View Poll Results: who should we redesign next?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • triclops

10 23.81%
  • man-at-arms

9 21.43%
  • battle cat

6 14.29%
  • panthor

2 4.76%
  • whiplash

5 11.90%
  • mekanek

10 23.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redesign #108: Kay-La from He-Ro Son Of He-Man

Movie mayhem!

Redesign #108: Kay-La from He-Ro Son Of He-Man

WELCOME ONE & ALL TO THE 108TH REDESIGN CHALLENGE !

I am proud to host a design challenge for a character from Son of He-man concept:

KAY-LA

This should be fun!

So, without any further ado, let redesign challenge #107 begin!!

RULES:

- You MUST make a unique change to the original appearance of the character in some way. This is a redesign challenge after all!

- All artists who choose to participate will have 1.5 months to come up with a redesign for this character.

-You can use ANY medium you wish! You can sketch, paint, make a 3-D model,
    render a sprite, create a custom action figure, whatever you want. Its entirely up to you!
    *Hero-machine entries are game!

-You don't have to force yourself to make your design conform to the new OR OLD cartoon & comic book's style.
    Be as drastic in your redesign as you see fit. Whatever makes you happy! All that is required is that you add something ALL-NEW to the character's appearance, however big or small.

-If you can't think of a new design, or just hate the idea of working on this character,
    you do not have to feel obligated to participate in this particular challenge.
    You will still be free to participate in any future challenges you wish.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS April 10TH!!!

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by Patreek; February 26, 2014 at 11:59am.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Redesign #108: Kay-La from He-Ro Son Of He-Man
    So? no pics of her or anything?

Is this a new thing where we have to do our homework and find out what they look like by ourselves?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Here you go; reference pics:

herobiblepage28.jpg

herobiblepage37.jpg
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Movie mayhem!
    Just working on the thread. It was a place holder

Yes! Been waiting for this one.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    can you put up a bio to help some of us.

Movie mayhem!
    Here is a picture of her bio.from the bible
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I could'nt resist to fit kayla's dad in the picture too. So if we mix and match old bible and 200X versions, Kayla is like half-sister of Teela? Battle-Fist seems quite a stud. Kayla got now her haircolor from dad, not from mother's side.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Edit: cut her hair to short and added some more armor. She's after all more warrior and less model.
    Last edited by Monikasvo; February 27, 2014 at 12:34pm. Reason: Improved picture
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Here you go

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Wolf, your redesign looks like a very stern royal guard. I love it.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Wolf, I'm really loving that design. Here is mine so far. I need to clean this up a bit but not sure if/when I'll get the chance.

kay-la v2 color 1.jpg

(BTW that is a laser pistol on her right thigh)
    Last edited by Ihvthpwr; February 28, 2014 at 11:34am.

Check out my DA gallery: http://isterold.deviantart.com/

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Im liking this one.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Heroic Warrior
    I'm really liking this redesign of Kay-La by Micro-Man. The way he used Clamp Champ's armor for the costume detail is nice. She could be his niece or daughter either way this version of her looks great to me and adds to the story. Here is a link to her Support Thread http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Support-Thread

Quote from Micro-Man:
    "The original series bible showed her with pale skin, white hair, and described her as Man-at-Arms' niece. I liked the sketch and overall design but felt her color scheme didn't quite work, so I played with the idea of her still being related to Man-at-Arms...But this time MAA being Clamp Champ! As I reworked the costume details, I was kinda surprised at how similar her armor design was to his. I felt that giving her dark skin would bring out a nicer contrast in her color scheme. I showed this new design to RenRa, who usually prefers creating new characters, and she liked how Kay-La came out. So Kay-La, whom I feel is an essential part of the SoHM era, will still be around to help Dare!"

kaylaredesign01x.jpg
    Last edited by Jedi_Kunle; March 6, 2014 at 11:46pm.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Kunle View Post
    I'm really liking this redesign of Kay-La by Micro-Man. The way he used Clamp Champ's armor for the costume detail is nice. She could be his niece or daughter either way this version of her looks great to me and adds to the story. Here is a link to her Support Thread http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Support-Thread

