Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbarian He-Man Thread ( Official Oo-Larr )

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    So the time of the other barbarian He-Man was The Wun-Dar Years?

Oo-Larr is a fitting last exclusive, being basically the first He-Man incarnation in the minis. A simple figure, but it looks really good.
    Let's say that Wun-Dar is a bit more distinctive as a figure(and he lived also much earlier than the Classic He-Man if my memory doesn't fail me) so he could stand as his own character. In my canon Oo-Lar's years is the period of Adam's life as an amnesiac barbarian tribesman. Oo-Lar is how his tribe called him. Actually this is the personal attempt to shoehorn the Original with the later He-Man, without cancelling Adam out of existance.

Nice!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

We have asked
    We have chanted
    We have gotten
    What we wanted

"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    We have asked
    We have chanted
    We have gotten
    What we wanted

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd29faca1.jpg
    Man, this is the real He-Man in all his Barbarian glory. My two Classic He-Man figures are going to lose their....heads. From now on, one will have the Alcala, and the other the Vintage head.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar

....sounds better than the "bread age"...

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I know not many will agree...but between Oo-Lar and the Alcala Skeletor head, I have the He-Man and Skeletor that I've wanted since this line started in 2008!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I know not many will agree...but between Oo-Lar and the Alcala Skeletor head, I have the He-Man and Skeletor that I've wanted since this line started in 2008!
    Damn real. I've been wanting those versions since 1982! Blonde Teela and Blue Mer-Man as well!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

What is the appeal of OO-Larr?

Let me first say that I am not starting this thread to start an argument or question people's right to like or dislike this figure so with that being said I am trying to figure out what is so special about this character that aside from historic reason's people want him so much.I have looked at every photo I can find of this figure and I just can't see what is so great.I can usually find something positive about a figure,even one I hate but I just can't find anything I like about this figure and on top of that I don't think he looks that similar to the art he's based on. I mean if they can make Vikor look like he just jumped out of the old art drawings why can't they make this guy? Anyone that can help me understand what I'm missing I would appreciate the help because I just don't see it...sorry.
    Last edited by Skeledor; July 29, 2014 at 07:01pm.

For me it's mostly the heads, especially the vintage toy head. But it will also be cool to pose him next to Goddess to recreate that first mini comic.

The long-haired head looks very similar to the Alcala art, although in most of those illustrations he's not showing his teeth
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I've never seen the big deal with him, just He-man more naked than usual lol. What makes the figure for me is the vintage style head he comes with. It'll actually take some getting used to seeing He-man with that head again.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I like him because you don't.

Kidding aside, they couldn't have had his headsculpt an exact representation of the Alcala He-Man because he wouldn't have sclera. It's a lot easier to make an Alcala Skeletor because it's not a human face they are recreating.

Aside from the head, it is exactly what it needed to be for the very first character we have ever seen in MOTU fiction. And therein lies the crux of it. He was the start. He was the Alpha of the MOTU universe. That means everything to a lot of us.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    Let me first say that I am not starting this thread to start an argument or question people's right to like or dislike this figure so with that being said I am trying to figure out what is so special about this character that aside from historic reason's people want him so much.I have looked at every photo I can find of this figure and I just can't see what is so great.I can usually find something positive about a figure,even one I hate but I just can't find anything I like about this figure and on top of that I don't think he looks that similar to the art he's based on. I mean if they can make Vikor look like he just jumped out of the old art drawings why can't they make this guy? Anyone that can help me understand what I'm missing I would appreciate the help because I just don't see it...sorry.
    #1 He IS the way He-Man looked in his first ever appearance and we have waited since 1982 to be able to display him this way.

#2 Filmation ruined He-Man. No, really. I get it now. As an adult, I sat down with the boxed set, watched every single episode (could only barely stomach the first 3 of NA though, it was sooo wreteched) and loved them. But as I kid, I hated the cartoon. It ruined the He-Man story I had been enjoying for 2 years. Suddenly they had to create this Orko character for little kids and a Clark-Kent rip off, in Adam, who represented everything He-Man was not.

Oo-Larr is the return of the original vision of He-Man. Ask me in 1984 and I'd tell you that the cartoon He-Man was for babies....

Also, he looks like a really cool figure.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    #1 He IS the way He-Man looked in his first ever appearance and we have waited since 1982 to be able to display him this way.

