View Poll Results: Would you be interested in MOTU:GOLD starting in 2016?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 6.12%
  • Maybe (explain in the comments please)

15 15.31%
  • No

77 78.57%
  • Other (explain in the comments please)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU: GOLD - My proposal for what Matty should do starting in 2016.

MOTU: GOLD - My proposal for what Matty should do starting in 2016.

Alright, community, here's my proposal: Masters of the Universe GOLD

$60 per figure. 1 release per month. No quarterlies or exclusives, just 12 a year. Same scale as MOTUC. 100% compatible.

First figure - He-Man: $60. He comes with 4 heads (Classic, Adam, NA, and alternate expression classic), 3 sets of hands. All of the parts necessary to turn him into Oola, Adam, NA He-Man, and Battle-Armour He-Man. 4-6 weapons. Cardboard reversible diorama insert with the Eternian throne room on one side, and Eternian wilderness on the other. Comes with at least the articulation of MOTUC figures, and possibly more.

Second figure - Sorceress: $60 comes with 3 heads (classic, 200X, and un-helmetted) all of the parts necessary to make the classic style Sorcess and 200X sorceress, Zoar, and her throne. Cardboard reversible diorama insert with 2 different scenes from inside CG. Cloth capes.

Third figure - 2-pack of Tuvar and Badrah: $60 comes with two complete figures of the two characters and their standard accessories. 2 sets of hands for each of them. 2 heads for each with different expressions. Cardboard reversible diorama insert.

Fourth figure - Shadow Weaver: $60 comes with cloth robe and...???

Fifth Figure - NA two-pack.

Etc.

These "Gold" versions of A-listers and the as yet unreleased MOTU characters would be a higher price point, aimed for an adult collector. They would not duplicate MOTUC but seek to kick its ass. They would do A-listers, inaccessible characters from MOTUC, and the deep Z-listers still left. The format would allow them to some months spend the whole budget on tricking out a single important character, and then other months include 2 vanilla Z-listers.

Would that interest you?
    Last edited by No-Ah; June 22, 2014 at 09:29pm.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I assume this is in the same scale as Classics?

Great ideas, only problem with that though is the price point as there would be people (per your first examples) who would want to display all incarnations of a He-Man, Sorceress, etc., which would mean pushing the $300+ mark and higher per month given shipping, taxes, and customs fees if buying multiples .

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    At that price point I would not be able to subscribe. I also don't want to start over with a new line or with drastic changes...such as the edition of cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    I assume this is in the same scale as Classics?

Great ideas, only problem with that though is the price point as there would be people (per your first examples) who would want to display all incarnations of a He-Man, Sorceress, etc., which would mean pushing the $300+ mark and higher per month given shipping, taxes, and customs fees if buying multiples .
    Yes, I would only be interested in the same scale and completely compatible with MOTUC. (I'll update that in the first post.)

Yeah, I would personally want to buy 4 of the He-Man Gold figure to have all 4 displayed at once. It would be an incentive to try to get people to grab at least a second sub to have options.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    At that price point I would not be able to subscribe. I also don't want to start over with a new line or with drastic changes...such as the edition of cloth.
    Yeah, it would not be the same as MOTUC. But plenty of people buy the Godzilla SH Monsterarts figures which all cost at least $60, if not 150-200. But at the same time, there would be fewer releases a year.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

I wouldn't be interested. It might be something for people who don't have the figures, but I don't see many people buying the He-man since many people already have every version. I'd probably be interested in the new figures like Tuvar/Badrah pack and the NA pack (if they're new characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I wouldn't be interested. It might be something for people who don't have the figures, but I don't see many people buying the He-man since many people already have every version. I'd probably be interested in the new figures like Tuvar/Badrah pack and the NA pack (if they're new characters).
    My thought is that not everyone in the world has a He-Man. I imagine that the whole reason to do a re-branding at all is the hope that you hope you will bring in some new blood. So, you appeal to new customers with A-list characters. And at the same time you attempt to appeal to the die-hards by giving them something BETTER than they've had before. It's nothing but pure fact that MOTUC 2016 is off the table, so you can be sure the return of the A-list is coming, however they choose to do it.

Of course, Matty needs to do something to improve their marketing one way or another to sell any new branding, but that's not the topic for this thread.

Not for me.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

At $60, they need to be pretty high-quality, liek around the level of those expensive Japanese figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    At $60, they need to be pretty high-quality, liek around the level of those expensive Japanese figures.
    How about a sorceress with 3 head sculpts, 2 cloth capes, and her throne?

Or a He-Man with 4 heads and all the parts needed to fully recreate 4 of his looks?

A lot is going to depend on the sculpting and articulation for the figures - like, they might have to break with the mOTU tradition of reusing everything, you know? And that articulation is going to have to be really good.

A lot is going to depend on the sculpting and articulation for the figures - like, they might have to break with the mOTU tradition of reusing everything, you know? And that articulation is going to have to be really good.
    What you're describing is what I'm imagining. It's all theoretical (I don't have the prototypes! ) But I am imagining a true deluxe-level re-imagining of the most important characters, while continuing to release more of the Z-list. Ideally, that new He-Man would be so good that you wouldn't want to display your old one anymore.
    Last edited by No-Ah; June 22, 2014 at 09:56pm.

