Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1:4 She-Ra statue from PCS

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    The figure is beautiful.

I wouldn't touch the face, it's amazing. Absolutely stunning. Both the gold/yellow and her skin tone don't seem dark enough comparatively, but I like her skin tone just fine, and if they aren't using gold, and it's supposed to represent gold, then it could take on so many tones that they might not be able to meet everybody's expectations, and we'll just have to trust that they looked at the options and chose the one that worked best.

Her head and hair are just epic.

The base is a big mess, unfortunately. It looks particularly cheap. And after seeing firsthand how the Skeletor base turned out, I'm def worried about this one. I don't want what looks to be a huge chunk of plastic stuck to the front of the statue. Maybe the exclusive will come with an understated whispering woods floor to go with Kowl. This thing is obnoxious, and really takes away from an otherwise fantastic looking statue.

Beastman had the best base so far, it looked nice with detail that could match the hand painted background fro the toon, but didn't jump out past the character. Teela's was very nice, too, just the right amount of detail, and some extra's lying around. Trap Jaw's had some funky looking metal, but it wasn't bad. It just didn't look as good, and the metallic was hinting at a strong metal feel while the beat-up sculpt was saying play-doh. It was probably because there was just so much of it. The paint on the Skeletor's lava base was a big miss, and looked like a sweeping piece of plastic, which is not what I expect from these statues.

This statue looks fantastic based on the figure, a 9.5 out of 10, but the base brings it down to a 6, maybe 7 out of 10 overall. IF they had to go with this design, they need to take some cracks away. Not detail, but the plates of cracked earth were possibly larger in size, so there were less of them needed to cover the area. I'd also make the shape less defined, now the cylinder look is overly obvious. Currently, instead of looking like it's made of large stones or cracking earth, it looks like a well defined shape with a shallow texture applied to it. On it's own the texture looks nice. The washes bringing out the detail and all. It just wants to be more organic. Also, I hope they go for extreme realism with the jewel. Having a foggy plastic jewel on the front will look like a kids toy. And, that gold crystal castle stuff... idunno, it's just popping out and getting in the way, imo. I guess if they find this perfect pearlized paint that gives it a TON of depth and tonality, then it could be saved.

I'd rather the gold stuff just be clouds. Or it all just be simple rock that matches the ground she transforms upon, but not in a large cylinder shape.

Oh well. Let's let 'em do their thing and assume they've got this under control!

The statue looks nice, but I do think the face is off. I think it looks way more youthful than She-Ra looked in the cartoon. I know I'm not an "expert" so some people will think that my opinion is worthless, but that's fine. I just personally feel like it looks less well-translated than any of the other PCS statues revealed so far. I know to get an exact likeness is very difficult, but this one does not appear to be a home run in my opinion. I will still be purchasing it, but hope it looks better in person or some slight improvements are done.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    For the non believers

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    When you overlay the model with the line art of course it looks good. That doesn't mean the statue looks that way though. I think it comes down to some of the Filmation stuff is hard to translate out of the 2D environment we are use to. I had issues with the He-Man statue's face, even after getting him in person. Less issue with Mattel's Filmation He-Man figure though, so I think really good translations are possible. It is just tricky.

I really look forward to seeing more regular pictures of the statue, which may alter my opinion of the face and gold/yellow clashes. Regardless, she will be proudly standing next to the He-Man one in my house.

Yeah, I saw that overlay online and figured someone would post it to "shut mouths" (as the sentiment was stated elsewhere). I still stand by the fact that it doesn't look quite right in these pictures, to me. I'm not saying it looks bad, just not exactly as I would expect.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I'll agree that it looks a little too high but there is little that can be done to translate 2d to 3d. Something has to give. I didn't see Emil's flippant statement until after I posted it.

He's right though, it's as on model as it can possibly be. Complaining that it doesn't look right is pretty pointless

quick photoshop with a lowered tiara. Maybe helps a little but doesnt make any huge difference IMO, the statue is fantastic as it is.
    Welcome to my Shapeways shop (Filmation inspired heads and accessories)
    http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eternalcustoms
    My facebook page:
    https://m.facebook.com/eternalcustoms
    Most Wanted MOTUC: Melaktha, Kittrina, King Helios, Colossor, Zilora, Dragoon

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    From the neck down she looks awesome...But that Base though......

...Skeletors base looks like snake mountain, He mans looks like Grayskull.....um.

..how much of POP was set in a Gray quarry??

also....we finally know where Carol Anne ended up...

ka
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post

...Skeletors base looks like snake mountain, He mans looks like Grayskull.....um.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...pszyf0ozjk.png

ka
    Thank you for the solid laugh Staff of Ka- the base and Carol Anne comments were really funny to me. I agree the base could have been much better... I was thinking it would be a clear pink with crystal shapes to reflect her castle, but my main issue is with how big her forehead is, why does her hair start so far back, this is a conehead She-Ra, hopefully just the shots?

Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    quick photoshop with a lowered tiara. Maybe helps a little but doesnt make any huge difference IMO, the statue is fantastic as it is. http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...9610951_o2.jpg
    That small change makes a HUGE difference! I'd buy that version.
    I certainly wouldn't buy the existing version without seeing more photos. (Which is a shame cos I've put money aside to buy her)
    And, I get the she's on model, but that doesn't mean she looks good.

ka
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antimas View Post
    Thank you for the solid laugh Staff of Ka- the base and Carol Anne comments were really funny to me. I agree the base could have been much better... I was thinking it would be a clear pink with crystal shapes to reflect her castle, but my main issue is with how big her forehead is, why does her hair start so far back, this is a conehead She-Ra, hopefully just the shots?
    As Im not a Filmation fan I cant weigh in on anything regarding the face really, But I have to say that from an outsiders perspective the face looks far too young.

But the one aspect I will happily swing in on...the Stand! I just dont get why its a gray blob? The few scenes Ive seen of 'Filmation POP' its all about color (not necessarily Pink) but Vibrant colors.

And Im sure that any fan of she ra would understand fully that the concept and property is colorful -Especially the Filmation Style- So they cant hide behind the same 'we didnt want to alienate Potential buys by using Pinks etc' that TG spun back in Early MOTUC days when the first muted POP were revealed.
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

Here's a photo sent to He-Man.Org from PCS with improved lighting.

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I have to say, I think that looks MUCH better. Why would they not send it out looking like that to begin with? I don't understand companies sending out pictures of their products under bad lighting when they KNOW how picky the fans are. I don't get it. I think there is still a bit more youthfulness in the face than what I would prefer, but it is definitely much improved to me.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I have to say, I think that looks MUCH better. Why would they not send it out looking like that to begin with? I don't understand companies sending out pictures of their products under bad lighting when they KNOW how picky the fans are. I don't get it. I think there is still a bit more youthfulness in the face than what I would prefer, but it is definitely much improved to me.
    ^
    I agree with everything said here.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the base being odd. IMO a quick, simple fix would be to paint it the same green as the Grayskull base for the He-Man statue.

When Adora transforms into She-Ra, she starts out with Grayskull in the background and then it phases over to the Crystal Castle. So changing the rock area to green would allow both to be represented and make some degree of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Here's a photo sent to He-Man.Org from PCS with improved lighting.
    It looks much better in that photo!

ka
    It isn't a gray quarry, it is Skydancer Mountain that the Crystal Castle sits on top of.

That's She-Ra.... it's amazing the difference the wrong shade of gold could make to her look! I have a nasty feeling there is going to be a cat scrap for this statue!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

This is a must have for me..absolutely perfect

Jerry Macaluso just posted this on Statueforum:

"The thing is..

There is no such thing as an exact representation of a hand drawn 80s cartoon character.

They change depending on the angle they were drawn in. None of the drawings actually match.

The artist at the time changed the designs to favor the angles they were drawing at.

Its simply impossible to achieve a 3D sculpture of these characters that matches all angles. None of our statues have achieved that and no one elses can either. 100% impossible.

So what we do is make an amalgamation usually favoring the front view. For most people that fools them into thinking it is 'perfect', but if you go through animation cells you will see none of the sculptures match all of the angles.

Ive looked over everything and frankly, I think my eye is pretty well trained. Going by the front view (which is our priority), the only comment being made that I think has some substance is the tiara being very slightly high. That we will probably change in the tooling.

But everything else, eye shape, etc, is IMO as a 20 year professional is as correct as can be in 3 dimensions. Sure you can pic a 3/4 view that doesnt match, but if we matched that 3/4 view the front view would then not match.

Thats simply the nature of translating 2d art into 3D.

As far as the colors on the gold parts of the costume, thats probably my fault as on the teaser images we used a 3D light source that was hot and blew out the color a bit so it looks much more yellow than it really is."

Jerry is apparently going to lower the tiara. I think this is a big mistake...seeing her In the corrected colors I think she is absolutely perfect and dosent need this change.

Does anyone who felt that way before still feel the same way seeing this new pic? If you now think she looks right I suggest you raise your voices very quickly or the head sculpt is going to be changed.

Jerry I think she looks perfect now I see her like this and do no believe she needs her tiara lowered. Just adding my 2 cents worth!

Joe very kindly did a Photoshop to show what the tiara could look like lowered. Personally I think the difference is so slight it's not really worth it.

But I respect others may see it very differently!

He also edited a larger chest. I think this makes her look a little older.
    Last edited by Angel-T; March 22, 2016 at 05:01pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

So, I have looked at the email picture for a couple of days now, I thought from the get-go that the face looked off as well. While searching for the post on the forums here to voice my concerns, I must say that when I came across the "lowered" picture it works. Lowering the Tiara is the right call. I kept comparing my picture to my Teela statue, and was no where near happy till I compared the "lowered" picture. The face just looks right after its lowered. Is the base not going to have an actual gem set into it? Also if the "rock base" is mean't to be the mountain, Then the wings shape on the base is wrong. I think the gemstones cut for the base is wrong. I also have some questions as to if her sword, tiara, and bodice will have actual gemstones?

I'm getting her, just like I've gotten Teela, Sorceress, and Evil-lynn. Just don't want the artist to feel like it's bashing their work. I'm just so excited for this statue. This one's "perfection" counts more for me I guess.

