Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What were your expectations for Masters of the Universe in 1981/1982?

Heroic Warrior
    I could not understand why the toys and cartoons differed from each other .

Why does HeMan have an axe and shield ? Heman never wore Battle Armour
    Where is Man at Arms mustache ?
    Teela has snake armour ?
    Attack Track looks totally alien
    Castle Greyskull is evil
    Zodac is evil
    Skeletor has a purple power sword
    Why does Zoar have armour and why is Zoar available but not Sorceress ?

I played with and enjoyed my toys but these questions always bugged me . This was also vice versa .
    What added to my confusion was the odd sort of logic the toys sometimes portrayed for example Castle Greyskull does Indeed seem to be made for Skeletor as the toys suggest.
    Last edited by Lokus; April 4, 2019 at 07:51pm.

Widget
    There's was a store up the road from us named Jupiter that wasn't overly big in size, nor was it a chain of stores that I know of, but they always had the latest toys. My mom stopped in there often after work to browse and the few occasions I was with her, I at least got to look over the small toy section. Most times even if it was new, it was stuff I never had a lot of interest in because sadly, I was as picky a person then as I am now. I remember seeing the He-man and Battlecat giftset because the artwork all over the packaging really caught my eye. As a kid, I was absolutely addicted to horror and monster type stuff because I had constant access to it through my older cousins. Does anyone else remember Thundarr the Barbarian? It absolutely reminded me of that. I watched that along with Hanna Barbara's Godzilla and the Herculoids, so this figure fit in quite well with my tastes.

The guy had just put them out on the shelf and I remember wanting it so badly that my mom took the opportunity to strike a deal. If I went and stayed at her boyfriends sisters place for the weekend, I could have it AFTER I got home, and not before. No negotiation! To me, this was a BIG deal because I didn't really know this woman or her family very well, and I don't like sleeping at other peoples homes (even to this day), but the pay off was going to be HUGE! It actually took me quite some time to decide (probably 5-10 mins standing in the store, heh) but I finally relented and managed to make it through the weekend (it really wasn't bad at all) and now finally home, there sat my brand new, ultra cool looking box set on my bed, waiting to be opened.

I looked it over for a bit and studied the back of the box, now learning who the rest of the characters were and had hoped that eventually I'd get more of them, because each one looked cooler than the last. I know that at the time my mom bought the set, it was the only type there. No peg figures at all but again, these were just being put out. As an aside one thing that really stands out in my memory is the cashier being really excited that my mom was buying it. Like really excited. Kinda weird...

Anyways, with the box opened, I finally had the toy in hand and still had no idea who he was (no cartoon for me yet) but I knew that he put my Star Wars figures to shame with the MUCH larger size and level of detail... and he rode a giant green frikkin armored cat! And unlike the Star Wars figures, you could take the armor off not only He-Man, but the Cat too. This toy was leagues ahead in my mind.

I made up so many scenarios where He-Man had to slowly battle the cat for his armor and weapons, then finally tame and ride the tiger. I remember reading that mini comic book soooo many times and thinking how cool He-Man was and the characters... Skeletors evil skull face, those dark dungeons, the rusty doors. Total atmoshpere overload. To this day, THAT is how I see He-Man. Don't get me wrong, I loved the cartoon but my He-Man was a Barbarian, not a purple tights wearing doofus.

Things only got better when my mom and I went to visit my aunt a few days later, when she ended up giving both my cousin and I five dollars. Now I wonder what I could spend that on? The next day, my mom took me to Jupiter late in the evening and the rest of the figures were now on the pegs. I decided to get Beast Man. I didn't think it possible, but my excitement for these toys grew even more. It wasn't till months later I got Skeletor for Christmas along with Man at Arms and by this time, every friend I had was into He-Man. All we did at school was talk about He-Man and draw him and add any figure we knew of to our Christmas list. Lots of begging in those letters, that's for sure.

I still enjoyed Star Wars but I had just missed that boat by a few years and with He-Man (my mom called the entire toy line "He-Mans") I was in on the ground floor and it felt like my toy line. No hand me downs here with missing parts or scratched up paint jobs.

He-Man was here to stay.

He-Man 1982 small.jpg
    Last edited by Hey-Man; April 10, 2019 at 03:03pm.

I was born in 1983, so I'm probably on the younger side of MOTU fans. That being said, I am loving reading these! MOTU was one of my favorite properties as a kid. While I do remember my parents buying me the original Real Ghostbusters figures and following that line through its entire run, MOTU (and G.I. Joe) were lines I started collecting in the middle. I have vivid memories of my parents buying me specific figures, vehicles, and playsets, but some of those early items like Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain were bought for me from yard sales. For some reason that made them seem all the more mysterious and magical.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

I was born in '81 & didn't have any MOTU figures myself.

