Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filmation Merman head

Filmation Merman head

As with my Leech head this is work in progress when it comes to details. But it gives you an idea of the basic proportions.
    A Filmation Merman head have been my most wanted look of that character since I was a kid. This will take some time to get right but I will eventually print it through Shapeways and paint it Anyone know which material to choose when printing these kind of things?

Most Wanted MOTUC: Dragstor, Kittrina, Lizard man, Filmation Merman, Blast Attack, Angella, Dragoon, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by zodac666 View Post
    a filmation merman head have been my most wanted look of that character since i was a kid. ]
    same here!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Not exactly my favourite character, but if I'm going to have a Merman in my collection, THIS is exactly the way I want him to look! Nice work!

As for the printing material, over on Shapeways they usually recommend something called "strong & flexible" plastic, but I've found that it doesn't really hold the detail enough and comes out rather grainy looking.

I personally would recommend the more expensive grade of plastic called "frosted ultra-detail". But with this one there seems to be some danger of the material breaking during the fabrication process as it is more fragile. But in my opinion the finished result looks far superior.

But I think you can just offer both options on your product page and let people go ahead and make their own choice as to whichever they're willing to pay Shapeways for when they place their order.

Good luck with these 2 very cool projects!
    MOTUC most wanted: Skelcons, Satma, Lord Masque, Vultak, Great Black Wizard, Slime Pit Bone Warrior, Horde Wraith, Red Knight, Beast Lord, Illumina, Catra Cat Form, Evil Seed 200X, Old Man Marzo 200X, Prahvus, King Miro, Hunga the Harpy, Skeletor's Robot Knights, Lady Slither, Lady Valtira

Awesome! We've really been needing this interpretation of Mer-Man in the line!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Yes! Bring on the Filmation Mer-Man head!!!
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Mermista, Peekablue
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation:Lizard Man, Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

Remember to take into account the spines on the MOTUC MerMan armor! They could interfere with the head.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Yeah I realized that and had to reduce the fins a bit. Heres the near final version:

Most Wanted MOTUC: Dragstor, Kittrina, Lizard man, Filmation Merman, Blast Attack, Angella, Dragoon, Tung Lashor

Looks great man!
    By the ancients!!!

Hmm, can you also offer the version before you reduced the fins? (Just put separate "version 1" and "version 2" pages on Shapeways)

I love that one and I don't care if I have to change his armour to make it fit!
    MOTUC most wanted: Skelcons, Satma, Lord Masque, Vultak, Great Black Wizard, Slime Pit Bone Warrior, Horde Wraith, Red Knight, Beast Lord, Illumina, Catra Cat Form, Evil Seed 200X, Old Man Marzo 200X, Prahvus, King Miro, Hunga the Harpy, Skeletor's Robot Knights, Lady Slither, Lady Valtira

Quote Originally Posted by S'laargorath View Post
    Hmm, can you also offer the version before you reduced the fins? (Just put separate "version 1" and "version 2" pages on Shapeways)

I love that one and I don't care if I have to change his armour to make it fit!
    Yes I can certainly do that

Final version!

This is a beautiful work of art.

That being said it just confirms that I do not see a big enough difference between this and the merman head we have in Classics to warrant a new version.

Still, for those of you who seem to think it is, this is going to be perfect.

Thanks again! The overall shape of the Filmation head differs a lot from the classics version I think. The only thing that is somewhat alike are the eyes. But everone have their opinion about what a "big difference" is Its all in the details for me.

Please remember, everyone, that the Customs forum is for showcasing your creations, not for buying/selling offers. Those have to be kept in the Marketplace.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Ok this is final FINAL and awaiting to get 3d printed(In color to match the classics figure). I changed the gills a bit:

This is great! The Filmation version is actually quite good. The toy version of Mer-Man looked more evil than the original 8-back design, but they short-changed the head fins by not bringing them out enough. The Filmation version is kind of like the toy version on steroids.
    By the ancients!!!

Master of World Variants JOAH-MAN's Avatar
    Very cool! Would you consider making a version of this with the rubber post bottom for an original 80's Merman? Beyond that... would be awesome to have a whole set of original 80's figures with Filmation heads.... Merman, Beastman, Skeletor, Hordak, etc....

Cool idea! I'll look into that

This is how the printed head tuned out

Really good! But... I want Leech head!!!!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC
    ----------------------------------------------------

Looking good, can't wait to see it painted
    By the ancients!!!

Excellent! Z-Brush by chance? or are you using something else?
    Last edited by Jii Dee; July 17, 2014 at 10:37am.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Looks great!
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

This is looking great! Are you planning to make it available for sale?
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Mermista, Peekablue
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation:Lizard Man, Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    Excellent! Z-Brush by chance? or are you using something else?
    Thanks! Im using the free program Sculptris