Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 125 Discussion! Important MOTUC 2015 sub info!!!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 125 Discussion! Important MOTUC 2015 sub info!!!

Episode 125 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, and Nate Baertsch are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

***Apologies for the audio quality. A lot of this episode was done over the phone.
    Pixel Dan couldn't make it due to prior family commitments.

In this episode they are joined by Scott Neitlich and Eric Treadaway to discuss
    the 2015 subscription sales,
    Scott going on vacation,
    subs re-opening on the weekend,
    why subs aren't pushed through at 90%,
    sub limits reached VS decline in sales,
    knowing what is coming VS surprises,
    lack of interest in final year characters,
    the future of figures already sculpted,
    subs VS day of sale,
    two week sale limits and storage,
    international shipping expense and pen pals,
    potential beyond 2015,
    more mini-comics,
    add-on mini-sub for 2015,
    MOTUC making history,
    MOTUC: a passion project,
    fear mongering,
    working with characters you don't want,
    rarity of 2015 vs early in the line,
    accusations,
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on August 22, 2014
    Runtime: 1 hours, 10 minutes, 02 seconds

Direct link for Episode 125

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Getting ready to listen...
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Why do I gotta be working when you post these, soooooooooooo can't wait to listen.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Hearing "if it doesn't make it by Sunday that's it" makes me cringe and ...

EDIT :- Oh he said Monday... Still - it makes me sad. It's like the realisation that it COULD end here

BUT IT WONT! Team positivity!!
    Last edited by Dayvid; August 23, 2014 at 08:57pm.

I'm pretty sure he meant to say Monday. But, even still, it's a cringe worthy sentiment IMO.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Listening now.

Gosh I hope the sub goes though.

I have never said or typed "gosh" before so you know I am serious.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant to say Monday. But, even still, it's a cringe worthy sentiment IMO.
    If we make it to 97% (like POP) and still they don't push it through (of course we'll never truly know that percentage if it doesn't)... there will definitely be rioting in the streets.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Just finished listening! Thanks for posting this!

A lot of good questions asked here. You can tell the passion in everyone's voice, especially Eric's and Danielle's. This is our last shot at getting a complete collection. There is no way we ever get the Masters of the Universe we know and love like this again, this deep into the line.

My question is still... we hit 96% what happens? If it ends that is BS.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Great episode! I'm surprised the episode was recorded yesterday and that Scott could join the cast again considering he's out of town. Packed full of good reasons to subscribe to 2015 Club Eternia before the sale ends Monday night.

I especially enjoyed talk about all the high tooling throughout next year's line, and it was important to note that the quantity of figures being produced in 2015 is the lowest amount since the line started back in 2008, which will be a huge help to fans worried that they will have a hard time selling any unwanted figures.

If 2015 does not happen, we now know that Mattel is planning a new mini sub for the fall that would not be offered, on top of the record year of vintage offerings, as well as next year's offerings on top of everything else we've already been previewed!

I want to thank JVS3 (Val Staples) for offering to reduce international shipping costs for fans by working as a third party to store and ship figures overseas!

I have access to a substantial amount of storage. If any international fans want to use me as a pen pal, if you all want to do your subs and have them sent to me, a specific address that I will give you, then I will be your pen pal. Just keep in mind that I am a very busy guy and if you do that to please have patience with me because it's not easy for me to ship things in a quick fashion. Just message me on He-Man.org, my username is JVS3, or E-mail me at jvs3@he-man.org. I'm not responsible for lost items, or damaged items. I will do my best to pack it. I'm not responsible for customs fees, anything like that. I do ship things oversees on a fairly regular basis. -Val Staples

2 mini comics come with the $60 in sub holiday item... sounds good!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    2 mini comics come with the $60 in sub holiday item... sounds good!!!
    How amazing would that be if the holiday item was a 2-pack of Laser Light Skeletor and Laser Power He-Man! Packed with not one but two mini comics drawn by Axel Giménez, written by Scott Neitlich, and now colored by Nate Baertsch (http://natebaertsch.deviantart.com/)!
    Last edited by AdultCollector; August 23, 2014 at 10:43pm.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    I think those of us who buy/sell already try our best to help international fans. The sellers I deal with sure work with me for shipping. What more can be done?

Considering the size of the international fan base (Germany, Australia, UK) you would think that a company with Mattel's resources would have worked that out reasonable shipping prices years ago. #Years
    Why is it still even an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    written by Scott Neitlich

Really?
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; August 23, 2014 at 10:53pm.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

How amazing would that be if the holiday item was a 2-pack of Laser Light Skeletor and Laser Power He-Man! Packed with not one but two mini comics drawn by Axel Giménez, written by Scott Neitlich, and now colored by Nate Baertsch (http://natebaertsch.deviantart.com/)!
    Yea... seriously... why is this still a question of happening... I hope everyone subs that did last year... cuz man, 2016 looks to be awesome as well. How can we let it go when we are so close!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post

Really?
    The first three mini comics gave credit to Scott for the story, and writing credit to Tim Seeley. The "Secret Origin of Skeletor!" comic has a DC Comics logo in the upper-left corner of the cover, not a Dark Horse Comics logo, and gives writing credit to Scott, with no mention of Tim.

This podcast was superb.

