Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All-New All-Different Marvel Comics

All-New All-Different Marvel Comics

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/marve...V0ZWxpOG9lcSJ9

Anyone else excited about this? I just recently really got back into comics and was pleasantly surprised by how many good books Marvel is putting out. I've been pretty much all-in with Secret Wars and have been enjoying it a lot. The Avengers run leading up to it has been interesting, as has Thor, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel and Superior Iron Man.

I think the way they are moving forward with new characters and legacy characters has been great. The new Captain America and Thor are great concepts. Things just feel more fresh and alive then they have in a long time. I like that they respect the past while still moving forward. I am hopeful Spider-Gwen is moving into our universe with this as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

I've been reading Spider-Gwen and Captain Marvel and have been really enjoying those. Just read A-force and that seems cool, and want to start reading Ms. Marvel.

If i wanted to start reading secret wars, where do I begin?

You look pretty pumped for somebody without a pulse

Break a leg, break 'em both

Don't Cleopatronize me

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Marvel I cared about is dead. I might as well collect back issues of the familiar Marvel Universe like Benny does.

Steve Rogers is an old man. Thor is no longer worthy. There are teenage versions of the original X-Men running around. The X-Men are split-up. Cyclops is a terrorist.

I'm not digging the legacy characters. How many Spider-Man-like characters does Marvel need running around New York? How many Hulks? How many Thors? Falcon gave up his own identity to be a Cap clone. Carol gave up her own lightning bolt for Mar-Vell's star.

Don't change the old characters, make all-new original characters. Kamala Khan is a good idea. I wouldn't have changed up Captain Marvel or Spider-Woman. I would have kept their iconic looks.

As far as the comics going the seasons route, they might as well. We are getting new #1's all the time.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post

If i wanted to start reading secret wars, where do I begin?
    Honestly, if you just follow the main series, you're probably okay. The first issue is a tiny bit rough to read, I think, if you haven't followed the Avengers run leading up to it. I mean, they catch you up with what's going on but it's a lot of info thrown at you. But stick with it, by the second issue they really set up what's going on in the series and it's relatively more straight forward. I've been getting EVERYTHING (been an expensive month!) but I've only read the first week or so of issues so far. I'm looking forward to diving into more. Of the first week of titles, I'd say A-Force and Master of Kung-Fu were my favorites in the first wave. Though Planet Hulk is a close second. I wrote about them in more depth here: http://jonwesleyhuff.tumblr.com/post...dition-5-21-15

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Marvel I cared about is dead. I might as well collect back issues of the familiar Marvel Universe like Benny does.
    Have you tried reading any of the new stuff, though? I just wondered if there's a chance you'd come to care for the newbies, too?

I get that people like their heroes. I do to. I love Tony as Iron Man, Steve as Cap. But we've had them that way for so long. And, I imagine, there will be a time when it resets. But the STORIES are so good right now. Thor is so fantastic! It's a very good concept that's been executed so well. There's only one Thor, btw. Up until Secret Wars when you have the Thor Corps. But I don't think that'll last past the Battleworld set-up. The whole point is that the new Thor isn't Thor Girl or Lady Thor. She's Thor.

The thing that turned me off of comics was that the stories just became recycling of what came before over and over. Or people tried to bend characters personalities to suit whatever story they like. Even if some of the legacy characters aren't permanent and we see Steve or the male Thor or whoever step back into their old role, then it'll be a fun trip while we get there. That's how I felt about Brubaker's amazing Cap run when Bucky took over for a while.

And I'd say the change of Carol from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel was amazing. It set her up in a place of more prominence. Plus, it allowed a new character to take the mantle.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Have you tried reading any of the new stuff, though? I just wondered if there's a chance you'd come to care for the newbies, too?

