Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man & MOTU documentary

Quote Originally Posted by grandhelmet View Post
    Thank you everyone who helped make "Power of Grayskull" such a success! We had a crazy last few hours and HIT our final Stretch Goal!!!!

You can watch the archived stream of the final two hours as well. VERY EXCITING!

#RaiseTheSword!

Attachment 107481
    wow! so pleased for you guys - the way you have approached this has been absolutely on-point and so slick and professional - it really feels like a super-modern fan-led project for the fans ... i cannot wait to see this and i look forward to owning the blu-ray!! ... the '87 movie segment/modules has got me on the edge of my seat already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Congratulations!
    i will second that!!!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

I am so excited for this. Something tells me I'm going to watch this over and over again

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Cool that the final stretch was reached. Look forward to the final results.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    We're waiting for the show to start.

Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; December 5, 2016 at 10:54pm.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Canīt wait for when those guys talk with Mark Taylor.

Heroic Warrior
    Some day there will be at least as many documentaries on He-Man as there is on Star Wars.

waiting..
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; December 27, 2016 at 10:55pm.

Widget
    Hey guys! Isaac here, I am the cimenatographer and one of the producers from the upcoming Power of Grayskull documentary. I may pop in here from time to time while searching for specific props and such for the film. At this moment in particular I am looking for a very specific thing. I am looking for a model kit opened or not, built or not doesnt matter, of the Attack Track that was made by Monogram. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Please send me a PM if you can.

Heroic Warrior
    Crashing into the world of Masters of the Universe..

Or be a null unit.
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; October 30, 2016 at 08:09pm.

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is being created right now! They were at Power-Con filming a lot of great footage. And here's a teaser of their visit to Anthony De Longis, known to fans as Blade from the 1987 He-Man film.

And here's their tale of the visit:

On Friday, July 29th, the Power of Grayskull team had an interesting little day. Well, maybe not so little.

I could have chosen any production day to write about, as we're lucky enough to meet and chat with so many incredible people, but this particular gave us such a mix of places that it's worth describing. And I shot a little something to show that.

We left the gnarly traffic of Los Angeles, made it across the city and rolled north on the always amazing Pacific Coast highway for a few hours, then cut inland to talk to designer Justine Dantzer.

She kindly opened her front door and we had a great chat about her early work on She-Ra, then we had race out in time to drive up into the mountains to Rancho Indalo for swordplay, whip work and horsemanship with Anthony De Longis.

Of course, the traffic, the impossible heat, the lack of caffeine and the increasing uncertainty of getting to his ranch on time had us concerned that, not only were we losing the light, we might be losing the kind hospitality of our interviewee, as he had been kind enough to set the day aside for a very physical interview.

Anthony is literally at the top of a mountain and it's an exciting climb for both driver (me) and rental car and, even better, once we got to the top, we were rewarded with a stunning view, a host of swords and weapons, four friendly horses, Anthony's lovely wife and a few hours of stories that had us questioning our testosterone.

Yes, Anthony cracked a whip into the camera.

Yes, he slashed and thrust a katana into the camera.

And yes, the camera is expensive but we trusted him entirely...

Late that evening, we drove down the mountain in the uncertain darkness with a whiskey-soaked director of photography and rumbled back to the urban jungle an action-packed 18 hours after we left.

So, why do I share this particular story?

Well, with 50+ interviews collected thus far - interviews we can't wait to share it with you - I just picked one day at random.

Of course, I could have talked about meeting Erika Scheimer and Amy, Tom T and his art collection, Mark Taylor and Rebecca or Gary Goddard or Richard Edlund or any other among the awesome folks with whom we've shot on this latest production swing.

But on that day, after the stress and heat and traffic and uncertainty - there we were on that mountain, with that view off Anthony's deck and the sun going down and I just had to share it.

- Randall Lobb
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

That looks like an amazing spot for a home.

FauxPop Media has posted on Facebook:
    "It is official! The editing of the Power of Grayskull has begun."

Awesome -- Super excited for this to come out. They've put together a lot of great footage and commentary!

Heroic Warrior
    Front row seats for He-Man?

More input.
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; November 2, 2016 at 12:18am.

Widget
    Hey everyone! I am looking for copies of VHS tapes that might have the old MOTU commercials on them? I know they exist on YouTube, but those have been uploaded and downloaded and re-uploaded again, so they are getting rough. If I can go back to the original VHS tapes that people recorded off the TV that would be best for quality that I can clean-up from. One of the members here was already kind enough to share a tape of commercials with me, which I have cleaned up and hope to use in the film. However as luck would have it he did not have the first few commercials that were produced where in the kids and their dad are playing around Castle Grayskull. I am putting the call out to anyone who might have those specific first commercials on a tape by chance? And of course anything else that was recorded from back in the day that is MOTU related and maybe fun to include, ie. news broadcasts and such. I can clean anything you send me and send you the digital clean-ups back for your own use as well. Thanks everyone! Send me a PM if you have anything and I'll email you from there.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian turtle View Post
    Hey everyone! I am looking for copies of VHS tapes that might have the old MOTU commercials on them? I know they exist on YouTube, but those have been uploaded and downloaded and re-uploaded again, so they are getting rough. If I can go back to the original VHS tapes that people recorded off the TV that would be best for quality that I can clean-up from. One of the members here was already kind enough to share a tape of commercials with me, which I have cleaned up and hope to use in the film. However as luck would have it he did not have the first few commercials that were produced where in the kids and their dad are playing around Castle Grayskull. I am putting the call out to anyone who might have those specific first commercials on a tape by chance? And of course anything else that was recorded from back in the day that is MOTU related and maybe fun to include, ie. news broadcasts and such. I can clean anything you send me and send you the digital clean-ups back for your own use as well. Thanks everyone! Send me a PM if you have anything and I'll email you from there.
    Good luck! I'd love to see a cleaner version of it. This is the cleanest digital version I've been able to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCaezwY3WU

I missed the last few updates on this project, and it just keeps looking cooler and cooler.

