Thread: Castle Grayskull restoration/repair thread

Castle Grayskull restoration/repair thread

This is my first video showing the restoration of castle greyskull.

https://youtu.be/OTDNMRH-SOU

I'll be filming more soon covering some extra issues. If you would like me to cover anything specific, comment on the video.

Cheers
    Video Reviews, Toy fixing and more

Follow me on YouTube Toy Polloi
    Follow me on twitter @toy_polloi
    Follow me on facebook ToyPolloi

Great vid. Well done

Great job, plenty of info to make some an old played with castle look new again.

Castle Greyskull throne repair guide

Hi Guys,

My latest repair guide is up:

You can watch the rest of my Greyskull restoration here:

Enjoy

Toy Polloi
    Video Reviews, Toy fixing and more

Follow me on YouTube Toy Polloi
    Follow me on twitter @toy_polloi
    Follow me on facebook ToyPolloi

I'm currently in the process of replacing the Elevator Rail in my vintage Castle Grayskull.

Any suggestions on how to remove an Elevator peg that's broken off inside the lower tab of the castle wall???

It won't budge!

Elevator Peg.jpg
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    I'm currently in the process of replacing the Elevator Rail in my vintage Castle Grayskull.

Any suggestions on how to remove an Elevator peg that's broken off inside the lower tab of the castle wall???

It won't budge!

Elevator Peg.jpg
    I would find a drill bit that's just large enough to twist into the peg hold by hand (I wouldn't use the actual drill). That should give you enough leverage to pull the whole thing out

Thank you! That did the trick - took a few minutes and a little bit of elbow grease - but the drill bit worked and the castle wasn't damaged.
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    Thank you! That did the trick - took a few minutes and a little bit of elbow grease - but the drill bit worked and the castle wasn't damaged.
    Nice, glad it worked out!

Court Magician
    Didn't know exactly where to put this so here seems like as good a place as any. Basically I just want to complain for a minute.

When I was a kid my parents got my Castle Grayskull for Christmas or my birthday one year to go with the He-Man figures I had. I never got another major playset from any action figure line ever again, and the reason they always gave me was how expensive Castle Grayskull was and how quickly it broke.

Fast forward some number of years. One day I grabbed a loose and mostly complete Castle Grayskull on eBay because I thought it was going for too low a price and I thought I could re-sell it at a better number. Blah blah blah I decided I was wrong and so I hung on to it. My son got to be old enough and I thought he might want it (3). And, indeed, he liked it. But boy, as an adult, did I find out the truth: my parents were right. The thing is ridiculously fragile. It feels like they made it for about $5. The one I bought is now broken in every way of course. Compare this to the much more robust, and simply better toy, that you find in the Fisher Price castle from the 1970s. I bought my son one of those once it became clear Castle Grayskull was not up to snuff. Just a much better, sturdier piece of equipment.

All of this might be forgivable except that Cast Grayskull retailed for $40 back in the day (1983) - basically $100 in today's money! That thing ain't worth $100.

Really kind of shocking as an adult how crappy it is.

The Fisher Price Castle was a great playset for those "Little People". It's 10-lbs of plastic and robust cardboard, designed for toddlers.

Castle Grayskull was taller, wider, and lighter - but it certainly had its share of brittle plastic components. I still love it though...for its menacing sculpt, weapons cache & trap door features, and all those carrying-case trips to my grandparents!

According to U.S. Sears/JCPenney catalogs, the Fisher Price Castle retailed for $16.98 in 1976...Castle Grayskull cost $26.99 in 1982.
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Stumbled upon this cool video of a Vintage & Sealed Castle Grayskull being opened for the first time...

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to Toy Polloi's fantastic restoration videos, here are Retroblasting's two videos:

and

MOTU FAN since 1982