I get that people like their heroes. I do to. I love Tony as Iron Man, Steve as Cap. But we've had them that way for so long. And, I imagine, there will be a time when it resets. But the STORIES are so good right now. Thor is so fantastic! It's a very good concept that's been executed so well. There's only one Thor, btw. Up until Secret Wars when you have the Thor Corps. But I don't think that'll last past the Battleworld set-up. The whole point is that the new Thor isn't Thor Girl or Lady Thor. She's Thor.
    I don't hate the new characters, I just think that alot of them are redundant or change for change's sake. It's like the Dare arguments on the main forum. Jane Thor might as well be Beta-Ray Bill or Eric Masterson. Eric Masterson replaced Thor before when he was a prisoner of Mephisto. When Thor reclaims his mantle, then Jane becomes redundant because we already have Thor Girl somewhere. I'm not a fan of legacy characters, unless the original is long gone and someone has replaced him (Wally West).

The thing that turned me off of comics was that the stories just became recycling of what came before over and over. Or people tried to bend characters personalities to suit whatever story they like. Even if some of the legacy characters aren't permanent and we see Steve or the male Thor or whoever step back into their old role, then it'll be a fun trip while we get there. That's how I felt about Brubaker's amazing Cap run when Bucky took over for a while.
    I liked Marvel the way it was. Some of it got tiresome, but it's the job of the writers and editors have to find creative new ways to tell Spider-Man vs The Rhino to fans who are steeped in deep continuity. Some of this stuff seems like change for change's sake. Editors ignoring continuity and bending characters to fit whatever editorial mandate of the month.

And I'd say the change of Carol from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel was amazing. It set her up in a place of more prominence. Plus, it allowed a new character to take the mantle.
    I like the promotion to Captain Marvel, but I HATE the new costume. I'd rather Marvel made someone entirely new from scratch than change someone's 30 year look up to appeal to fans who never supported or cared about her back then. Where were these fans during her own series around Civil War? Mighty Avengers?

The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I guess the thing is the Thor and Captain Marvel series are seeing some of the best sales ever. So what they are doing is striking a chord with the readership. I like stories that move forward. Even if they end up resetting. I feel like as long as the stories are good, no reason not to do it. And if it keeps the characters fresh and makes people appreciate the originals when they come back even better.

I like the promotion to Captain Marvel, but I HATE the new costume. I'd rather Marvel made someone entirely new from scratch than change someone's 30 year look up to appeal to fans who never supported or cared about her back then. Where were these fans during her own series around Civil War? Mighty Avengers?
    Doesn't the fact that the fans were not around for her previous series tell you something? They took a character that was struggling, made some changes and now she isn't struggling. Heck, she's likely going to get her own movie now.

Seems like they handled that one right.

Anyone else excited about this?
    Nope. It looks horrible.

I was really hoping this rumored reboot would be a great way for Marvel to clean up the mess they've made over the last 10 years but it looks like the same.

As bad as the DC52 was, at least they somewhat respected the previous incarnations of the characters and didn't just replace them with inferior versions.

The new Captain America and Thor are great concepts.
    That's a matter of opinion. I'd say they're garbage. From what I've seen, the response has been 50/50 at best. In reality theses "concepts" are being done for "politically correct" reasons and nothing more.

Steve Rogers is an old man. Thor is no longer worthy. There are teenage versions of the original X-Men running around. The X-Men are split-up. Cyclops is a terrorist.

I'm not digging the legacy characters. How many Spider-Man-like characters does Marvel need running around New York? How many Hulks? How many Thors? Falcon gave up his own identity to be a Cap clone. Carol gave up her own lightning bolt for Mar-Vell's star.

Don't change the old characters, make all-new original characters. Kamala Khan is a good idea. I wouldn't have changed up Captain Marvel or Spider-Woman. I would have kept their iconic looks.

As far as the comics going the seasons route, they might as well. We are getting new #1's all the time.

I'm with you MGM.

My only saving grace as far as Marvel goes is the MCU, back issues, an the cartoons...even though they currently aren't very good.

How many Spider-Man-like characters does Marvel need running around New York? How many Hulks? How many Thors? Falcon gave up his own identity to be a Cap clone.
    Very good point! I don't understand the need to have so many similar characters. Every time Marvel introduces another "spider character" it just dilutes Peter Parker and makes him more irrelevant and less unique. Same thing with Hulk and the other "hulk clones." Is everyone at Marvel really so lazy that we can't get unique ideas and new characters? It's not good writing....it's called being lazy.

I read the first 6 issues of FemThor and thought it was mediocre at best. IMO it wasn't even as good as Thunderstrike, as far as Thor books go.

