Thread: Why was Faker re-released in 1987?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

Why was Faker re-released in 1987?

I remember when my sister and I first discovered Faker with the 1987 wave of figures. He was instantly one of her favorites. Faker also had a role as a seemingly new character in "The Search for Keldor". Thanks us, he was a new figure.

But alas, years later, probably thanks to searching the toy listing the .org, I saw that Faker originally came out in 1983 for the second wave of the line. Confused I was.

So, what was Mattel's reasoning to re-release/re-issue Faker in 1987, essentially under the guise of a new character?

Does anyone know? Simply parts sharing? Replacing a scrapped '87 slot with Faker? Did Faker suffer from a limited release in 1983? (I never remember seeing him in the mid-80's as I began collecting.)

Also, was anyone confused who got the 1983 release as to why Faker came out again in 1987?

I think in USA that the Faker history was probably pretty similar than in Europe, this character simply not meet a real success on the market the first years, I remember my mother saying when I wanted mine (back to 83) "hey, but you already have He-Man, why do you want it in a blue color now? Choose an other figure that you do not already have".
    For most of the parents it was just a recolored blue/oranged He-Man (blue for a human skin? most of them found the color also ridiculous)

To show you what I mean by no succes: Back to 83' again, Faker in Europe has been sold officially only in few countries: UK & France (& later in Belgium) as I know, all the other countries just never got him on sale (it is why a Faker on European card is so rare).
    Before a launch on the market, you had the famous professional toy shows where each brand was presenting the future toys to come, I can just imagine that the other countries refused this character because it was just, at their eyes, a He-Man painted in blue with only few Skeletor accessories, like most of the parents were thinking when they were crossing him on sale later: This character makes no sense.
    It is also why many of us have simply no childhood memories of him: many toy stores just did not want to sell him, probably afraid of keeping it as unsold stock (by the past you had to invest in a full case of 12...understandable).
    Faker disappeared from the french toy stores in the year 84, I think it is exactly the same thing for USA.

Now why this figure has been reissued in the year 87?
    It is easy to explain on my side: if you are looking at the last Motu wave you can see many many old molds reused to do few of the figures (Clamp Champ: Fisto armor w/ He-Man's body, Scare Glow: Skeletor's body and a Castle Grayskull accessory, Ninjor: Skeletor's body and Eternia's playset accessories, King Randor w/ Jitsu armor and again a Castle Grayskull weapon + He-Man body).
    Take a look at the previous wave: you had 100% new tooled characters as Snout Spout, Rio Blast, Rock peoples, Extendar, Horde Troopers, Multi Bot etc
    I just think about the Faker reissued in the year 87 that Mattel wanted to save on the tooling costages and this figure was a perfect choice to add it as a "comming back" character to complete the last wave with minimal fees and maybe with the idea of better sales for him than by the past.
    On the other side in Europe: he has never been reissued in the year 87, you can see him at few european backcards from the last wave but never launched (I just remember few 87 canadian cards of him crossed in France, but I never found one surfaced in the collector market since this time).
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; August 6, 2015 at 11:37pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    It is also why many of us have simply no childhood memories of him: many toy stores just did not want to sell him, probably afraid of keeping it as unsold stock (by the past you had to invest in a full case of 12...understandable).

I never ever saw a Faker toy in my life . I actually recall seeing Bluebeard Stratos so technically Faker was even more rare . My father had lots of gripes about buying Motu because as far as he cared they all had the same body , just different heads and colours. I agree that no shop wants to stock shelf warmers and faker was at the top of the risk list .

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    I never ever saw a Faker toy in my life . I actually recall seeing Bluebeard Stratos so technically Faker was even more rare . My father had lots of gripes about buying Motu because as far as he cared they all had the same body , just different heads and colours. I agree that no shop wants to stock shelf warmers and faker was at the top of the risk list .
    One of my friends had a Faker in 83. I thought he was pretty cool, I liked the weird colors

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I think in USA that the Faker history was probably pretty similar than in Europe, this character simply not meet a real success on the market the first years, I remember my mother saying when I wanted mine (back to 83) "hey, but you already have He-Man, why do you want it in a blue color now? Choose an other figure that you do not already have".
    For most of the parents it was just a recolored blue/oranged He-Man (blue for a human skin? most of them found the color also ridiculous)

To show you what I mean by no succes: Back to 83' again, Faker in Europe has been sold officially only in few countries: UK & France (& later in Belgium) as I know, all the other countries just never got him on sale (it is why a Faker on European card is so rare).
    Before a launch on the market, you had the famous professional toy shows where each brand was presenting the future toys to come, I can just imagine that the other countries refused this character because it was just, at their eyes, a He-Man painted in blue with only few Skeletor accessories, like most of the parents were thinking when they were crossing him on sale later: This character makes no sense.
    Faker disappeared from the french toy stores in the year 84, I think it is exactly the same thing for USA.

