Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gwildor Arrival

Heroic Warrior Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    Billy Barty's mom always complained about how detailed her son's sculpt was and how lousy the factory painted his eyes.
    Motu short short stories.

Motu Mini-comic

Public service announcement: Use of the term muppet head to describe any vintage head is not an insult, because muppets are awesome, and you're wrong. We now return you to your regularly scheduled something something.

If yours doesn't have a lazy eye, I'd suggest calling Customer Service and arranging a replacement.

Gwildor finally arrived! Had to repaint the cosmic key to be more movie accurate though :P (I cut the handle also)
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Melaktha, Kittrina, King Helios, Colossor, Zilora, Dragoon

Great seeing him standing with other figures in the pic above. As much as I love this guy, I can see why people are annoyed at the price considering how small he is.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    It's not so much the hyper detail that raises the price, but the fact that there is pretty much NOTHING reusable about the sculpt. At least with Orko, they could reuse most of him to give us other Trollans from the cartoon... But Gwildor truly is one of a kind.
    I don't know about others, but I am certainly not complaining about his hyper detail. But using it as an excuse for $35.00 price point ? I am totally against it !!!

Like MGM said, we have seen quite a few non reused 100% tooled figures in the past...... Lets not forget Shadow Weaver is 99% newly tooled figure & she was only sold (as sub exclusive) for $20.00 !!
    Last edited by TUC138; December 20, 2014 at 12:52pm.
    Looking For Super 7's Club Grayskull Wave 1 Figures (Hordak, Teela, Man-At-Arms & Tri-Klops) !

He looks like he belongs on Willow, or somewhere in Middle Earth(LOTR), but I am glad to have him finally. He will be the sidekick to The Mighty Spector, and a buddy of Orko and Cringer for a lttle wackiness.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I don't have him yet, but I know I will love him. The photos look great, and I LOVED Gwildor in the movie. I don't care what anyone says! Lol.

As far as "fitting in"... I am not worried. But then again, I have never felt that any of the figures in this line don't fit in in some way. I like the diversity in the line, and when you have a world that has a giant crab man and a giant bee man...a robe with a bit of detail isn't a big deal to me, lol.

As far as the whole "Classiciser machine"...I do think that was a term used to help justify the lack of 200X elements. After Whiplash came with a 200X head, some fans wanted more figures to include them. Grizzlor was even shown with a alternate face. Now I do think that it was someone above Toyguru (the illusive "management" he speaks of) that didn't want 200X elements included. I think that personally, Scott is much more of a 200X fan than a Filmation fan, just from comments I have read. I could be wrong.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Sy-Klone, for example, does not even look like he's from the same line as Gwildor
    Be fair, neither does the original.

The only complaint I have against Gwildor is the stone on top of his staff.He looks like he's getting ready to roast a hotdog over an open fire.As for him not fitting in aesthetically with other figures I don't agree because none of these figures fit in with each other.That's the whole reason I love this line because everyone is different and it breaks up the monotony.

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    I don't know about others, but I am certainly not complaining about his hyper detail. But using it as an excuse for $35.00 price point ? I am totally against it !!!
    I love the figure and the character....but even I agree that the price is ludicrous considering Mantenna was 95% newly tooled and he was only a standard figure. I think his price was inflated just cause he was the Holiday Item. Mattel wanted to max out the slots.

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    I don't know about others, but I am certainly not complaining about his hyper detail. But using it as an excuse for $35.00 price point ? I am totally against it !!!!
    I love the character, and I love the figure - great sculpt, paint and accessories... but I totally agree here. There is no reason that this figure should cost $35. I thought that Lubic was going to be packaged underneath Gwildor (ala Adam & Orko) when I saw this price tag!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Got my Gwildor figure! To get this part out of the way…the styling of the figure…
    who cares? Some figures have more detail than others. And, while this is a fantasy line, people in real life don't always have the same level of detail in their clothing as the person next to them. Plus, all these characters are from different planets, with different cultures. Their clothing IS going to be different. As far as the detail in his face, HE'S OLD.