The Avengers books have been awful since A vs.XM. They weren't "great" before but they've been on a downward spiral ever since. FalconCap hasn't done anything to "help" Sam Wilson. He's still the same character, he's just holding a shield now too.

I'm just glad I don't actually have to buy these books and waste money on them to read them.

I get that people like their heroes. I do to. I love Tony as Iron Man, Steve as Cap. But we've had them that way for so long. And, I imagine, there will be a time when it resets. But the STORIES are so good right now.
    That's debatable. On the comic book boards I frequent, the negative responses towards Marvel and their "new direction"outweighs the positive by a large number. People are fed up with the inferior product and getting rid of classic characters is not a good thing to do.

The whole point is that the new Thor isn't Thor Girl or Lady Thor. She's Thor.
    And that's the problem. She's not "Thor." Thor isn't just the person who wields Mjolnir, Thor is Odin's son. Nothing can be said to dispute that. Wielding the hammer gives you the powers of Thor but that doesn't mean that character "is" Thor.

This didn't bother me either. Unlike FemThor or FalconCap, it didn't "ruin" Carol one bit. Carol is still around and still relevant unlike Steve and THOR.

I guess the thing is the Thor and Captain Marvel series are seeing some of the best sales ever.

Thor is also loosing sales at a record pace. Although this image is a bit old, the current numbers are even worse.

You don't need fancy revamps and new incarnations of old characters to increase sales and bring in new readers. You just have to put out quality books that aren't part of a massive 20 part crossover every other month. Like I said earlier, this just reeks of pure laziness on Marvel's part. It's a publicity gimmick to the extreme. In 10 years, people will look back at this as another low point in Marvel's history and it'll be hated even more than the extreme 90's.

I apologize in advance if this offended anyone. It's just a passionate subject to me.

So here's the current problem with Marvel and DC comics, it takes a writer 6 issues to tell a story, often that realistically could have been told in half that number of issues (some writers are better than others obviously). And every 2 years we have some reboot. So your typical comic book is telling 4 stories before drastic changes happen.

To me changing the person behind the mask really only gives you an excuse for why they react or say things differently when they encounter Doctor Villain this time.

I also for some time have figured any 'sales are up' statements are anecdotal, and the real meaning is I know more people buying the book but I don't know if other people dropped it or stopped carrying. Which some of that goes back to the first thing I said, right about the time people get attached to the characters they change.

I mean they say it's declining sales is why they keep making these changes, but readers are getting tired of 'This will be the last big crossover for awhile,' 'This change is permanent,' 'Sales are up for Titles X, Y, and Z (don't look at the numbers please), 'It's not a reboot, we don't want to lose our older fans so we are keeping certain things around.'

It's always going to be difficult to get newer readers when you have so much history. You are never going to get people to read who let's be honest don't really want to read superhero comics. Internet activity isn't really a good source of information considering most forums have a bias to them. Side note to that reviews tend to be extremely positive in fear of killing a comic even if it really isn't that good, or negative just for the sake of being negative I personally can't stand reading most online comic reviews. Gimmicks only work short term. Average Joe wants the movie versions, you might want to make a line based on the movie versions have it work out with the movies. (DC's case TV shows) and let it be in universe and canon. Editor's stop stretching stories, sometimes the best story is brief.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

They need to make Falcon back into Falcon, Cap young again and make Thor male. I prefer frog Thor to FemThor

This looks ok, but it bothers me that characters like Spidey -Gwen and others that came from other universes will now lose the uniqueness they had before.
    For example, Gwen had the potential to fight other (fresh) iterations of spidey villians in her universe but now she could be relegated to fighting classic villians instead. I think DC is doing the right thing and opening the multiverse back up whereas Marvel is squishing everyone together which IMO is a baaaad idea
    Last edited by He-Kal; June 4, 2015 at 09:11pm.

Meh.... It ****** me off that they are erasing X-Men and Fantastic Four characters from vintage designs so I have no interest in supporting this new stuff.
    PCS Filmation Collection:

Hoooooo boy. Well, I'll have fun reading my comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Thor is also loosing sales at a record pace. Although this image is a bit old, the current numbers are even worse.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psm9dvqlk3.jpg

Not sure about this one. I mean, it's fun to manipulate numbers. LOL. Every title undergoes a drop off after the first issue. That really doesn't tell you anything. You also need to pay attention to the overall chart position, because that adjusts for a downward comics market.