However my older brother had a huge collection. We always watched the show. He had Castle Grayskull, Battle Ram, Stridor & BattleCat (I think that was it for big items).

As a bit of a 'girly' boy, it annoyed me that he didn't have any of the females so I didn't play with them much

Woh, flashback! - the only time I fell through a window was after an episode of She-Ra just ended. I slipped off the wooden coffee table I was lying on & was suddenly in the garden! Not a scratch on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    This question probably only applies to those born 1977/1978 or earlier with enough vivid memories to remember how they felt when the line first came out. To answer it, you had to be there when it started too.
    I'm one of the older MOTU fans here, as I was born in 1970. I was about 11 or 12 when I first laid eyes on a He-Man figure.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    What were your expectations for Masters of the Universe in the beginning, in 1981/1982?
    Good question. Truthfully, I don't think I thought about it too much. I'm actually only had about a dozen of the early figures, and then I started to lose interest. I thought that many of the later characters seemed a little too silly, so I was done. I was very, very happy with Castle Grayskull, and never really thought of anything beyond that. I actually learned about a lot of the later characters and play sets on this very board! There was tons of stuff that I NEVER saw till about 15 years ago.

All that said, I always wanted more Barbarian Warrior / Conan / Gladiator type characters.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I could not understand why the toys and cartoons differed from each other .

Why does HeMan have an axe and shield ? Heman never wore Battle Armour
    Where is Man at Arms mustache ?
    Teela has snake armour ?
    Attack Track looks totally alien
    Castle Greyskull is evil
    Zodac is evil
    Skeletor has a purple power sword
    Why does Zoar have armour and why is Zoar available but not Sorceress ?

I played with and enjoyed my toys but these questions always bugged me . This was also vice versa .
    What added to my confusion was the odd sort of logic the toys sometimes portrayed for example Castle Greyskull does Indeed seem to be made for Skeletor as the toys suggest.
    Yes but who cares as the toys made us kids back then happy to play out our heroes and villains.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I loved the minicomics the most. Someone earlier articulated it very well, that the world seemed more desolate and dark and mysterious with the packaging and the minicomics. Then the cartoon was bright and friendly. I wouldn't say one was necessarily better than the other, and I watched the TV show so much that it certainly took over my conception of Eternia, but the original toys felt weirder and more exciting, like a whole new world that my imagination could play in.

I was born in 78 so I suppose I'm one of your prime targets with that question.
    To start off I was introduced to the line via the cartoon not the other way around. It was Christmas of '83, my dad is a retired police chief in the town I'm from in New Jersey, but back then he was a patrol officer. My mother and I were attending her friends Christmas Party, so she was wearing a blood red dress, (I still remember that thing it was awful, there are pictures lol) and I was attempting to tie my shoes correctly. I had to dress nicely for the party as well. She said, "Steven, Santa dropped off one of your presents early this year and I was wondering if you behave tonight, would you like to have it"??? I said yes of course!!! So she gave it to me, wrapped in smurfs wrapping paper. (Cause Santa knew I liked Smurfs) and I tore into that sucker like you wouldn't believe, and what was it?? Low and behold it was Man-E-Faces.
    To cut long story short,He-man was ALLL the rage that year so apparently "Santa" didn't know that and all the desirable characters were sold out. But for Christmas that year, I got Castle Greyskull, Attack Track, Man-E-Faces, Teela, and Faker which my dad thought was He-man... huh? Plus I got a yellow piece of paper in my Christmas stocking with an IOU from Santa that many more figures would be coming later in the year.
    Now that we cut thru that back story, in answer to your question, I will admit I was a bit saddened or miffed the toys didn't exactly match the show. Biggest complaint was Fright Zone but more on that at a later date. Second I couldn't really read when I was 5 so the mini-comics were wasted on me. Third, I will just say that as the years progressed and what in my younger opinion better toys came out i.e. Transformers, G.I. joe Thundercats, I got kinda bored with He-man until She-ra came out and then it pulled me back in. Luckily I was able to speak to Santa Directly at that age in 1987 when I was 9 so I said um... Mr. and Mrs. Claus??? What that actual (expletive) is up with this "Fright Zone"???? its a swamp and a rather crappy looking one at that. My mom er Mrs. Claus was like hey, brat! you want it or not? I'm like yeah I guess. stupid latex puppet and all. Like seriously did you guys put your she-ra's in that ridiculous dungeon? So hopefully that answers your question, I loved my early incarnations of he-man, it fostered my passion for it to this day, but was I 100 percent satisfied? nope. No toy company, even to this day is above reproach.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.