Thread: The Sopinsky appreciation thread

The Sopinsky appreciation thread

Today I was looking back at the 2015 figures and I realized that (taking out PD Teela which most likely was the result of a mold issue) almost all of them have been actually very solid design-wise. I mean, unlike the past years, it seems to me that none of the figures were clearly ruined by heavy design errors (bloated armor and issues of the sort..).
    We got:

Lizard Man - no issues
    Ninjor - no issues
    SA He-Man + BA King Hiss - some traces of bloated armor on KH
    Huntara - no issues (axe from oo-lar but that's mispackaging)
    Oo-lar - no issues
    Angella - derpy eyes but that's not a design thing
    Skeletor Robot Knights - no issues
    Blast Attak - doesn't split and armor is not removable, but turned out great
    Squeeeeze - no issues
    Multi-Bot - no issues
    Peekablue - no issues
    Calix - no issues
    Rotar & Twistoid - no issues
    Mara - no issues
    Evilseed - no issues
    Buzz-saw Hordak - no issues, was more well-recieved than we thought
    Saurod - no issues
    King Choobla - no issues
    Perfuma - rose gun too heavy
    FF He-man+TC Skeletor - No vac-metal and slightly bloated armor on HM, dark skin on SK
    Ceratus - no issues
    Dragstor - black chest and head with limited movements but turned out great nontheless
    Queen Grayskull - no issues
    Dare - no issues
    Prahavus - no issues
    LP He-Man+LL Skeletor - some would have preferred articulation over lights but vintage was perfectly replicated

Of course I'm sure I'm missing something, but all in all I'm VERY satisfied by 2015's figures, they all look AWESOME.
    So I'd like to thank Brandon (or whoever is now in charge of design) for his good work, it's been a huge improvement over Ruben's.

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by tumalu; December 18, 2015 at 05:47pm.

Yep. I think the wins over shadow the errors in light of a lot of transition at Mattel.

The only thing is the Buzz-Saw Hordak being great with giving him the hollow torso probably was the culprit (or partly) to blame for the King Hsss torso being missing from the 2015 sub. However I do agree that from a design perspective 2015 has been flawless
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

I think you're giving FF He-Man too much credit. My opinion is that this figure displayed the worst bloated armor in the entire line. And he had serious derp eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    The only thing is the Buzz-Saw Hordak being great with giving him the hollow torso probably was the culprit (or partly) to blame for the King Hsss torso being missing from the 2015 sub. However I do agree that from a design perspective 2015 has been flawless
    I'd rather get a perfect Buzz-saw Hordak and pay for Snake KH than get the flawed Rio Blast we got the previous year.
    People have been asking for Rio-Blast to get a 2.0...having to buy two Rio Blast versions costs actually the same than paying for a Rio Blast properly designed since the beginning and a new King Hiss..plus you are getting different figures and not a double of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I think you're giving FF He-Man too much credit. My opinion is that this figure displayed the worst bloated armor in the entire line. And he had serious derp eyes.
    Yep, I agree it's bloathed, but not Rio Blast or Sea Hawk bloated...derpy eyes it's not a design issue though.
    I think that two-pack has been the most flawed release of the whole year.
    Last edited by tumalu; December 18, 2015 at 05:11pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    I think you are right and he has been a great choice for MOTUC but his run isnīt as flawless as it may look like.

Peekablue has reversed boots. Not a big issue but itīs a flaw.

Mara suffers from stiff thigh articulation why not give her the same that Angela or Huntara got? That would make her a much more pose able figure.

And Perfumas bazooka rose is way to heavy…

But thatīs nit picking on my part.

I really appreciate him and what he has done for us!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

He's better than Ruben but he's not perfect.