The Current Thor series:

Jan 2015 - #8 Position - 69,497
    Feb 2015 - #11 Position - 69,513
    Mar 2015 - #11 Position - 70,569
    April 2015 - #16 Position (Convergence specials pushed it down) - 71,372

So sales have been INCREASING with each issue. The last series, Thor: God of Thunder ened its run at 53,047 at number 43. So, yeah. Sales are up.

Here's another new image with more characters. As a reader of these stories, I'm getting even more excited. Some cool stuff here, too:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JonWes; June 5, 2015 at 12:29am.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Doesn't the fact that the fans were not around for her previous series tell you something? They took a character that was struggling, made some changes and now she isn't struggling. Heck, she's likely going to get her own movie now.

Seems like they handled that one right.
    I'm not sure whether or not Captain Marvel's success is due to Marvel pushing her super hard (like the Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy) or her book is like #5 every month.

I was questioning if Captain Marvel had to be Carol Danvers to reach that success, instead of an all-new character.

Regardless, although successful, the direction of the character doesn't work for me.

The Blonde Teela Thread

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    So here's the current problem with Marvel and DC comics, it takes a writer 6 issues to tell a story, often that realistically could have been told in half that number of issues (some writers are better than others obviously). And every 2 years we have some reboot. So your typical comic book is telling 4 stories before drastic changes happen.
    For me, this hits at the heart of why I've essentially given up on Marvel comics (and I've always been a Marvel over DC guy, so....) . It seems like Marvel embraced this huge paradigm shift in the late 90's/early 00's where they just decided that they didn't give two craps about continuity at any level, large or small. I don't think I realized just how important of a concept that was to me in comics until they started to completely disregard it.

I remember around this time period, it seemed like they'd change the creative team on X-Men every few months. The X-Men have always had a revolving door of team members, but during this time they'd just completely re-do the entire roster (for no good reason really) for each new writer. There was no sense of flow from one storyline to the next and these changes where jarring and made the comics hard to read. After a while of that, it started to feel like all these little storylines were some sort of anthology series with no connection at all. The notion that there was a binding through line for all of this just started seeming preposterous. In following the general goings on over the years after I stopped reading, it seems like it's only gotten worse.

And then there was Spider-Man and OMD. Sins of the Past was bad enough, but OMD was the ultimate F-U to continuity and the final straw for me. It's one thing to come up with some cheesy way for the story you want to tell to fit your continuity (which comics do all the time), but it's something else entirely to come up with some cheesy way to make your continuity fit with the story you want to tell.

For me, it was Marvel that made a deal with the comic book devil. They reached a point where they were willing to sacrifice anything for what they wanted to do in the moment. Characters, teams, narrative direction, long term status quo, decades of history, universes--didn't matter: they would burn any and all of them to the ground for one few-month story line. Of course, when you're constantly willing to destroy any and everything, the reader slowly starts to realize that nothing is really all that important.

Spider-Gwen has been the first Marvel book I've read since OMD. I've been able to enjoy it mainly because it exists unto itself in its own universe (well, after it's initial introduction anyway). If they monkey with that in any way, I'm done. I like the book, but it's not THAT good.

So yeah, until Disney buys out Hasbro and Nickelodeon, make mine IDW.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; June 5, 2015 at 11:24am.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    This looks ok, but it bothers me that characters like Spidey -Gwen and others that came from other universes will now lose the uniqueness they had before.
    For example, Gwen had the potential to fight other (fresh) iterations of spidey villians in her universe but now she could be relegated to fighting classic villians instead. I think DC is doing the right thing and opening the multiverse back up whereas Marvel is squishing everyone together which IMO is a baaaad idea
    I wish Marvel would make a "classic" universe for the older fans. Like an imprint that's like a "Best of" 70-90's Marvel, where things stay classic and familiar.

Then have a universe for the younger fans, where they can go buck wild and do all types of crazy things.