FauxPop Media has posted an update Facebook:

"After last week's wrestling with that massive 5+ hour rough assembly, we've finally come up with a very nice 2+ hour cut that we'll thicken up even more with the addition of our amazing B roll.

We've got a great, very rich story here, and although we there will ALWAYS be more people we could go out and corral into an interview, it wouldn't necessarily make that story any better.

As we head into this next phase - digging through hours and hours of sweet B roll - we'll dip back into that 2+ hour cut and see what added tweaking can be done.

As I write this, Isaac and crew are setting up for some transition and credit sequence shots, which will hopefully come out as a series of intricate moving shots in a very cool setting with some very nice props...

Stay tuned here for pics!
    Thanks,
    Randall"

FauxPop Media has posted another update on Facebook:

"Hey everybody, we're still here!

And we're still working on a big, fat, juicy two-hour cut of the main portion of the documentary, which would be the one that has interested a few possible distributors...

Yes, that's right, there may be a home for the wide-release version of the doc, which is great news for us, however developmental it is at this stage.

Isaac and I have gone through the first hour of that two-hour cut, tweaking and twisting and consulting notes that Rob has pitched in and building what you might call a "refined" first hour with B roll dropped in.

The second hour of that rough cut is going to take some more careful pruning and possible restructuring, and I've been hoping to get that done soon, but it's tough.

And here's one reason why. PS it's a reason that you hardcore fans will want to hear...

One of our great supporters has a bit of juice (okay, many buckets of juice) in the entertainment world and, after hearing about some of the people we weren't able to get on camera, stepped in to help us get, at the very least, one of the key members of those whom we'd been struggling to contact.

To that end, we will now have one final round of production in late March.

Does it push everything back? Somewhat, but recompiling material is much easier because we've already got such a strong cut thus far. Dropping in supplemental material from even just this one critical interview will be worth it and easy to add.

Having said that, I am trying to add a few more such interviews to give the doc even more scope and, of course, we're going to be adding that much more new material to the collectors' modules.

My final update is about those collectors' modules. Rob and I have had a recent chat wherein we pretty much said that same thing at the same time. Why wouldn't we setup the collectors' stuff like a show or series unto itself? Instead of creating a great big blob of content to wade through, we could make smaller, more concentrated modules with focus points and some new editorial material to help create a smoother flow of ideas.

Okay, maybe we didn't say it exactly like that, but it was close!

Here's an internal screenshot to give you a little taste."

FauxPop Media has let fans know they are working on the final segment of their distribution cut of the documentary. And a fan cut will follow!
    Visit their Facebook page for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    FauxPop Media has let fans know they are working on the final segment of their distribution cut of the documentary. And a fan cut will follow!
    Visit their Facebook page for more info.
    That looks great! Slightly more impressive editing software than what I use for my fan-edits...

FauxPop Media has interviewed Dolph Lundgren for their upcoming He-Man documentary!

4/29 update:
    Editing in Action!

Fellow Eternians!

It’s hard to believe, but we are perilously close to finally being able to share Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe with you! As a result, whilst we wrestle with plans for the film’s premiere, we wanted to let you know where things stand and what happens next.

Currently, we’re deep into post-production pursuant to showing off our initial cut of the documentary - a mass-audience version of the doc somewhere around 90 minutes in length. We’ve already had a significant amount of interest for this curt of the documentary and have high hopes we can find a home for it.

And while some of you are slated to be involved - with your memories included in a longer fan cut of POG, don’t worry, we’ve got something awesome lined up.

As we’ve announced in a few other spots like Facebook and Twitter, instead of delivering rough modules that don’t have the same level of polish as our mass audience version, we’re planning to produce a full SERIES on the history of He-Man, taking advantage of the sheer scope of the material we’ve gathered.

This series will most likely be cut into 22 minute episodes, for which we have a host of ideas. With the material we have, we think we can lay out six, or as many as ten such episodes, allowing us to go deeper into everything MOTU than we can accommodate in wide-release distribution version - and that’s where you come in!

Once we narrow down our focus, we’ll be in touch with everyone slated to appear, sending you a list of questions. Fan passion and perspective has been a critical part of the MOTU legacy, so rest assured we don’t want to leave anyone out!

Remember however, that we need people to consider picture and sound quality as, clearly, the series is still subject to broadcast standards. To that end, the better your picture and sound, the more likely it is that we can use your footage.

Raise the sword!
    So will all these 22 minute episodes be on the special edition extended Blu-Ray sets that some of us supported on kickstarter? I assume these will be pressed Blu-Rays and not BD-Rs since my blu-ray player doesn't play all BD-Rs.

Super cool that this is still developing -- seems like forever ago that I backed this. I can't even remember what level I backed at!

FauxPop Media, the creative force behind the upcoming Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe documentary, will have a panel at SDCC 2017.

Come join them Saturday July 22, 2017 7:15pm - 8:20pm at the Marriott Grand Ballroom 3 & 4.
    Fans who attend will get a very early first look at finished material from upcoming documentaries in production and almost certainly a chance to see some footage that won't make the final cut - footage that may be of particular interest for hardcore He-Maniacs and TMNT fans!