Highlights for those of you who do not have the time to listen:

The next 4 figures which are yet to be teased are rumored to be absolutely killer

There are possibilities for 2015 AND 2016- new and perhaps unanticipated product- if only we sell through 15

There are people willing to help those with concerns over shipping costs- especially international fans

Many '15 figures will enjoy a ton of new tooling

This 10% shortfall is no joke. It is needed to go forward and many were surprised at the lack of the historically heroic final day sub sales surge. It is up to us to pull this last year through.

We will likely never see a line like this ever again. So let's close the deal!!!

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Great job on a great podcast.

Toes crossed.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

I feel the same as Danielle in that it upsets me to think we could get this close to finishing the puzzle but be missing a few of the pieces to complete it. It's like running 25 miles of a marathon and then deciding not to bother doing the last mile....we can't quit so close to the finish line! I have added a 2nd sub for the 1st time ever and living in the UK it is already expensive, but i love this line and can't stand by and do nothing. Come on guys its only one more year! Lets do this together!
    Last edited by Joker CK; August 24, 2014 at 08:09am.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    The first three mini comics gave credit to Scott for the story, and writing credit to Tim Seeley. The "Secret Origin of Skeletor!" comic has a DC Comics logo in the upper-left corner of the cover, not a Dark Horse Comics logo, and gives writing credit to Scott, with no mention of Tim.
    That is because Tim only worked on the first three. After that (as much as Tim as a super awesome talented guy) it just became easier to go right to script vs having me write a story first, pass it to another writer to have him write a script based on my (Mattel's) approved story). It vecame one too many steps.

For issues 4-8 I did story and script, for 1-3 I did story with Tim doing script.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    That is because Tim only worked on the first three. After that (as much as Tim as a super awesome talented guy) it just became easier to go right to script vs having me write a story first, pass it to another writer to have him write a script based on my (Mattel's) approved story). It vecame one too many steps.
    For issues 4-8 I did story and script, for 1-3 I did story with Tim doing script.
    Thank you for clarifying this Scott!

I LOOOVE Roast Gooble Dinner!!! I look forward to listening!!!
    Manny
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Thanks all you guys and to Val for putting RGD together and even more so in an emergency situation, must be hard long work.
    Loved everyone's input and honest opinions.
    2nd sub got here against my better judgment , but we need this line to be completed and continued.
    Anyone who can sub or buy a second sub do so, its our last chance.

The comment about the extra mile Brandon goes with engineering versus what we have had is amazing in itself. Transparent webbing on Lizardman's hands? COOL. If people could only fathom the difference this next year's design improvements are going to make.....I SO want the Laser figures!!! Brandon needs to make these two glorious!! These two are the most sought after variants in this line, especially since the majority of us could not vintage versions. I cant mortgage my house for two figures!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I kinda came away from listening to this a little bit more frustrated if anything. One point that irked me a little was when someone commented about the figures you don't want and casually stated "Just sell the ones you don't want" as though it's that EASY! Has this person looked at the prices some of these are selling at on ebay.com? (this doesn't effect me personally as such being in the UK as the eBay market here is less swamped)

I'm a bit disapointed Scott wasn't challenged with a few questions that relate to why I feel the sub is struggling, such as:

1/Why more vintage wasn't previewed at SDCC, when the whole point was to finish the vintage lines! Why no Sssqueeze, Queen Angella, Dragstor or Multi-Bot? Yes we know they are coming, but folks like to know how they will be designed since certain characters had different looks across different media.

2/Why not make day of sales more limited to encourage sub sales? If the 100% sub target is needed to push things forward then why can't they make much less for day of sales? Folks are buying multiple subs to push the line forward and then end up selling half their figures below cost because cherry pickers go to the Matty day of. It seems VERY unfair to those that made a huge commitment (again I'm not saying this for myself because I only bought 1 sub for 2015 and won't be adding anymore) There is also the fact a lot of folks think it would be cool to add the 2-3 characters they want to their collection but don't feel a $570 sub is worth it to get them. Yes it's true they won't get them anyway if the sub doesn't make it, but many of those folks are of the mindset that if they get made cool! and if not well they are happy with what they did get. So cherry picking is the easy option and I don't blame them for taking it if day of will be plentiful like it has been in 2014.

3/Variants. I would have liked to have known the 4H guys take (and maybe Scott too) on how they would make these cool enough for folks to want them. Repaints with new armour and accessories won't cut it. For example I'd hope that Terror Claws Skeletor might come with a Filmation Skeletor head. I think the threat of the variants is what is putting a lot of potential subscribers off.

As for the international shipping issue, I'm not sure what exactly can be done to be honest. Now that Matty offer the quarterly option, I'm not convinced having your stuff shipped to a US friend and then on to you will be that much cheaper. I did this in 2013 (thanks to Markatisu!) and I did save about $100 over the whole year if I remember correctly, mainly down to avoiding customs fees. However that was before Matty offered quarterly shipping and I now use the quarterly DHL option, which is slightly cheaper in the long run (including customs fees added on) compared to what I was paying in 2013. I think the amount anyone would save would be very small compared to the price you would pay having your stuff shipped quarterly direct from Matty. You'd also have the peace of mind that if it got lost it would get replaced/refunded. It's very kind of folks to offer to help though.

Apologies for the nitpicks above, it was just my thoughts I've had since hearing this and hopefully it gives a bit more insight on why folks might not have jumped on board.

Anyway doing the podcast at such short notice is much appreciated and fingers crossed we get good news tomorrow!
    Last edited by blackiecats; August 24, 2014 at 11:35am.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.