Now why this figure has been reissued in the year 87?
    It is easy to explain on my side: if you are looking at the last Motu wave you can see many many old molds reused to do few of the figures (Clamp Champ: Fisto armor w/ He-Man's body, Scare Glow: Skeletor's body and a Castle Grayskull accessory, Ninjor: Skeletor's body and Eternia's playset accessories, King Randor w/ Jitsu armor and again a Castle Grayskull weapon + He-Man body).
    Take a look at the previous wave: you had 100% new tooled characters as Snout Spout, Rio Blast, Rock peoples, Extendar, Horde Troopers, Multi Bot etc
    I just think about the Faker reissued in the year 87 that Mattel wanted to save on the tooling costages and this figure was a perfect choice to add it as a "comming back" character to complete the last wave with minimal fees and maybe with the idea of better sales for him than by the past.
    On the other side in Europe: he has never been reissued in the year 87, you can see him at few european backcards from the last wave but never launched (I just remember few 87 canadian cards of him crossed in France, but I never found one surfaced in the collector market since this time).
    This is great information, thanks for sharing it!

Heroic Nocturnal Warrior Sleeper's Avatar
    That was indeed great information. I don't really have anything more to add but just thought I'd include this little Faker story of mine that I copied and pasted from one of my firsts posts here in the forums many years ago. I had listed him as #2 on my all-time favorite characters list and gave a brief story to go along with it......

2) Faker - where do I start? All I know is I saw this figure at a store many, many miles away from my house when I was a kid (we use to have to travel 40-some miles to somewhere just outside of Washington, D.C. to do any decent Christmas shopping. I still live in the same county however everything we need is now within a 10 mile radius). Anyhow, I saw Faker and I was like, oh my God, its Faker. I recall thinking that I should inform my mom that this MOTU figure that we never see down our way is here and we need to get him but I thought, Santa already knows this. Well, believe it or not, to this day, that is the LAST time I have ever seen Faker in the flesh. I kid you not. Anyway, the fact that he was so elusive and that the only time I saw him on tv - he wasn't blue - he looked just like He-Man (with the exception of his eyes) puts him right up there near the top of my list.
    *~*~PITTSBURGH STEELERS~*~*
    *6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
    1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Faker was the first figure I ever got. It was in 1983. I was strangely obsessed by the commercials and box art I'd seen throughout the previous year, and finally asked for a figure. Faker was hanging on a peg at Child World. There was no He-Man there, and Faker was the closest one to him. I asked my dad for it, and to my surprise, he got it for me. I still have my original Faker.

Anyway, later on, my friend Norman became fixated on trying to find Faker but he couldn't ever locate him. I think it was driving him mad that I had a figure he didn't have. lol! I called the 800 number for Mattel, as I often did (probably much to their chagrin), told them my friend really wanted Faker, and asked why he was so hard to find. I was told, "Faker has been discontinued." I told Norman, and he was CRUSHED.

Flash-forward to a couple of years later. I'm in KB Toy Works, and whadaya know, there's Faker with a "He's Back!" burst on his card.

I hadn't talked to Norman in awhile, but I decided to call when I saw the figure and tell him that Faker was back. His response, "Oh yeah? Eh, I'm not into He-Man anymore." I was kind of disappointed because I thought he'd still be excited considering how much he desperately wanted that figure 2 or 3 years earlier! I mean, this was a guy who would call me after Filmation episodes to discuss them with an eager "Did you watch it?" Or vice versa and I'd call him to talk about it. And in school the next day, Norman, and my friend Stephanie and I would have our regular MOTU conversations about the figures and cartoons. I totally hoped he'd flip out, hang up, and run to the toy store to buy up every Faker he could find.

I still have a soft spot for Faker and he's definitely one of my all-time favorites. Besides being the first MOTU figure I got, I just love the crazy colors and the idea of an evil He-Man double.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 1, 2015 at 01:17pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I remember seeing Faker and Evil-Lyn for the first time at a neighborhood kid's house (Spokane Valley, WA). I thought they were both great. The vivid colors really captured my attention. He also had Attak Trak which I'd never seen before.

Love a lot of the stories here, thanks for sharing everyone. Sleeper, have you gotten a Faker since that post? Hope so! Penny, did your friend Norman ever find out how big of a fan you still are after all these years?

