View Poll Results: Which canon would you like to be predominant guide for the new live action movie?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mini Comics

14 22.58%
  • Filmation Cartoon

21 33.87%
  • New Adventures

3 4.84%
  • 1987 Movie

1 1.61%
  • MVC Comics

5 8.06%
  • MOTU Classics

9 14.52%
  • MYP 200X Cartoon

26 41.94%
  • Ongoing DC Comics

3 4.84%
  • 1980's comics (Marvel/Star/Marvel UK/DC)

1 1.61%
  • King Features Comic Strips

0 0%
  • He-Ro son of He-Man

0 0%
  • Something else (you name it)

4 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which canon would you like to be predominant guide for the new live action movie?

Prime Warrior of Esgeal Mercury's Avatar

Which canon would you like to be predominant guide for the new live action movie?

Which canon would you like to be predominant guide for the new live action movie?
    "It's better to burn out...
    ...than to fade away"

Kurgan in "Highlander" the movie

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I would really want "Mini-comics" and take MOTU back to it's Thundarr-esque roots.

BUT, the "By the Power of Grayskull" transformation is so iconic that a MOTU live action movie has to have it. So I voted MYP cartoon--have Adam and He-Man be two different actors.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    MYP cartoon and MVC comics. They had the better MOTU stories and characterizations!

I voted 'Something Else'. I think it should be it's own story.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Tung Lashor, Queen Angela & Lodar

Heroic Warrior
    Mini comics, no question.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Classics-it has everything!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    200X - It *REALLY* enriched the mythos.

I went with MYP as well.

Heroic Warrior
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Mini-comics, it has to be. Anything else will not be taken seriously. People why do you think this rumored movie keeps switching directors...because nobody wants to touch it. It is going to come off corny and cheesy. If you make it a mini-comic style Conan,barbarian,LOTR combination kind of thing it could work.

Early mini comics tone, with the Filmation transformation stuff
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I'd love an Alcala or Texiera style mini-comic movie myself, but it might never happen. People are too married with Orko, Prince Adam and the "By the Power of Grayskull" transformation being apart of MOTU to go back to the way things were--at least initially. It's like thinking of TMNT without Krang, Bebop or Rocksteady.

However, it might make for an intriguing reboot after we get a trilogy with Filmation/MYP elements.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'd love an Alcala or Texiera style mini-comic movie myself, but it might never happen. People are too married with Orko, Prince Adam and the "By the Power of Grayskull" transformation being apart of MOTU to go back to the way things were--at least initially. It's like thinking of TMNT without Krang, Bebop or Rocksteady.

However, it might make for an intriguing reboot after we get a trilogy with Filmation/MYP elements.
    I would also loved to see an Alcala's mini comic-based He-Man. It would be an awesome epic movie. It could fall the steps of the Hercules: Thracian Wars movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYka1mHH2tE

When i saw this trailer, i thought that this is how a mini comic He-Man sould be if they ever bring him in the big screen and the awesomeness of such kind of project. Just replace the Ancient Greece set with Eternia and it would be perfect.

It would be a really simplistic cast too...

He-Man
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Stratos
    Skeletor
    Beast Man
    Mer-Man

The Goddess
    King Randor
    Queen Marlena

Evil-Lyn, Tri-Klops, Trap Jaw, Zodac, Man-E-Faces and Ram Man could appear for the sequels.

I voted "something else" based on the fact that I just want the to do what's best for the movie and the story the have, not be beholden to our expectations. People forget that art is made when they do what they think is best, not when they try to please people.

So I would like things to be very true to the idea of heman and for me the current MOTUC encapsulates everything about it I love and is very wide open for ideas. But at the end of they day, I'd like to see an Eternian story about He-Man vs Skeletor. I would be fine with Prince Adam, I would like to have that aspect involved, with Eternos Palace and the royal family, ect. But any specific version? No, make it their own and be true to the ideas but create it whatever way works best for film.

Take inspiration from everything, but distill it down into their own Cinematic universe. I dont want just a literal interpretation of a specific comic or cartoon episode or anything.

I'd prefer a balanced combination of 200X and Filmation with some mini comic easter eggs.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    As far as I see it for a Filmation, 200x or MOTUC based canon you would need an actor who has the muscle to play the heroic warrior He-Man "the most powerful man in the universe"; appears comfortable, proficient and savvy in a world where magic and technology interact, and; has the acting skills to be the wise leader of the Masters against devious foes, such as Skeletor and his Evil Warriors. At present, I don't believe there are many (if any) actors out there with a sufficient skill set to convincingly pull this off. Reducing the requirements until today's actors could play the part would lead to comparisons with other (less versatile imo) superheroes like Thor.

Alternatively, if you follow the barbarian approach of the mini-comics (which could work) you will get comparisons to Conan and Hercules. In addition, the re-boot of the former was not a great or long-lasting success.

