Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blog outlining the origin of different MOTU characters

This took a ton of time and effort to put together. Probably more than it was worth! I'm not sure there will be much interest in this kind of data. But, at least there is a ton of art to look at.

Masters of the Universe timeline – by trademark date
    Last edited by Lich Leech; April 1, 2016 at 10:39pm.

Great job Lich

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Great job Lich
    Thanks Tokyonever!

Another hardcore MotU history lesson from the Battle Ram Blog!! Great job as always
    Ye be strong, but Garn shall win. HIYAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Garn View Post
    Another hardcore MotU history lesson from the Battle Ram Blog!! Great job as always
    Thanks very much, Garn!

Interview with Mark & Rebecca Taylor!

https://battleram.wordpress.com/2016...ins-of-he-man/

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Fantastic stuff! Thank you very much Lich Leech!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Fantastic stuff! Thank you very much Lich Leech!
    Thanks Jukka! The Taylors were super nice. I could have asked them another 100 questions, but I didn't want to press my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Interview with Mark & Rebecca Taylor!

https://battleram.wordpress.com/2016...ins-of-he-man/
    Wow, so if I'm reading this right, Skeletor was somewhat influence by the infamous Elmer McCurdy corpse? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Wow, so if I'm reading this right, Skeletor was somewhat influence by the infamous Elmer McCurdy corpse? Weird.
    Hmm, that sure sounds like it! Good catch.

I definitely did not want Battle Cat to look like a real tiger
    Ummm.. then why design him looking like a tiger?

he was much more that but they sold out on him in the animation and later toys after I left.
    A) How did Filmation "sold out on him" when the design is practically exactly same?
    B) What later Battlecat toys?

He always said, “all the answers are in Castle Grayskull”, which is quite a different direction that it eventually went.
    Eeeexcept it didn't.

Excellent Interview Lich, thx to share it

You wrote at the beginning: "Mark Taylor is the designer behind so many beloved icons in the He-Man universe: He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Stratos, Beast Man, Mer-Man, Zodac, Castle Grayskull, Battle Cat, Man-E-Faces, Ram Man, and even an early version of Prince Adam"

About which one are you talking please?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    ...propably the one seen in PAH Catalog?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post

A) How did Filmation "sold out on him" when the design is practically exactly same?

Eeeexcept it didn't.

I think he meant that it wasn't orange/white/black, like a earth tiger.

Great interview! Only part that struck me was he said the name Eternia was stupid. I think that is a perfect name for the planet.
    Is not not licking toads

Excellent Interview Lich, thx to share it

You wrote at the beginning: "Mark Taylor is the designer behind so many beloved icons in the He-Man universe: He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Stratos, Beast Man, Mer-Man, Zodac, Castle Grayskull, Battle Cat, Man-E-Faces, Ram Man, and even an early version of Prince Adam"

Thanks very much, Tokyonever!

This is the version I mean. It was in the "Art of He-Man" book and I believe the P&H Foundation Catalog

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post

Eeeexcept it didn't.
    I think he just means he wanted to colors to make it look quite alien from an earth tiger.

Regarding "all the answers are in Castle Grayskull" he's referring to his personal vision for the He-Man universe, including his Dwell of Souls idea. He talks about it in depth in this Q&A. Very different from the mini comics and cartoon.

http://s7.zetaboards.com/The_Dubious...opic/424452/2/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    I think he meant that it wasn't orange/white/black, like a earth tiger.

Great interview! Only part that struck me was he said the name Eternia was stupid. I think that is a perfect name for the planet.
    Thank you!. Personally I like the name Eternia too. But Mark's ideas are very different from the stories that Mattel marketing went with.

Well, good!!! That finally settles the debate on Demo-Man being a completely separate character. He should NEVER, EVER have been a part of Skeletor's bio. Just say NO to Demo-Man + Keldor = Skeletor.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Well, good!!! That finally settles the debate on Demo-Man being a completely separate character. He should NEVER, EVER have been a part of Skeletor's bio. Just say NO to Demo-Man + Keldor = Skeletor.
    Agreed. I pose mine next to Skeletor's crew. I think of him as an undead warlord who has allied himself with Skeletor.

