Thread: Was He man a success in japan/asia market?

Heroic Warrior

Was He man a success in japan/asia market?

Never heard anything on it

Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Never heard anything on it
    There was a short run of Japanese Takara figures, but my understanding is that they were not successful at all.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks

Yeah that's what heard too

Sorry my English is not so good

So It Was only a short lived 'success' in japan?
    Last edited by Jayk; Yesterday at 03:21pm.

There are some blurbs about it in this article.

takara.jpg
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    I'm more a fan of the American aesthetic... yet there's no getting around how infectious Japanese art has been on Americans and American toys (comics, etc) since the original MOTU era (and before it).

Without knowing anything about the original question in this thread, my guess is that the Japanese would view any American product as falling short of Japanese... they just have always seemed to have led the way in this fantasy toy genre.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you

I understand now.

By the past when you was asking at a Mandarake's employee if they had Masters of the universe/He-Man toys in stock they were answered "He what?" lol
    I remember year 2004 a friend of me found a Faker 8_back Moc Takara at JPY3000 at the Nakano store, 2 weeks ago I found a He-man moc at JPY2000.

I am travelling in Japan regularly since 1999, for many of japanese people they just have no memories concerning He-Man from 80' (unlike G.i. Joe or Barbie as examples), now things changed a little bit cause they have an eye on eBay and they understood how this line was important for many other countries + some japanese collectors are in love with the Classics line.

I remember back to 2003 around, I found a large amount of Motu figures moc in the store Liberty (at Akihabara), I got figures like Ninjor, Horde Trooper, King Randor, Scare Glow etc at JPY1500 each one (some were priced at JPY1000, others at JPY1500), 40 different figures on total.
    When I came back the next day I asked at the seller if they had any others in stock, the japanese guy answered me "Not, everything went on sale yesterday, they are cool toys I have the entire collection at home", I said "What? you own each figure? vehicule? playsets? GIANTS? LASERS etc new in packages?" he said "Yes", I was very surprised because each time when I was asking for these toys no one had memories about them, I asked to him "But do you know the story or what they are?" and he said "I have no idea, but I love the Evil monster guys" lol