Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure Casting - My First TALLSTAR Parts

Fantastic, I applaud your efforts! Very good looking considering you are learning this as you progress.

How does one go about learning these techniques? Is there a book or recommended literature anywhere?

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Seeing your progress shots makes me feel like we really should have gotten more attention/better design choices for the Star Sisters. I can't wait to see more!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Amazing work!

I know that these will be more like the Star Sisters the fans deserved instead of what we were given by Matty.

You will have to sell some of these when you are done. The Star Sisters prototype picture is my computer wallpaper and my daughter asks me every day when those figures will be released. We both shed a tear each time.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I can't wait to see a finished one!
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Quote Originally Posted by Hsss View Post
    Fantastic, I applaud your efforts! Very good looking considering you are learning this as you progress.

How does one go about learning these techniques? Is there a book or recommended literature anywhere?
    Thank you very much. I will get back to you (and another person) via pm in about 2-3 days with instructions if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    Seeing your progress shots makes me feel like we really should have gotten more attention/better design choices for the Star Sisters. I can't wait to see more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Amazing work!

I know that these will be more like the Star Sisters the fans deserved instead of what we were given by Matty.

You will have to sell some of these when you are done. The Star Sisters prototype picture is my computer wallpaper and my daughter asks me every day when those figures will be released. We both shed a tear each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    I can't wait to see a finished one!
    T.Y.

Next update...

Sneak peek of semi-transparent red-haired Tallstar with the silver chest piece that was painted. Something went wrong with my hair mold on the reverse side, so unfortunately I may have to start over on that. *sniff* I'm testing the mold again with a clear wig to see if the issue happens again. Still not satisfied with this shade of red. Will continue working on it. Thought I'd share.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Widget
    The translucent hair is a brilliant idea!! I wouldn't have thought of that!! So looking forward to seeing her complete!!

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Nice update! Looks amazing even if it isn't the shade you were quite looking for. The translucent hair is a great idea since the hair won't be quite like the original prototype any way.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Glad you folks are digging her so far. I have to say that this project has been highly emotional and so time consuming. I've gone from being ecstatic and motivated when I have moments where I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and glimpses of what I want to see in a Tallstar figure, to extremely depressed and wanting to quit because a mold/cast didn't come out right, I can't seem to get a color just right, I later realize I didn't do something perfectly and how much work I have ahead of me etc. It doesn't help that the mold rubber and resin/liquid plastic is kinda pricey. Every mistake is like flushing money down the toilet. But I guess that's part of the learning process.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    That is a good attitude to take. Each attempt teaches you something. And honestly looking at what you have posted so far it looks really good! That translucent hair is AMAZING! It is one of those things that I had never thought about, but now that I have seen it, wow!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Thank you very much. I will get back to you (and another person) via pm in about 2-3 days with instructions if you want them.

T.Y.

Next update...

Sneak peek of semi-transparent red-haired Tallstar with the silver chest piece that was painted. Something went wrong with my hair mold on the reverse side, so unfortunately I may have to start over on that. *sniff* I'm testing the mold again with a clear wig to see if the issue happens again. Still not satisfied with this shade of red. Will continue working on it. Thought I'd share.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps909da295.jpg
    Holy Crap!!! That looks amazing! I am super jelly.

That's it, I'm coming over so you can teach me how to do this I still don't get why Mattel didn't choose the prototype colors/design. That was a huge mistake on their part.

Great job, can't wait to see the final figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    That is a good attitude to take. Each attempt teaches you something. And honestly looking at what you have posted so far it looks really good! That translucent hair is AMAZING! It is one of those things that I had never thought about, but now that I have seen it, wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Holy Crap!!! That looks amazing! I am super jelly.

That's it, I'm coming over so you can teach me how to do this I still don't get why Mattel didn't choose the prototype colors/design. That was a huge mistake on their part.

Great job, can't wait to see the final figure.
    *hugs*

New purple color experiment for Tallstar's shoulders, biceps and thighs. (the one arm looks lighter purple than the rest because of the way the light is hitting it. True color is closer to thighs.)

None of this is "structurally sound" just yet. I thought I had a grasp on how to attach the shoulder and thigh articulation, but I realized I could be doing a way better job on those and need more practice/to learn more about how to do them better. So what I decided to do in the mean time is cast some of the parts with the articulation "fused" (i.e. elbows) to speed things up and give me some much needed motivation. (a rough 'completed' figure will do that for me...lol) And this way I can get an idea of what I want to do with the overall colors/color breaks, first. I will go back at a later point to try to correct the articulation. Also, I realized that I'm going to have to cut the ball joint on the neck off, drill out a hole and use the original part to strengthen it 'cause the casted part's neck knob obviously doesn't extend into the neck, making it somewhat weaker.