Not into the 'high-end' or boutique type figures. I like toys to be toys.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Revoltech MOTU...PASS.

Too expensive and IMO not worth the money. I'd be buying $60 figures that came with a bunch of stuff I would likely never use. If I actually did want to make a standard He-Man and one of his other versions at the same time, I'd have to plunk down $120. That's ridiculous. I'd rather have a regular figure and an expansion pack for the extras.

I have slooooowly but suuuurely been collecting Revoltech Fist of the North Star figures.

Too slowly, because they appreciated in price so much that YIKES WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

So basically, Revoltech or Figuarts level?
    Well, I'm not brand manager. But I theoretically price these things at $60 hoping to get a package worth $60. They would have to be a step up from MOTUC, otherwise what's the point? In the case of The Sorceress, what would her throne be worth? Even as a single piece of plastic, I have to think I'm pushing it to get her and the accessories and the throne within budget. He-Man with multiple hands, multiple heads with different expressions?

Maybe if these things were at Monsterarts level we would not be able to get them at $60. But I can imagine a solid step up in quality and then including a boatload of accessories to make them well worth the money.

I guess the goal with them would have to be to make the deluxe versions sweet enough that you won't want to display the MOTUC version anymore.

Now, I know there are MANY people out there on this forum who simply do not under any circumstances want a new version of any character ever already done by MOTUC. We've been over this. I get it. But that time is ending. MOTUC will be over in 18 months and the time will be coming to make the A-list again. I'm suggesting a way we could do it which would maybe appeal to both new fans and the old die-hards. But if any of you think simply not doing new versions of the characters you've got is an option going forward.... I believe you're mistaken.

You want more Z-listers? One way or another, the only way they will be made is paired with the A-listers again.

- - - Updated - - -

I have slooooowly but suuuurely been collecting Revoltech Fist of the North Star figures.

Too slowly, because they appreciated in price so much that YIKES WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/...17d83f2f08.jpg
    Oh, that's sweet!

I got my first Monsterarts Godzilla this week. I'm AMAZED at what Bandai can do with $62. You might say that's where this idea comes from.
    Last edited by No-Ah; June 22, 2014 at 10:21pm.

My only complaint about that figure is, he's in a TRUE 6-inch scale, so he's shorter than everything MOTUC. Otherwise, Uighur would be perfect in that line.

Here, review from way back when: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_030211d.htm

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Nope, not interested.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Wow. I'm getting my ass handed to me on this poll. What's the main issue? Is it not wanting new versions of characters you've already got? The price point? Or maybe just wanting out from Matty when MOTUC ends? Most of my Nos aren't commenting.

I'm ultimately a yes... but $60 monthly is pretty rough.

I'm ultimately a yes... but $60 monthly is pretty rough.
    Thanks. It might just be you and me then! LOL

I buy 2 subs currently, so that's just under the $60 price tag. Plus I buy SSC SW figures and random stuff, so $60 on a more deluxe MOTU figure doesn't seem out of the ballpark for me - as long as I got my money's worth.

I wonder what portion of the people here ONLY buy the MOTUC sub. For a lot of them $60 might seem incredibly expensive.

Nice review!

Pass for me. I'm hoping for a scaled back sub (6-8 figures a year, a beast or two, maybe a large scale item such as a vehicle or multipack).
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Thanks. It might just be you and me then! LOL

I buy 2 subs currently, so that's just under the $60 price tag. Plus I buy SSC SW figures and random stuff, so $60 on a more deluxe MOTU figure doesn't seem out of the ballpark for me - as long as I got my money's worth.

I wonder what portion of the people here ONLY buy the MOTUC sub. For a lot of them $60 might seem incredibly expensive.

Nice review!
    Hey, thanks! It's one of my older reviews - I was using natural daylight for the lighting, still figuring out how to photograph... I think that was the first one with a black backdrop.

EVIL TRENTONIAN
    Maybe in a year or two. But not run by Mattycollector, no Digital River and a different Senior Brand manager.

Every month seems a bit much, 45 days or more would be better.

Maybe...

I will support any MOTUC style figures to the best of my ability. At 60 a pop, I'd rather 4 a year at most.
    I also would rather have multiple figures than multiple display options. These really expensive dolls figures toys, like these 12 inch guys other companies make, with the multiple hands, faces, clothes, ect...I dont want to have to buy multiple figures of the same figure to make the different looks. I could accept it. Rather wouldnt.

Obviously I got 2 Trap Jaws, 2 Marlenas, 2 sets of Snakemen & Guard. Will get 2 more Vykrons. But then that's the problem. Maybe it shouldnt matter, but I hate how the second set of stuff just rots. I'd rather a dedicated fig.

But conceptually I support nearly anything that keeps MOtUC style figures coming.

I cannot stress enough however that no more than 4 at this price point.