Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: ThunderCats action figures by Mattel

I'm definitely all in for a Thundercats sub, best news.

OH. Wow. Did not expect this! Lookin' forward to what they have in store for us!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I promised my wife no MOTUC sub for 2016....I didn't say anything about TC's though

I know of the struggle......

Another Matty only line? I'm surprised Mattel even bothers with retail stores anymore.

At this point I fear that if the Real Ghostbusters line ever happens it'll be this same deal. At $27 apiece plus postage, to me they may as well not be made at all, because I refuse to pay that.

Heroic Classics Warrior Gerrit127's Avatar
    Guys this is the best news EVER!!! I have been dreaming about a ThunderCats line from Mattel and 4H since the start of MOTUC!! If this is the case and it looks as good as MOTUC, then this will be the best toyline ever!!! Just imagine a THUNDERTANK!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Can somebody PLEASE help me pick my jaw up off the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Anyone have pictures to share?
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

Heroic Warrior
    Eager to see what these look like and what their release map will be like (i.e. if it's just the A-listers first). Characters like Mongor and Hatchiman would look amazing translated into this style.
    MOTUC Wishlist: Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Andros, Monstroid, the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    LOL! Club ThunDera?

We could have all the main players within three years. I hope they don't BS around and spread out the main characters too far.

Lion-O
    Panthro
    Tygra
    Cheetara
    Wilykit
    Wilykat
    Snarf
    Jaga

Mumm-Ra
    Mummy Mumm-Ra
    Ssslithe
    Jackalman
    Monkian
    Vultureman

Bengali
    Lynx-O
    Pumyra
    Snarfer

Hammerhand
    Ram Bam
    Cruncher
    Top Spinner

Luna and Amok
    Chilla
    Alluro
    Tug Mug
    Red Eye

Grune
    Ratar-O
    Snowman of Hook Mountain
    Snowmeow
    Mandora the Evil Chaser
    Hachiman
    Safari Joe

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I sincerely hope its the 4h sculpting ( or they're too busy -maybe the wwe guys ) these. i want them to look so cool and bury my shame of TRU SDCC " muddy " Lion-O.

And this is really the paint apps on the figure that was shipped.

Classics-Lion-O-TRU-13_1311894430.jpg
    Last edited by ksharpe; July 9, 2015 at 09:06am.

Quote Originally Posted by ksharpe View Post
    I sincerely hope its the 4h sculpting
    The 4HM have said numerous times over the years how much they wanted to tackle ThunderCats, so I will be shocked if they're not in charge of sculpting this line.

Not only that, but I'm hoping Mattel is actually planning on using MOTUC parts. While some might see that as "cheap reuse," I really want the TCats line to look like a sister line to MOTUC, and not just in scale only.

Can't wait to hear more news. I hope the line is successful enough to finally give us Lunattak figures.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Warrior
    I am so excited - i am almost ashamed of how excited I am - if you're reading this Mattel (and why wouldn't you be?): I would like a new, thinner torso for figures of Lion-O's build (Lion-O, Tygra, Ben-Gali, Jaga, Lynx-O and Alluro?) please but otherwise feel free to MOTUC re-use until your black corporate heart's content; also I'd be totally happy to get 201X (as we're now calling it?) characters too - Dobo, The Drifter, The Duelist and Tookit would be nice, but I respect that i may be very alone in that - and - how about throwing in the Laser Sabres, Luna Lasher and Thunderwings somewhere? would be nice extra accessories for the inevitable repaints. Oh and if you kill this line before we get at least Chilla and Alluro, I'm coming looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LOL! Club ThunDera?

We could have all the main players within three years. I hope they don't BS around and spread out the main characters too far.

Lion-O
    Panthro
    Tygra
    Cheetara
    Wilykit
    Wilykat
    Snarf
    Jaga

Mumm-Ra
    Mummy Mumm-Ra
    Ssslithe
    Jackalman
    Monkian
    Vultureman

Bengali
    Lynx-O
    Pumyra
    Snarfer

Hammerhand
    Ram Bam
    Cruncher
    Top Spinner

Luna and Amok
    Chilla
    Alluro
    Tug Mug
    Red Eye

Grune
    Ratar-O
    Snowman of Hook Mountain
    Snowmeow
    Mandora the Evil Chaser
    Hachiman
    Safari Joe
    you left off Ma-Mutt, Willa, Tuska, the Berbills, The Ram-Pagers (Driller, The Stinger, Mad Bubbler), Captain Cracker and my personal favourite - Mongor, how could you! (also five quid says if they're doing this MOTUC style we get invisible Tygra and Mirror Lion-O)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Wow, a lot of folks have been asking/dreaming of this for a long time. A little speculation (given Pixel Dan has confirmed the rumor, i'm assuming this is happening):