I wish for the 30 anniversary MOTUC figures that had let Mr. Taylor design a figure. Would have been better than Sir Laser lot or the Mighty Spector.
    Is not not licking toads

Here are some interesting tidbits from the interview:

• Demo-Man was not an early incarnation of Skeletor, but rather a separate character entirely
    • Mer-Man was inspired by Swamp Thing
    • Skeletor was partially inspired by Day of the Dead artwork
    • Beast Man, Teela, Statos, Man-E-Faces and Ram Man all switched side from good to evil or vice versa during their development
    • Battle Cat's armor originated with Mark Taylor's childhood sketches
    • The colors green and orange show up a lot in MOTU because Mark Taylor thought they made the universe look a bit more alien/fantastic
    • The Green Goddess was originally supposed to be a changeling and a spy who was playing both sides
    • The evil warriors didn't have any vehicles early in the line because Skeletor relied on magic instead
    • Zodac was influenced by Flash Gordon
    • The stickers and cardboard inserts (artwork by Rebecca Taylor, based on old sketches by Mark) in Castle Grayskull provide clues to Mark Taylor's ideas about the story of He-Man vs Skeletor
    • Mark Taylor is working on an autobiography as well as a prequel to He-Man based on his Torak drawings.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; May 11, 2016 at 12:41pm.

Demo-Man sounds like some guy who would unplug a video game at E-3 and say "Sorry 5 minutes per person."

I haven't always updated this thread each time I've done a post, but here is a list of the toy features I've completed so far:

Battle Cat
    Battle Ram
    Beast Man
    Castle Grayskull
    Faker
    He-Man
    Man-At-Arms
    Man-E-Faces
    Mer-Man
    Panthor
    Point Dread & Talon Fighter
    Ram Man
    Skeletor
    Stratos
    Teela
    Trap Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    Wind Raider
    Zoar
    Zodac

https://battleram.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/contents/

Heroic Warrior andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it's Avatar
    about Whiplash that I had never noticed before: the picture from the Mattel catalog with the purple spear.
    I crossed one time on eBay a purple spear (sold with a loose Whiplash figure) exactly like this one, I did not buy it but had wondered where from it could come, as for the Faker orange taiwanese belt I think that few early Whiplash figures are coming with this purple spear.
    The spear from the sale I seen was not a repaint for sure.
    Whiplash with purple spear was advertised in some Italian comic. It can definitely be as you say. Also Fisto come with a different sword (like Jitsu) and webstor was packaged wit a blue gun. By the way I am sure you most likely got a picture of that auction of whiplash with purple spear and I hope you can share it couse I want to see it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it View Post
    Whiplash with purple spear was advertised in some Italian comic. It can definitely be as you say. Also Fisto come with a different sword (like Jitsu) and webstor was packaged wit a blue gun. By the way I am sure you most likely got a picture of that auction of whiplash with purple spear and I hope you can share it couse I want to see it a lot!
    I tried to find it on my computer but I finally think that I just not saved it because I can't find anywhere
    The color was purple like the Prince Adam sword (vibrant color), the Whiplash figure has nothing particular it was a normal one.
    The figure was sold loose from an US seller and I remember that he relisted it more than one time, the buy it now price was something like $12 lol
    At this time I shared the link to Boba-Fett-Ox, he can confirm that I didn't dream.
    I stopped to collect since 4 years around now it is why I did not buy him, I was really thinking to cross an other one but sadly nope, it is the only one that I have seen.

That was a great interview. Nice to finally have confirmation that Demo-Man was supposed to be a completely separate character.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Yeah, me too. I have a ton of respect for Mark Taylor but I still love the name Eternia. I also think "Masters of the Universe" is a better name for the property than Taylor's idea of just calling it "He-Man" after the main character.