I could argue that:
    Lizard Man - no ab crunch.
    Ninjor - No real chain on nunchaku
    SA He-Man + BA King Hiss - some traces of bloated armor on KH Loss of Articulation (Boot cut) on He-Man
    Huntara - Inability to have her "Light sabers" turned off... Hasbro can do it on 3 inch and 6 inch scales and Mattel cannot do it!?
    Oo-lar - no issues
    Angella - derpy eyes (not Brandon's issue more like a factory issue)
    Skeletor Robot Knights - Stickers are hard to remove from sheet or figure without damaging them. Base is a bit too light and topples easily.
    Blast Attak - doesn't split and armor is not removable. Wasted opportunity on using Trap Jaw's shoulders without making them removable to at least have an explosive new version of his blast attack.
    Squeeeeze - no issues
    Multi-Bot - no issues
    Peekablue - odd handle on fan, slight stability issues with peacock feathers. color palette was a bit limited (metallic light blue on a light blue of similar shade makes her look a bit unfinished.)
    Calix - no issues
    Rotar & Twistoid - Plastic Cahin on Rotar's Ax.
    Mara - Battleground Teela thighs and no boot cut make it hard to pose her in a dynamic battle pose.
    Evilseed - no issues
    Buzz-saw Hordak - Wasted tooling budget on a torso that would have been better used for Dragstor. Spinning Buzzsaw cannot be displayed on the figure unless using some sort of adhesive putty on the Torso flap. Bumped the Snake Torso for King Hssss to 2016
    Saurod - no issues
    King Chooblah - no issues
    Perfuma - cannot hold weapon in hands because it's too heavy and the left hand is a spell casting hand.
    FF He-man+TC Skeletor - No vac-metal and slightly bloated armor on HM, dark skin on SK. Clunky spinning mace on He-Man
    Ceratus - no issues
    Dragstor - No working wheel and rigid whip.
    Queen Grayskull - no widespread issues although I've seen a few that have the helmet glued on wrong.
    Dare - Not Brandon's fault, but those swords have thick flash lines on them that make them look like bad third party casts.
    Prahvus - no issues
    LP He-Man+LL Skeletor - Unnecessarily Large Backpacks because the vintage figures had them. Reduced Articulation on Skeletor even when it could have been made and keep SOME of the Articulation and have the (not really necessary) Light up feature. Non Removable head because of Action Feature

but yes, had this year been a Ruben year, the complaints would be A LOT MORE.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I could argue that:
    Wow, I guess I'm too easy to be pleased
    I applaud your attention to details but, from my point of view, most of these points stand as quite minor issues.

I agree on Perfuma's rose blaster, that was a clear design mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Wow, I guess I'm too easy to be pleased
    I applaud your attention to details but, from my point of view, most of these points stand as quite minor issues.

I agree on Perfuma's rose blaster, that was a clear design mistake.
    That's the issue that Each designer has to deal with. What's a HUGE issue to one, it's a minor issue to another.
    I'm sure that there could be someone who could have even more issues.

But with all that said, Brandon has done a Pretty great job... I only wish he had replaced Terry Higuchi instead of Ruben...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    And Perfumas bazooka rose is way to heavy…
    I'd say that's more of a sculpting error than design. The accessory was just way too big for the figure.

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Totally Dyslexic
    I'd say that's more of a sculpting error than design. The accessory was just way too big for the figure.
    The FOUR HORSEMEN make the prototype/paint master and than Mattels design finds a way to make a mass produced figure out of that. That includes the materials and in Brandons case sometimes even improving the figures like Lizard-Mans hands and Maras braids.

But maybe iīm wrong and even another departure decides the materials.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Thanks for a great 2015 Brandon. Very much looking forward to all of 2016 and how it plays out.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    The FOUR HORSEMEN make the prototype/paint master and than Mattels design finds a way to make a mass produced figure out of that. That includes the materials and in Brandons case sometimes even improving the figures like Lizard-Mans hands and Maras braids.

But maybe iīm wrong and even another departure decides the materials.
    But once the accessories are sculpted it's not like you can use a light as air plastic. The size always dictated the weight and even if it were hollowed out inside it would likely still be too heavy.

