Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retoring a vintage Castle Grayskull

Widget
    Very nice work. I'm curious about the spring you mentioned in the jaw bridge. I'm fixing up mine as well and glued it together some months ago and wasn't aware of that there was supposed to be a spring inside. I assume it should've been inserted in one of the pegs? Also all evidence of a spring was long gone.

I've bought a couple of Castle Grayskull more to restore, and just opened the Jaw Bridge to repair it - I might have been a bit to hopeful in my assumption that there was ever a spring in there... It's an easy fit and install, if one is to bother to pry the jaw bridge apart, which does add a logical functionality to the locking mechanism. The prying open the two parts making the jaw bridge however is a tedious one though. Still, not too difficult if you go slow. I did the second one in a few minutes. I'll post some pics of the process.

Also, here is a link to the Wooden Floors I designed: download.
    It's a PDF, A4 format (covers one floor).
    Last edited by simensays; November 26, 2016 at 08:27pm. Reason: technical update

This Jaw Bridge had a broken tab/pin, but luckily I received part of the remaining broken bits. It would need some major strengthening though, as simply gluing it back on would not be sufficient.

I pried the main parts apart, using an fine knife, working slowly along the seams.

This is the simply spring I mounted, to make the lock spring operated and lock by itself.

I would firstly glue the small piece with the pin back into place, with a tiny bit of superglue, just to keep it in the correct location for further strengthening and repair. Then, I used a two comp epoxy, and coated the inside repair area with a health leayer, overlapping the repair joint quite a bit, to make a sturdy "weld" for the parts. When that had dried, I still needed a way to build up the area where the missing bits where. I used epoxy putty, which would give me a hard and secure finished result, filling up all the volume not there -- and allowing me to shape and mold the structured wooden grains in the front at the same time. The putty has a few minutes working time before curing, so I had to work quickly, but if needed can be cut/sanded later.

After complete curing, I then went over the seams to fill any small gaps with a little superglue (epoxy for bigger gaps if any), set to dry and sanded for a smooth seamless finished result.

Then some Tamiya Fine Surface Primer was sprayed, and the Jaw Bridge is stronger than new, and ready for paint.

This is amazing!!! Great work! I am planning on repainting my grayskull soon........

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Clap clap clap, beautiful work!

I was asked to make a version of my FootLocker stands for the figures with the big claw feet, Like Buzz.Off, Whiplash and variants of Clawful - so I did. Here is the Simensays ClawLocker.
    The Original FootLocker can easily be modified to fit these figures already, simply by cutting away the heel cap, only leaving a small peg of it - as seen on the ClawLocker below. The optimal stance angle for preserving the internal leg rubber is maintained, which is very important to me, and probably should be for anyone collecting vintage loose figures, which is lacking in all the other MOTU stand I've seen popping up.

I guess I'll have to make one for the Teela & Evil-Lyn figures as well now...
    Last edited by simensays; November 4, 2017 at 01:22pm.

Finally got around to making the Simensays Ladylocker...

awesome paint.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Court Magician
    These stands are great for the ladies! They also work on vintage Princess of Power figures.

Hi!

Congrats on the great restoring. I got a complete Castle Grayskull a few weeks ago (I'd been waiting over 30 years for it). I'm trying to fix it as faithful to the original as possible. However, I think the 3D models for the cardboard parts. Did you finally make them?

BTW, I plan to order some of your amazing stands.