I also want to lighten the red on the forearm and hand and make them a bit more translucent. Hopefully you folks can see that they're glitter-infused on your end.

Widget
    Looking great!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As some of you may know, I've been working hard to learn how to cast my own parts. Well, I'm set up and have all the tools at my disposal to do just that and finally got to cast my first Tallstar test pieces in resin. (This is very time consuming and draining tbh..lol) These darker purple pieces (shoulder and neck) are approx. 80% opaque and 20% translucent. Over the next few days I'm going to experimenting with various shades of purple and translucency levels. As of right now there's still work to be done on these pieces, though. I have to drill out the hole/connector area on the shoulder where the sprue (fill hole) was attached and sand the top of the neck piece, for example. These pieces are a bit more rigid then the originals, so I may also have to play around with resin mix levels to achieve the desired hardness/softness level when I get around to attaching the circular joint thingy.

Anyhow, I hope the color levels show up properly on your guys' end. I'm using my iPhone.

(straight-on shot.)

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9371fef4.jpg

(angle shot. The shoulder looks misshapen in this pic, but it's actually not. Just the translucency playing trics.)

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00756d93.jpg
    I am both so damn proud of you and jealous lol

WOW!!!! These are seriously so amazing. I love all the details on the different colors and materials. The finished figure is going to be incredible!

Looking good I think we know what your new avatar will be eventually

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    these r fantastic!

what plastic do u recommend buying.
    Ive had bad luck. the plastic Ive bought is to brittle & hard.
    I been attempting to make capes, loin cloths & basic body parts.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

<3 @ the most recent comments. Thanks, folks.

I ended up taking a long-ass break on this project because I was getting way too stressed out trying to achieve what I want with Tallstar... but I'm back at it again for a bit. Anyhoo, one of my goals was to try to create a solid colored wig in resin in a very specific color, although I've been having much difficulty trying to capture that color. I'm beginning to think this color exists only in my mind. Basically what I want is a super concentrated vibrant magenta that is so close to the border of red that it no longer reads as pink or magenta in any light setting. But it's not quite true red, either. I hope that makes sense. (Maybe dark raspberry-red is the proper way to explain it?) I think I'm only about 80-85% to where I want to be with the wig in this particular post.

This solid (non-translucent) Tallstar hair color is actually a vibrant reddish-magenta in standard lighting/in person, leaning toward red, though there's an obvious dark magenta-pink cast to it when held up to a light source. (which is the case with this pic) I think I need to darken it maybe like 3 shades to strike the perfect balance that I want, so that is doesn't read as pink or a true red in any setting. Not sure if that will work. Not sure if I even know what I'm doing...LOL There's another wig that I have in solid that doesn't have a pink cast, but that one is way too dark red imo.

The standard Tallstar on the right is just a pic I grabbed from Google for comparison.

btw, some of the resin colorants I'm using have fluorescence in them so those parts should be able to glow under ultra-violet/black light. I've not yet tested it. heh

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    these r fantastic!

what plastic do u recommend buying.
    Ive had bad luck. the plastic Ive bought is to brittle & hard.
    I been attempting to make capes, loin cloths & basic body parts.
    My pieces are somewhat rigid as well. I'm afraid I'm still too new at this process to give any good advice on that topic. :/
    Last edited by Tallstar; September 20, 2014 at 07:41am.

Court Magician
    This has been my pipe dream project for a long time. Congrats on giving it a go, the results are amazing so far! My only suggestion is to try the lower arm and hand in a lighter translucent red to simulate a glowing effect . Love the metallic cast on the torso. It seems like I've seen some kind of craft paper to you can apply to surfaces to simulate vac metal too like the proto but all the ones you have done look awesome ! Pleads make extras I will buy one !

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    WOW Beautiful!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

I didn't think it was worth making a new thread for this...

Translucent shield test in light orange for Halloween. It came out a bit rough on the one side ("flashing" that needs to be trimmed away).

Court Magician
    The shield is awesome ! Hope you make shields for all the Star Sisters (not to mention the other pop girls who didn't get one )

First time I am posting, but I have been keeping up with this thread and I have to say that I am VERY impressed with all that you have accomplished Tallstar. Looks GREAT!!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.