Definitely going to be on Matty; if MOTUC doesn't go for another year, Mattycollector is basically dead in the water without a monthly sub to bring in some money. I can't see anything else, even Real Ghostbusters, selling enough to support the site (the regular GB line gave out pretty quickly). Tcats has a lot of characters to tap and likely appeals to much the same demographic that kept MOTUC going for 6 years; I truly believe this is the plan to keep Matty alive. Now, it has drawbacks, if this is indeed where they are going with the property. Matty is still, well, Matty, and it still has a horrible reputation (and a sadly well earned one). When you have to have a sub cancelled, refunded and a whole new one put in place simply to change a credit card, you have a website that needs a major upgrade to the early 2000's, much less the modern world. THat's a major negative for any new line. Add to that the extreme likelyhood, if not outright certainty, that they will use the sub model we've seen with MOTUC, something that almost guarantees a truncated fan base and a decline before its time (just as we saw with MOTUC), and Lion-O and company are facing a challenge that makes Mumm-Ra look like a Berbil. And I can't see any way this line goes retail; with nothing supporting it and Bandai's poor showing so recently, no retailer is going to touch the property right now. And offering it through other e-tailers is not going to happen as long as Matty needs life support. So we're going in with a lot of problems before a single figure has been shown if my surmising here is correct. The one hope I see here, though, lies in the 6 years we've seen of MOTUC: despite Matty's worst efforts, we got an incredible amount of product in this line. If Tcats can garner even a fraction of that support, it could be a solid success.

As far as the line goes, there are challenges there, as it can't be like the old LJN line with an individual sculpt for each figure. Modern toy making means "re-use or DIE!" And if this is a Matty bound line, massive re-use is a given just to get the figures made within a reasonable budget. That means that, like with MOTUC and DC Classics, Mattel desperately needs the Fab Four. The Horsemen have been a HUGE part of the success of MOTUC, not just for the amazing quality of their overall work, but because of a somewhat under-rated skill they excel at: quiet re-use. They are absolute masters of taking standard pieces and re-using them in clever ways that mask the repeat parts and still give a quality version of the character. In the DC classics line, they did two very different versions of the Parademon, so different they looked to have virtually nothing in common. But they did, indeed, use the same base for the figure, something so well hidden I had no idea this was the case until someone actually pointed it out. THat's going to be a critical piece of the puzzle in Tcats; there are a lot of very distinct characters, but I can see the Horsemen method of clever parts sharing and overlays working on a lot of them. Jackalman and Monkian could use the same base body with proper pieces added (much as the Fab four have done with the 200x sub figures coming our way). A basic female buck would take care of the vast majority of the ladies, and a basic heroic buck could work for the main guys. Lion-O could be a bit taller with King Grayskull's gimmick of longer calves, and a dedicated torso could make him a bit bigger built. THere would be certain characters like Slithe who would really need an individual sculpt, but even there you could re-use the body for mutant reptilian army builders. costs could be cut even more if some of the existing tooling for the MOTUC figures was re-used; the cartoon characters were fairly buff, and I think the bodies we have could work well for a lot of the characters. I really think it's doable within the constraints Mattel would have to put in place, but only with someone as skilled as the Horsemen at the sculpting helm.

I really hope this all pans out well; an MOTUC type Tcats line is something I absolutely could not pass on, and if it is done as well as the MOTUC line overall, I think it could be a success. I look forward to seeing what Mattel has planned, and hope it leads to a long lasting line.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    So excited for this! Can't wait to see Cheetara! And my mind immediately goes to Silverhawks, Tigersharks, and (as always) Blackstar!

Can I go on record now requesting that the white on Chilla actually be white?
    A PONY!!!

"I think it's time to admit the truth, I never grew out of wanting to be a vampire slayer... and probably never will"

MattyCollector, innovators in redefining honestly and transparency since 2015
    I really really hate BS Hordak

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    If this turns out to be true, Thundercats will get my money, not MOTU. Motu has had 8 years of figures, time for something different. I'd love to get a Lynxana figure.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Will they have a rights to make the cartoon characters that did not have figures in the original line? The Lunataks, Mandora, and Willa are some of my top wants.