Now…the figure. He's fantastic. Beautifully painted. He really does look like the actor! I love his accessories…the larger Cosmic Key is nice and I love his staff! It even has the button on it for his secret passage!! All the paint apps on him are perfect and his joints are good and tight. The price, while high, makes sense. There's a lot of paint applications AND this guy's parts pretty much can't be reused. He's a one off. And if paying a little more to get the one offs done well like this is necessary then I say so be it!

VERY happy to add this guy to my collection! He's a vast improvement over his vintage counterpart…and brings a bit more magic to MotU!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quite nice to have different types of Cosmic Keys.

He is one of the top 5 figures in the line. I am so glad to have him in hand! The sculpting is terrifyingly lifelike for a figure this scale. The eyes! So creepily alive!

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I love the figure and the character....but even I agree that the price is ludicrous considering Mantenna was 95% newly tooled and he was only a standard figure. I think his price was inflated just cause he was the Holiday Item. Mattel wanted to max out the slots.
    Yea my only complaint is the price. This just doesn't feel like a $35 figure.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai View Post
    Quite nice to have different types of Cosmic Keys.
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...4e39ba32f1.jpg
    Got some quality warping on the big value cosmic key there.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Got some quality warping on the big value cosmic key there.
    Same crap going on with mine too, but worse at the bottom and even at the top- which is odd because the very tip of the key IS rather stiff plastic. Not a single one of the red "forks" is bent though, which is great but also strange because I would have thought if any part of this key was going to get bent at all, it would be those!
    $35!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Got mine yesterday. He looks great. I can't imagine him looking much better. Do he and Orko look like they are from different lines? Pretty much. But both of them are solid figures to me. Maybe I have my rose colored MOTUC glasses on, but I'm happy with each vintage character we've gotten for the most part.

And this Gwildor looks much better than the orotund pot belly one from the 80's, lol.

Great job, Four Horsemen!

My cosmic key was bent too. I boiled some water in a mug in the microwave, dipped it in for about two minutes and it went back into shape. Ran it under cold water to harden the plastic up, dried it, and it's good to go. Easy fix.

Gwildor Arrival

I decided to put Orko there since Gwildor was more or less a replacement for Orko in the movie, given they didn't really have the means back then. I noticed the big cosmic key is kind of warped but not too badly. Not as badly warped as the Adora sword hence why I have her hold the golden sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I love the character, and I love the figure - great sculpt, paint and accessories... but I totally agree here. There is no reason that this figure should cost $35. I thought that Lubic was going to be packaged underneath Gwildor (ala Adam & Orko) when I saw this price tag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Exactly !

There is no denial that Gwildor is awesomely sculpted ! Its just that he is not my cup of tea, but that's another story !! IMO, hyper detailed or not, he should been around $15.00-$20.00 (with 2 minimum accessories) MAX !

Rants aside, can anybody post a pic of Gwildor with Orko's head ?? Lets see how "movie style" Orko looks like !
    Looking For Super 7's Club Grayskull Wave 1 Figures (Hordak, Teela, Man-At-Arms & Tri-Klops) !

Gwildor: Man At Arms, He-Man I did it ahaaa

Skeletor: STOP HIM

Man At Arms: The door it's open, He-Man go get through

Gwildor: The Door, The Door

Man At Arms: Gwildor come on

Skeletor: The KEY..GET THE KEY

( He-Man , Man At Ams and Gwildor disapear through the cosmic doorway )

Skeletor: FIND THEM...TRACE THEM...I WANT THEM AND THAT KEY HUNTED DOWN AND BROUGHT BEFORE ME

Evil Lyn: it looked as though he were punching the keys at random there is no way of telling where they might have landed

Skeletor: Monitor their frequency...Wherever they are they will use it again...When they do LOCK IT IN...He-Man Lives and Possesses That Key. I MUST POSSESS ALL OR I POSSESS NOTHING...FIND THEM

Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor, Blue Faker ( From JE The Return Of Faker)

That's the best '87 Skeletor I think I've ever seen! Congrats on re-creating that scene from the film. I must know all the dialogue to that movie off by heart. It was the only movie I'd ever watch as a child! I was obsessed!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

Now that I have him in Hand I think he's my least favourite figure in the line for reasons mentioned above by all the other posters.
    Awesome sticker included!