Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Casting - My First TALLSTAR Parts

Pressure Casting - My First TALLSTAR Parts

As some of you may know, I've been working hard to learn how to cast my own parts. Well, I'm set up and have all the tools at my disposal to do just that and finally got to cast my first Tallstar test pieces in resin. (This is very time consuming and draining tbh..lol) These darker purple pieces (shoulder and neck) are approx. 80% opaque and 20% translucent. Over the next few days I'm going to experimenting with various shades of purple and translucency levels. As of right now there's still work to be done on these pieces, though. I have to drill out the hole/connector area on the shoulder where the sprue (fill hole) was attached and sand the top of the neck piece, for example. These pieces are a bit more rigid then the originals, so I may also have to play around with resin mix levels to achieve the desired hardness/softness level when I get around to attaching the circular joint thingy.

Anyhow, I hope the color levels show up properly on your guys' end. I'm using my iPhone.

(straight-on shot.)

(angle shot. The shoulder looks misshapen in this pic, but it's actually not. Just the translucency playing trics.)

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Court Magician
    First casts? Awesome work!

seemingly nice work. What's the point of these?

Wow!! They look great so far. I'm guessing you will be trying to make a vintage prototype toy inspired custom.

Heroic Warrior
    Good for you man! Mattel won't give you what you want so you are making it yourself!

Mad props!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Embry View Post
    First casts? Awesome work!
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    seemingly nice work. What's the point of these?
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Wow!! They look great so far. I'm guessing you will be trying to make a vintage prototype toy inspired custom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grepicon View Post
    Good for you man! Mattel won't give you what you want so you are making it yourself!

Mad props!
    Thank you. Yes, I'm making the prototype version of Tallstar from the American catalog. (But I will probably end up making my own/other versions as well) If all goes well and I have a decent end result on Tallstar (fingers crossed) then I will try to do translucent/transparent red Jewelstar.

Snappy Threader
    Looks real good Tallstar. Always been one of my favorite POP characters....I can't wait to see updates to your work.

Heroic Warrior
    Good for you, hopefully you can make a figure that you will be pleased with.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Congrats, they look good.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Fantastic work! It looks like you are off to a great start
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well done: it's a great result, doesn't look like a first time.

looking forward for more updates.

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    Awesome Tally! Can't wait to see the finished product! G'luck hun, Fingers crossed!
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

Thanks for the kind words, folks! This past Saturday I finished the mold for Tallstar's chest (it took me around 2 hours to separate the original piece for molding!...such a pain) then soon after I cast my first chest piece. The color came out darker then I was anticipating, leaning more toward dark grey than silver. Also, this morning I removed a clear/transparent one with extremely fine sparkle/glitter to it (not sure if it will show up on camera) and have a mid-range silver w/sparkle in the pressure pot at the moment. Since I have no way of doing vac-metal, I'm sort of in the 'experimental phase' right now to see what I can do in place of the vac-metal. I will be doing various shades in between and experimenting with pearlized versions and metallic powders until I'm satisfied. When my 3rd one is ready later this afternoon I will try to post of picture of them together.

I'm starting to feel hopeful that I can actually do this. The molding / casting part really isn't TOO difficult (just tedious work involving a lot of set up); it's the whole trying to find the right colors/shades that is frustrating. Plus, I know I'm going to struggle doing some of the paint apps later (like the star on the chest) because I suck at that. Oh, and actually putting together the joints!

Anyhoo...no promises, but when I eventually get this finished in a few months I may be willing to make a handful of extra Tallstars for the hardcore prototype fans (for free) if I think the end result looks decent.

EDIT:

I guess I will post pics of progressively darker chest pieces throughout the day while I'm waiting on my 3rd chest piece to finish curing. This one is clear/translucent with sparkles mixed in the plastic. The shoulder pieces are not attached to this. It's just a side-by-side to see how the colors go together. As you can see, some of the sprues are still attached to the bottom of the chest. (have to remove those)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I mentioned on Facebook how excited I was for this and how great the shoulders look. I JUST saw the chest picture and that looks SO AMAZING!!!! That's gorgeous, Tally.

Have you thought of trying to mold her like Extendar so it's possible for a waist extension piece in the future?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I mentioned on Facebook how excited I was for this and how great the shoulders look. I JUST saw the chest picture and that looks SO AMAZING!!!! That's gorgeous, Tally.

Have you thought of trying to mold her like Extendar so it's possible for a waist extension piece in the future?
    Aww, thanks.

I've thought about doing a waist extension, but it's sort of beyond my abilities at the moment

Here is my next piece. It was supposed to be a bright mid-range silver with sparkle, but it came out more of a very light smokey grey color. It seems to me that silver is sort of an unstable color when mixed with resin and then added to a silicone mold vs my test colors in a plastic cup. The test resin in the plastic cup came out the color that I wanted..lol

I think I'm going to refrain from posting my opaque grey version, even though the details of the sculpt are way more defined on that one. I photographed it and decided that I really don't like how I did that one. The pigment that I used had some shimmer to it, but when I cancelled out the translucency it also took away 95% of the shimmer. There are just a few dots on it now, which makes it look as though there's a defect in the mold/cast and there's not. heh

I like this thread...sort of shows if you don't get what you want (or know is right) then you just make your own! And if this is your first time with this process and you're already getting results then that just encourages more people to try this. Looking forward to more pics and wips
    He-Man & She-Ra Stop Motion Video - Princess Adora's New Internet Song - now online on Youtube

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see how she turns out.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Lodar, Hunga the Harpy & Sharella

Filmation ruined my He-Man!

These will be my last pics of custom Tallstar parts for awhile. I need a rest...lol I made these today. The chest is a very light grey with extremely light sparkle. It's almost completely opaque. I also darkened the purple on the shoulders and neck. They are completely opaque now.

can you post some pics of your setup? Those pieces are looking pretty amazing.

Widget
    I'm inspired. Been wanting to do this myself for a very long time now. Looking forward to more progress pics and the final reveal

So my first experiment with Cold Casting metal (aluminum) on Tallstar's chest piece was a *partial* success. Since my mold for the chest is completely encased in silicone (as opposed to being a flat 1-piece mold) it was a little difficult trying to dust inside the mold with aluminum (the first step);I went a little overboard, which caused the chest piece to not come out fully formed. (You'll notice the missing chip on the one side) I see some trapped powder inside the mold, so I hope I didn't permanently ruin it. I would be so annoyed to have to start over with that whole process..lol

Other than that disappointment I'm pleased, because it seems I can get an actual metal effect. (because it is metal!) I did a quick 5 minutes of buffing with fine steel wool. (missed a spot) I know I can get it shinier than what is shown here, but I don't want to spend too much time on this defective piece. When I eventually have my final aluminum Tallstar chest piece, I think I'm going to have to spray it with clear semi-gloss paint at some point because apparently over time this WILL tarnish. heh

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    That's amazing looking! Very interesting. I never would have thought of actually using metal. I really, really like the glitter ones, but the final one is the definite winner, in my opinion. It's too bad you can't get the same colour/effect with plastic. A+ on colour and the details really stand out in the chest.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's amazing looking! Very interesting. I never would have thought of actually using metal. I really, really like the glitter ones, but the final one is the definite winner, in my opinion. It's too bad you can't get the same colour/effect with plastic. A+ on colour and the details really stand out in the chest.
    Thank you sir. To be more accurate, the chest piece is aluminum fused with resin.

Heroic Warrior
    These are all so awesome! Liked the infused chest piece but the first combo is by far my favorite. Have you seen the vac-metal finished spray paint at Wal-Mart? Might be worth looking into.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and original here

Quote Originally Posted by True Form View Post
    These are all so awesome! Liked the infused chest piece but the first combo is by far my favorite. Have you seen the vac-metal finished spray paint at Wal-Mart? Might be worth looking into.

Many years ago I did play around with metallic spray paints on a vintage Tallstar custom, but I found that the paint never seemed to fully dry on plastic. It was always in a semi-tacky state and the finish would dull out if I touched it. Not sure how it would react on an aluminum/resin piece.

Adam_Prince of Eternia recommended a company to me that does vac-metal, however, I kind of want to see how far I can take this project on my own and without having to invest tons of $ and potentially making this project super complicated. I kind of like that the metal is part of the actual mix, as opposed to being paint that could chip or get dulled out. One day, when I'm all finished with my projects I may look into the whole vac-metal thing/sending the part out to this company.

Anyhow, this chest piece is still pretty light-weight even though it's part aluminum. The resin gives it that plastic-y feel, but I can tell the surface is harder than normal when I drag my finger nail over it.

EDIT:

I figured out how to attach the articulation for the shoulders. They move! Also tested a new purple color for the clear chest piece.

Here's the new bright opaque purple shoulders for the clear chest piece. (which are now attached) You'll notice there's a flesh tone rectangular thingy inside the chest that wasn't there before. I still have to cast that piece in clear so it's not as noticeable, but basically it's a part that has ribbed sides that push against the discs of the shoulder articulation so they are tight. I also have to mold/cast those circular joint thingies in the appropriate color as well. Those are originals attached.

EDIT:

As per Darkspecter's request, here's a shot of the Tallstar chest pieces together from lightest to darkest. The third one is painted and clear-coated. (True Form, I took your suggestion.) It turned out beautiful, but the only thing that I don't like about that one is that the finish can be easily ruined if it gets scratched hard enough...even with the clear coat. (I tested on another piece) The fourth chest piece is a new aluminum/resin one that I corrected. (last one didn't come out fully formed) I have another chest piece with a silver color that's in between 2 and 3 (using a new method) but I don't like how it came out.