Thread: Starlight.Studio Custom Spinnerella Accessory Set Review!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Starlight.Studio Custom Spinnerella Accessory Set Review!

Hey all! I purchased two Spinnerella Accessory sets from Starlight.Studio. They're famous for making reproduction Power Ranger and Sailor Moon cosplay items. I know there are others out there that own loose Spinnerella figures and may be interested in this set, but are worried about the colour matching and quality compared to the real Spinnerella accessories. Well, I happen to own a set of the original Spinnerella accessories! I apologize that some of the pictures may be a tiny bit out of focus. I had to take the pictures with my phone, without flash, in order to capture the truest colour of the items as I could. They're very close to the colours in person.

The Starlight set comes packaged in a baggy:

The colour of the spinning base is nearly identical to the vintage toy. The vintage toy is a tiny bit brighter, where the reproduction is a tad darker. The reproduction one also has a bit of a glossy finish to it, whereas the vintage one does not. They are all made out of the same material. The auction says it's ABS plastic. It's a very hard plastic. The wheels of the Mattel version are a little more rubbery than the reproduction. Ironically, I think the reproduction spins better than the Mattel version. Pushing them forwards is about the same, but the Mattel version doesn't work as well when you pull it backwards. The repro one spins fine most of the time, and seems to spin a bit quicker. The Mattel version of Spinnerella's accessories is in the middle of every picture posted.

One thing that's REALLY cool, is that Starlight.Studio has "Starlight" printed on all the separate pieces so no one can pass these off as the official Spinnerella accessories. You don't really notice it unless you look for it, but it's a nice touch.

Real:

Repros:

The shields ARE idential in colour. I'm thinking the mold is based on a PoP girl's shield that was released earlier in the line, because it's MUCH sharper and crisp in detail than my official Spinnerella one. Looking at the other girls in my collection, they have the crisp detail (like Peekablue and Perfuma). The repro shield is very rubbery...like Snout Spout's loincloth in MOTUC or an eraser. The auction states it's a softer ABS plastic. It looks great and functions properly though. It's even two pieces, like the Mattel shields, so it can turn to whichever position you like best. It's worth noting that the "nub" in the middle of the shield is shorter on the reproductions than the official version I have.

The comb is a hard material like the official Mattel comb, but it's pretty far off from the Spinnerella colour. Starlight says it's slightly translucent, so the colour could be off.

All in all, I think this is a FANTASTIC set. Everything is high quality and durable. The only improvements I could see happening, would be to match the comb colour more closely and maybe make the shield out of a slightly firmer material. I would give this set a 9/10.

If anyone's interested in purchasing this set, Starlight.Studio has it on sale for $40 instead of $75. The sale ends in 18 hours. Just search Spinnerella on eBay. You'll find it.

You can see much larger versions of these pictures on my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71136305@N02/
    Last edited by Darkspecter; March 20, 2014 at 05:18am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

That's some impressive work.

Do the comb and shield say 'Starlight' on them as well? I always appreciate when people do things like that to differentiate them from the originals- just because the person who makes them is honest, doesn't mean that a shady person can't buy them, and try to re-sell them as originals.
    "I am The Mad Bubbler... breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

Ahh so thats Spinnerella,s shield . I once picked up that plastic pink shield off the school grounds when i was in grade 2 . Later i found out it belonged to a SHE RA toy but i never knew exactly which one .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Bubbler View Post
    Do the comb and shield say 'Starlight' on them as well? I always appreciate when people do things like that to differentiate them from the originals- just because the person who makes them is honest, doesn't mean that a shady person can't buy them, and try to re-sell them as originals.
    All pieces have the Starlight name on them.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    That's some impressive work.
    It really is impressive stuff. VERY high quality. I'm happy with my purchase. In case anyone's wondering why I bought 2 sets when I already have a set...I happen to own 3 Spinnerella figures.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Bubbler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    All pieces have the Starlight name on them.
    rhea's right. Every piece has Starlight on them. The spinning base has Starlight on all the separate pieces, too (rotating disc, base, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    Ahh so thats Spinnerella,s shield . I once picked up that plastic pink shield off the school grounds when i was in grade 2 . Later i found out it belonged to a SHE RA toy but i never knew exactly which one .
    That's so cool! It could also possibly belong to Starburst She-Ra. She has a pink shield, but it's a much paler colour pink. Spinnerella's accessories are a brighter pink. I know someone posted a comparison picture before, but I can't find one right now. This is Starburst She-Ra's accessories:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I also bought the Starlight set (for my homemade Spinny) and I have to say I LOVE it. The thing I love best about it is that my girls (5 and 2) can actually PLAY with the spinner without me having heart palpitations over how much I spent on it. I really, really appreciate that they went to the trouble to permanently mark all of their pieces with "Starlight" in the molding process - it makes me feel way better about purchasing these pieces since they are quite clearly NOT Mattel originals.

Thanks soo much fro the review! its very nice!!

to answer a few questions, YES every part: Comb and shield are marked with "Starlight" along with multiple parts of the spinner.

yes right now the set is $40 marked down form $75.

a few people have asked about buying them singles, at this time we only have them in sets, but be on the look out for single parts.

if they sell well, and there is a need to remake them, we will try a different material for the Shield, and comb (for color). were also in the process of making some other items. shooting for this spring.

I'm glad you also like your set, Magicat. I always hoped someone would make this and they did!

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight.Studio View Post
    Thanks soo much fro the review! its very nice!!

if they sell well, and there is a need to remake them, we will try a different material for the Shield, and comb (for color). were also in the process of making some other items. shooting for this spring.
    I didn't know you had an account on the .org. I'm glad you like the review. You make great products. If I could offer a suggestion at future Princess of Power items that would be really cool, I would suggest a shield for Frosta and Castaspella. Neither one came with one in the vintage line, but Mattel made them one in the Masters of the Universe Classics line. It would be SO awesome to be able to get the same colours for the vintage figures. Frosta's is translucent blue like ice and Castaspella's is translucent yellow. You could make matching combs for them too, since they just came with the generic purple ones. I'd buy a set of those.

We have thought about that. I love Double Trouble she has always been my favorite. Wanted to make a shield in her color, just not too sure what green to use, and not make it look to much like Perfumia's
    for Frosta i thought it would look nice to make them the color of her staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight.Studio View Post
    We have thought about that. I love Double Trouble she has always been my favorite. Wanted to make a shield in her color, just not too sure what green to use, and not make it look to much like Perfumia's
    for Frosta i thought it would look nice to make them the color of her staff.
    I would go with the dark green of her legs and helmet. That's quite a bit different than Perfuma's shield colouring. Frosta's shield would look nice in the colour of her staff. Castaspella could also have the beige of her leggings if translucent is too difficult or expensive. There are quite a few options that would be nice. It would be SO awesome to have unique shields for all the PoP figures.

Maybe Starbust She-Ra swords in blue & pink to match the ones originally intended to be included with Spinnerella & Netossa.

I would definitely be interested in shield sets. I've repurposed Starburst She-Ra shields for Angella & Glimmer, but shields in more appropriate color for those characters might be cool. Maybe even colors like red for those of us with custom made vintage Shadow Weavers. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Darkspecter - thanks for this post with great pictures. The set looks amazing!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!