The Blonde Teela Thread

I wish Marvel would make a "classic" universe for the older fans. Like an imprint that's like a "Best of" 70-90's Marvel, where things stay classic and familiar.

Then have a universe for the younger fans, where they can go buck wild and do all types of crazy things.
    They try to do that all the time with X-Men.

John Byrne's The Hidden Years.
    Claremont's X-Men Forever.
    X-Men First Class.
    X-Men '92 just came out last week.

I never read Marvel Comics until recently, beyond the odd Spider-Man or Cap issue someone would mistakenly pick up, knowing I loved comics but not aware that I was always a DC guy. (I won't get into my admittedly undecided stance on what DC has been doing since Flashpoint, but suffice it to say that there is not one book from them in my pull-list.)

Things I am reading now include the (IMO) stellar TMNT series put out by IDW and everything Marvel is throwing at us...with the Star Wars label. I'm not actually reading any superheroes at the moment.

(I have picked up everything in the MOTU: Eternity War series so far, and I'm willing to give that another shot.)

All that said, I am interested to read what everyone has to say about the main publishers' current shake-ups.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

X-Men First Class.
    I have them all too. Except X-Men 92'. That read a little too silly, going from the preview.

I'm not talking about a mini-series, but an ongoing line that is catered to the old crowd who doesn't like the radical direction that the new stuff takes. If you want to pick up a title where Spidey is Peter Parker and fighting classic Electro, making him late for a date or a Daily Bugle staff meeting. Or Avengers and X-Men titles that don't have every hero/mutant ever joining the team.

(Good grief, I must sound like such a dinosaur...)

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I never read Marvel Comics until recently, beyond the odd Spider-Man or Cap issue someone would mistakenly pick up, knowing I loved comics but not aware that I was always a DC guy. (I won't get into my admittedly undecided stance on what DC has been doing since Flashpoint, but suffice it to say that there is not one book from them in my pull-list.)

Things I am reading now include the (IMO) stellar TMNT series put out by IDW and everything Marvel is throwing at us...with the Star Wars label. I'm not actually reading any superheroes at the moment.

(I have picked up everything in the MOTU: Eternity War series so far, and I'm willing to give that another shot.)

All that said, I am interested to read what everyone has to say about the main publishers' current shake-ups.
    The only Marvel books I read now are the Star Wars titles. And I grew up as a hardcore Marvel guy. I used to read Claremont's new Nightcrawler title (because it felt good to have some familiarity on an X-Men book, even if Claremont wasn't writing the whole team), but that was cancelled.

I collect DC Comics for my sooperhero fix...Justice League, Wonder Woman and Superman/Wonder Woman. DC's heroes are more familiar than Marvel's heroes.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 5, 2015 at 02:34pm.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Only marvel titles I pick up anymore are older ones. I do want to try and see if I like the new Thor, Squirrel Girl, then I remember single 'life is more fun than married life' and don't jump in. That and on comixology Marvel doesn't reduce cost a month after release like every other friggin company, add to the fact their titles are higher in price to begin with and I have staid away.

I am still reading DC titles, because really the characters are still more or less the same well, the ones i am reading being Batman, Green Lantern and some of their satellite titles.

I still think Marvels best strategy is like I said an imprint built on the movie verse, probably not individual issues but collected trades. A few titles specifically aimed at the young young ones. Classic, and then do all these crazy things in the Ultimate universe. The problem was the ultimate universe started getting bogged down with too much continuity which marvel seems to hate. But if they would just reboot the Ultimate line every 3 years it would work just fine. And I think Spider-gwen would have been a great way to start the new continuity, yes they would have lost miles Morales it would have continued to make 'fresh' versions of older characters that new readers like to read for about a year or two then get tired of and complain about continuity.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The constant stops and starts really pull me out of Marvel's comics. DC is starting to get that way too. Sure #1 sell more comics, but so did variant covers in the 90's. Marvel has stopped and started a few series I like a couple times over the last few years for no reason other than to put out a book with a #1 on the cover, and it's starting to hurt the overall storytelling. As soon as a book finds it's legs they stop it for some new universe shattering event only to start all over again. Just give me good stories already.

bring back Mary Jane, undo Civil War, undo House Of M and all that other garbage that happened under Quesada while also making sure Bendis never gets near these books, and I'll care about Marvel again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    For me, this hits at the heart of why I've essentially given up on Marvel comics (and I've always been a Marvel over DC guy, so....) . It seems like Marvel embraced this huge paradigm shift in the late 90's/early 00's where they just decided that they didn't give two craps about continuity at any level, large or small. I don't think I realized just how important of a concept that was to me in comics until they started to completely disregard it.

