Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Son of He-Man Interest

Son of He-Man Interest

With the new mini showcasing what the future holds for MOTUC's canon, many more people seem to have taken an interest in this era. Dare placed well in the fan poll for 2016 and some of the other characters have been voted into the top or near the top 10 as well.

I'm curious how much we as a fanbase actually want SOH to be fleshed out in figure form, cartoons, and comics. I personally would like to see this era as the next platform for MOTU to explore. A SOH sub would be nice or even a new line not necessarily labeled Classics, but In the same style. Also, if we ever get a new toon I'd want it to be about Dare. They could easily do a mini series to open the show and explain to kids who He-Man is and have them flash forward to Dare being the main focus. TMNT is proof that anything done well can sell toys and be huge 20+ years after it was at its height. Also, fantasy properties are doing well and MOTU could be successful again given the right attention.

I think it is time to move on and not remake the original MOTU stories again. Am I alone in thinking this? Or are there others who would like to see Dare take the stage for a little while?

I would support a mini-sub and I have no problem with the occasional figure.

However, I don't think the concept is as strong as the good old Masters of the Universe. They don't have to tell the same old stories forever simply because He-Man is the hero. There is a universe of places the story has not yet gone and could in the future. Re-booting to a son who is nothing more than a rip-off of He-Man and his buddy Skeleteen (LOL) is nothing new or different. It's just the dumbing down of the concept - as if something about He-Man demands that you be old to get it or enjoy it?

So, yeah, a figure here or there is fine, and as I said I think a mini-sub could be fun. But there's nothing new about changing He-Man's hair and calling him Dare. That just clutters up the concept and gets in the way of true progress, in my opinion.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I pretty much agree with No-Ah. Not a huge fan of the Son-of-He-Man story/concept. I also don't mind the idea of getting new figures, but this path doesn't interest me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I would support a mini-sub and I have no problem with the occasional figure.

However, I don't think the concept is as strong as the good old Masters of the Universe. They don't have to tell the same old stories forever simply because He-Man is the hero. There is a universe of places the story has not yet gone and could in the future. Re-booting to a son who is nothing more than a rip-off of He-Man and his buddy Skeleteen (LOL) is nothing new or different. It's just the dumbing down of the concept - as if something about He-Man demands that you be old to get it or enjoy it?

So, yeah, a figure here or there is fine, and as I said I think a mini-sub could be fun. But there's nothing new about changing He-Man's hair and calling him Dare. That just clutters up the concept and gets in the way of true progress, in my opinion.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

IMO the soh concept is weak, the designs are poor and I'm not interested.

After the vintage stuff is done, I'd be glad to see it. I'm personally curious about where the story will go, but we can probably wheedle out answers even if the figures are never made.

My hope for the property and franchise of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is for Son of He Man to be the future. This line needs a future. It needs to move forward and evolve.

It needs to get way out there in the future. Not only because that is where life is, where some stories exist and a much deserved continuation of what is my favourite line is. Not only because stagnating is death.

But because for some of our fans (not me) only the vintage stuff, and specific vintage stuff at that, is what matters. That is fine. But it is a tombstone to a dead thing. But if there were more growth, we could have retro stuff again with out it being more rehash.

New Adventures good or bad isnt important. But it gave us something new. And then when 200x came out it was cool if only because it was a return to the past. IF we dont get outta the past there is no return. there is only death.

That aside now, I particularly just really want to have this story. These characters. New blood, new excitement. Good or ill, just new growth. I Love MOTU so I want to see it expand. That's how it thrives.

MOTUC is the perfect base to build on to reach the future and see what it has. And that future is Son of He Man. And as an aside some real "retro" stories by exploring what the Powers of Grayskull is. Tell that story too. It's new and has 5000 years to expand in.