#2 Filmation ruined He-Man. No, really. I get it now. As an adult, I sat down with the boxed set, watched every single episode (could only barely stomach the first 3 of NA though, it was sooo wreteched) and loved them. But as I kid, I hated the cartoon. It ruined the He-Man story I had been enjoying for 2 years. Suddenly they had to create this Orko character for little kids and a Clark-Kent rip off, in Adam, who represented everything He-Man was not.

Oo-Larr is the return of the original vision of He-Man. Ask me in 1984 and I'd tell you that the cartoon He-Man was for babies....

Also, he looks like a really cool figure.
    I guess that could be part of my problem with this character in that I grew up on the Filmation version of He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    -Because he represents the beginning of the MOTU franchise as a whole.
    -Because he is the symbol of an entire MOTU era before the Filmation cartoon.
    -Because he is THE He-Man.

I guess that could be part of my problem with this character in that I grew up on the Filmation version of He-Man.
    I'm sure that's 100% of it. For some of us, this is the REAL He-Man and the Filmation version was the watered-down take.

But maybe, you can put yourself in our shoes long enough to understand this is an incredibly important release for us.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Historic reasons are enough for a lot of us. This is a nostalgia fueled line after all.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

That's the key! See, I was born in 83, so He-Man was on his way out by the time I was old enough to remember the toon. I DO remember the toon...but it's mostly sounds and colors. The sound of He-Man hitting the ground and rolling, or laser blasts, or magic....THOSE are nostalgic! But the show itself doesn't do much for me now.

The show eventually got taken off the air, and I don't remember seeing many reruns. But the toys? They stick around! So I was a big time He-Man fan, but the only thing that was still around were the toys and minicomics. So imagine a childhood of flipping through those minicomics - over, and over, and over. You get a little older and you can read them. Older still, and you find yourself coming back to them to figure out the history of certain things. Before the internet, it was all I had!

So basically, minicomics are to me as Filmation is to you. Seeing that basic jungle He-Man is like a HUGE blast from the past.
    Last edited by Alexx; July 29, 2014 at 07:39pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I think for me it is that he seems important in the cannon they have created here, (yes there are some people who like the cannon of the bios!) or at least I presume he will be important. He represents the first He-man in terms of the story as well as a physical representation of the first drawings of him I saw. Plus I love the mini-comics and I think the execution of the figure is good... I love the two heads.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

I don't think he looks that similar to the art he's based on.
    How do you mean he doesn't look similar to the art he's based on ? I'd say the Horsemen absolutely nailed him, and my eternal thanks to them for accomplishing such a feat. He's glorious

"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I'm sure that's 100% of it. For some of us, this is the REAL He-Man and the Filmation version was the watered-down take.

But maybe, you can put yourself in our shoes long enough to understand this is an incredibly important release for us.
    Fair enough but are you happy with the figure that is being produced or is there something that needs to be done better because for me when I look at the art and then look at the figure something seems off.

Heroic Warrior
    I think people have a nostalgic connection to that look. He just looks old. No one really does that plain, barbarian thing anymore. Modern stuff tends to be over designed (think the New 52 DC comics)

I like him-- I don't feel any need to own him. I don't think he was an appropriate choice for this year given the limited amount of slots and copious amount of variants-- but he was also He-Man's first look, so in that regard it makes sense.

Fair enough but are you happy with the figure that is being produced or is there something that needs to be done better because for me when I look at the art and then look at the figure something seems off.
    I'm incredibly happy. I could have used some more accessories, but I don't even care. He looks amazing to me. It's finally the REAL He-Man!

Could say the same thing with many styles and characters.

While he is not my interpretation of He-Man I can understand why people want him as a historical or design choice. I'll be happy to add him to the He-Man variant section of my collection.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    For me it ties the story together. I grew up with the filmation version but also injoyed the mini comics. As a kid I always wondered why the comics were so different especially the older ones. This guy ties it all together nicely. Really I dont think the classics line would be complete without him. I would also like to see moonspinner.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    You had to have been there.

Oo-Larr is straight up, unadulterated, back in the day, original He-Man. His heads represent when He-Man was this fierce and determined barbarian. Some of us are Pre-Filmation fans and want that kind of representation for He-Man, as well as his "before he got his powers" look.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)