Thread: Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey

Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey

I love shows about the universe and how it all works and this one was being advertised for the last few months so I was really looking forward to it.

Man it was not worth it.

Some of the images were admittedly very nice, especially the awe inspiring (cgi) imagery of the earth and moon forming but the good was well outweighed by the bad.

* The "imagination spaceship" that the host (Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson) was flying around the universe in was so not needed and to see it shooting across all these beautiful images of the different planets really detracted them.

* The way key words appeared on the screen as tho we were supposed to remember them for some test at the end

* The use of the calendar with NDT walking across it like some kind of god

* NDT putting on a pair of sunglasses to watch the big bang

* The terribly animated cartoon to explain the story of Giordano Bruno

* Just NDT's tone of voice and manner of presentation

As I said some of the images of the universe and planets and stuff were very lovely but it was just so condescending and was more like something you would show a 5 year old child to try and get them interested in the universe before they actually watched and proper documentaries on the subject.

Totally not recommended (unless you are 5 of course and even then you may think it talks down to you )
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 16, 2014 at 08:34pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I hadn't seen it because I have heard there are better documentaries out there on the Big Bang Theory and astronomy in general. But it doesn't sound like I missed much that would have been of interest.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

I loved it. And I thought all the nods to the original were terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I hadn't seen it because I have heard there are better documentaries out there on the Big Bang Theory and astronomy in general. But it doesn't sound like I missed much that would have been of interest.

Nope you didn't, which is a great shame as this show had such potential (it was certainly hyped enough). It would have been so much better if it wasn't for the fact it was so childish and really talked down to the viewer.

Oh and another bad mark against it (at least for me) was President Obama's introduction at the start and how America was once a home of explorers and how he hopes this show inspires more americans to explore and discover. Oh that may be a perfectly fine introduction in America but I'm not in America, I'm in England so watching this little intro I was thinking 2 things

1. Why didn't they cut this bit out for international viewers (like me)

2. What about non-american scientists and explorers? I know this is an american show but are they really not even worth a passing mention?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I loved it. And I thought all the nods to the original were terrific.
    I loved it too. I thought it was utterly fantastic. Not a lot of stuff I didn't know in the first episode, but that's not the point. It made me positively giddy this was on a major network. It feels very needed right now.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I agree with......BCI and JonWes. .....I really liked it. While I agree with Wolf that the spaceship was stupid the rest was great. It's cool that they put this on Fox. Its good family entertainment that might teach my 8 yr old a thing or two in the process without even trying.

Well, maybe I will watch it. Does it start with basic stuff that maybe you guys already know and then get more advanced later on?

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I think the show is trying to target a younger demographic in the same manner as the original. It does both those things well. Yes, some of the graphics and cartoons are cheesy, as is the space ship, but it's a tribute show.

No doubt, there are better shows out there, "The Universe", "Through the Wormhole", "How the Universe Works", etc..

My only complaint is that Neil deGrasse Tyson seems way too happy (probably trying to be nice like Carl Sagan was in the original "Cosmos"). He seems less enthused on other programs, which is probably how he normally is, lol.

I kinda wish Alex Fillipenko was the host. That guy's passion for space is contagious.

The thing to remember here is that this isn't made for people who watch shows on these subjects all the time on cable channels. It's meant to be a much more mainstream show. And that's a GOOD thing. Things like the ship of the imagination are meant to cause some excitement in the presentation and really "put you there." Seeing a human in a ship flying through these scenes, to me, helps you put yourself in the situation, so they are less about static, pretty images you're viewing on television and more about being an immersive experience.

I thought, overall the second episode was stronger than the first. It definitely started to dive into more detail, and they certainly didn't shy away from the subject of evolution. And evolution was (quite rightly) portrayed as scientific fact. This, frankly, is (sadly) part of why a mainstream show like this is so wonderful to have at this juncture. I really hope kids and people of all ages watch it and learn something, and hopefully are entertained by a slick presentation. I enjoyed the way evolution was explained. They even tackled the complexity of of the eyeball! The animation was kept to a minimum, which I thought was good. I also enjoyed the concept of the Hall of Extinction. Although this is one area where I thought it felt a little choppy at times. Abruptly leaving the hall and saying we'll come back (and later doing that on Titan, it seems) felt a little strange.

However, I do think the scenes of the Ship of the Imagination flying through Titan really showed how well the concept can immerse you into what's happening. I mean, I get that it won't be for everyone, but I think it's a nice device especially for general audiences.

