Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoar (Male or Female in Classics)?

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar

Zoar (Male or Female in Classics)?

Just curious if anywhere in the classics line we have been told if Zoar is male or female.

I know in vintage material and the Filmation cartoon Zoar was commonly referred to as a male.

Not sure if Scott wrote in to the new bios or elsewhere why Zoar was considered a male even though the Sorceress was a female.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's meant to be the sorceress so I guess female,
    ( me, I recon it's male and should be ten times bigger)

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Just curious if anywhere in the classics line we have been told if Zoar is male or female.

I know in vintage material and the Filmation cartoon Zoar was commonly referred to as a male.

Not sure if Scott wrote in to the new bios or elsewhere why Zoar was considered a male even though the Sorceress was a female.

WHHHHAAAAAAAT ?????????

In Filmation, Zoar was always been a disguise version of Sorceress !! So it IS a Female !!
    Looking For Super 7's Club Grayskull Wave 1 Figures (Hordak, Teela, Man-At-Arms & Tri-Klops) !

There are a few episodes were Zoar is referred to as a male. The one that comes to mind is the time warp episode with Fang-Man. Man-At-Arms refers to Zoar as a "he".

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    WHHHHAAAAAAAT ?????????

In Filmation, Zoar was always been a disguise version of Sorceress !! So it IS a Female !!

Heroic Warrior
    Original canon and box art = male; Filmation canon (for the most part) = female. I don't think there has been a strong commitment one way or the other in Classics. Probably best to stick to your pre-Classics preference.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    To me the smaller orange Filmation Zoar is the Sorceress. The bigger original toy is a male, Zoar the fighting falcon. They are separate bird beings in my canon. I think Zoar was always meant to be a male as he was in all media until Filmation came along and wrecked him by making the Sorceress connection.
    One purple turd deserves another.

Yeah, it depends on canon. To me, Zoar is just a messenger for the Sorceress and a seperate being, so he is male. Most folks like the Filmation version, though.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Maybe the Sorceress is biologicaly a guy, but a transwoman transformed into a girl by the means of magic. But she keeps her male genitalia and that's why Zoar is considered a male.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    There are a few episodes were Zoar is referred to as a male. The one that comes to mind is the time warp episode with Fang-Man. Man-At-Arms refers to Zoar as a "he".
    I thought that Duncan and others sometimes referred to Zoar as a 'he' because they didn't know it was actually the Sorceress in disguise/linear projected form...

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    I thought that Duncan and others sometimes referred to Zoar as a 'he' because they didn't know it was actually the Sorceress in disguise/linear projected form...
    I guess you're right ! Or its one of those Filmations "mix up" !!
    Looking For Super 7's Club Grayskull Wave 1 Figures (Hordak, Teela, Man-At-Arms & Tri-Klops) !

Well, Teela came with Zoar, the Fighting Falcon, a male warrior bird as seen in the early minicomics. He sports green armor. The Sorceress came with her falcon form, which she sometimes equips with red armor. Screeech is another story altogether, and I have a green (from DC's Beast boy) falcon I call "Florus" who is an emissary of Moss Man. That's how it is at my house.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

"In My Canon®" The "Zoar" that originally came with Teela (the one to use w/the green mini comic armor that you could buy afterwards) for me is male (the fighting falcon), & existed in Oo-Lar's time.

The Zoar that comes with the Sorceress is the Sorceress in bird form, also called Zoar as a tribute the the original.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    "In My Canon" The "Zoar" that originally came with Teela (the one to use w/the green mini comic armor that you could buy afterwards) for me is male (the fighting falcon), & existed in Oo-Lar's time.

The Zoar that comes with the Sorceress is the Sorceress in bird form, also called Zoar as a tribute the the original.
    That pretty much sums it up for me as well.
    One purple turd deserves another.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    In (not) My Canon™® the Male Zoar's real name is Tyler.

Yeah I know, old joke...All kidding aside, I have been trying to come up with a good name for the vintage toy/Early mini comics Zoar. I'm leaning towards Zephyr. What do you guys think? Zoar The Sorceress of Grayskull and her guardian Zephyr The Fighting Falcon in the time before Adam Became He-Man?

