Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MOTU Movie – a ‘Troubled Project.’

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Given Mattel’s recurrent dismal retail performance, the ending of the MOTUC toyline and the lack of significant impact made by the DC comics, one might expect that they would be doing everything in their power to abet this film in getting made and brought before the widest possible audience.

But apparently not.
    Just how many bad decisions has Mattel made MOTU related? This should not shock you.

What's with that movie tease on the official FB He-Man page? (It's He-Man on "the set" of Max Steel's movie. The big H says he should do his own movie.)
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    So no news with SDCC then
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    Nope. Very, very disappointing.

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior
    Whenever I read these kinds of threads, I really end up shaking my head when fans start name dropping other franchises that He-Man should be more like:

Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Conan, John Carter of Mars
    You get closer to He-Man from left to right, but still these are all great works of literature that have been around from 20-100 years. The source material is respected, the fan base is rabid and built in. He-Man will never be able to achieve this level, and really shouldn't. He-Man isn't fine literature and never will be.

Avengers/Thor, Transformers, GI Joe
    He-Man definitely falls closer to these in terms of it's origin and tone. The MCU is really top quality, but is very much a hip pop culture kind of offering. Trying to do He-Man in that kind of style, IMO, would strip it of it's unique sword and sorcery aspects (Though we could do worse than a Thor clone...). Transformers and GI Joe are pop corn trash. TF has been invigorated by the movies success and bred some great secondary media, but the movies themselves are downright offensive.

I really believe that there is a middle ground. Something accessible to kids, but watchable by adults. Something that embraces the Sword and sorcery (with technology as a kind of forgotten lore/magic) setting without referencing our world too much. Something that could capture the magic of Eternia. I've seen something that has done just that:

How to train your dragon
    Marginally based on the book series, the magic of these films is that they deal with VERY dark subjects, including death, dismemberment, parental abandonment, in a way that is accessible to kids and adults alike. Imagine the HTTYD storyline but replace these characters:

Hiccup -> Adam
    Stoic -> Randor
    Gobber -> Duncan
    Astrid -> Teela

The thing writes itself. To me THAT's the model to follow. And do it in 3D animation. Do tie in TV shows... I love the tie in shows they did for this.

Maybe I'm crazy but that would be a heck of a lot better than SUPER SERIOUS R RATED He-Man, or Bay-Man!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    It bothers me when people go about assuming that Hollywood is making story driven, icon inferring movies and tv.
    Mostly Hollywood is making climate change references and Alliance-Pictures-standardized-stylized-stereotyping-scriptpumped-deadlined-garbage.

I wish someone could tell me how a proper movie could be made these days?

Hmm Sony and their decisions.Sony delays Spider-Man 3 and instead set Uncharted movie ,come on!Uncharted a june movie? Sinister six a spin-off from a fatigued franchise to november 2016?
    Apparently any project is ready except motu ,They have a huge script but after 5 years they(and Mattel) still are not ready.

I think sony deserves go from failure to failure.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Hmm Sony and their decisions.Sony delays Spider-Man 3 and instead set Uncharted movie ,come on!Uncharted a june movie? Sinister six a spin-off from a fatigued franchise to november 2016?
    Apparently any project is ready except motu ,They have a huge script but after 5 years they(and Mattel) still are not ready.

I agree with you. It would be better if Mattel had left the rights at Warner. At least they could have made perhaps an animated movie, and even, since Warner has the rights of the DC characters, a possible animated movie adaptation of DC vs MOTU comic.
    Actually there was an article of how a possible film adaptation of the DC vs MOTU comic could help on having a proper MOTU film franchise. If someone is interested, here is the article:
    http://whatculture.com/film/5-reason...urned-film.php
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 29, 2014 at 07:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post

TBH, as has been alluded to by the OP of this thread, I think the delay is more down to Mattel than Sony. Sony seemingly wants this, as evidenced by the fact that they've held on to the rights far longer than any studio before them. All the articles I've read about Sony recently indicate that they want more franchises. MOTU fits in with what they're looking for. I think its Mattel dragging their heels more than Sony.

It’s the reason why after ten years of the rights bouncing around Hollywood a film hasn't been made yet. It’s ridiculous. The interest and potential is there, and people in Hollywood know it. If MOTU was owned by Hasbro I have no doubt whatsoever there would have been a film by now (with maybe even a sequel or two). Get this idea out of your head (not you personally, but other fans who've said as much) that Mattel is taking their time to get it right. They're not. They're just dragging their heels because they're unwilling to compromise and play fair, which is something that Hasbro has clearly learned to do. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Mattel are causing more harm than good. I don't exactly know what it is they want or expect.

I watched a video interview with Jeff Wadlow recently and he touched on MOTU a little. The man is seeping with passion for the property. He also knows his stuff. More than me. Will Mattel see it?
    Last edited by Krueger; July 29, 2014 at 08:25pm.

I wish Mattel would be bold and strike with She-Ra. The "climate" is just right for a She-Ra movie.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I wish Mattel would be bold and strike with She-Ra. The "climate" is just right for a She-Ra movie.
    Because "Lucy" did decent in the box office when most female lead action movies suffer? Maybe, if they can get Scarlett to play her since she got established as Black Widow in the Avengers movies. I still think it would be best if She-Ra was established in a MOTU sequel first.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I still think it would be best if She-Ra was established in a MOTU sequel first.
    I agree. I think She-Ra and her whole origin is perfect sequel material.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I thought the intent, at least initially, was for He-Man to have a live action movie and for She-Ra to have an animated movie and cartoon series.

The press release last year saying DreamWorks were going to be developing some new animated material based on characters from the Classic Media library, which specifically mentions He-Man and She-Ra, is to me an indicator that something animated is (or was) planned. Given a live action He-Man film is known to be in development by Sony I suspect any MOTU-related DreamWorks animated movie and series would include or focus on She-Ra. DreamWorks on the other hand might value She-Ra as a strong female lead as she would look a very attractive possibility commercially given the original success of her Filmation series and the recent success of another strong female animated lead in Pixar's Brave.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Nope. Very, very disappointing.
    +1 WHEN .... WHEN WILL WE HAVE A NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    +1 WHEN .... WHEN WILL WE HAVE A NEWS

I feel like your avatar.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Given the speed with which Hollywood is proceeding with a live action He-Man film I would suggest Mattel should be even bolder and go for a standalone live-action She-Ra movie by a good Chinese production company. I'm sure the Chinese company would get things moving and follow the Mattel creative line. Movie costs might also be a fraction of the Hollywood cost allowing for better actors, special effects, etc. It might also allow MOTUC to break into the Chinese market as the classic She-Ra story of resistance to an invader would appeal due to the similarities with actual historical invasions and legendary female warriors like Mulan.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Given the speed with which Hollywood is proceeding with a live action He-Man film I would suggest Mattel should be even bolder and go for a standalone live-action She-Ra movie by a good Chinese production company. I'm sure the Chinese company would get things moving and follow the Mattel creative line. Movie costs might also be a fraction of the Hollywood cost allowing for better actors, special effects, etc. It might also allow MOTUC to break into the Chinese market as the classic She-Ra story of resistance to an invader would appeal due to the similarities with actual historical invasions and legendary female warriors like Mulan.
    The condition would be that it would have to be set in Shanghai.