Pic of castle for ref. she_ra__crystal_castle_3d_by_zentron-d4ew22b.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Jerry Macaluso just posted this on Statueforum:

"The thing is..

There is no such thing as an exact representation of a hand drawn 80s cartoon character.

They change depending on the angle they were drawn in. None of the drawings actually match.

The artist at the time changed the designs to favor the angles they were drawing at.

Its simply impossible to achieve a 3D sculpture of these characters that matches all angles. None of our statues have achieved that and no one elses can either. 100% impossible.

So what we do is make an amalgamation usually favoring the front view. For most people that fools them into thinking it is 'perfect', but if you go through animation cells you will see none of the sculptures match all of the angles.

Ive looked over everything and frankly, I think my eye is pretty well trained. Going by the front view (which is our priority), the only comment being made that I think has some substance is the tiara being very slightly high. That we will probably change in the tooling.

But everything else, eye shape, etc, is IMO as a 20 year professional is as correct as can be in 3 dimensions. Sure you can pic a 3/4 view that doesnt match, but if we matched that 3/4 view the front view would then not match.

Thats simply the nature of translating 2d art into 3D.

As far as the colors on the gold parts of the costume, thats probably my fault as on the teaser images we used a 3D light source that was hot and blew out the color a bit so it looks much more yellow than it really is."

Jerry is apparently going to lower the tiara. I think this is a big mistake...seeing her In the corrected colors I think she is absolutely perfect and dosent need this change.

Does anyone who felt that way before still feel the same way seeing this new pic? If you now think she looks right I suggest you raise your voices very quickly or the head sculpt is going to be changed.

Jerry I think she looks perfect now I see her like this and do no believe she needs her tiara lowered. Just adding my 2 cents worth!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...psjlrrgxqz.jpg
    http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps3motljun.jpg

Joe very kindly did a Photoshop to show what the tiara could look like lowered. Personally I think the difference is so slight it's not really worth it. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...pscvdan4vb.jpg

But I respect others may see it very differently!

He also edited a larger chest. I think this makes her look a little older.http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...pshhpyiad5.jpg
    Last edited by Bilboynnc; March 22, 2016 at 05:55pm. Reason: wanted to clairfy
    By the Power of : For the Honor of : IN THE NAME OF GREYSKULL!

Anyone know a round about release date for this gorgeous statue? Thanks.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Cool to hear he's listening so closely to feedback. I can see the tiara being lowered as a nice adjustment, sure. Can't argue at all with the multiple flat angle drawings to 3D stuff. And it just looks really good.

I'm not so sure we're seeing accurate colors as much as we're seeing color correction in post, but that's just the way photos are. There's never been a glaring mistake so it's hard to expect one here. As far as the figure goes.

Now, sure the base is supposed to be a nod to the top of the crystal castle and the coloring of the mountain it rests upon. But I'm not sure that's enough to make it work. If the rocks were way more rugged, like the actual mountain, instead of looking like a capped off water well (not trying to cut it down, I just don't have a great example to convey a visual), then it would be better.

Plus the big thing attached to the front of it. Just not a pretty sight. Like, it's not even gaudy cool, or ultra kid glamourous. It unfortunately feels cheap looking to me. It's actually hard to get past.

Great figure! Now, who can make me a custom base!? All you need to do is cast around a couple (maybe even one like Skele) leg pegs.

I have to say I'm not completely enamoured with the figure. It gives me the feeling of being the daughter of She-Ra rather than of She-Ra herself. Perhaps, it's the figures youthful appearance as shown by the lack of obvious eyelashes, the perfect skin, the thin neck, and the lack of toned arms.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

I'm glad they are lowering the tiara a tad. Just for fun, I took this into Photoshop and (totally forgetting source material) just moved it to where I think, visually, it "feels" right to me.

It was an interesting exercise, to me, just because I realized how much farther down I want it to be in my mind's eye and how far off that would be from the actual model sheet. (Her hair is too voluminous like this though for sure.)

sheracomp.jpg

Oh, and as for the base - I really like it! I like the contrast between the figure and wing/gem detailing and the gray brick. I think it helps it stand out a bit better. She-Ra is really tempting, but I decided to sell my EX. Skeletor and I think I'm going to sell my He-man too. As much as I like these, I don't have a ton of room and kind of had to pick and choose what I wanted to collect. But man, She-Ra looks so good.
    Last edited by JonWes; March 23, 2016 at 04:11pm.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

I think the Photoshop Joe did is much closer to the Filmation aesthetic!

I feel this falls closer to the positioning of the 2002 design of the her tiara.

That tiara was a beautiful design, but is much lower than the Filmation positioning of She-Ra's tiara and this statue is suppossed to be representing Filmation She-Ra. If a change has to be made (which I hope it doesn't!) I hope it is kept to an absolute minimal change and still represents what Filmation She-Ra actually looked like, (she had a high forehead....so did Teela) not a blurring of the lines between the position of the Filmation and 2004 2k She-Ra tiaras.
    Last edited by Angel-T; March 23, 2016 at 09:57pm.