Heroic Warrior
    If nothing else he will always have my appreciation for pushing the filmation figures to be simply cartoon figures with no details, underdone designs and limited paint

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

I appreciate that he's easy on the eyes
    A PONY!!!

"I think it's time to admit the truth, I never grew out of wanting to be a vampire slayer... and probably never will"

MattyCollector, innovators in redefining honestly and transparency since 2015
    I really really hate BS Hordak

Totally Dyslexic
    But once the accessories are sculpted it's not like you can use a light as air plastic. The size always dictated the weight and even if it were hollowed out inside it would likely still be too heavy.
    Your right, the bigger the sculpt more plastic will be needed. But the female hair for example, Battleground Teelas Hair is stiff and hard plastic but figures like Mermista have that new softer gummy like plastic and thatīs a great solution.

I have to disagree with the OP. There have been plenty of issues. Ruben was worse granted. That guy was the worst thing to happen the line IMO.

I don't see how you can find Ruben's bloated armour acceptable but Branden's bloated armour is OK. Either you are bothered by bloat or not...

Lizard Man - Too tall
    Ninjor - Unmasked head sits too low. (OK without armour)
    SA He-Man + BA King Hiss - Bloated armour armour on He-Man but harder to notice because it's only on one side and still un removable anyway.
    Blast Attak - Armour is un removable and hides his neck
    Saurod - Head too big and helmet sits high
    FF He-man+TC Skeletor - Derpy eyes on both of them. Fat armour on He-Man. The claws are poorly designed on many levels. Skeletor's forearms are dented by the attachment system
    Ceratus - Fat Armour
    Dragstor - Torso colour. Unnecessary new ugly tooling on gloves. Cross bow doesn't seem to fit in back pack in a logical way. It always looks upside down
    Dare - Belt cut from figure. Thick harness on the sides
    LP He-Man+LL Skeletor - Hood too big for Skeletor

China in raised lettering on weapons. Figures are coming with thicker weapon handles now and more open hands to match eg. FF HM and Dragstor. Why? Why change what isn't broken? The Upcoming Filmation figures are a mess. Thick harness on HM. Terrible new ankle articulation.

While we don't exactly know who is responsible for what with these figures. Brandon is hardly doing much better than the last guy IMO but at the end of the day you are happy with your figures Which is great. I wish I was too

I should note there are things that have been done well but that is a much smaller list

Well different materials are different weights. Ninjor's quiver for instance is a hard hollow piece like the torsos which is unusual for an accessory in this line.

Quote Originally Posted by claw guy 3 View Post
    I don't see how you can find Ruben's bloated armour acceptable but Branden's bloated armour is OK. Either you are bothered by bloat or not...
    I am, but I find it to be noticeable only on FF HM and BA KH out of 30 figures. Ceratus is fine, as far as my liking is concerned.
    It's a pity but two out of 30 I can live with.

Heroic Warrior

I'm a huge fan of Brandon. I'm sure some of the issues mentioned above were overflow from Ruben that Brandon wasn't able to fix due to time/budgets.
    But my biggest head scratcher is why was Flying Fist He-Man missing his red clip when Skeletor received his?!

Court Magician
    who is sopinsky? is he the lead designer on motuc?

Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by snowbeast View Post
    who is sopinsky? is he the lead designer on motuc?
    Correct. From memory he took over mid to late 2015.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
    I appreciate that he's easy on the eyes
    Hahahaha!!!! I second that!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I've loved all Brandon's influence since the webbing on Lizard Man's hands. Even though there were a few questionable design choices (no vac metal on He-Man, Mara's BG Teela legs), overall he has been fantastic for the line. 2015 was a great year...it won't ever touch my 2014, but there is not one bad item in 2015. I even learned to like PD Teela.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I was lucky as my FF He-Man arrived with perfect eyes.

I only wish Queen Grayskull hadn't arrived with cross eyes. Totally ruins her. I display her at an angle so you can't notice as you never see her straight on.
    Jay