I also made a cool new part swap character with the Grayskull Bat flightpack on Geldar with and Webstor's gun who also holds the bird. I have yet to give this guy a name, other then his job title: "The Falconer".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I have a green (from DC's Beast boy) falcon I call "Florus" who is an emissary of Moss Man.
    Reading that made me think the white bird from the weapon pack should belong to Mo-Lar and be named Floss

I like the idea of the green bird being Moss Man's. Makes more sense then it belonging to The Goddess (as I know some people have it set up) Sometimes I have Beastman holding Teela's bird I think your Moss Man should battle my Beastman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Hermaphrodite.
    You jest, but I would imagine this is a character that the T of the LGBT among us to latch onto and create something new with. Didn't some ancient religions venerate transgender people in ancient times? The Egyptians? Greeks? I know somebody did. This Gender swap would be good material to mine for a Cult of Zoar perhaps in future stories? Everybody deserves to be represented in the entertainment they enjoy. Think of the nightmare some five year old children must go through. They deserve to have a toy that is like them just as much as you or I do.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; March 28, 2014 at 08:40pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

"In My Canon" The "Zoar" that originally came with Teela (the one to use w/the green mini comic armor that you could buy afterwards) for me is male (the fighting falcon), & existed in Oo-Lar's time.

I like your canon because when Teela'Na becomes the new Sorceress, Kudok Ungel says "Ah, a Falcon" in a tone that sounds like she is pleased with the transformation, maybe hinting that a previous protector of Grayskull had a falcon form as well. Though in Filmation, Zoar is sometimes described as 'the mystical bird' hinting that it has been around for a long time... maybe Eternians assume the male Zoar and Sorceress Zoar were one and the same like we do?
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar

We have a winner!

...at least as far as I'm concerned.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Floss...that's funny .
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I don't think I have seen this since like 2003! You brought back old memories. Not sure if that is a good thing....

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    In (not) My Canon™® the Male Zoar's real name is Tyler.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs44/i/20..._John00065.jpg

I used to view the vintage toy as male when I was a kid but after Filmation I view Zoar as female.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Heroic Warrior

This is my thoughts as well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Both.

Teela's bird (orange& reds) is Zoar the male bird. A familiar if you will. The Sorceress can ride his mind to leave the confines of the castle like a Warg in Game of Thrones.

Then there is also the Sorceress's spirit form, that of an orange, blue, ect bird called Zoar which is female in as much as it is the Sorceress as a bird.

This is how I understand what is going on. How I make sense of it and combine everything into one continuity. This thinking is the reason I love MOTUC bios so much, mixing everything into one sorted bunch.

Though I dont think this understanding of the 2 Zoars is explicitly stated anywhere in the MOTUC bios (my default bases for the story of MOTU especially since it's current and expansive) it is also not strictly disproved either, so it is what I go with. That way Teela's Zoar accessory of the toy is a thing and can exist at the same time as the other version that came with the Sorceress. Zoar Teela's male battle Bird (and mine wears the armour) that is rooted in early vintage stuff and the female spirit animal of the Sorceress Zoar (with no armour) like in the vintage toon.

and after posting saw much the same thing referenced above. Excepting Male Zoar is contemporary to He-Man & Teela.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    That pretty much sums it up for me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I like your canon because when Teela'Na becomes the new Sorceress, Kudok Ungel says "Ah, a Falcon" in a tone that sounds like she is pleased with the transformation, maybe hinting that a previous protector of Grayskull had a falcon form as well. Though in Filmation, Zoar is sometimes described as 'the mystical bird' hinting that it has been around for a long time... maybe Eternians assume the male Zoar and Sorceress Zoar were one and the same like we do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    We have a winner!
    ...at least as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    This is my thoughts as well.
    Great minds think alike!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Female but the filmation toon did mess up a lot and make zoar the sorceress s pet.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior
    The blue feathered Zoar to me is nothing more than the Sorceress transformed, so I would assume female but it's just a Glamor to me as well so technically it's not a falcon but rather a spell. The fire colored falcon is the familiar of the Goddess and male because I'm a sucker for the vintage mini comics. So I agree the PHYSICAL form of Zoar is male, so I agree: Zoar is male.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and original here