don't get kids involved the brand will fade away in time, much like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. When Scott was asked about a MOTU version of Skylanders, he said maybe in a movie year? So Mattel's strategy is to sit on their hands and wait for Sony? I don't recall Skylanders having a movie, a TV show, or parents that grew up on the product, and yet it exists. I get that they are a bit gun shy after 200x, but they should learn from it, and not make the same mistakes. The Classics line overall, has been great, why not try releasing some of it's key figures in retail? Please just do something, it's a joke that the other two big properties of the 80's are doing so well, while all we have is an adult collector line and a comic that seems to be ashamed of the source material.
    Last edited by Zodak's new shoes; February 15, 2014 at 04:23pm.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Well DR is below awful. We know this & it isn't going to change.
    Why is it so HARD to be able to combine shipping?
    Shipping is over the top too. My shipping isn't bad but I've seen posts on peoples shipping costs & it's out of control.
    IMO give NA fans their sub. B/C NA figures are the absolute worst. They deserve no part in my MOTU world/collection. Do the 4H make them look like a good figure? Sure I guess. Figures is the key word b/c they're not great MOTU figures.
    And for me make EVERY SINGLE FIGURE AVAILABLE for the MOTU Subscriber. Yes this includes Chase & Convention figures. Just email the subscribers a promo code for 1 figure during a certain period of time.

I am frustrated that we haven't got 200x Evilseed or Prahvus yet...Actually there are like 12 MYP cartoon characters I want. More than any other faction.

Loose ankles. All that articulation is worthless on a figure that can't stand. I'll take a figure with 200X articulation over any MOTUC figure with floppy ankles.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I have two major beefs

Firstly, the awful bulky armour that makes figures look fat and bad to pose in a neutral position with their arms by their side. Really has ruined some figures for me which otherwise should have been really good.

Secondly, I want more NA! They are such awesome designs yet get so little love or attention even though the 4H knock the sculpts out of the park.

I really would like to see a better online experience, shipping costs not being inflated, and better quality.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I wish I could buy the sub and just let everything show up at my door - have the sub be ALL INCLUSIVE! but as it is, I would miss out on traveling convention exclusives, SDCC exclusives, spirit of hordak type figures, vehicles, playsets, holiday items, weapons paks...