I remember around this time period, it seemed like they'd change the creative team on X-Men every few months. The X-Men have always had a revolving door of team members, but during this time they'd just completely re-do the entire roster (for no good reason really) for each new writer. There was no sense of flow from one storyline to the next and these changes where jarring and made the comics hard to read. After a while of that, it started to feel like all these little storylines were some sort of anthology series with no connection at all. The notion that there was a binding through line for all of this just started seeming preposterous. In following the general goings on over the years after I stopped reading, it seems like it's only gotten worse.

And then there was Spider-Man and OMD. Sins of the Past was bad enough, but OMD was the ultimate F-U to continuity and the final straw for me. It's one thing to come up with some cheesy way for the story you want to tell to fit your continuity (which comics do all the time), but it's something else entirely to come up with some cheesy way to make your continuity fit with the story you want to tell.

For me, it was Marvel that made a deal with the comic book devil. They reached a point where they were willing to sacrifice anything for what they wanted to do in the moment. Characters, teams, narrative direction, long term status quo, decades of history, universes--didn't matter: they would burn any and all of them to the ground for one few-month story line. Of course, when you're constantly willing to destroy any and everything, the reader slowly starts to realize that nothing is really all that important.

Spider-Gwen has been the first Marvel book I've read since OMD. I've been able to enjoy it mainly because it exists unto itself in its own universe (well, after it's initial introduction anyway). If they monkey with that in any way, I'm done. I like the book, but it's not THAT good.

So yeah, until Disney buys out Hasbro and Nickelodeon, make mine IDW.
    I agree 100%. And the Devil was corporate America.

Keep in mind Marvel went public in July of 1991 and I'd wager it was the fast buck corporate mindedness that sunk her. Perelmen bought them in 1989 so it may have been the beginning of the end anyway. Corporate interests will always suffocate any good creative endeavor. The sad thing is Marvel's investors could have enjoyed an honest steady albeit slow grow but opted for the short term gain and burned long time readers like us for new fans that would not stick around. We haven't been thought of as "True Believers" or fans for a since 1989. We've been nothing but consumers to them. That's why I don't buy comics anymore. You can smell the corporate incompetence every wednesday when the new issues come out. Ohh look another First Issue! Why because more #1s sell than number proceeding numbers? Then why not make them all number 1??? What's the point of variant covers? And when issues went from a dollar and change to 5 dollars over night because of "better" paper. what a load of garbage. When I want comics I'll buy a reprint volume of any title prior to 1990. I'll not spend a dime on anything produced after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

About 90% of my collection is DC stuff, I've liked very little of the New 52 universe, Dial H was pretty good but then I've always been a fan of Dial H, I've got Bizarro, Batmite and Section 8 on my current pull list and that's about it for the moment, however there's an absolute shed load of stuff DC has put out that I've not read yet, so while I may not be picking up any current stuff I'm quite happy to work my way through their back catalogue.

X-Men First Class.
    Yeah, but those are tied to the era from when they came (no development beyond those time frames).
    What I would like to see is hopefully what DC is going to do where we could see *for ex* Pre 52 comics published at the same time New 52's are published.
    In other words, have these parallel universes running at the same time. All relevant but running their own course (from what I understand Didio has confirmed that's possible). Let's face it, even as great as Spiderman and others are, you can only tell sooo many stories with a character before you start running out of fresh ideas, especially when it comes to the villains they fight. With what's being set up in Marvel now, you will have multiple Spidermen/women trying to exist in the same world. To me, that scenario is going to get old wayyyy faster than if the characters had stayed in their own world with it's own unique scenarios and cast. So, for the first time in a LONG while, I think DC is on the right track but Marvel's taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque