Thread: Other than Power Con, what are your other favourite conventions?

Other than Power Con, what are your other favourite conventions?

I personally find that conventions vary hugely between ones which are fun and ones which are boring. I generally find the smaller cons better but that is sometimes not the case if a bigger con can have good speakers or panels etc.

I have never been to power con and Id like to go this year. However does anyone have any other ones they would recommend. Doesnt have to be MOTU related necessarily. Although Id love to also hear about other cons that DO have MOTU.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I have only been to a smaller one in Louisville, KY...and it wasn't very fun. I would love to go to Power-Con or SDCC some day though.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

C2E2 is my favorite Con of the year, its huge (50-75k people) but not so huge its ridiculous like SDCC
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    New York Comic-Con - it's one of my favorite weekends of the year.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu:3428495
    C2E2 is my favorite Con of the year, its huge (50-75k people) but not so huge its ridiculous like SDCC
    That sounds fun. I might have to give it a try some year and incorporate it into a vacation since I have never been to Chicago either.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    This is the only one I go to. Great time though. I wish matty had a bigger presence there though with reveals and panels
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Netossa, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Shokotti, Castle Grayskull, Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, Filmation hordak, horde trooper(s), sky high, Kevin kosse heads

ConnectiCon! It's a lot more FAN focused, where as things I've been to like NYCC are more focused on the pageantry, and the companies making announcements.
    That's not to say there aren't guests or what have you. There are. Last year I got to meet Marina Sirtis (TNG's Counselor Troi) who was really funny, and cool.
    Jim Cummings (Darkwing Duck) was there, I met Jon St. John (The voice of Duke Nukem), Internet personalities Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic), Team Four Star,
    and Brent Black (Brentalfloss) all showed up for the second year in a row. Shadow Casting group RKO Army was there. A lot of comic artists from indie to majors were there.
    And there were TONS of panels to go to. If you weren't into the panels, there were Tabletop RPG tournaments, Video Game tournaments to go to. There were cosplay contests.
    They had a large section set up for dealers to sell stuff. It's a small but growing convention. It's not very expensive, goes for 3 days, and there is a lot to do.
    Plus, being in the center of Hartford, there is a pretty respectable nightlife. My first night every year I make a point to go with friends to City Steam for a nice dinner, and beer.
    Then we go back to the Con to geek out. Honestly I hope more orgers show up to it who can make it out. I think I'm about the only nutmegger left on the org

Another one I would like to check out one day, should I be able to afford it is MAGFest which is in Virginia if I'm not mistaken. It's a little bit bigger than ConnectiCon but is
    similar in that it's more about the fans, and a lot of web based personalities, and businesses show up. MAGFest is also about music in addition to geek culture so there are more bands
    that show up from what I hear. In any case I would go to either of those if it's in the cards for you I don't know how the scene is in the UK or Europe as a whole so some European
    fans may want to chime in on those if you can't get out to the States. I've heard on other forums I frequent that there are a couple of good video game themed cons in Europe though.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; March 13, 2014 at 10:48pm.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    In any case I would go to either of those if it's in the cards for you I don't know how the scene is in the UK or Europe as a whole so some European
    fans may want to chime in on those if you can't get out to the States. I've heard on other forums I frequent that there are a couple of good video game themed cons in Europe though.
    I go to the US regularly so I was assuming it would US cons. Although I'd also like to hear of European ones. The only thing about Europe is the language barrier (unless it's in the UK). For example I was just reading about grayskull con in Germany, however I don't know if I would feel left out if I didn't speak German. At least in the US there is no issue there.

I actually think I might be going to my first semi-major con in a few weeks (since I can score tickets at 50% off). Can't wait!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I am going to my first major con this weekend, Planetcon in Kansas City. Last year they filmed an episode of Heroes of Cosplay so I have high hopes.

Brisbane and Gold Coast SupaNova and Melbourne Armaggedon Conventions are ones I usually attend or try to every year. There is a new convention abit closer to home starting this year called Sugar City Con,so I might check that out. It will be alot smaller then the larger conventions but looks like it will be a fun experiance.
    -- Illusions come, illusions go. Show a true face to our foe --

Anaheim Wondercon. Got my tickets ready for next month. Also trying smaller, special interests cons, like a used Paperback show in Glendale I went to last Sunday (scored a few cheap copies of Edgar Rice Burroughs books with Frank Frazetta covers). Also a shout-out to Bot-con, which will be in Pasadena CA this June.

heroescon and dragoncon, excluding any local stuff
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    heroescon and dragoncon, excluding any local stuff
    Would love to try Dragoncon sometime when I can afford more casual flying. The cosplay photos I see from there always seem to rival San Diego and Anime Expo in scale and sexiness.