So the on-going DC Series (despite its many flaws) might be the most realistic option and the easiest to film convincingly on a fixed budget (especially special effects). It might also offer something unique and a strong storyline in a male superhero saturated market.

Whatever is decided I just hope that this time they give the live action movie sufficient resources to do the job properly.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    As far as I see it for a Filmation, 200x or MOTUC based canon you would need an actor who has the muscle to play the heroic warrior He-Man "the most powerful man in the universe"; appears comfortable, proficient and savvy in a world where magic and technology interact, and; has the acting skills to be the wise leader of the Masters against devious foes, such as Skeletor and his Evil Warriors. At present, I don't believe there are many (if any) actors out there with a sufficient skill set to convincingly pull this off. Reducing the requirements until today's actors could play the part would lead to comparisons with other (less versatile imo) superheroes like Thor.
    The way MCU Thor is, all he needs is to change into Donald Blake and he's He-Man. Asgard is damn near Eternia-like with half magic and half tech. Ironically, Chris Hemsworth thinks He-Man is basically playing Thor anyway...

Heroic Warrior
    The way MCU Thor is, all he needs is to change into Donald Blake and he's He-Man. Asgard is damn near Eternia-like with half magic and half tech. Ironically, Chris Hemsworth thinks He-Man is basically playing Thor anyway...
    For this reason mini comic post apocalyptic-Eternia tribesman He-Man is a good choise for a MOTU movie. Because he is not a prince or a royalty like Thor, he is not Captain Marvel, he is different enough as a story and set from Conan, he is not a greek mythological hero like Hercules. He is his own character that he lives at his own particular world. If the next Hercules movie go well at the box office, it could make Sony to consider the possibility to bring mini comic He-Man on the big screen. It remains open of course the question how She-Ra would get involved in a possible sequel. Well i don't think is necessary that She-Ra and He-Man have to be related in every canon or story. She-Ra could still be the princess that was kidnapped by the Horde, being a champion of Greyskull and all, without actually being He-Man's sister. They both can be Greyskull's champions and allies, without being siblings.

I thought I'd be the only guy voting for NA lol. I actually would love to see an NA movie. Maybe the forth film after 1 has Skelly as the villain, 2 the Horde and 3 the Snake Men. Then Skelly makes a big return in 4 with the trip the the Triax Star system.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I agree. My reference to Thor was deliberate as I thought the way the MCU Thor films are structured is very reminiscent of Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Hence, a Filmation based canon for a live action He-Man would be viewed as an imitation of MCU Thor rather than vice versa. It also makes me wonder whether one or more of the MCU Thor creative team are fans of MOTU or were at least aware of it when they wrote and produced MCU Thor.

As a side point, I believe Chris Hemsworth is wrong in his assertion that in playing He-Man he would be reprising his role as Thor. To me Filmation He-Man is a level above Thor in acting terms and would require playing a far more rounded individual that exudes confidence not only as a warrior but as an experienced and technically competent wise leader that has magic / technological awareness and gives consideration to the consequences before taking action. As such it is a natural progression for him if he is a versatile enough actor or likes challenges.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I thought I'd be the only guy voting for NA lol. I actually would love to see an NA movie. Maybe the forth film after 1 has Skelly as the villain, 2 the Horde and 3 the Snake Men. Then Skelly makes a big return in 4 with the trip the the Triax Star system.
    NA would have been my second choice if that counts. I like the plans for the sequels too.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

He-man isn't as arrogant as Thor and is more jovial. I'd hope more charismatic too as I haven't found Thor in the movies very riveting. I can understand why Hemsworth wouldn't want to play He-man though and be type cast doing similar roles like that.

Mini comic style would be great. But I'll totally be happy if they follow MYP. It basically builds on Filmation, so two factions should be fairly happy if they go that route. But I would love to see it dark and dirty like the original mini's.
    Last edited by Grayskullian; April 20, 2014 at 07:52pm.
    I think I learnt more about being a good person from He-man, then I did in church.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    He-man isn't as arrogant as Thor and is more jovial. I'd hope more charismatic too as I haven't found Thor in the movies very riveting. I can understand why Hemsworth wouldn't want to play He-man though and be type cast doing similar roles like that.
    Personality-wise, He-Man usually doesn't grow--he's the same from first episode to last. He's never wrong or has a personality flaw to overcome, unlike most Marvel characters (Spider-Man was selfish, Doctor Strange, Iron Man and Thor were arrogant, Cap had a hero's heart, despite not having a hero's strength, Hulk was misunderstood, etc.). The only time He-Man (more like Adam) had some growth were the growing pains from the first four episodes of 200X.

I voted MYP. Filmation was great but some of the storty line was campy. MYP was darker and more edgy, which is what the live action movie needs.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Heroic Warrior
    I voted MYP (and that means the MVC comics to me too) cos this was the best version of MOTU ever!

Nothing since has been any good at all.