This is fantastic news!!

you left off Ma-Mutt, Willa, Tuska, the Berbills, The Ram-Pagers (Driller, The Stinger, Mad Bubbler), Captain Cracker and my personal favourite - Mongor, how could you! (also five quid says if they're doing this MOTUC style we get invisible Tygra and Mirror Lion-O)[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Capt. Shiner! I would buy every character that this line puts out. I really hope they can go deep enough to get some of the more obscure characters like Mole Master or Mumm-rana! If they don't get too bogged down in variants, I'm all in!
    Biggest MOTUC wants - Hunga the Harpy! Yukkers, Colonel Blast, Evil Robot, the Twiggets and Admiral Scurvy! We need the Thundercats Classics back!

Heroic Warrior
    If these are built exactly like motuc I'm all over it. If not, then I have no interest.

I was never in to the vintage T-Cats, and absolutely loved the recent cartoon...though i am delighted by the thought of MOTUC style vintage-y T-Cats. I just hope they get past, oh, Lion O and Mumm Ra and Tygra, the only ones I have of the Bandai and statue lines that failed!

i am prepared for more subscription drama. And we just have to know they'll cost like $27 or more and accept that, because heck, it costs $21 for a Marvel Legend in stores these days.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Will they have a rights to make the cartoon characters that did not have figures in the original line? The Lunataks, Mandora, and Willa are some of my top wants.

This is fantastic news!!
    I would think so. As far as I know, Thundercats never had any kind of odd rights issues split between the toys and cartoon like MOTU. The Lunitacs are a MUST HAVE!

I'm pretty happy about this. If it's the same scale and all as MOTUC, I'm thrilled.

I just hope this doesn't go into the overly obsure that MOTUC dipped into for a while. I'm find with seconad and third tier characters. I just hope we don't get random guy in the background from one episode, or obscure concept character that no one ever heard of, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Jim View Post
    I was never in to the vintage T-Cats, and absolutely loved the recent cartoon...though i am delighted by the thought of MOTUC style vintage-y T-Cats. I just hope they get past, oh, Lion O and Mumm Ra and Tygra, the only ones I have of the Bandai and statue lines that failed!

i am prepared for more subscription drama. And we just have to know they'll cost like $27 or more and accept that, because heck, it costs $21 for a Marvel Legend in stores these days.
    It's not the $27 price tag I mind, it's the shipping fee of doooooooom that does me in
    A PONY!!!

"I think it's time to admit the truth, I never grew out of wanting to be a vampire slayer... and probably never will"

MattyCollector, innovators in redefining honestly and transparency since 2015
    I really really hate BS Hordak

yeah, thats true... i just try not to think about the shipping costs, since it's tragically beyond my control...

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    I, too, am crazy excited about this... also a bit frightened, financially. Of course, I'm wondering what this will do to MOTU. I can't really imagine both of these lines going simultaneously and both being strong and viable. It's just too expensive -people will have to choose, a lot more cherry picking instead of committing to sub so as to be able to get choice figures from both lines, etc. Could be trouble for both lines if they go at the same time -a sub here will take away from a sub there. I guess I'm hoping that maybe MOTU will wrap up with a great (and mainly Filmation, for me) 2016 line and then start into the Thundercats line. I would also imagine Thundercats is going to have to be a much shorter run. As great as it is, I don't think it will have the same staying power to replicate MOTUC's amazing run. Or perhaps slow down the MOTU releases to one a month and add on a one a month Thundercats line...there-I like that! (See, you think out loud long enough and something comes up). Two stripped down lines might increase the desire for both. As of right now, the MOTU line is pretty saturated and too hard/expensive to keep up with everything, as much as I love it all.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

World's #1 GOAT MAN Fan NastyNate's Avatar
    SAFARI JOE does it AGAIN!!

Amazing news, wow! My wife and I are freaking out. If the rumors are true that Matty is going 'animated' in 2016 (Filmation MOTU Re-do's, Real Ghostbusters) then at least they got 1 right. Its about time...

If MOTU is going Filmation in 2016 (Cartoon style Teela, He-Man, Evil Lynn, Skeletor, etc) then Im done. I guess it's Lion-O and Panthro to the rescue!!

SightBeyondSightin2016
    The Year Of The GOAT Is Upon Us