Would you say it is made for people with less of a scientific background, then?

Yes. Definitely. I mean, they are definitely pitching it to people who might be new to these concepts, or just need a refresher. I will say, I consider myself a very casual science nerd. I read interesting articles when they pop up and I have a pretty decent working knowledge of some of this stuff. I definitely learned a few things in the second episode, especially. And, sometimes, it's nice to have it all laid out for you again.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The thing to remember here is that this isn't made for people who watch shows on these subjects all the time on cable channels. It's meant to be a much more mainstream show. And that's a GOOD thing. Things like the ship of the imagination are meant to cause some excitement in the presentation and really "put you there." Seeing a human in a ship flying through these scenes, to me, helps you put yourself in the situation, so they are less about static, pretty images you're viewing on television and more about being an immersive experience.
    Well it had the opposite effect on me. The Ship of the Imagination pulled me out of the show because of how stupid I found it. I find myself more immersed in shows where they show you images of all the wonders of space without the need to stick a silly CGI spaceship in there.

Now I had never heard of the original series until yesterday (I had only heard of Carl Sagan in a brief passing mention fashion) but I decided to look it up and found the whole series was on Youtube. So I watched the first one, lasted about 20 mins and found the ship of the imagination in that to be just as distracting and couldn't stand to watch any more of it.

Still as you rightly say it is not for everyone and I am simply not one of the people it is for and I will stick with the shows that The All American mentioned as they grab my attention and excite my imagination a LOT more then this show did.

But if you all like this show then great, nice to see some people are getting some enjoyment out of it and here is a nice shiny thread in which you can discuss it

Personally, one episode in (here in the UK it only just started yesterday) and I am already done with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Well it had the opposite effect on me. The Ship of the Imagination pulled me out of the show because of how stupid I found it. I find myself more immersed in shows where they show you images of all the wonders of space without the need to stick a silly CGI spaceship in there.

Now I had never heard of the original series until yesterday (I had only heard of Carl Sagan in a brief passing mention fashion) but I decided to look it up and found the whole series was on Youtube. So I watched the first one, lasted about 20 mins and found the ship of the imagination in that to be just as distracting and couldn't stand to watch any more of it.

Still as you rightly say it is not for everyone and I am simply not one of the people it is for and I will stick with the shows that The All American mentioned as they grab my attention and excite my imagination a LOT more then this show did.

But if you all like this show then great, nice to see some people are getting some enjoyment out of it and here is a nice shiny thread in which you can discuss it

Personally, one episode in (here in the UK it only just started yesterday) and I am already done with the show.
    I never saw the original but Carl Sagan was pretty well-respected (as I guess is Neil Degrasse Tyson only not quite on the same level). I supposeI will just have to watch an episode and see how it goes. Before seminary I was more into social studies and anthropology, so while I had the basic science courses in college I never took much advanced studies in astrophysics or anything, and I stank at math so a lot of your general physics courses - well, the concepts seemed sound enough but trying to apply them made me feel like my brain was going to bleed. Maybe I do need something simpler as a refresher course.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting developments in the Big Bang Theory just within the last week or so - if 'theory' even accurately describes this any more. Not that I would expect Cosmos to reflect them as it has already been produced.

I am a physics and astrophysics teacher.

And this show is just OK for me. It is a shame, since the original Cosmos was so much more inspiring. Tyson is awesome, but it sounds like he is trying almost TOO hard to be like Sagan. I do kind of wish there would be more in explaining to the audience how we know what we know rather than just telling what we know. The most common question I get from students is "if stars are so far away, how do we know so much about them?" Maybe there will be another episode explaining all the neat little physics tricks on determining age of Earth, Sun, other stars, and other quantities like distance to stars, temperature, composition, stellar life cycle, etc.

Measurements in physics are hardly ever done directly. There's always some "trick" which is what I find fascinating. Here's hoping Tyson can actually have an episode on the stellar parallax method or something.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I finally got to check out a couple of episodes on cable. It seemed to skew a little young for me - I think that was the main problem I had with it. And I wished it had used more photography from the Hubble Telescope and the others and less CGI. There are some awesome real pictures, even more breathtaking than anything that can be genned up with a computer. For a younger audience, it might be just the ticket. For me, a little boring - like VGX, my opinion was that it was OK but nothing to write home about.