There is absolutely no reason MOTU couldnt be GI JOe, or Transformers, or Star Wars. It, like those properties has to be allowed to make mistakes. To add to the existing. To grow and take chances. To just exist. And in the growth we get good, we get great, and we get bad. But it's alive and vibrant and another chance to tell us that story we want.

So we need Son of He Man. We NEED it. this line needs it. ANd it could be amazing. ALready is in as much as every new thing I get (just like Scott said) is like being a kid again. I'm seeing some new He Man stuff. What could be better?

As much as I love seeing my beloved youth come alive in MOTUC, it is almost without fail that the new stuff is what gets me the most excited. King He-Man, Vykron, Demo Man, Gygor, Sea Hawk (new in plastic) ect....

The best part of childhood was not neccessarily the specifics, but the feeling. And boy we are ready to get it.

Yeah, I'm all for it. It's happening in my brain whether or not it happens in the toyline, anyway. There's a seed here, and I want to see it grow.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Yeah I'm all for it.

It doesn't have to exactly be like the series bible describes but like what another poster stated Master of the Universe needs to expand and grow or it wil die again.

Love or hate NA it opened us up to new characters and situations and I hope some of those continue into SOH.

We know Mekaneck had a son in Filmation he be new hero for the new generation.

I am not opposed to it, so long as they dont use the name Skeleteen!
    I mean come on! and please no punk rock look like that mini comic pic.

I am all for it. The new mini-comic sounds excellent and I really want a Dare figure.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

While I'm not against the occasional figure in MOTUC, I think it's a crazy idea to sideline your most well known and thus most easily marketed characters. What would be far better than Son of He-Man, imo, is a complete reboot. Taking Transformers and TMNT as examples of franchises that have survived for decades, the main characters have always been Optimus Prime, Leonardo, Michelangelo etc but they have constantly been refreshed and had new characters & settings introduced.

To me SoH is like Batman Beyond, it's not the next era of fandom for the brand, just a future of the fictional world. We still want to see developments in modern Gotham, happening to modern Batman, while the adventures of his son are honestly just a spin off of the main attraction and subject to whatever changes happen in the modern telling. Another comparison is Fray to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If they can make SoH more compelling than that to me--and it's not without it's appeal even under these terms--then more power to them, but I don't feel like this is the "future" of MOTU either.

Of course right now it looks like the only SoH characters are Dare, Laser-Lot, Spector, Skeleteen, Unnamed One, and Demo-Man. Assuming none of the Filmation bible characters are going to be a part of MOTUC's version, we have a lot of room to grow with this new faction/era.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 23, 2014 at 08:17am.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

MOTUC is just everything the cook has, together with yesterday's leftovers, thrown into one soup. It does not work as a real story, also naming Hordak Hektor does not help.

Skeleteen is just a horrible concept that could maybe only work as part of Monster High.

Heroic Warrior
    No not interested. I want the real thing, not a poor rip-off, especially when we speak about comics and cartoons. And when was the last time that actually a son of a fictional hero was more popular than his father. Did Korak became more popular than Tarzan? Did Damian replaced Bruce at the fan's heart as Batman? As for the action figures and toys, there are still a lot of MOTU (Filmation, mini comic, MYP), POP and POG characters that they deserve to be made. I don't mind a couple of figures from the SOH era, but being the future of franchise please no. I don't want to see or read a cartoon or comic about MOTU, with He-man, Skeletor, and Co as guest stars.

Not interested at all...
    Poor concept and, often, horrible characters.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Warrior
    I would like to see some of the main characters, especially Dare, but I don't know that it is popular enough for a mini-sub. Just as characters from the past have been put into the line a little at a time, I would like to see Son of He-Man handled the same way.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Aside from Queen Teela and the Filmation version of Dare, I'm not interested either.

We have TONS of undeveloped characters in the mythos already. TONS. Instead of making more new undeveloped characters, why not develop the old characters like Transformers has been doing over at IDW's comics? They made D-list characters like Skids, Whirl, Tailgate, Swerve and Getaway into way stronger characters while adding layers to old favorites like Ratchet, Prowl, Soundwave, Ultra Magnus, Optimus, Megatron and Shockwave.