Quote from Micro-Man:
    "The original series bible showed her with pale skin, white hair, and described her as Man-at-Arms' niece. I liked the sketch and overall design but felt her color scheme didn't quite work, so I played with the idea of her still being related to Man-at-Arms...But this time MAA being Clamp Champ! As I reworked the costume details, I was kinda surprised at how similar her armor design was to his. I felt that giving her dark skin would bring out a nicer contrast in her color scheme. I showed this new design to RenRa, who usually prefers creating new characters, and she liked how Kay-La came out. So Kay-La, whom I feel is an essential part of the SoHM era, will still be around to help Dare!"

kaylaredesign01x.jpg
    very interesting take on it! and a great way to tie in everything (MAA 3.0) very cool.

KayLa.jpg

here is my sketch, it probably wont get done, but the concept is, she is Fisto's daughter, and took up the tradition of her father in the form of mounting his giant fist on the end of a staff, and using it as a weapon. I added some fisto details to her, and would probably color her a bit more like him.

Heroic Warrior
    Very cool TechTrek can't wait to see her when she is done

Very nice so far. wolfsfang's is my favorite right now.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Kunle View Post
    Thanks for remembering about my Kay-La redesign, Jedi Kunle! I was looking forward to this challenge for a while and am currently working on a new Kay-La illustration for this. I started coloring it today and hope to have the final version done within a week. For now, here's the recently scanned lineart...

Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Step 1
     photo CAM00674_zps83b5900b.jpg

Everyone's designs are looking great so far! Makes me want to redo mine...

...again...

Check out my DA gallery: http://isterold.deviantart.com/

Ok, here's the final version of my Kay-La submission...

As mentioned before, I modeled my version of Kay-La after Clamp Champ instead of Duncan. In my SoHM Canon, Clamp Champ is the new Man-at-Arms. Kay-La, eager to prove her skills as a fighter and become a part of the Royal Guard, is entrusted to protect Dare, as well as train him. At first, she is reluctant to be a "glorified babysitter" but she eventually becomes good friends with the young prince, as well as a trusted battle companion to Eternia's new protector, He-Ro!

I may do a last-minute tweak (Not entirely happy with her hair), but I don't think I'll have any more time to work on this, so I wanted to make sure I turned this in before the deadline...I hope you like it!
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I should get off my arse and do this. Its been ages since I've entered one of these. How long have we got?
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Movie mayhem!
    April 10th
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    WOW... All of these look great hope to see more entries. I'm liking what you done with her Micro-Man, great job.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    Ok, here's the final version of my Kay-La submission...

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3cab0d01.jpg

As mentioned before, I modeled my version of Kay-La after Clamp Champ instead of Duncan. In my SoHM Canon, Clamp Champ is the new Man-at-Arms. Kay-La, eager to prove her skills as a fighter and become a part of the Royal Guard, is entrusted to protect Dare, as well as train him. At first, she is reluctant to be a "glorified babysitter" but she eventually becomes good friends with the young prince, as well as a trusted battle companion to Eternia's new protector, He-Ro!

I may do a last-minute tweak (Not entirely happy with her hair), but I don't think I'll have any more time to work on this, so I wanted to make sure I turned this in before the deadline...I hope you like it!
    I really dig this one! It's different and really well done! And it's cool that's she's linked to Clamp Champ, one of my favorites! Good work!

My Entry for Kay-La:

I took inspiration from the NA era where the new Son of He-Man storyline takes place and thatīs why i gave her a space background. I took her original leotard and changed it into a space catsuit and chose to use more of the magenta on her outfit since there is a lot of blue going on already in NA(the "new" Dare design shows him with his fathers blue tights, Sir Laserlot is a lot of blue, Clamp Champs outfit is blue....)

I decided to change her blade into an energy blade similar to He-Mans NA power sword.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither