Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pressure Casting - My First TALLSTAR Parts

Sloooowly starting to get re-inspired to work on my Tallstar custom.

I wasn't planning on attempting a waist extension, but while at the hardware store earlier today I found a part that I think I can trim, add a plug/peg to and then re-mold/cast into a functional new part/extension that will bridge between Mermista's hip piece and Tallstar's chest piece. I've already been tinkering around with converting Tallstar's chest to be like Mermista's at the bottom with the plug. I actually think that will be fairly easy, surprisingly. I did a quick, rough convert and it works.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    It's awesome seeing new versions of the Star Sisters being made! I hope you do get a chance to make a better Jewelstar. That figure is so ugly I want to punch it in the face every time I look at it.

Awesome work Tally!

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I hope you do get a chance to make a better Jewelstar. That figure is so ugly I want to punch it in the face every time I look at it.

Awesome work Tally!
    That will (hopefully) be my next project after Tallstar.

I'm finished re-configuring the part I'm using for Tallstar's waist extension. (It has the plug and peg on it) All I have to do now is make a mold of it and cast a brand new part. Right now I'm working on Tallstar's boots. They are going to be a new design... A combination of Spinnerella's heeled boots and the American Tallstar prototype with the "connector" piece design.

I keep debating whether or not I should give her 200X-ish details.

EDIT:

My first test sample for Tallstar's waist extension, which is able to snap onto Mermista's hip piece. This is done in bright red translucent, but it's not the shade of red I will be using on the final product. It will be darker and possibly glitter-infused. The plug can be seen through the translucency (bottom-center), so that's why the last few ribbed extensions sort of look washed out. They're not actually like that in person. I'm not 100% satisfied with how this casting came out (there are some minor imperfections), so I will likely make a new mold at some point.

EDIT:

Extension with a burgundy paint spray over top the translucent red. I think I may go with this color.

EDIT:

These will be my last progress pics for at least a couple days, maybe longer. I'm still working on Tallstar's hair color. (As usual...lol I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. ) I think I like Mermista's face on Tallstar better than what she came with. I like the closed mouth and porcelain skin tone.

Comparison shot. (Just grabbed a random standard Tallstar pic off the net) One of these days I'm going to invest in a better quality camera.

One of my example pieces showing how the extension looks connected to Mermista's hip piece.

EDIT:

I wanted to do something to make custom Tallstar even more different than the original release, so I decided to try casting Netossa's hair in a dark raspberry red...just to experiment a bit. My patch job on the holes where Netossa's "wings" were turned out rougher out of the mold than expected (I have to sand them down a bit and maybe use some paint shading in that area), but I kind of like this hairstyle on Tallstar. Even though the wig doesn't have a side part, It reminds me of the huge/high 80's hair she had in the cartoon. Also have to work on making Mermista's face fit better in the wig. As always nothing in this pic is final...

And I know I keep saying this, but I'm still not totally satisfied with the hair color.

The waist extenuation is amazing!

I didnīt know i wanted it until you made it!

I donīt think Tallstar needs a new face or hair, her face is really beautiful and she has one of the most impressive sculpted hair in the line if you ask me. The only thing i would love to see are the shiny streaks the Star Sisters where suppose to come with.

But what ever you decide iīm sure in the end she will look breathtaking!!!!!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    The waist extenuation is amazing!

I didnīt know i wanted it until you made it!

I donīt think Tallstar needs a new face or hair, her face is really beautiful and she has one of the most impressive sculpted hair in the line if you ask me. The only thing i would love to see are the shiny streaks the Star Sisters where suppose to come with.