One thing does seem clear, Faker was not the easiest figure to acquire, both originally and in 1987!

I think TOKYONEVER's assumption is probably on target, but I'd love if someone in charge or working for Mattel at the time could provide some input on his re-release. (Roger Sweet, where are you?) Maybe all those calls into Mattel caused them to put Faker back into production?

Heroic Warrior
    I remember getting the '83 Faker first but his left leg got all out of shape at the hip band. He wouldn't stand up. I couldn't even get his leg to face forward. My best friend was just getting over MOTU a few years later and casually said he was going to get rid of his figures. I had searched high and low for a new Faker for a very long time but could never find one even after I knew he had been re-released in '87. I offered my best friend $4 whopping dollars for his Faker. Not only could he stand correctly, but his had a sticker on the chest! Mine didn't or if it did I don't remember it ever being there or it had fallen off long ago and I never noticed it was there in the first place. Still have him to this day- sticker and all.

I figured they re-released him because the Filmation cartoon became so popular.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Penny, did your friend Norman ever find out how big of a fan you still are after all these years?
    Nope, I tried to find him to see how he was doing but never did manage to track him down. I think he moved away from the area. I hope we cross paths one day. If I find him, I'm totally going to buy and send him a Faker figure.

On a related note, I did manage to find my classmate Stephanie, who was also a big fan back then. Stephanie, Norman, and I would always have our daily MOTU conversations at school. I remember she was obsessed with the Sorceress and was always drawing her. When I found Stephanie on FB a couple of years back, we chatted mostly about life stuff, but of course I mentioned that I was still obsessed with Masters of the Universe. She is no longer into it though. To most folks, it's just a fond memory from childhood.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Nope, I tried to find him to see how he was doing but never did manage to track him down. I think he moved away from the area. I hope we cross paths one day. If I find him, I'm totally going to buy and send him a Faker figure.

On a related note, I did manage to find my classmate Stephanie, who was also a big fan back then. Stephanie, Norman, and I would always have our daily MOTU conversations at school. I remember she was obsessed with the Sorceress and was always drawing her. When I found Stephanie on FB a couple of years back, we chatted mostly about life stuff, but of course I mentioned that I was still obsessed with Masters of the Universe. She is no longer into it though. To most folks, it's just a fond memory from childhood.
    Yep, we're the ones who never grew out of it! Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Widget
    Interesting thread. My experience was a little different. Before He-man and Battlecat, before Skeletor, I received Faker in 1983, and he was actually my first MOTU figure. In fact, there was a time prior to receiving He-Man, but after having Skeletor, that Faker stood in as He-Man! Later on, I think it was 1986, I went to KayBee and purchased 2 more fakers on sale (close out?), this time they were the hard head variety.

Heroic Warrior
    It's interesting that the experience of others somewhat mimic my own re: Faker. I also remember getting the figure in 1983, and for whatever reason I got this before I got the regular He-man figure. I always thought (and still think) Faker is a cooler-looking figure/character than He-man. I think the version I had was the soft-head version, but I may have also gotten a later version with the hard rubber head.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    To most folks, it's just a fond memory from childhood.
    Agreed. I remember being in MOTU as a kid back in the day, and then "outgrowing" it (ha ha) in the latter part of the '80's. IIRC, I unloaded a lot/most of my MOTU toys at that time.

Then, back in 2001, I was @ TRU and noticed that there was a "commemorative" set with several Vintage figures (He-man, Prince Adam, Beast Man, etc.). I got this purely out of nostalgia, and then soon after I read online about the MOTU re-launch coming out in 2002. I ended up collecting a lot of those figures as well. I never got into the MOTU Classics (the online-only aspect made it tough for me to collect those), but I've still kept up with other aspects of MOTU over the years.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; December 15, 2017 at 08:09pm.

Faker definitely had the mystique of being a "rare" figure to me when I was little. I never saw him in a store, and only one of my friends claimed to have seen one. I finally got my childhood Faker at a garage sale. When I saw him there, it felt like I'd won the lottery! He had little dots of silver paint on one leg, as if someone was using spraypaint nearby and some stray particles had landed on him. That made him even cooler to me, as it was like he had "battle damage," and his metal interior was showing through.

Court Magician
    I got Faker very early on. Don't really remember getting him, definitely original release Faker. I remember being vaguely disappointed that Faker did not match the cartoon Faker... which was just He-Man.

My Faker had that leg problem discussed above, as does my Skeletor. Gave Faker to my kid and he promptly ripped both legs off. Ah well.