There is a reason why some of these characters have a hell of a time selling and that is because they are undeveloped! The MONTHLY New 52 DC comic would have been an excellent way to give these "lesser characters" a spotlight. Mattel makes Hydron, but only the NA fans want him...Mattel should be trying to sell Hydron, to make all MOTU fans want him. They can't do it if he's undeveloped.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'd love to see more Classics figures and mini comics from the SoH era and would even be down for a mini sub. But as a new media/mass retail launch? Idk, I'd rather that energy be focused on the MOTU movie.

I'm for it in theory, as I want the line to evolve and have a future, and I want cool new characters introduced, but I'm not sure SoH is the way to go about it if it is basically just rehashing the characters and stories of MOTU but with much weaker designs.
    Seeing Dare and Skeleteen in the new comic really put me off, their designs are awful.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    I would be down for a few of the enemies and allies from the original Filmation pitch, but with Scott pushing the main characters that are just diluted/off-shoot versions of characters we already have (He-Ro, Skeleteen, King He-Man, and Gorpo), I don't want to see the "A-list" SOH stuff get all the love.

So I'd have to say, altogether, I'd rather pass on this non-era of He-Man, and let the Classics line focus on the characters of the past 30 years who've gotten no toy love at all. There's plenty in everyone's top 20 lists, between Filmation, minicomics, NA, and 200x to fill another 2 years before we have to subject ourselves to the likes of contest losers like Netta or Gangstor or Son of He-man nobodies like Forklift and Missle-Toe.
    Red Beast needs your support!

Please consider Red Beast, the MUST HAVE concept figure, when making your Wish Lists for Super 7!

While I think it's fun to give a nod to the existence of characters like Netta or unnamed concept characters in comics and such, they're just not really strong enough designs to be made into action figures.
    These are characters that were designed by children that lost contests, and designs that were rejected, they never made it off the drawing board for a reason.
    If they weren't good enough then I'm not sure what makes people think they'd make awesome figures now. If the designs were heavily tweaked/updated by the 4H then sure... but as they are... no.

www.lukespicer.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    While I think it's fun to give a nod to the existence of characters like Netta or unnamed concept characters in comics and such, they're just not really strong enough designs to be made into action figures.
    These are characters that were designed by children that lost contests, and designs that were rejected, they never made it off the drawing board for a reason.
    If they weren't good enough then I'm not sure what makes people think they'd make awesome figures now. If the designs were heavily tweaked/updated by the 4H then sure... but as they are... no.
    I disagree. If there was a contest of 1000 new characters, it doesn't mean that the other 999 characters that didn't make it were crap. Mattel had to choose one out of the top five--any one of those could have made it. Some of those concepts could have made for some very cool characters.

If the fans had to choose the winner, Fearless Photog and Castle Grayskullman might not have won.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I disagree. If there was a contest of 1000 new characters, it doesn't mean that the other 999 characters that didn't make it were crap. Mattel had to choose one out of the top five--any one of those could have made it. Some of those concepts could have made for some very cool characters.

If the fans had to choose the winner, Fearless Photog and Castle Grayskullman might not have won.
    I wasn't referring to the 2012 CAC runners up, as they were designed by adults as far as I'm aware, I was just referring to the 80s CAC runners up (Netta, Brainwave, Eyebeam, Compactor) who were all designed by children. And the winner (Photog) was chosen by fans if I remember correctly... it was a phone vote.

www.lukespicer.com

I'm not interested but I'm not opposed to them being made. I'll just simply pass.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

The biggest problem with the SOH that Scott is pushing is that, in real life it turned into NA He-Man... The least popular version of He-Man.

I much rather see a brand new direction with more of a high fantasy focus rather than science fiction.

IMHO.