But what ever you decide iīm sure in the end she will look breathtaking!!!!!
    Thanks, Niki. Regarding the extension and hair/face, I will copy/paste what I said on Facebook about them:

The extension piece I am mostly happy with, although it's not a perfect fit when you see it in person. It's a perfect fit when attaching it to just the hip piece. The top of Tallstar's bikini bottom is oddly-shaped, so the extension piece is slightly wider and narrower when attached with the bikini bottom on. It still looks pretty good so I'm not gonna mess with it...lol Another thing about the extension... It takes A LOT of strength to remove it from the hip piece, since the resin is rigid and the plug doesn't have the slight flex of the original part inside of Mermista. It will probably loosen up a bit as it is removed and put back on multiple times. It won't be an issue when connecting it to the top half, because I'm using the original part inside of Tallstar's chest. That's another thing I have learned during this whole process... it's best to use original parts when/where possible.

I will make both versions of the hair, since I do love the hair on the original MOTUC figure, too...just wanted to try to do something different to see what it would look like. The Mermista face I definitely love way more on her. So, that's staying...LOL Just my personal preference. I like closed-mouth faces. Plus that and the skin tone are closer to the prototype, imo. To me, the original Tallstar face on the MOTUC figure has a slight tan complexion and some of her features are too "pinched" or angular looking in comparison, so the eyebrows on Mermista not matching doesn't really bug me. I also thought she might end up looking evil, but somehow with the softer facial structure, porcelain complexion and closed mouth she somehow reads as wise/thoughtful/goddess-like to me. lol!

Anyhow, how do you think I should approach the streaks in her hair (if I do them)? I'm not sure what to do. I don't want it to look tacky like I "drew" streaks on her hair. :hmlo;:

I always forget that Mermistas face looks weird when photographed but in reality is beautiful. I can see where you are coming from the opened mouths are not the best idea but still iīm a fan of Tallstars original face none the less

The streaks are easier to achieve in her original hair since her hair is parting above her left eye while Netossas hair is straight up and back. But i looked at my Tallstar and there are some streaks which would be ideal for that purpose.

I would choose lighter tone for those streaks and would apply four or so maybe five two to one side two the back and one on the other side to make it look natural
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post

I would choose lighter tone for those streaks and would apply four or so maybe five two to one side two the back and one on the other side to make it look natural
    Okidoke, I will give it a try. StreakS and shading on the hair and other parts of the body will be among the last things I do on this custom.

Here is the latest update on custom Tallstar:

First, please excuse the plastic bag in the pic. My hands are all silicone-y and gross and I don't have any gloves left.

Anyhow... I figured out a better way to do the elbows, forearms, hands, thighs and knees, so I made new molds for those. Elbows, forearms and hands are cast in a translucent red. Elbows will be painted purple to match the shoulder pieces. (long story why I'm doing it that way)

The thighs and knees are both cast in a dark purple. Unfortunately I lost my original color recipe. The color is different than what I had, originally. The right thigh came out with a little bit of a chip/flaw and I accidentally cast the upper part of the all-new boots in TOO DARK of a translucent red. I have to make new ones. I decided to forego infusing glitter in the resin, for now, because the pressure tank was causing it to all settle at the bottom of the pieces, despite using the finest grade glitter. Plus, it seemed like the glitter was blocking out a lot of the translucency. I kind of don't like the color I used on the ribbed knees...lol

^ okay, that shot? Gorgeous. I'm super-mega-ultra disappointed in the version we have now. :P

The Mermista face + Netossa hair combo looks really nice!

You are doing God's work.
    More Vintage NA for MOTUC in 2016!!
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Perfuma, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, Nocturna, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, Admiral Scurvy, Red Knight, Vultak, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    ^ okay, that shot? Gorgeous. I'm super-mega-ultra disappointed in the version we have now. :P

The Mermista face + Netossa hair combo looks really nice!

You are doing God's work.
    Why thank you very much.

*Shaking* I think I may have *finally* captured the hair color I wanted on Tallstar using Hydrospan in the non-expanded form instead of resin. (So now her hair is flexible instead of solid like the MOTUC wig) Hopefully on your end the color is close to how I'm seeing it...

Borderline between Red and Dark Magenta, without an orange-y or pink cast, but still vibrant. Could it finally be after so long? Anyhow, this will likely be my last stab as customizing for at least a few weeks. This is not at all a relaxing hobby for me. The very tip of the left side of her hair didn't come out fully formed, but **** it.